PDA

View Full Version : Stephen McPhail

Pages : [1] 2 3

DotTV
28/08/2006, 10:06 AM
I see that Cardiff are riding high on top of the Championship and McPhail is a regular in centre-mid.
Has anyone seen him play?
I remember when he was a youngster with the Leeds "dream team" Harry Kewell described him as the most skilful player at the club.
Considering how weak we are in midfield, could he be an option in the near future?

NeilMcD
28/08/2006, 10:09 AM
I see no reason he cannot be at least a squad player like Miller or Douglas.

Dr. Ogba
28/08/2006, 10:13 AM
I remember not too long ago that I was lambasted on this forum for suggesting that this could be a huge season for McPhail and that he could well force his way back into the reckoning if he performs consistently.

Well I think his time has come now. By all accounts he's been a star in the middle of the park for Cardiff so far this season and he is definitely the type of midfielder we are looking for. He could well be a perfect partner for the all-action Reid in that he's always looking for the ball and can bring our creative players (McGeady/Duff/Keane) into the game more often with his accurate passing.

Surely he would be worth a shot next month against a lesser team?

Donal81
28/08/2006, 11:16 AM
Coaches have always been suspicious of McPhail, in that he has a wonderful touch and a perfect pass but is unreliable tracking back. I've always liked his style of play, though, and thought that if you have players to cover him, he can turn a game.

Then again, I don't remember the Championship being the place where you can get away with not being able to tackle, maybe he's improved? I don't think we have any Cardiff viewers here to confirm this, do we?

For several years now, we've struggled to beat teams and have always lacked any real creativity, with the obvious exception of Duff. Why not bring McPhail into the squad? He has as much to offer as plenty of those that are there already and it will surely do loads for his confidence.

eirebhoy
28/08/2006, 11:24 AM
Coaches have always been suspicious of McPhail, in that he has a wonderful touch and a perfect pass but is unreliable tracking back. I've always liked his style of play, though, and thought that if you have players to cover him, he can turn a game.
Sounds exactly like the player he replaced at Cardiff, Jason Koumas. :) I haven't seen McPhail play in a couple of years.

Billsthoughts
28/08/2006, 11:36 AM
dunno how he went from being the great white hope of irish football to bein a total "dont let him near the squad" player. he cant be any worse than the shams we have at the mo.

Donal81
28/08/2006, 2:27 PM
dunno how he went from being the great white hope of irish football to bein a total "dont let him near the squad" player. he cant be any worse than the shams we have at the mo.

I think he was unlucky in that our midfield was full up when he was playing brilliantly for Leeds.

He went down the pan fairly quickly after that and, in fairness, why should Kerr have picked him, considering he was two tiers away from the top level? Now he's doing the business in the Championship, he's definitely worth another look.

He could bring something new to the team, unlike Carsley or Connolly.

Soper
28/08/2006, 4:42 PM
I've come to the rescue.

Have seen him in every home match this season, and he has been great.Moving around, linking well with the wingers and the two lads up top, excellent on the ball (he was tormenting David Dunn and Nafti on Saturday), and is a better left footed centre midfield alternative to Kilbane.However, there is one suspicion - against West Brom, he went a bit quiet after half time, something that he has been accused of in the past.

On the whole though, he deserves another chance, because he does look top notch now.

Also, on another note, Willo Flood is also looking god in the cameos he has had, great pace on him.Hopefully will see more great displays from him for the remainder of teh season.

Stuttgart88
29/08/2006, 7:13 AM
He played against Nigeria at The Valley and was utterly crap & at that point I thought he should be put out to grass. But playing well week in week out in The Championship is a far higher level than Miller or Douglas is playing at. Even Mark Kennedy is playing at a higher standard than them. I think McPhail deserves another look.

Paddy Garcia
29/08/2006, 7:17 AM
He played against Nigeria at The Valley and was utterly crap & at that point I thought he should be put out to grass. But playing well week in week out in The Championship is a far higher level than Miller or Douglas is playing at. Even Mark Kennedy is playing at a higher standard than them. I think McPhail deserves another look.

I agree, & to be fair everyone was crap that day against Nigeria.

