PDA

View Full Version : On those who deal with youth football...

Pat O' Banton
23/08/2006, 12:27 PM
The more sensible contributions to Ingerland's exit from the World Cup (i.e the Observer and when Saturday Comes bemoan the nation's lack of tacital awareness from youth upwards. The hump the ball long, win at all costs, it is argued

RogerMilla
24/08/2006, 3:40 PM
same as in ireland , compare it to the dutch and french kids who play six-asides and develop skills in their training , technically we are miles behind and occasionally we get a gem of a street footballer like robbie keane or in englands case wayne rooney but our average player could be so much better were he coached better from the youngest levels

DmanDmythDledge
24/08/2006, 3:43 PM
Very rarely do you see youth football teams who play anything other than long ball stuff. The problem I think lies with the coaches who are not capable of coaching the technical part of the game.

oconghc2
24/08/2006, 11:26 PM
i'll never forget playing at under 14s or something - friendly game once - we were actually passing the ball abit and went a goal up

our manager turns to us at half time - "sit back lads!" - just something that has stuck in my head - always remember training practicing long kicks !

Karlos
25/08/2006, 2:15 AM
Totally disagree on this one. As someone who has gone through the coach education system in both Ireland and in England, the problem in my eyes does not lie with the qualified youth coaches either here or in the UK. In fact there are some fantastic coaches out there having their kids play beautiful intelligent football. I've been to major youth european tournaments with Irish youth club teams and witnessed some apalling displays from Dutch, German & French teams as well as some intelligent play. It is a common misconception that their technical levels at a young age are exponentially higher on mainland europe. This just is not the case when you actually go and witness it in the flesh. one game that sticks out was watching a Rangers U14 completely destroy their Ajax counterparts in a game in Holland. Truly awesome display.

The problem for us lies with not having enough qualified coaches coupled with the fact that uneducated (in a football sense) parents often have far too big of an influence on how their child plays. Qualified coaches will focus on development, my experience is that people helping out will focus on winning. I was like that myself until I went through the system. It's tough work but it's worth it.

As an example it's sometime impossible to coach a kid about not committing to tackles when a father is at home all week and at the game on Sunday's demanding his child 'get stuck in'.

The youth clubs in Ireland who play the best football have a qualified coach in place and a support team that ensures no outside influence. Sadly with not too many people willing to give up a weekend to do the courses, smaller clubs rely on the input of parents to help out and so the cycle continues.

Stuttgart88
25/08/2006, 1:12 PM
Good post Karlos.

I can't offer an educated opinion. I've asked the question here in the past but got no response: how does the FAI's Technical Development Plan stack up? How comprehensive is it and can it be implemented properly, given time?

NeilMcD
25/08/2006, 1:41 PM
Great post Karlos.

Billsthoughts
25/08/2006, 4:02 PM
The youth clubs in Ireland who play the best football have a qualified coach in place and a support team that ensures no outside influence. Sadly with not too many people willing to give up a weekend to do the courses, smaller clubs rely on the input of parents to help out and so the cycle continues.
:rolleyes:
Surely then the FAI should be more proactive in going out to the clubs and tryin to bring coaching to these parents rather sitting waiting for people to do courses!!!!!!

Forever Dreamin
25/08/2006, 4:42 PM
:rolleyes:
Surely then the FAI should be more proactive in going out to the clubs and tryin to bring coaching to these parents rather sitting waiting for people to do courses!!!!!!

Persumably you have no involvement in junior football. The FAI regional development officers are very active in organising the coaching courses for clubs throughout the country, the problem is getting the people to go on them.

The FAI could insist on only people with the basic coaching badges running teams but the reality is there are not enough people willing to give up their time to do this.

I also agree with the "win at all costs mentality" is a major negative factor in developing kids. This mainly comes from parents who know no better and are only interested in their kid.

Also kids should play 7 a side up till U14 as this develops their all round skills far more.

the 12 th man
25/08/2006, 4:55 PM
Persumably you have no involvement in junior football. The FAI regional development officers are very active in organising the coaching courses for clubs throughout the country, the problem is getting the people to go on them.

