PDA

View Full Version : Ward turns down Norway move

A face
23/08/2006, 11:00 PM
Ward turns down Norway move

Bohemians and Republic of Ireland under-21 star Stephen Ward has decided against a proposed move to Norwegian top flight side Fredrikstad. Ward has been linked with several clubs across the water over the past 18 months, spending time on trial at Sunderland while Ipswich Town were also monitoring his progress.

The 21-year-old helped the Irish under-21s to victory over Greece in a Uefa qualifier last week and is again expected to play a central role when Belgium come to Galway next week.

Read more at www.eleven-a-side.com (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=24103)

SPXcyan
23/08/2006, 11:58 PM
he would be a loss to the league if he ends up moving :( he is a terrific player :)

swano
24/08/2006, 1:45 AM
Ah pox, I was hoping he's be out of the cup game! Probably a smart move by him though. If he has patience I'm sure he'll get a better move than Norway.

Raheny Red
24/08/2006, 9:15 AM
I reckon Bohs are not too happy that he turned this down as he is quoted as saying that he is out of contract at the end of this season and would prefer to move to England as he will be a free agent!

finnpark
24/08/2006, 10:25 AM
Anything less than a move to Championship is astep down for eircom league players now. He did the right thing turning down a move to Norway.

BrayUnknowns
24/08/2006, 11:43 AM
Anything less than a move to Championship is astep down for eircom league players now. He did the right thing turning down a move to Norway.

So your telling me a player in the eL (for example - Finn Harps, Bray, Kildare, UCD, St. Pats, Longford etc....) would be taking a step down if they moved to a club like Notts Forest, Port Vale, Tranmere, Bradford or Brighton ?

finnpark
24/08/2006, 1:52 PM
So your telling me a player in the eL (for example - Finn Harps, Bray, Kildare, UCD, St. Pats, Longford etc....) would be taking a step down if they moved to a club like Notts Forest, Port Vale, Tranmere, Bradford or Brighton ?

I was on about the top players in the eircom league so most teams mentioned above would not have these. For most players moving to Div 2 clubs in England (league 1) would have no real benefit for their career. In fact they would have more chance of being spotted playing in Europe and Eircom league than playing in the English 3rd division.

BohsFans
25/08/2006, 12:04 AM
I reckon Bohs are not too happy that he turned this down as he is quoted as saying that he is out of contract at the end of this season

you really should have read it right, as he's out of contract at the end of NEXT season (ie Nov '07).

BohsPartisan
25/08/2006, 11:48 AM
Still a prck for saying that.

ifk101
25/08/2006, 12:31 PM
Still a prck for saying that.

He's just repeating what his "advisor" Don Givens told him to say. Givens has brainwashed him at this stage.

A face
26/08/2006, 8:54 AM
He's just repeating what his "advisor" Don Givens told him to say. Givens has brainwashed him at this stage.

Surely you are wrong there .... i mean Givens is an employee of the FAI, he would only be working in Irish footballs and the domestic leagues interest :eek: