PDA

View Full Version : If Staunton Proves not to be Good Enough.

youngirish
31/08/2006, 9:24 AM
Throughout the numerous threads on these forums there seems to be very little confidence in Staunton and his abilities as a manager even in these early days of his appointment. There have been a number of comments about giving him the first few games of the campaign to show what he's capable of and if things are looking bad at this stage then he should be replaced with someone else.

While I am one of the greatest critics of Staunton's appointment and do believe his time in charge of Ireland will turn out to be a disaster on the little evidence we have seen so far I have to wonder what decent manager would actually want to replace him if he went?

There was hardly a great amount of interest in the job after Kerr left and there would prove to be far less so if we start this campaign in a very bad fashion and sack our manager after only three or four competitive games. If the Irish job offered one thing over other managerial jobs in the past it was a level of stability. With this gone I can see even less interest in the post next time around than the last appointment.

So the question is who would be the likely candidates to take over from Staunton if things go horribly wrong and who would people most like to see replace him? Maybe an EL manager should be considered next time around.

loscherland
31/08/2006, 9:40 AM
Change "if" to "when"... I honestly don't think Aldridge would be a bad shout & am amazed he was never given the opportunity to stake a claim in the first place

RogerMilla
31/08/2006, 9:59 AM
sorry young irish , i have great respect for the EL but no i would not advocate an EL manager unless it was one who coached an EL team to the group stages of the CL or into the latter stages of the uefa cup. The step up is way too much. The irish job needs a wiley old fox , a manager who has seen it all , a big jack for the new era.

macdermesser
31/08/2006, 10:09 AM
Maybe an EL manager should be considered next time around.

I think the Father Ted sketch with dreams and reality needs to be played for you here .. its not going to happen ..

the only candidate would be Stephen Kenny.. and, like it or loate it, he will have to first move to an English club before Delaney would take notice. If it was 20 years ago he would have been a good appointment .. as would Kerr have been. But players are millionaires these days .. and you need to be some sort of genius/god to them to be able to motivate/scare some of them.

and of course, these types of managers are snapped up already by the big clubs.

I think we should reserve judgement until this campaign is over on Staunton .. the dreary cliched bland persona he projects in press interviews is hopefully not the same guy in the dressing room. Some very odd decisions over the last couple of weeks by him .. just hoping that they are a sign of tactical genius despite their glaring apparent deficiences

Hoping that this thread is closed by some hungover moderator on Sunday morning after another famous Irish win!

youngirish
31/08/2006, 10:18 AM
I think the Father Ted sketch with dreams and reality needs to be played for you here .. its not going to happen ..

In the absence of anyone else it was just a suggestion. I wouldn't like to think we would have to turn to an EL manager but they all have better experience than Staunton and are managing at a higher level than he ever did.

Hoping that this thread is closed by some hungover moderator on Sunday morning after another famous Irish win!

Me too though I wouldn't bet on it. I haven't felt so pessimistic about an Irish team in a long time (possibly since we got beaten by Macedonia under McCarthy).

Noelys Guitar
31/08/2006, 12:06 PM
We'll According to Quinn in the Indo today Pat Devlin is possibly calling the shots. Or at least having a major say in who is going to play. Very probably how this works is Duff to Devlin to Staunton. Recipe for disaster here. It all sounds like England under Sven. If results and especially performances go wrong over the next 3 games then Staunton will be out the door. Whether he wants to go or not. And I hope that dosen't happen. But if it does then I would bring in somebody who believes he can turn things around Immediately. No 4, 6, 22 year plans bull****. A strong character who can get the best out of what we have. Unfortunately very few seem to be available for the money the FAI have on offer. What I would suggest is that the FAI break the bank (involve a major sponsor or outside donor as Australia did) and get the best available.

OwlsFan
31/08/2006, 12:07 PM
A debate on who to replace a manager with when he hasn't even been in charge for one competitive game :eek:

:rolleyes:

macdermesser
31/08/2006, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=youngirish;526481]In the absence of anyone else it was just a suggestion. I wouldn't like to think we would have to turn to an EL manager but they all have better experience than Staunton and are managing at a higher level than he ever did.[QUOTE=youngirish;526481]

Not arguing with you at all mate on that point. Stephen Kenny has proven himself to be a good manager, and Brian Kerr even more so. Both are more worthy candidates than throwing some rookie in the deep end, and backing him up with an ill international consultant or whatever his title is.

However, there will always be some smart alec millionaire in the Irish squad (think we have a fair idea who the main culprit with Kerr was) who will undermine any EL manager who gets sudden elevation to the big post.

macdermesser
31/08/2006, 12:11 PM
A debate on who to replace a manager with when he hasn't even been in charge for one competitive game :eek:

:rolleyes:

fair enough point .. but the debate has started, and there hasn't been any rash "staunton out" statements on this thread ..

Stuttgart88
31/08/2006, 12:41 PM
We'll According to Quinn in the Indo today Pat Devlin is possibly calling the shots. Quinn may be right on that aspect but the whole article stank of prejudice if you ask me. The "gnomic" description of Devlin says it all.

I think he's wrong on some simple facts too, but am not sure. I thought Delaney matched Staunton & Robson, no? I don't think Staunton included Robson on his application as Quinn said. In fact I don't think Staunton even submitted an application. He was always Delaney's choice / Delaney's mate and Delaney makes all the decisions at FAI.

I hope to God the squad don't read that article. there's no point in even turning up with that type of mindset. The reality is that Staunton, with no managerial experience, has over 100 international caps so must know something about what's required. By all accounts he's a good leader and motivator too. I don't think we can tell yet as outsiders. The senior pros seemed keen enough against Sweden and in reality all of their minds were on other things in the last 2 games.

