PDA

View Full Version : Irish in Europe XI

tetsujin1979
26/08/2006, 1:30 AM
Every year, I try to put together an XI of full Irish internationals playing in the first round of European competitions, but last year there was very few, this year looks a bit better:

Given (Newcastle)

Carr (Newcastle)
Finnan (Liverpool)
O'Shea (Man United)

Duff (Newcastle)
S. Reid (Blackburn Rovers)
McGeady (Celtic)
O'Brien (Newcastle)
Miller (Man United)

Keane (Spurs)

Just short one player for an XI, anyone know who could finish out the side? Andy Reid would be in, if he was still at Spurs, ditto Stephen Kelly.

theworm2345
26/08/2006, 3:57 AM
Many of the players on Derry City, or, for Stan's sake (he would want it, though he never plays), Terry Dixon for Spurs...Darren O'Dea and Diarmiud O'Carroll are both Celtic players as well, I think O'Carroll is the only one of the two who plays

Risteard
26/08/2006, 9:45 AM
Throw Alan Bennett in central defence there to save John O'Sheas ass.
Oh, we didn't make it.
You'll have to settle for Ken Oman.

tetsujin1979
26/08/2006, 9:51 AM
Throw Alan Bennett in central defence there to save John O'Sheas ass.
Oh, we didn't make it.
You'll have to settle for Ken Oman.

Many of the players on Derry City, or, for Stan's sake (he would want it, though he never plays), Terry Dixon for Spurs...Darren O'Dea and Diarmiud O'Carroll are both Celtic players as well, I think O'Carroll is the only one of the two who plays

Sorry guys, none of these are FULL internationals, as specified in the original post. Dixon would be the closest candidate having been in 2 squads and sat on the bench once. O'Dea has been on the bench a few times for Celtic in preseason but he hasn't played yet. O'Carroll is still a little way from the first team, plus he's got Maciej, Miller, Riordan, Beattie, Vennegoor and possibly Maloney in front of him in the queue, although Maloney has been used more as a winger than a striker by Strachan. Also O'Carroll doesn't have a squad number (O'Dea is 48) pushing him further down the pecking order

pete
26/08/2006, 11:41 AM
Miller especially and O'Brien will not get near european round 1 this year.