PDA

View Full Version : Maher shines for Bournemouth

RamblersWeb
14/08/2002, 4:13 PM
Was at the Bournemouth v Kidderminister game last night (3rd division) and wasn't overly impressed with the standard of football [nor was I last season when they played in the 2nd div tho at least the teams they played then were better ie Tranmere and Brighton]

The game finished nil-all however the 2 stand out players both had irish connections...

NI international Feeney wearing number 5 for Bournemouth but playing in an attacking midfield role was outstanding

and the fact that Bournemouth kept a clean sheet was much due to Shaun Maher who was immense at centre back.

The less said about Gareth O'Connor the better he was useless.

Bournemouth however will struggle... they basically play 'pretty' tho ineffective football.

As an eL fan however their stadium is better than ANY in the eL and while only completed on 3 sides due to financial troubles it is a model to forward thinking clubs back home

The stadium in itself complete with club shop & ticket office, bars under the stands, purpose built camera positions, corporate boxes {most of them in use] has to be a driver of income for the club.

The difference I have found between eL and the NAtionwide league in 3 outings so far??

they look after their fans
facilities are good
tickets can be bought online, on the phone by credit card etc
crowds are bigger {due to the above}
crowd management is much more professional - stewards, programme sellers etc are all paid; local university students are employed on matchdays to run the catering etc

all in all a PROFESSIONAL attitude one doesn't see much at home

however...
referees are better in the eL
football standard is better in the eL

Give me the eL any day though. Though a more professional attitude would not go astray.

SÓC
19/08/2002, 8:12 PM
Originally posted by RamblersWeb
however...
referees are better in the eL

My God how bad are the Refs in England so if the eL fella are better:)

I thought the Ref's in England were full time Refs or is that just the top League(s)?