PDA

View Full Version : Fabio Out For Drogs

Sniffer
21/08/2006, 6:23 PM
FROM FAI-

Drogheda United have received confirmation from UEFA that club captain Declan O’Brien is ineligible to play in this Thursday’s UEFA Cup clash with IK Start of Norway.

The Club had enlisted the help of the FAI in an appeal to UEFA headquarters but was informed today that their appeal had been rejected.

UEFA rules state that a player cannot not be added to the pre-match squad list for a 2nd round tie unless he has played in the first leg. The “24 hour Rule” that was used in the signing of Tony Grant is not applicable in this case.

O'Brien, the clubs top scorer, hadn’t played since the 2nd of July when he suffered a serious injury in an accidental collision against Bray wanderers. He returned to the Drogs line up against Waterford United last weekend an put in a MOTM performance scoring one and assisting in another of Drogheda’s three goals.

Speaking on behalf of Drogheda United, PR & media officer Terry Collins admits that the club is disappointed with the turn of events “Everybody at the club is disappointed for the player himself but we have a large squad and it gives the players every incentive to get us the desired result that will take us to the next round”.

ENDS

iceman
21/08/2006, 6:40 PM
Some fcuk up for a club failing to register its captain and top goalscorer :confused:

OneRedArmy
21/08/2006, 7:14 PM
A paperwork error, who'd have seen that coming?:confused:

el punter
21/08/2006, 7:16 PM
Maybe Drogheda should play him anyway just so we can get a precedent set by supposedly proper administrators on what to do when when such things happen :)

holidaysong
21/08/2006, 7:17 PM
God, does any club in this country have proper administration!?!?

Speranza
21/08/2006, 7:26 PM
God, does any club in this country have proper administration!?!?

Yes :)

el punter
21/08/2006, 9:01 PM
Yes :)

You mean Linfield right?

iceman
21/08/2006, 10:18 PM
Cant understand wht Drogs did'nt just register the entire squad :confused:

Drogman.
22/08/2006, 10:50 AM
Its an absolute joke. Our club captain and top scorer is not registered for the biggest game in the clubs history??

I was feeling a little more confident after Friday when he came back and scored, but now I don't think we'll have the fire power to get anything out of the game.

Professional my ar*e!