Stuttgart88
29/08/2006, 7:21 AM
I also saw him live for Leeds a few times, admittedly when they were in decline. Mcphail had as much presence on the pitch as my 3 yr old daughter would have had. But he looks bigger now and maybe Soper can comment on this, but I don't think Cardiff is the type of club that'd indulge a fancy dan.

Paddy Garcia
29/08/2006, 7:30 AM
I also saw him live for Leeds a few times, admittedly when they were in decline. Mcphail had as much presence on the pitch as my 3 yr old daughter would have had. But he looks bigger now and maybe Soper can comment on this, but I don't think Cardiff is the type of club that'd indulge a fancy dan.

He was in a poor team then & from what I recall did notreceive much of a confidence boost - I think O'Leary said something like he would never make a midfielder. When he first broke into the Leeds team he was first class.

Apparently he was excellent last year (in a tough division) and has already received a few MOM this season. Be great to see him fulfil that early potential.

tetsujin1979
29/08/2006, 9:25 AM
He was in a poor team then & from what I recall did notreceive much of a confidence boost - I think O'Leary said something like he would never make a midfielder.
I think O'Leary said that he wasn't a modern midfielder in the box-to-box Roy Keane/Steven Gerrard/Patrick Vieira mould, and that when he was in the side, he needed players around him to get the best out of him, which made him a luxury player, so he was dropped (IIRC in favor of Dacourt).
Mind you, IMO that exact description can be applied to Lampard!

DotTV
29/08/2006, 10:03 AM

Does that mean your 3 yr old daughter is class or McPhail is muck?

Stuttgart88
29/08/2006, 10:09 AM
I said it in another thread but I think the key to getting our CM right is Steven Reid's performance. Look how well the lightweight but skillful Stephen Ireland plays when accompanied by Joey Barton at City. Barton is tough, athletic and covers a lot of ground. If Reid can start to dominate midfield then we have an abundance of players who, in principle, can add creativity & McPhail is probably one of those.

Kavanagh was such a disappontment for me. Even his set piece distribution has been shocking on a number of times for Ireland yet he delivers the ball well at club level. McPhail is a player who takes a mean free kick & corner.

I know it's a bit "clutching at straws" but I'm undwerwhelmed by our central midfield and I can't believe Andy Reid can't get in the squad. I really wish we had another year to get things right as I'm still optimistic but I just haven't derived any sense of strategy from the 3 friendlies so far.

I'd actually like the press to ask tough questions about certain players: why are X and Y in, why are X and Y out? Good communication is essential to stop rumours and speculation festering. The Indo has the bit between its teeth on McCarthy's disciplinerary record for example. But this is only their guess.

Stuttgart88
29/08/2006, 10:11 AM
Does that mean your 3 yr old daughter is class or McPhail is muck?Obviously she's class, but not quite ready for first team action just yet.

Soper
29/08/2006, 12:34 PM
Stuttgart - Yeah, he does look, to me anyway, a bit bigger than when he was at Leeds, but he still wouldn't be a Gravesen.His prescence in the midfield is notable though, and he doesn't get knocked off the ball much because he, in line with Cardiff's fast tempo of play, seems to know what he's doing with the ball instantly.He does benfit from having a tough midfield partner in Scimica(sp), so if Steve Reid gets his act together, there could be a similar thing at intl level.

youngirish
29/08/2006, 1:01 PM
Stuttgart you've summed up my whole impression of McPhail as a player. He looks good even great when he's playing in a game where his team are dominating and getting most of the ball.

On the flipside in a team that is struggling to get possession he's sh**e. Play him against San Marino and Cyprus (maybe even Wales) but not against Czech Republic, Germany or Slovakia.

Donal81
29/08/2006, 1:44 PM
I'd actually like the press to ask tough questions about certain players: why are X and Y in, why are X and Y out? Good communication is essential to stop rumours and speculation festering. The Indo has the bit between its teeth on McCarthy's disciplinerary record for example. But this is only their guess.

I think you're spot on here Stuttgart. Plenty here would call that "hounding" Staunton out of the job, however.

Stuttgart88
29/08/2006, 2:08 PM
One reason why I think the press doesn't ask tough questions is because they don't know enough about Staunton's options, who's playing well & who isn't etc..

