PDA

View Full Version : Gary Dempsey off to a flier

Shelsman
04/08/2002, 11:15 AM
I see Gary Dempsey got off to a great start for Dunfermline by scoring against Celtic yesterday on his debut ( came on as a second half substitiute ).

I was having a look through some of the Dunfermline websites and it seems he only cost them £50,000. I hope Waterford had the good sense to have clauses inserted into the sale agreement for further payments at the time of transfer!

pete
06/08/2002, 11:06 AM
Disappointing that the irish media only reported that $eltic won 2-1.

Young irish striker scores 2 minutes into debut on as a sub @ Parkhead! If that doesn't deserve a mention i don't know what does?

:rolleyes:

MikeW
06/08/2002, 1:46 PM
Nobody seems to know exactly what Waterford got for him, its like they're keeping it a secret or something. This kind of thing seems to happen a lot with EL transfers - they never reveal exactly what they got for a player, so its left completely open to speculation. My own opinion is that they got 50k (sterling I hope, because thats more) up front, with another payment on his first appearance (which would have been this weekend).

I've also heard that there's a couple of clauses that will never be activated - i.e. another payment on his first international appearance, ditto for a first international goal. Since he's never going to get capped while playing for Dunfermline these clauses (if they exist) are irrelevant. Hopefully they've got some kind of sell on clause, but somehow I doubt it. Dempsey is just another example of a massively undervalued EL player being "sold" to British football. At least Waterford tried to get something decent, but I think Dunfermline got a steal here.