PDA

View Full Version : eL Full Backs

Tenderloins
29/08/2006, 10:00 AM
Staunton has called up 22 year old unknown from Preston Sean St Ledger.
There must be better, more experienced full backs playing in the EL.
One of Owen Heary , Simon Webb, Brian Shelley, Danny Murphy, Kevin Deery etc must be better.

BrayUnknowns
29/08/2006, 10:42 AM
Danny Murphy ? English......

pete
29/08/2006, 11:07 AM
Heary has consistently been the best full back in the league for a few years now. Played well in any european game i've seen too.

Why was Don Givens not picking St Ledger for the U21 squad?

:confused:

joema
29/08/2006, 11:15 AM
Danny Murphy is best full back in league IMO - even though he is now off to Motherwell. He has represented Ireland at underage level already. IMO he is def good enough for the squad - if he does reasonably well in Scotland he'll prob be in the squad soon enough

razor
29/08/2006, 11:18 AM
One of Owen Heary , Simon Webb, Brian Shelley, Danny Murphy, Kevin Deery etc must be better.Neil Horgan, best RB in the EL last season. Unsung hero, shame the soccer writers can't see past Heary.

finnpark
29/08/2006, 11:29 AM
In fairness I don't think any of the above are good enough, Owen Heary maybe but he is injured. Anyway with Finnan and Carr on right and O'Shea/Harte on left I cannot see the point in have 5 full backs in the squad. Its centre backs we need. I dont think many players in eircom league are quite good enough to make the full step up. O'Callaghan /Gamble maybe but their indisipline rules them out every time. Jason Byrne is def better than Connoly, Morrison or Elliot but still hasn't got the class. Can't see many call ups from eircom league although some of the current squad would struggle to make some teams in the eircom league. Strange but true

headtheball
29/08/2006, 11:33 AM
Danny Murphy is best full back in league IMO - even though he is now off to Motherwell. He has represented Ireland at underage level already. IMO he is def good enough for the squad - if he does reasonably well in Scotland he'll prob be in the squad soon enough

He has an awful tempermant, been carded numerous times this season. No way the best in the league.Eddie McCallion at Derry and Owen Heary are better players. Eddie has played underage for northern Ireland and has been super for the last two seasons for us. His performances in europe alone have been magnificent.

Why he has not picked for Northern Ireland is beyond belief. They rather pick a guy from lower league team in England who's english.

Red&White Rover
29/08/2006, 11:37 AM
One of Owen Heary , Simon Webb, Brian Shelley, Danny Murphy, Kevin Deery etc must be better.

Ahem! (http://www.sangriastudios.com/~rovers/images/stories/gallery/userpics/10001/0617_Foyzer_4_Ireland.jpg)

Pablo
29/08/2006, 11:42 AM
Ahem! (http://www.sangriastudios.com/~rovers/images/stories/gallery/userpics/10001/0617_Foyzer_4_Ireland.jpg)

he'll be considered in about 6 stone from now i'd say

joema
29/08/2006, 11:47 AM
Neil Horgan, best RB in the EL last season. Unsung hero, shame the soccer writers can't see past Heary.

IMO Horgan is nowhere neargood enough for International standard - he is consistent at el level - no doubt about that but I remember he was extremley poor against Slavia last year and just dont think hes up to it at the highest level

Re Murphy I suppose you are right headtheball his temper is shocking tbh - but if he can control that - unlikely he is good enough IMO. Are you a Derry fan? Im not a Cork fan but think Murphy is better than McCallion - albeit I have seen more of Murphy

Red&White Rover
29/08/2006, 11:52 AM
he'll be considered in about 6 stone from now i'd say

in fairness, hes the fastest fat man i've ever seen.

Rory H
29/08/2006, 11:57 AM
if he lost the weight he would be good enough......

Dodge
29/08/2006, 12:02 PM
Yep. same with me though.

Heary is miles better full back than any of the Coprk players. Much as I hate him

Rory H
29/08/2006, 12:16 PM
saw the st ledger on big ron manager last night..he seemed very good in the clips it showed of him.....english though ya?