Against that though, it's completely Staunton's prerogative to pick Jon Douglas if he thinks he's good enough, or Miller if he thinks he's better than McPhail. Both did reasonably well against Holland.

I think it's only saddos like me & many others on here who actually go out of their way to find out how certain Irish players are getting on. I was delighted, as an example, to see Darren Randolph's photo in yesterday Times in the "Player of the Day" caption!

Everyone else is too wrapped up in the WWF, sorry, Premiership. It makes my bloood boil when people like Frank Stapleton, Kevin Moran & Jason McAteer are paid to comment on our future on SKY when they literally only know the tip of the iceberg. I'd bet you anything that Frank the Plank wouldn't cross the road to see Paddy McCarthy or Paul McShane play just to see what he's like, for example.

dr_peepee
29/08/2006, 2:45 PM
Yeah!!:mad:

He still thinks that Randolph is one of the old brothers from Trading Places!!

eirebhoy
29/08/2006, 3:18 PM
Stuttgart you've summed up my whole impression of McPhail as a player. He looks good even great when he's playing in a game where his team are dominating and getting most of the ball.

On the flipside in a team that is struggling to get possession he's sh**e.
As someone said already, you've pretty much described Frank Lampard. :)

drinkfeckarse
29/08/2006, 3:33 PM
It makes my bloood boil when people like Frank Stapleton, Kevin Moran & Jason McAteer are paid to comment on our future on SKY when they literally only know the tip of the iceberg. I'd bet you anything that Frank the Plank wouldn't cross the road to see Paddy McCarthy or Paul McShane play just to see what he's like, for example.

Never a truer word.....

Donal81
29/08/2006, 4:24 PM
One reason why I think the press doesn't ask tough questions is because they don't know enough about Staunton's options, who's playing well & who isn't etc..

Against that though, it's completely Staunton's prerogative to pick Jon Douglas if he thinks he's good enough, or Miller if he thinks he's better than McPhail. Both did reasonably well against Holland.

I think it's only saddos like me & many others on here who actually go out of their way to find out how certain Irish players are getting on. I was delighted, as an example, to see Darren Randolph's photo in yesterday Times in the "Player of the Day" caption!

Everyone else is too wrapped up in the WWF, sorry, Premiership. It makes my bloood boil when people like Frank Stapleton, Kevin Moran & Jason McAteer are paid to comment on our future on SKY when they literally only know the tip of the iceberg. I'd bet you anything that Frank the Plank wouldn't cross the road to see Paddy McCarthy or Paul McShane play just to see what he's like, for example.

Firstly, no disrespect to them, but a lot of sports journalists are writers more than reporters. The long colour article is their product, not investigative journalism. The exclusive one on one interview is very important to them, moreso than political or business reporters (not that the one on one interview isn't big for those guys either), so the questions can be quite soft. Ask them to write 1000 words on Roy Keane's pre-teenage boxing career, and you'll get a cracking read. Ask them to investigate the finances of the Eircom League and you're in trouble.

As for your last paragraph, you're spot on. I've said it before, there's no better place than right here for getting information that really matters. Ditto for decent discussion.

dr_peepee
29/08/2006, 5:21 PM
Group Hug:p :p

Donal81
30/08/2006, 8:08 AM
Group Hug:p :p

Ha! Very good. :D

Soper
17/09/2006, 1:47 PM
Played very well yesterday for Cardiff

IsMiseSean
05/10/2006, 1:14 PM
What does he have to do to get a call-up?
Surely when Alan Quinn had to withdraw he was the man that should have been called up:confused: . We dont have many midfielders who can pass the ball good enough for International football
Anyone else agree?

Billsthoughts
05/10/2006, 1:17 PM
he should be given a chance alrite but what invariably happens is it takes a few games to settle at international level and we dont really give guys that chance..probably cant afford to really.

irishfan86
05/10/2006, 1:18 PM
I agree he should be in the squad.

Although Stan may tell you McPhail wouldn't be a "looking for the future" choice.

IsMiseSean
05/10/2006, 1:20 PM
How old is he? I thought he'd be around 25, surely thats not to old?

