PDA

View Full Version : Golf courses of Ireland

W.R.F.C
24/08/2006, 2:38 PM
Im a keen golfer as well as been involved in soccer in limerick, just wondering any others keen on golf. Recently played Adare golf course( the one were irish open will be held for next 3 years) for 75 euros, best 75 ever spent. The course is fantastic. Any one play and what did ye make of it.

oconghc2
24/08/2006, 5:12 PM
never played it at all -

been playing a few of cheaper dublin courses this summer - some of them never knew existed - all for under 20 euro!

trying to get into golf but dont have the cash to join a club - advice on any reasonable green fees around the country would be appreciated!

The Stars
24/08/2006, 6:23 PM
Castle Dargen golf Course is opening in Ballygalley Co.Sligo soon...was up for a look a few weeks ago,lovely place...dsigned by Darren Clarke.
Strandhill in Sligo is €20 i think for a round,nice little course.

W.R.F.C
25/08/2006, 7:19 AM
never played it at all -

been playing a few of cheaper dublin courses this summer - some of them never knew existed - all for under 20 euro!

trying to get into golf but dont have the cash to join a club - advice on any reasonable green fees around the country would be appreciated!

portummna in galway is a fantastic course for 30 euro a round, well worth a visit. If ur interested in playing golf outside the pale, try this website, it tells you all the courses in ireland and gives you the prices. www.GUI.IE it stands for golf union of ireland. When ur in the site go to club listings, hope this helps you a bit

PaulB
26/08/2006, 7:41 PM
Old Conna in Bray is a super course, 25 euro before 9.30am.

Raheny Red
26/08/2006, 8:07 PM
Over the past few months I have started to play pitch and putt which I am beginning to enjoy as I have been getting better, however, I
went past a golf course there a few weeks and I **** myself, the feckin' size of the place. I think I will stick to p and p for a another while yet. :o :) :)

EDIT: There should be no reason for that thumbs down up there ^^^, must have done that by mistake and don't know how to get rid of it!

W.R.F.C
26/08/2006, 8:57 PM
Over the past few months I have started to play pitch and putt which I am beginning to enjoy as I have been getting better, however, I
went past a golf course there a few weeks and I **** myself, the feckin' size of the place. I think I will stick to p and p for a another while yet. :o :) :)

EDIT: There should be no reason for that thumbs down up there ^^^, must have done that by mistake and don't know how to get rid of it!

U have to learn how to walk before u run, so keep playing pitch and putt until u get better, and then try the golf, u will love it im sure.

strangeirish
26/08/2006, 11:10 PM
U have to learn how to walk before u run, so keep playing pitch and putt until u get better, and then try the golf, u will love it im sure.
Kind of like typing, huh?

sligoman
26/08/2006, 11:17 PM
Kind of like typing, huh?hahaha:p

ken foree
28/08/2006, 7:21 PM
the most frustrating and pointless of games, hitting a tiny ball with an unwieldy stick. and one of the most rewarding and fun because of the same. golf in ireland i know little about, except for walking baltray once or twice when i was small. the ryder's at k club this time i think

Kowalski
28/08/2006, 8:00 PM
Is there anyone out there who is a member of a golf club?
I'm on the look out for a golf club most likely dublin & leinster with €500 or less membership fee, so if anyone has any suggestions...

superfrank
30/08/2006, 8:52 PM
Of the course I've played on, all thre of them, I'd say the one just outside Ashford in Wicklow is the best. I can't think of the name of it though. The Bray
Head golf course is pretty good too.

BohsPartisan
30/08/2006, 9:21 PM
Golf is for Free Masons.

osarusan
31/08/2006, 4:43 AM
as Mark Twain said................"Golf is a good walk spoiled"

leather
31/08/2006, 7:54 AM
Ballykisteen In Co.tipp(limerick Junction)
Ardagh (co.limerick)

2 Top Courses

PaulB
31/08/2006, 9:36 AM
Of the course I've played on, all thre of them, I'd say the one just outside Ashford in Wicklow is the best. I can't think of the name of it though. The Bray
Head golf course is pretty good too.

Bray is nice, although you'd need to be a mountain goat to negotiate some of the holes..

The Stars
31/08/2006, 7:09 PM

used to play a lot of Golf and pitch and putt when i was younger,but these days,when i get a chance i play pitch and putt.A lot more skill involved as it is not about power,like golf.You have to be able to make the short shots which most golfers cant do.
Pitch and Putt is great for developing your short game,needed for Golf.
I would be shooting 15 over at least on the golf course,compare that to p and p where i usually hit even or under par.
so,in conclusion P and P is the better game.

superfrank
31/08/2006, 7:18 PM
Bray is nice, although you'd need to be a mountain goat to negotiate some of the holes..
Yeah i know!! I quite like the driving range though.

ken foree
31/08/2006, 7:50 PM
used to play a lot of Golf and pitch and putt when i was younger,but these days,when i get a chance i play pitch and putt.A lot more skill involved as it is not about power,like golf.You have to be able to make the short shots which most golfers cant do.
Pitch and Putt is great for developing your short game,needed for Golf.
I would be shooting 15 over at least on the golf course,compare that to p and p where i usually hit even or under par.

less skill in hitting drives/woods/long fairway shots? dunno about that, always found them the hardest of shots (along with putting). anything in-between seems just a matter of choking down the shaft (ahem) a bit and you're laffing.

The Stars
31/08/2006, 8:48 PM
what im saying is drives and long irons are easy but it takes time to perfect a short game....which can be helped by playing p and p.

sligoman
31/08/2006, 9:03 PM
which can be helped by playing p and p.Not at Berties P and P though? Smell of manure would put ya off!:p

The Stars
31/08/2006, 9:06 PM
manure.....on the fifth there is a smell from the cattle shed beside it...not as bad as sligoman is making out.

sligoman
31/08/2006, 9:09 PM
manure.....on the fifth there is a smell from the cattle shed beside it...not as bad as sligoman is making out.It depends on the day. Their was one day I played and the whole thing was flooded and on the 18th hole when I potted, their was actual **** in the hole when I was picking out the ball:o :D.

ken foree
01/09/2006, 3:16 PM
what im saying is drives and long irons are easy but it takes time to perfect a short game....which can be helped by playing p and p.

..which is exactly the opposite of what i'm saying! :D the ould fella used to play off a 16 handicap in ireland, and he would say there's no use going to driving ranges or anything else. everything you need to learn must be on a real golf course. dunno if i agree but then again he'd know a lot more than me about it. personally i get very acquainted with the right-hand side of every golf course i ever play...

back on topic, beautiful innit:

http://www.myblumberg.com/Ireland/Ballybunion.html

osarusan
03/09/2006, 2:59 AM

No, in conclusion P and P is the easier game!!

endabob1
06/09/2006, 4:06 PM
A few good courses in the midlands
Birr - Par 70 fairly tight but a nice course
Esker Hills - Outside Tullamore C.O'C designed course really good test.
Glasson - Outside Athlone another C.O'C course around the lake, lost several balls on the par 3 over the corer of the lake, nice course though.

a few years (punt days) since I played them but they were all good courses.