PDA

View Full Version : In defense of Gunther!

pete
25/06/2001, 12:24 PM
I'll be Devils Advocate for Gunther for a while.....

Criticised for sticking with oldies:
- Brought in O'Grady, Welsh & O'Flynn this summer.
- Gave Carey his debut last year & always plays Horgan.
- Gave Bennet his debut the other week.
- In fairness only played Skippy off the bench unless Mulligan injured. Johnny C was playing well in midfield & little other options.

Criticised for playing Hartigan:
- Injuries & a small squad last year meany we had virtually no other forwards - has at least tries to fix this with summer signings.

Performances?:
- Brilliant run of results since up to the end of last season - got club into Europe.

Signings:
- Devine been a very good purchase.
- Unsure about Mulligan yet.
- Had the guts to make the decision to let 3 players go this summer.

rebel yell
25/06/2001, 6:03 PM
Nice arguments rebel. BTW Gunther out!

A face
25/06/2001, 7:18 PM
Fair points Rebel, but we'll see how it goes during the super cup, the fact is though, he has brunt Mountie into the ground for results and team spirit, even if it was under handed, which for some is a matter of opinion.

Leonard
25/06/2001, 7:28 PM
No arguing with results. Still, would have been nice if he didn't go complaining to the Echo that he should have gotten the job earlier when he'd been offered it twice and turned it down saying he "wasn't ready". What changed in those few months?
A minuses for the laugh: Napier cold shouldered for showing loyalty (hopefully they'll be queing up to stick the knife in you when you go, Murphy)

A face
25/06/2001, 7:37 PM
Napier is nowhere to be seen .... give good service and get dropped for your troubles.

And Fair point about being offered the job, .... he should have taken it if he wanted it that bad, it cost the club big time to get rid of Mountie (again his part played in that is a matter of opinion, it is good to make your own), well it is less money he'll have to play with.

niamh
26/06/2001, 1:51 AM
What's this between Napier and Murphy?

chief
26/06/2001, 11:24 AM
:confused:
With regard to the signings comment: Weren't Devine & Mulligan there before Murphy took full charge but fair enough respect to him for giving the young lads a chance - what about Tynan though??:(

pete
26/06/2001, 11:45 AM
I'm not saying Gunthers the be all 'n end all, was just outting forward the arguments FOR him (someone else might like to try the opposite?)

Although Mulligan & Devine were signed under the Mountfield reign it was well known Gunther recommended the players (as Mountfield obviously wouldn't have much info on).

While Tynans a handly player is isn't THAT good & still needs to improve. I think theres a lot going on behind the scenes with regard Tynan that we don't know of - IMO the Board would seem to be happy to sell him off to england for a few quid? Anyway isn't fairly hard to develop a team with a player whose off to england for trials all the time.....

chief
26/06/2001, 12:32 PM
Fair nuff Rebel... Just stating facts - although you're right about the signings being Murphy-recommended @ the end of the day it's the manager that takes the flak if they're not all that great!!

Éanna
26/06/2001, 11:30 PM
Never had any time for the guy, never will. He knifed mounfield in the back and I hope he gets whats coming to him. BUT:
Yeah he brought in the young fellows. I'm of the opinion that until Murphy and the rest of Davey Barry'sbarmy army are out of the club, we'll never improve.
Just to comment on a few things mentioned above (I stress this is all based on what I've ben told, 99% by reliable sources):
- Napier and Murphy have never got on, napier defended Mountfield: QED.
- Tynan, has apparently got a worse attitude problem than greg- at least he's a good player. BUT, no attitude should be accepted by a manager.
- Devine was signed by the board, Mountfield was told he was signing him, not given a choice- they did it to try and get the fans onside.
- Mulligan was recommended by gunther and signed by mountfield, because he trusted gunthers judgement.
In short, what has happened at city in the last 9 months stinks, and gunther is squarley at the centre of it.
MURPHY OUT!

Neil
26/06/2001, 11:52 PM
Yeah he brought in the young fellows. I'm of the opinion that until Murphy and the rest of Davey Barry'sbarmy army are out of the club, we'll never improve.
I'm 100% in agreement, and I'd go as far as to say that I'd swap winning the league (!) next season for a new professional manager. A manager that will take this club by the scruff of the neck and get rid of all the dead wood. A Pat Dolan type, A Derek Mountfield, A Damian Rico, someone who is passionate about bringing the club forward and not just winning the next game. Someone who'll turn up to Supporters Club meetings. Someone who'll chat online with the fans if requested. Someone who'll stand up to the *****s on the board and tell them how things are going to work from now on.

**** OFF Murphy, and take you're mates with ya.

niamh
27/06/2001, 1:23 AM
And someone who the fans can respect. I was at a Shels V St. Pat's match last season and Dolan got send off. He left the pitch alright and headed straight for the St. Pat's supporters. I wonder how long Murphy would survive in the same scenario?