PDA

View Full Version : Irish deadline day transfers

tetsujin1979
01/09/2006, 12:48 AM
taken from the list on football365.com, don't think I've missed anyone

Jonathan Douglas (from Blackburn to Leeds, undisclosed)
Ben Burgess (from Hull to Blackpool, £25,000)
Kevin Kilbane (from Everton to Wigan, undisclosed)
Graham Kavanagh (Wigan to Sunderland, £500,000)
Jon Macken (Crystal Palace to Ipswich, loan)
Liam Miller (Manchester United to Sunderland, free)
David Connolly (Wigan to Sunderland, undisclosed)

On the whole, these are all postive moves, that should result in more first team action for all concerned, bar Kilbane who I think would have been involved in the first team at Everton anyway. On the other hand, having Connolly at Sunderland might mean Murphy getting demoted to the bench or reserves. It's all swings and roundabouts really....
Macken's move to Ipswich means they have 3 Irish strikers in the first team now - Macken, Clarke and Lee - surely this is a first?

The Legend
01/09/2006, 12:50 AM
Well, Sunderland have 3 irish strikers now, Murphy, Elliott and Connolly

Closed Account
01/09/2006, 12:51 AM
Macken's move to Ipswich means they have 3 Irish strikers in the first team now - Macken, Clarke and Lee - surely this is a first?

:confused:
Didn't you just say that Sunderland have 3 Irish Strikers?
Murphy, Elliott, Connolly?

The Legend beat me to it.

Then again, Mackens transfer went through before Connolly's. So maybe it was a first? And now there is a second.

theworm2345
01/09/2006, 1:14 AM
Connolly at Sunderland might mean Murphy getting demoted to the bench or reserves. It's all swings and roundabouts really....
Murphy was actually on the bench last week as well...also they signed Dwight Yorke (probably a sub as hes old)
Also, Connolly's fee was 1.4 mil pounds, and could go up to 1.9, couldnt find Kilbane's

The Legend
01/09/2006, 2:10 AM
When I saw that he also took Liam Miller, I wondered that since he recommended Miller to Fergie, and it didnt work out, does he feel he should take it upon himself to prove he was right about him!?

greatbleddyman
01/09/2006, 8:51 AM
Although not strictly deadline day; my greatest worry from an Irish point of view is Mido to Spurs. With Berbatov already there; there will be a serious squeeze on Keane

endabob1
01/09/2006, 8:56 AM
Unlikely Jol likes 1 big 1 little so it's Mido v Berbatov and Keane v Defoe. Considering Defoe's form has been brutal for the las 12+ months I'd only see RK being rested on occasion but he will start a lot more than Defoe

tetsujin1979
01/09/2006, 8:57 AM
When I saw that he also took Liam Miller, I wondered that since he recommended Miller to Fergie, and it didnt work out, does he feel he should take it upon himself to prove he was right about him!?

Ferguson went for Miller after seeing him score in the Champion's League at Celtic Park, Keane had little or nothing to do with it.

eirebhoy
01/09/2006, 9:59 AM
Although not strictly deadline day; my greatest worry from an Irish point of view is Mido to Spurs. With Berbatov already there; there will be a serious squeeze on Keane
I wouldn't worry about Keane's place at all. It'd be like Wayne Rooney getting worried if United signed Shevchenko. He won't be dropped unless he really deserves to be.

Who's our best striker?
Mido
21%
21% [ 32 ]

Keane
36%
36% [ 54 ]

Defoe
18%
18% [ 28 ]

Berbatov
24%
24% [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 150
http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35108

:)

Stuttgart88
01/09/2006, 10:08 AM
If Keane, Elliott, Murphy etc. are good enough, they'll be able to rise to the competition. We were all worried about Robbie this time last year but his response was commendable.

Yorke is probably only a short-term fill up at Sunderland anyway.

One concern I do have is Elliott's positioning. He's played just about everywhere except outright striker for Ireland, and he seems to spend most of his time at Sunderland on the right touchline. Whether he's told to do this or that's where he has to go to get involved I don't know.

tetsujin1979
01/09/2006, 10:23 AM
http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=35108

:)

Similarly:
From http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthread.php?t=156979

Which of Roy's signings have impressed you the most?
David Connolly 68 12.59%
Liam Miller 118 21.85%
Graham Kavanagh 288 53.33%
Stan Varga 30 5.56%
Dwight Yorke 118 21.85%
Ross Wallace 22 4.07%
Not impressed by any of them 24 4.44%

thelimerick
01/09/2006, 11:00 AM
If
Yorke is probably only a short-term fill up at Sunderland anyway.

He signed a two year contract AFAIK

Scram
01/09/2006, 3:33 PM
Ferguson went for Miller after seeing him score in the Champion's League at Celtic Park, Keane had little or nothing to do with it.

And berated him on MUTV.

Hard not to wish Quinny and the Irish contingent well and there's always the support for the Irishman producing results in England....but then there's the little niggling matter of Saipan which makes me wish Roy Keane as much success in his management career as in his footballing career............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................at Celtic! ;)

theworm2345
01/09/2006, 5:14 PM
Saipan

November 24th should be interesting

joema
01/09/2006, 9:59 PM
Re Yorke - maybe he was bought as a midfielder - where he played - and played well in the world cup

Colbert Report
01/09/2006, 11:35 PM
Yorke as a midfielder? Why? They have Kavanaugh and Miller now.