PDA

View Full Version : Bodhrán

DmanDmythDledge
21/08/2006, 9:37 PM
Pineapple what is the situation? Could you check before Saturday if it's working properly because it started acting up in Longford again.

pineapple stu
21/08/2006, 9:40 PM
Bodhrán.

Yes.

DmanDmythDledge
21/08/2006, 9:47 PM
While we are on the issue I think a new song could be required as we haven't made up a new one in a while I think. Any suggestions for ideas from anyone?

The best I have is;

There's only one Gary Dicker and so on/repeat.

John83
22/08/2006, 11:02 AM
There's only one Gary Dicker and so on/repeat.
We can't throw you off the bus for that one at this stage, but we can do other unpleasant things. I'm thinking you might have to watch the Limerick game upside down.

CollegeTillIDie
23/08/2006, 8:48 PM
Now now children why can't you play nice? :D

DmanDmythDledge
25/08/2006, 10:54 PM
Pineapple did you remember to check the bodhrán?

dfx-
26/08/2006, 8:46 PM
So....did it work?:D

DmanDmythDledge
26/08/2006, 8:50 PM
So....did it work?:D
Yes!:D

DmanDmythDledge
10/09/2006, 10:03 PM
While we are on the issue I think a new song could be required as we haven't made up a new one in a while I think. Any suggestions for ideas from anyone?Low lie the fields of Belfield Park
Where once we watched the ole College play
McWalter was on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
It's so lonely round the fields of Belfield Park

DmanDmythDledge
17/09/2006, 12:30 PM
Low lie the fields of Belfield Park
Where once we watched the ole College play
McWalter was on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
It's so lonely round the fields of Belfield Park
Did this get a rendition on Friday?

Also how about a version of this:

Take me home, Strokestown Road
To the place where I belong.
To Belfield. To see the College.
Take me home Strokestown Road.

Bits in bold would have to be changed.

Aberdonian Stu
17/09/2006, 12:36 PM
I've an idea. Lets not use either of those songs ever.

DmanDmythDledge
17/09/2006, 12:36 PM
Why not?

Aberdonian Stu
17/09/2006, 1:40 PM
On grounds of taste and decency.

DmanDmythDledge
17/09/2006, 2:19 PM
On grounds of taste and decency.
Do you have anything better then?

Bald Student
17/09/2006, 2:23 PM
Did this get a rendition on Friday?

Also how about a version of this:

Take me home, Strokestown Road
To the place where I belong.
To Belfield. To see the College.
Take me home Strokestown Road.

Bits in bold would have to be changed.Stillorgan Road.

pineapple stu
17/09/2006, 2:29 PM
Ironic coming from the composer of "Ciarán Kavanagh gave me 27p"!

Aberdonian Stu
17/09/2006, 2:45 PM
No pineapple, that shows I'm an expert in the field of bad songs having composed plenty myself!

As for the request from dman for anything better might I remind you young fellow that I composed the classic 'Did you get your junior cert?'

DmanDmythDledge
23/09/2006, 11:34 PM
We really need to get a drum to add to the bodhrán. Does the supporters club have any funds for this? I reckon I'll pay around half the amount anyway.

John83
23/09/2006, 11:36 PM
We probably don't right now.

Poor Student
24/09/2006, 3:28 PM
Please, no drum. A bodhran is where I draw the line. It makes a bit of noise and adds rythm. A drum is annoyingly piercing, drowns out small crowds like ours and smacks of desperation to be heard. I'm all for making noise but I think a drum is ridiculous in proportion to most crowds at eL games.

John83
24/09/2006, 7:06 PM
Please, no drum. A bodhran is where I draw the line. It makes a bit of noise and adds rythm. A drum is annoyingly piercing, drowns out small crowds like ours and smacks of desperation to be heard. I'm all for making noise but I think a drum is ridiculous in proportion to most crowds at eL games.
Have to admit, I tend that way too.