The FAI could insist on only people with the basic coaching badges running teams but the reality is there are not enough people willing to give up their time to do this.

I also agree with the "win at all costs mentality" is a major negative factor in developing kids. This mainly comes from parents who know no better and are only interested in their kid.

Also kids should play 7 a side up till U14 as this develops their all round skills far more.

Its a major ordeal for most of the "Coaches" who are in fact ordinary Parents to give up a whole weekend (Fri Eve,all day Sat,all day Sun) which is required to attend the course for the entry level "Kick-start 1" badge.

The Managers feel that they give up enough time as it is but really the Kids deserve to be thought by people who know what they are doing as opposed to just the only person willing to do it.

I think we are getting better at it though (taking courses) and some Leagues are considering making in mandatory that a course has been taken before a Manager takes control.

btw,any Interenational competition for Kids I've been at ,the Irish Teams have always done very well.

Karlos
25/08/2006, 9:43 PM
Just reading back over my earlier post, I probably should have pointed out that I wasn't having a go at Parents who help out. On the contrary infact, there would be no football at times for our kids without them. But as far as the technical development of our youth goes, it is a problem that we don't have more qualified coaches working with the kids.

Perhaps the FAI could work more on promoting the coaching courses but it will always be the case of leading the horse to the water but being unable to make him drink. People ultimately have to want to coach and those who do make the decision usually really enjoy the courses. It can be fun weekend doing the early levels which is usually the Friday night in a classroom and the Saturday & Sunday out on the field. For me it was a real eye opener to a game which I thought foolishly I was an expert on.

I must say that Coach Education is an area where I feel the FAI do a good job given their resources. Granted, the job done at the English FA for example is far better but they do have greater finances and resources available to them for it.

The English FA offer a wonderful range of courses online which is a great help for those who can't afford time off from families at the weekend which is completely understandable. Their online psychology for soccer is a sterling example of a new learning modality that provides a great way to knock the 'win at all costs' mentality out of people's minds. This mentality more than anything stunts the development of our youth players in this country I feel. It would be nice if the FAI could partner up the English FA to offer some of these courses or develop some of their own in a similar fashion. Providing more flexible modalities to learn the trade of coaching is vital for the future of the game I feel but as with anything these things cost money which I'm assuming isn't always available given our size. :o

I have noticed over the last few years that the FAI have been offering their coaching courses to schools which is a great idea. I've had some cousins who have done the level 0 as part of their transition year courses. This is a very positive step I feel and hopefully many of the students see coaching in a different light and are interesting in progressing on the coaching ladder. I do firmly believe that the FAI are trying their hardest when it comes to coach education.

For me, the responsibility of the future of our game lies with two groups - The FAI to provide the right environment to learn the trade and of course common people like me and you who are willing to get involved :ball:

Karlos
25/08/2006, 9:46 PM
Good post Karlos.

I can't offer an educated opinion. I've asked the question here in the past but got no response: how does the FAI's Technical Development Plan stack up? How comprehensive is it and can it be implemented properly, given time?

I haven't studied it indepth Stuttgart but I do recall being impressed with what I read the first time around particulary in regard to coach education. It's been a while since I have looked at it though.

As with anything it's the implementation that's the key and as I've been away for the last year I haven't had any first hand experience with it.

Your post is great though as it's prompting me to go back and have a look over it again. If I get a chance on the weekend, I'll have a flick through and see if anything jumps out. :) :ball:

DmanDmythDledge
25/08/2006, 9:57 PM
I have noticed over the last few years that the FAI have been offering their coaching courses to schools which is a great idea. I've had some cousins who have done the level 0 as part of their transition year courses.
How would you get involved in this?

Karlos
26/08/2006, 12:13 PM
How would you get involved in this?

I would imagine a school would just need to contact the FAI about adding the course to their transition year programme. I know with my cousins class, they used to come in one morning a week or something like that to do the Level 1 course. :ball:

DmanDmythDledge
26/08/2006, 12:15 PM
I would imagine a school would just need to contact the FAI about adding the course to their transition year programme. I know with my cousins class, they used to come in one morning a week or something like that to do the Level 1 course. :ball:
So that counts me out for doing that as I've just finished fourth year.:mad: I ment to go over to England and do the FA Level 1 but I never got around to it and I'm regretting it now.