Sniffer
05/10/2006, 1:25 PM
Haven't seen him play for a while, but always thought of him as a cultured player. Unfortunately, I think he lacks a bit of pace and the English league is usually merciless where players like him are concerned. Reckon he could play at a high level in Spain or Italy with a 'minder' alongside him in midfield.

irishfan86
05/10/2006, 1:26 PM
How old is he? I thought he'd be around 25, surely thats not to old?

He's 27, and it's not so much about how good he is right now, but how good some people think he should have been.

A mediocre journeyman will always look better than a failed prospect in the eyes of the fickle.

galwayhoop
05/10/2006, 1:53 PM
Surely he would be worth a shot next month against a lesser team?

that couldn't happen... wouldn't it be a 'kick in the teeth' to the lads who are in all the squads up till now:rolleyes:

kingp35
05/10/2006, 4:27 PM
He is playing well this season for cardiff but he needs a strong holding player beside him otherwise he can be a liability. His defensive work is poor but he has the ability to play some great passes. His set-pieces are very good too. Sadly we dont have that class holding player to play alongside a McPhail type player at the moment.

Stuttgart88
10/12/2008, 8:03 AM
A pal of mine at work was doing his UEFA B course in Wales at the weekend and he said McPhail was on the course as well. Other players like Ricardo Scimeca were there. My mate is an ex-semi pro player and he said in the participation sessions McPhail was a class above everybody else. He said he was a really nice guy and that he still had hopes of getting back into the Ireland team. He was in the Portugal training squad I think but not sure what happened after that.

drummerboy
10/12/2008, 8:41 AM
Very cultured footballer. Reckon he would have been a big hit on the continent. Just lacks the physicality of the premiership. His passing is a joy to watch though.

paul_oshea
10/12/2008, 8:49 AM
what are the participation sessions about stutts?!

Stuttgart88
10/12/2008, 10:55 AM
you know, there's theory and implementation. the "participation sessions" were where you put it into practise.

paul_oshea
10/12/2008, 12:24 PM
so what though i mean, what are they im asking.

Stuttgart88
10/12/2008, 12:41 PM
go do a fcuking UEFA coaching course and find out

danonion
10/12/2008, 4:36 PM
He's a good player, I agree he would be suited for the continent. Tearing Serie B with Parma in FM2009.

Diarmo
05/01/2010, 4:04 PM
Just found out that McPhail was diagnosed with cancer last year. Here's wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

http://backpagefootball.com/info/england-news/stephen-mcphail-diagnosed-with-cancer/

yapster
05/01/2010, 4:14 PM
I wish Stephen a speedy recovery and I would like to see him get a call up for Ireland again. He deserves success with his talent and has been unlucky in his career so far. I do feel he is one that got away somehow and at 27 he still has some time when he recovers from his present prediciment to play for Ireland again

tetsujin1979
05/01/2010, 4:18 PM
I wish Stephen a speedy recovery and I would like to see him get a call up for Ireland again. He deserves success with his talent and has been unlucky in his career so far. I do feel he is one that got away somehow and at 27 he still has some time when he recovers from his present prediciment to play for Ireland again
McPhail is 30, do you ever research anything before posting, or do you just assume you're right?

yapster
05/01/2010, 4:43 PM
McPhail is 30, do you ever research anything before posting, or do you just assume you're right?

Made a mistake pal....

geysir
05/01/2010, 6:26 PM
McPhail did well to recover his career from the curse of the Brady comparison.

elroy
05/01/2010, 9:16 PM
McPhail did well to recover his career from the curse of the Brady comparison.

Remember him scoring for Leeds (twice even?) against Chelsea live on sky sports on a sunday a few years back, he was on the up then, such a shame his career has mirrored that same club.

drummerboy
06/01/2010, 8:07 AM
He would have been more suited to playing on the continent than England. I remember O'Leary referring to this when McPhail first made his breakthrough into the Leeds team. OL said at the time that he had to become a box to box midfielder or he would struggle. For once he was right.

OwlsFan
06/01/2010, 9:12 AM
He would have been more suited to playing on the continent than England.

I wonder about that bearing in mind 80% of players (I thought of that stat of the top of my head but at least the majority) of players in the Premiership are from the continent or further afield. Arsenal, Man U and others don't play the physical game and there is plenty room for the cultured midfielder if GOOD ENOUGH.