PDA

View Full Version : Promotion by selection not performance in Rugby League also

el punter
29/08/2006, 8:41 PM
Seems Whitehaven are likely to experience the same fate as John Gill would have you believe is set out for Dundalk should they win their division.

From Sporting Life (http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/06/08/18/RUGBYL_Promotion.html)

DmanDmythDledge
29/08/2006, 9:29 PM
I think that's a different situation. That seems to me that it is just the equivalent of UEFA Liscensing being implemented.

OneRedArmy
29/08/2006, 10:04 PM
I think that's a different situation. That seems to me that it is just the equivalent of UEFA Liscensing being implemented.It refers to having a business plan approved by Super League, which is actually closer to what the FAI are planning.

You can't have it both ways. By all means argue for on field being the only determinant, but you can't argue selectively for the inclusion of non-sporting criteria that favours your own club.

The FAI's proposals are an inelegant way of achieving a solution that could be arrived at in many "fairer" ways (ie excluding so-called "smaller" clubs).

Simply providing marketing and other funding on a matched basis or set against revenue and / other targets would ensure the larger supported teams float to the top, but would be much harder to argue against.

Bald Student
29/08/2006, 11:19 PM
On the original point, I agree with ORA on this one. The marketing speak (reproduced below) from the article does seem very similar to the type of talk you hear coming from Merrion Square.

RFL chief operating Officer Nigel Wood said: "This assessment is an important element of the sport's collective desire to ensure that the appropriate high standards are maintained within the engage Super League by any new member clubs.

"We believe the process has been both fair and helpful to all clubs involved in highlighting areas within their organisations for further development.

"The RFL club support unit will continue to work with all of them to share best practice and aid them as much as possible."

el punter
29/08/2006, 11:47 PM
Why don't we all just read through the FTSE tomorrow and find some good, well-run businesses that we can cheer on as their share prices soar. We can even call for sackings when the going gets tough.

The only thing that doesn't really matter is the football :confused:

Bald Student
30/08/2006, 12:19 AM
Why don't we all just read through the FTSE tomorrow and find some good, well-run businesses that we can cheer on as their share prices soar. We can even call for sackings when the going gets tough.

The only thing that doesn't really matter is the football :confused:Judging by the big drop in attendances this year, I think a lot of people have done that (possibly without cheering the FTSE).

I hope that if football returns to normal next year that the crowds will come back but I've been around long enough to not put much faith in the FAI.