Rovers1
29/08/2006, 12:51 PM
Keith Foy Keith Foy Keith Foy Keith Foy Keith Foy Keith Foy Keith Foy.................thers your answer!

charliesboots
29/08/2006, 1:28 PM
Heary the only one but he's injured. Should have called up Derek Geary, good player for Sheffield United over past couple of seasons and now playing in the Premier and still not getting in. Who this "my granny's from Cavan" is i don't know but regardless its laughable.

iceman
29/08/2006, 1:35 PM
Jason Gavin - class act!!

razor
29/08/2006, 2:10 PM
Ahem! (http://www.sangriastudios.com/~rovers/images/stories/gallery/userpics/10001/0617_Foyzer_4_Ireland.jpg)What does the banner say ? Can't read it with that big full back in the way.

swano
29/08/2006, 2:17 PM
I haven't seen much of Shelley this season but he was excellent in a poor Rovers team during the 2nd half of last season.

pete
29/08/2006, 3:34 PM
I think Danny Murphy is english anyway. I was unaware he played underage for Ireland.

I think you can't get called up for Ireland with just an irish parent. Need to have english parents & irish granny - you will get called up to ensure you can't decalre for england later. :rolleyes:

joema
29/08/2006, 4:22 PM
Murphy has def played for us at underage level - there was even a pic of him playing for us on the ccfc foruma while ago

The Stars
29/08/2006, 10:26 PM
What does the banner say ? Can't read it with that big full back in the way.

It says "if you cant read this.....you must be still in awe of Keith Foy";)

Magicme
30/08/2006, 8:32 AM
I think its really sweet and funny how all the Sligo lads declare their love for Foyzer & obsess about him....when I used to mention how great he was I was accused of being a stalker & in love with the guy! Is that just coz am female & obviously know absolutely nothing about football but am only there to oogle the guys? Sure my Johnny Lester thing is a slight bit stalkerish but I only noticed he was good looking and fancied him initally coz of how well he was playing for us. Its football first, fella's second.

harpskid
30/08/2006, 10:03 AM
Is that just coz am female & obviously know absolutely nothing about football but am only there to oogle the guys?

Aye :p

pete
30/08/2006, 10:27 AM
I knew Stauntons eL statements were all bluff & when push came to shove he would not call up eL players when he needed to.

Rory H
30/08/2006, 11:27 AM
I think its really sweet and funny how all the Sligo lads declare their love for Foyzer & obsess about him....when I used to mention how great he was I was accused of being a stalker & in love with the guy! Is that just coz am female & obviously know absolutely nothing about football but am only there to oogle the guys? Sure my Johnny Lester thing is a slight bit stalkerish but I only noticed he was good looking and fancied him initally coz of how well he was playing for us. Its football first, fella's second.

it doesnt matter what sexuality you are...watching his goal vs drogheda was a turn on for every one of the 120 rovers fans there!

Magicme
30/08/2006, 11:54 AM
I bet it was hard for him not to hit the wood!

iceman
30/08/2006, 12:19 PM
watching his goal vs drogheda was a turn on for every one of the 120 rovers fans there!

In fairness , that goal was sheer luck , 99 times out of 100 that ball would have gone out of the ground , I was standing level with him and he never even looked at goal , he just blasted it and hoped for the best. Looked like a super goal allright but he gets no marks from me for it.

KildareFan
30/08/2006, 12:22 PM
In fairness , that goal was sheer luck , 99 times out of 100 that ball would have gone out of the ground , I was standing level with him and he never even looked at goal , he just blasted it and hoped for the best. Looked like a super goal allright but he gets no marks from me for it.

Ha ha you haven't seen Foy play that often so. He hits shots like that all the time. Just off the top of my head, he nearly snapped the crossbar in half at the showgrounds earlier in the season against Shels i think (Sligo fans can correct me if i am wrong).

If the ball fell to Foy in that kind of area and he was given that sort of time, I reckon you would have the same result 8 times out of 10

bigmac
30/08/2006, 12:27 PM
I knew Stauntons eL statements were all bluff & when push came to shove he would not call up eL players when he needed to.

Will this young guy get a game or is he just another example of getting a young promising player involved in the squad? I agree that there are probably better players in the EL but if Staunton wants to expose a young promising player to the squad situation and maybe make sure he declares for Ireland then I don't see the problem. It's better than just calling up a token EL player.

Magicme
30/08/2006, 12:57 PM

Agree with Kildare fan.....he scored a few like that when he was with us...Keith doesnt need to look at goal he seems instinctively to know where it is and what to do. Trust me Iceman (and I know you do ;) ) he will get goals like that time and again.

Red4Eva
30/08/2006, 4:40 PM

even doolin sed the star "if there's any1 we wouldn't gettin on the ball there it was him, he's got a great left foot"

BohsFans
01/09/2006, 11:22 PM

****in hell, Ollie is still on that call! :eek:

Must be one of the new investors that will be announced in 3-4 weeks :D