Karlos the Level 1 course you're talking about- would that be the one about coaching 6-9 years olds?

Stuttgart88
26/08/2006, 8:25 PM
I'll have a flick through and see if anything jumps out. :) :ball:I'd very much look forward to your summary opinion.

Thunderblaster
28/08/2006, 10:19 PM
I'm involved in coaching kids at U.12 level in Westport and sat my Kick Start One and Kick Start Two courses this year and my own philosophy is on good technique, ball on the ground and proper preparation. I have to admit though that the standard of under 12 football in Westport is below Kick Start Two level due to a local disorganised kickabout in the gym over the winter months for 6-12 year olds. Great to get the kids out playing but in terms of football development a total nightmare. Some of the coaches (and parents) like the kids to employ Wimbledon tactics to win a game at all costs which ultimately leads to the sweeper or centre half or the full back being castigated for playing the ball short from the back. I got blasted by one or two parents for losing games; winning was more important to them than it was to me; I was more interested in the development of the player and one of the coaches was disgusted with my approach on games that he snapped at me for costing the team a win. He hates the sight of me setting up grids for a warm up before games and having enough balls for players-he is happy enough to only have three balls and have the players taking shots on the keeper as a warm up. At another game, I introduced Jaffa Cakes, Easi Peeler oranges and Mars bars at half time. We lost a game and one of the assistants went berserk over the half time snacks but eventually backed down when I gave him a little dressing over on it. For our away games, we get to the match venue with as little as twenty minutes to kick off, stuff like that I find very unprofessional and annoying. I like to be at training early and get the grids set up but there were times when the balls were late and training descended into a bit of chaos. I had a pop at the gaffer with the balls and his answer was "I am the manager and I can come whenever I like." I started working with the Mayo Academy recently and I have to admit, the philosophy there is more in my thinking. I love technically good football with a professional application to training and games but getting the others to sing off the same hymn sheet is a serious battle. Anyways, competitive under 12 football should be scrapped and a full emphasis on coaching and development of technique.

DmanDmythDledge
28/08/2006, 10:24 PM
I think there is a major problem in training teams in the winter. Teams get a limited time to train as most teams would have been allocated a slot on an all-weather pitch or car park. This would usually be an hour a week, and that ends up being less as most managers I've seen let their team mess around taking shots into an empty net for 10 minutes. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done to resolve the situation as there is no other alternative during the winter months.

oconghc2
28/08/2006, 10:24 PM
you could probably replace mayo with ireland and "away game" with saipan and we'd have it all over again!!

agree with your post though - the whole winning mentality is drilled in too early - players like to win but i reckon the winning will start as the players grow but theyll have the skills from an earlier age.

hoops1
29/08/2006, 12:33 AM
Heres my Idea for producing better players
Please bare with me! till the end.
Scrap all leagues until u15.
There is to much win NOW at all costs mentality at u8,u9,u10,u11 etc. No vision. If you dont win at u8 or 9 your players move to better teams,They have to win at these teams because there is another kid to take there place if they dont. So 5 teams in the top league kill everyone and only get 10 decent games a year. Everbody is to busy trying to win Rather to develope
Now Whats in place of the leagues?
A list of teams who you can ring and play at your discretion
No Leagues,no results, Just developement
This would give the good managers/coaches time to develope playing properly
from the back,through midfield,on the ground technical passing football
If you lose 5-0 who cares. There is next week
When people see that the teams doing the right thing come to the top
eventually, Now we have a change of football philosopy.

At under 15 every team plays 2 or 3 times(i know thats alot) a week
you play as many teams as possible once
And now the results are taken to form the competitive league
At u16 with ,leagues,results,promotions,relegations etc

You get 6 years of developement first.With all the pressures and fears
removed. Then the good players.
Bad coaches/managers/idiots drag the good fellas down this is the way to take them from the equation
Discuss