PDA

View Full Version : Sean not happy with Pitch

akearins
28/08/2006, 3:47 PM
Just read from rovers site an interview after the game staurday,a nd Sean isnt happy with the state of the pitch he says:

"The grass was far too long tonight, ridiculously long and it helped them because we couldn't get our passing game going and the ball was sticking"

Surely those involved in maintaining the pitch should be liasing with Sean as to how he wants the grass cut for games , but from these ramarks it seems they are not.......

sligoman
28/08/2006, 3:49 PM
Thought it was odd alright. Surely Sean would have a big say in the condition of the pitch considering it's his players that have to play on it...

red bellied
28/08/2006, 4:07 PM
Not that it made much difference the ball was up in the air for most of the match.

MervilleUnited
28/08/2006, 10:23 PM
Believe it or not, (Ripleys!) the state of the pitch is another victim of Summer Soccer! I am finding myself that recent bad weather is proving difficult in the cutting of the playing surface accross the road from the Showgies. Grass Growth in the winter is slow, so this problem generally does not occour, as you would always get a dry day or two in every 30 days or so across the winter!:) During the Summer, Grass growth is constant, so if you cannot get the mower on every 10 days, you are in trouble with proper playing length. Having workers on a morning shedule only is also not suitable, as the days generally can clear up in the sfternoon/evening as the sun gets going. So a dedicated worker who is flexibile, monitoring the weather forecast is needed!

As far as earlier comments in the season about the farmers field, in fairness I think Ireland is playing catch up with regard to Summer Soccer. The Kennedy Cup in Limerick, held in June, reported rock hard pitches at Irelands Sports Univerisity facilities. Yet i have heard that in italy during the Summer, the winning Sligo Leitrim U15 Side reported lush surfaces, with plenty of give in the ground. I took a walk on the Showgrounds during that hot spell, and saw that the surface was rutted, with sods that were replaced struggling to bind again. The Unbelievable Solution? Watering!:eek: Only though in consulation with weather forecasting, obviously. A good fertilizer programme in tandem would result in a great surface for very little money, I believe;)

All involved are in the same boat!

So pitch maintainence is more difficult in Ireland if your sport is on grass during the summer (GAA can play on longer grass)

Believe it or not!!

avvenalaf
29/08/2006, 12:24 PM
All they have to do is contact the ground staff at Semple Stadium in Thurles where they are able to produce a billiard table in summer for hurling. Mind you the grass would have had to be a lot longer last saturday night before it would touch the ball.