PDA

View Full Version : Kilbane, Kavanagh, Douglas having medicals

Armando
31/08/2006, 11:24 AM
Kilbane at Wigan
Kavanagh at Sunderland
Douglas at Leeds.

They have left the Ireland squad to have medicals. This shows up the transfer window to be the farce it truly is. The timing of it is ludicrous:mad:

bwagner
31/08/2006, 11:51 AM
Damn rite amando

source???

tetsujin1979
31/08/2006, 11:52 AM
It's on football365 and skysports

joeSoap
31/08/2006, 12:04 PM
Confirmed...

drummerboy
31/08/2006, 12:45 PM
RTE news say Liam Miller to Sunderland also.

youngirish
31/08/2006, 12:58 PM
If its true its nice to see Keane sticking by the Irish players he knows and loves.

What are the chances of an all Irish Sunderland first eleven in the not too distant future? So far we have a Centre Back (Cunningham), Right Back (Delap), Daryl Muprhy can play Left Back like last year (unlikely I know), A midfield containing Lawrence, Kavanagh, Miller and Billy Dennehy (if he hasn't been released yet). Up front Elliot and Saddler (who is training with the club). Just missing a Goalie and another Centre Back.

Stick Quinn in goal a la Italia 90 and Keane can play in defense and it's sorted.

Stuttgart88
31/08/2006, 1:01 PM
It's not just nice, it's quite interesting to see which of the Irish that RMK has played with he actually rates. Miller's move would be very notable in this regard.

youngirish
31/08/2006, 1:12 PM

Is there any link to any news on this to give it some credence? I can't find anything on google.

drummerboy
31/08/2006, 1:26 PM
They announced it on the Radio 1 news at 1.40pm

Irish_Praha
31/08/2006, 1:54 PM
If its true its nice to see Keane sticking by the Irish players he knows and loves.

What are the chances of an all Irish Sunderland first eleven in the not too distant future? So far we have a Centre Back (Cunningham), Right Back (Delap), Daryl Muprhy can play Left Back like last year (unlikely I know), A midfield containing Lawrence, Kavanagh, Miller and Billy Dennehy (if he hasn't been released yet). Up front Elliot and Saddler (who is training with the club). Just missing a Goalie and another Centre Back.

Stick Quinn in goal a la Italia 90 and Keane can play in defense and it's sorted.

Clive Clarke can play LB and stick Murphy up front. I think it's even less likely that Saddlier will play for Sunderland that Keane himself. However hope I'm wrong. I also hope the team pushes on and does well for the rest of the season. I'd be a bit embarrassed if they are a big flop with all the Irish staff there (players and management). It must all be a bit bewildering for a Sunderland fan actually from Sunderland at the moment :cool:

youngirish
31/08/2006, 4:05 PM
drummerboy you are a fountain of untapped knowledge. Why did I ever doubt you?

Link here:

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=24250

DotTV
31/08/2006, 4:34 PM
Douglas to Leeds and Kavanagh and Miller(maybe) to Sunderland.
I know it's a step down but Ireland should benefit by these players getting first team football.

Shelsman
31/08/2006, 4:48 PM
Douglas to Leeds and Kavanagh and Miller(maybe) to Sunderland.
I know it's a step down but Ireland should benefit by these players getting first team football.

Yes, and Monaghan United should get a slice of Jonathan Douglas's transfer fee too according to FIFA rules ( though the amount he went for is undisclosed ).

Shelsman
31/08/2006, 4:50 PM
Jason Byrne and Jason Gavin to Sunderland too if I had my way. Just to prove they can cut it in the Championship.

I see nobody went for the Cork Gimp? :p

Scram
31/08/2006, 5:14 PM
Not the best of preparation for an international, although hopefully Miller won't be starting. O'Brien mentioned here also but nothing about him returning to his club.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1037

Still aghast at Andy Reid being left out of the squad.

I'd prefer Douglas in the middle to Miller..he's sh!te for Ireland and was sh!te at Leeds where as Douglas really produced for Leeds.

thejollyrodger
31/08/2006, 5:23 PM
and miller off to scunderland also !!

Noelys Guitar
31/08/2006, 5:26 PM
Just read on the BBC

Closed Account
31/08/2006, 10:00 PM
From BBC Website

Ben Burgess [Hull - Blackpool] £25,000
David Connolly [Wigan - Sunderland] Undiclosed
Jonathan Douglas [Blackburn - Leeds] Undisclosed
Graham Kavanagh [Wigan - Sunderland] £500,000
Kevin Kilbane [Everton - Wigan] Undisclosed
Jon Macken [Crystal Palace - Ipswich] Loan
Liam Miller [Manchester United - Sunderland] Free
Keith Andrews [Hull - Milton Keynes Dons] Free
Ian Morris [Leeds - S****horpe] Undisclosed

Quite a few Irish on the move over the past couple of days

Liam Millers Medical
http://static.flickr.com/77/230407236_983d8272f8.jpg

ger121
31/08/2006, 10:10 PM
Another Irish player gone to Sunderland. They've just signed David Connolly from Wigan. How many Irish players does that make now at Sunderland 9??

eirebhoy
31/08/2006, 10:40 PM
Liam Miller
Graham Kavanagh
David Connolly
Stephen Elliott
Daryl Murphy
Clive Clarke
Kenny Cunningham
Rory Delap
Liam Lawrence

Any more?

The Legend
31/08/2006, 11:07 PM
I dont know what anyone else thinks, but its kind of embarrasing to have half a country's squad at one lower divison foreign club!

cheifo
31/08/2006, 11:58 PM
500, 000 for Kavanagh, bit pricey at 33 or whatever he is.Hope he does not start against the Germans.

tetsujin1979
01/09/2006, 12:26 AM
According to Sky Sports News, Keith Andrews was made captain of MK Dons after signing for them!!

tetsujin1979
01/09/2006, 9:07 AM
Some comments from a Wigan fan, on a Sunderland board:

Kav is a solid, holding midfielder. He may well end up as your skipper. A good technical brain and ability. Not the fastest of players in the Premiership, but the step down a level should see him being more up to pace. Came on as sub last Saturday, and went clean through once, though the keeper saved his shot. Never scored for us, except in a penalty shoot out. It was just never to be, I'm afraid.

Connolly had limited chances last season, behind Roberts and Camara. However, he's had a good pre-season and has looked really sharp. He came on as a sub last Saturday, and ironically probably looked the best he's looked since arriving. Again, the step down a level sould bare fruit for you chaps.

Best of luck to them both. Both good pro's who always gave 100% for us.

Condex
01/09/2006, 10:47 AM
I dont know what anyone else thinks, but its kind of embarrasing to have half a country's squad at one lower divison foreign club!

I think they've found their level...

pineapple stu
01/09/2006, 12:35 PM
I don't know what anyone else thinks, but it's kind of embarrasing to have half a country's squad at one lower divison foreign club!

Liam Miller - fringe player at best
Graham Kavanagh - most likely candidate for the first XI
David Connolly - hasn't played in a couple of years
Stephen Elliott - fringe player still
Daryl Murphy - yet to make his debut
Clive Clarke - one or two caps in friendlies only
Kenny Cunningham - retired
Rory Delap - hasn't played in years
Liam Lawrence - has he one cap in a friendly?

Not as bad as it looks.

What odds can you get on Sunderland to be promoted? Wonder if it would be worth a punt...

Scram
01/09/2006, 1:24 PM
Yeah, basically, none of them would be in a starting 11..with the exception of Miller...who most certainly should not be.