When Staunton was appointed I was generally neutral to positive. Robson's inclusion on the ticket gave me cause for optimism though I wanted an O'Neill calibre manager, foolishly believing the FAI's rhetoric.

I'm VERY concerned with what I saw in the last 2 games but neither can be relied upon to make a definitive comment on Staunton's appointment.

So far Staunton has made some brave value judgments, not all of which I agree with, and some odd tactical moves. This does not offer any proof of anything.

His appointment is a gamble. I think it also smells of cronyism on Delaney's part, but unless the newly rich Irish & co. of this world or a proper corporate sponsor back up their "interest" in football with cash Staunton's calibre is all we can expect. We simply can't afford an experienced manager.

Frustrating as it is given how crap we've been since 2002 but Staunton & co. have to be given more time. I'm glad the people Quinn referred to in his article are nowhere near Staunton this weekend. Dalglish? Big Ron? He's clutching at straws. In the absence of Robson from the equation my preference would have been for Aldridge over Staunton, but Robson is in the equation. It's not Staunton's fault he has a tumour.

macdemesser: who undermined Kerr? You say "we have a fair idea". I don't. I simply think that Kerr failed to inspire the players as a whole.

pineapple stu
31/08/2006, 12:47 PM
Change "if" to "when"... I honestly don't think Aldridge would be a bad shout & am amazed he was never given the opportunity to stake a claim in the first place
Delaney had paperwork to do, apparently.

Billsthoughts
31/08/2006, 1:26 PM
Quinn may be right on that aspect but the whole article stank of prejudice if you ask me. The "gnomic" description of Devlin says it all................

just a couple a points.....
that article by Quinn was (for reasons stated more eloquently above) a complete load a crap.
It was just a thinly veiled attack on the domestic league.
also good point about Stauntons value judgements. A lot of people overlooking fact that rightly or wrongly he has made decisions that show that he is definitely his own man. not a bad characteristic in a manger.
lastly can we cut out this crap about Kerr being unable to inspire the players.
They look to be totally uninspired under staunton and that was the one thing he was supposed to bring to the job!

macdermesser
31/08/2006, 1:36 PM
macdemesser: who undermined Kerr? You say "we have a fair idea". I don't. I simply think that Kerr failed to inspire the players as a whole.

Should not have made that remark as I don't want to drag this towards "why was Kerr's contract not renewed" argument. Based that remark on hearsay and stuff in the newspapers ..which tended to indicate that Carr was not Kerr's greatest fan .. and himself and a few others seemed to find it below themselves to watch videos and follow Kerr's meticulous preparations... which worked wonders with Pats and with the underage teams and conceivably might have worked for the senior team but ultimately didn't .. due to a number of factors including bad luck e.g Israel home and away. (veering towards the Kerr argument with that remark!)

Agree with your view that Staunton has to be given time now that he has the job .. but I think the reason this thread has started is because he is scaring the living bejaysus out of many people with the squad decisions he has made in the last month. But Germany is Game 1 and these friendlies will be forgotten if we can get a point.

anyway, like many people here I'm putting my money where my mouth is, and leaving my young family to travel to Stuttgart on Saturday and get behind the lads and Stan.

Den Perry
31/08/2006, 10:29 PM
just a couple a points.....
that article by Quinn was (for reasons stated more eloquently above) a complete load a crap.
It was just a thinly veiled attack on the domestic league.
also good point about Stauntons value judgements. A lot of people overlooking fact that rightly or wrongly he has made decisions that show that he is definitely his own man. not a bad characteristic in a manger.
lastly can we cut out this crap about Kerr being unable to inspire the players.
They look to be totally uninspired under staunton and that was the one thing he was supposed to bring to the job!

It makes e laugh, all the postings back in Feb that Stand will bring pride and passion...well where is it now? I bet Venables is laughing!

DmanDmythDledge
31/08/2006, 10:35 PM
Stephen Kenny is the best Irish born manager at the moment IMO. Tactically adept, can handle a squad well and is a great motivater. Took Derry from a mid-table side to a point of the champions and what he has achieved in the UEFA Cup this season is fantastic.

sorry young irish , i have great respect for the EL but no i would not advocate an EL manager unless it was one who coached an EL team to the group stages of the CL or into the latter stages of the uefa cup. The step up is way too much. The irish job needs a wiley old fox , a manager who has seen it all , a big jack for the new era.
And Stephen Kenny has done one of the things you mentioned.

brine3
01/09/2006, 11:34 AM
RMK to take over in 2008.

endabob1
01/09/2006, 11:41 AM
Stephen Kenny is the only EL candidate but he will have to go to England/Scotland and manage before he would be given a chance. We appointed the assistant coach from the dizzy heights of Walsall as they careered towards the bottom tier of English football this time so the odds of a mere mortal from the EL is slim!

Should I point out that our friends from over the border have a former EL manager in charge and seem to be making steady if unspectacular progress?

youngirish
01/09/2006, 12:02 PM
Should I point out that our friends from over the border have a former EL manager in charge and seem to be making steady if unspectacular progress?

True. We could go for Steve Cotterill the former Sligo Rovers boss who seems to be doing well on limited resources at Burnley in the admittedly off chance that Sam Allardyce (another former EL manager) wouldn't take the job when offerred it initially.

endabob1
01/09/2006, 12:28 PM
True. We could go for Steve Cotterill the former Sligo Rovers boss who seems to be doing well on limited resources at Burnley in the admittedly off chance that Sam Allardyce (another former EL manager) wouldn't take the job when offerred it initially.

I forgot about that wasn't he at Limerick at one point?
We couldn't have him as manager anyway because he wanted to manage England, well not unless he has an Irish Granny:D