Schumi
24/09/2006, 7:21 PM
To paraphrase from South Park: the problem with drums is that people forget to stop using them. Drums do a good job if used for Drum, drum, drum College type chants where the drums and singing are separate. Using them for rhythm in songs is you end up with Dublin City type problems.

DmanDmythDledge
24/09/2006, 7:24 PM
Then the solution would be not to use the drum in every chant!

pineapple stu
24/09/2006, 7:29 PM
Can I just jump in here to lock the thread for no real reason and talk about lawnmowers?

I think the bodhrán does the job being talked about really. Gives a bit of rhythm without taking over. Also is louder than clapping and so gets people's attention.

Poor Student
24/09/2006, 7:30 PM
Drums do a good job if used for Drum, drum, drum College type chants where the drums and singing are separate.

I think they're crap for that anyway. What can it do that a bodhran can't except make a louder, more piercing and annoying noise? If you can't be heard with the bodhran and singing then all anyone will hearing is a drum randomly banging. It's more bodies we need singing. A couple of bodhrans would actually be better than those drums. They're very fecking annoying.

John83
24/09/2006, 7:31 PM
Can I just jump in here to lock the thread for no real reason and talk about lawnmowers?
No. Schumi's just itching to ban you from the subforum. :D

I think the bodhrán does the job being talked about really. Gives a bit of rhythm without taking over. Also is louder than clapping and so gets people's attention. Schumi's been keen on a drum for a while now. Have to agree for the most part - we don't have a big enough singing section to justify a drum much.

pineapple stu
24/09/2006, 7:36 PM
It's more bodies we need singing.
True. On that note, the Cork game was good for that, even without most of the regulars missing. Must get e-mails of those who were there and get them signed up to the e-mail newsletter. Must also finish the next newsletter too...

Poor Student
24/09/2006, 7:39 PM
Is it just a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder or is there more new people singing since we moved back to Friday? I have no idea who those 3 lads behind me were and those few very young lads in front of us seem to be relatively new. They all seem to have nothing to do with the promotion.

DmanDmythDledge
24/09/2006, 7:41 PM
Is it just a case of absence makes the heart grow fonder or is there more new people singing since we moved back to Friday? I have no idea who those 3 lads behind me were and those few very young lads in front of us seem to be relatively new. They all seem to have nothing to do with the promotion.
I'm pretty sure the 3 lads behind you were Ronan Finn's mates. The people that were signing infront of you always went on Friday nights before. There was supposed to be more but they didn't show up. I'd be fairly confident that a good few would go to Drogheda.

pineapple stu
24/09/2006, 7:47 PM
A lot of the younger ones were at the soccer camp, which was not that long ago and which gave out free season tickets. There are a fair few others though, like yer man who coined the greatest player nickname ever - "The Sammon of College"!

Must announce Drogheda over the PA.

DmanDmythDledge
05/10/2006, 10:40 PM
Make sure this is working tomorrow and definitely get the bus to Drogheda announced over the PA.

DmanDmythDledge
16/10/2006, 5:40 PM
We're blue,
We're white,
We're fúcking dynamite,
UCD, UCD.

Student Mullet
16/10/2006, 5:46 PM
We're blue,
We're white,
We're fúcking dynamite,
UCD, UCD.Remember kids that fúcking dynamite can lead to genital explosion. It should only be attempted under the supervision of trained professionals.

CollegeTillIDie
16/10/2006, 7:54 PM
Remember kids that fúcking dynamite can lead to genital explosion. It should only be attempted under the supervision of trained professionals.

Or to paraphrase Podge and Rodge... Never stick a firecracker up your hole on Hallowe'en.. :D

pineapple stu
16/10/2006, 9:53 PM
Remember kids that fúcking dynamite can lead to genital explosion. It should only be attempted under the supervision of trained professionals.
A rare example of reverse hereditariness too. If your parents did it, chanecs are you won't.

CollegeTillIDie
17/10/2006, 6:11 AM
Yes good point pineapple ;)