PDA

View Full Version : Dunphy - Irish Supporter?

Forever Dreamin
19/08/2006, 9:45 AM
Who does he put 1st himself or Ireland?

Is he the most bitter commentator ever or the most intelligent?

As a player he was mediocre at best,

As a journalist the first to put the knife into Charlton, McCarthy, Kerr & Staunton and anyone else who stood up to Saint Roy - was he right?

Does he really have Irish interests at heart or is he just the most opinionated A**hole ever?

I know I can't stomach the guy when he starts getting personal with his criticisms but what does everyone else think?

Delbertt
19/08/2006, 10:47 AM
Dunphy just loves to hear himself, he is no ireland supporter he loves c'n us beat so he can rundown nd cry about the manager, players e.t.c. Mind u he does that when we win to

pete
19/08/2006, 11:00 AM
The first mistake you made was reading his "thoughts".

DotTV
19/08/2006, 11:06 AM
Dunphy speaks first and thinks later.
All he has to rely on is being controversial and sensational.
Lots of hot air and not much else

theworm2345
19/08/2006, 4:07 PM
Hes so drugged up and wasted that he doesnt know who he supports :rolleyes:

Rory H
19/08/2006, 4:15 PM
dunphy is a fool,he isnt worth talking about

Fergie's Son
19/08/2006, 7:12 PM
His stock and trade is controversy. Put another way, Dunphy has to find controversy somewhere to justify people paying attention to him. He had his place once but that place is no longer needed.

Qwerty
19/08/2006, 10:26 PM
He is a sports columnist. They are paid to have opinions. Controversial, engaging, inflamatory. But not boring. It always amuses me when people get upset with Dunphy, whatever his true feelings he is in essense an entertainer and he has given us much to laugh at over the years, wish there were more like him. He's had a great career.

rodoman
19/08/2006, 11:09 PM
Dunphy was, and is a malignent person, as a footballer, mediocre, and thats being generous. if he played ball these days he wouldn't get a game on a nightowls team, as a journalist, I've only read one book ' A Strange kind of Glory' and that was I felt was like a Union Shop Steward who had a huge grudge about the manager and who incidentally sold him on to a a mediorce team, and who his 'lover' went on to haunt United. i.e, Giles.
He will always go for the side that the minority is on, i.e, to stir s**t.
I'd say he has a h**n that Ireland have slipped up in the last few games, and would love to hear him if we actually did do well.
Football is about opinions, and in mine the toolbag will always go against the grain because it sells papers, and makes him a wage.
Let's be honest if you read his column, it's to see what the 'whinger' has moaned about, and not for football content.

Again as I said earlier 'it's about opinions', and this is just mine.

bennocelt
20/08/2006, 11:25 AM
i like Dunphy, he speaks his mind, not always right but at least he is good for an old laugh
he is also an excellent writer, his first book "only a game" (at least thats what i think its called), about life as a journeyman footballer, is one of the boos books on football out there
he was right about mary robinson, the plank kenny and drug smith
fuuny to see during the world cup, its always obvious when he is winning or losing bets, casue if he is losing he just lays into teams
alos i reckon he was drunk for one of the W cup games this year

i also like his politics, but like everything about him (and irish people) he tends to change hos opinion every few months

nshoop
21/08/2006, 1:36 AM
It's a shame cause he knows a lot about the game of football but throws any credit out the window by making stupid statements

Billsthoughts
21/08/2006, 9:58 AM
Dunphy was, and is a malignent person, as a footballer, mediocre, and thats being generous. if he played ball these days he wouldn't get a game on a nightowls team, as a journalist, I've only read one book ' A Strange kind of Glory' and that was I felt was like a Union Shop Steward who had a huge grudge about the manager and who incidentally sold him on to a a mediorce team, and who his 'lover' went on to haunt United. i.e, Giles.

jesus thats a great feckin book. the best thing about it is that dunphy keeps his moans to a minimum. compare with his roy keane book which was basically like an extended one of his sunday indo hatchett job columns he used to do.

TheLedge
21/08/2006, 10:32 AM
I love Eamon Dunphy. I love his post match analysis, punditry, political comment and the fact that he's a rebel against conformity.

Some of the people who think he's not an Ireland supporter because he's got an opinion which is generally critical. As I live in England I have to put up with the sycophants and morons in the BBC week in week out constantly larging up their national team whether they deserve the praise or not.

Eamon is a realist. He's not going to paint you a picture that isn't there. He's incredibly intelligent and will win an argument with anyone when it comes to football ( even the most talented players - Brady) and can make them look an idiot.

A classic love him or hate him character. He's almost panto.

God Bless Eamon!

Dr. Ogba
21/08/2006, 10:40 AM
I must say that the only time I'll stay tuned for pre/post match analysis is when Dunphy, Giles and Brady are on RTE. Its compulsive viewing, Dunphy with his constant OTT rants offset by the more sane musings of Giles and Brady and Billo and often degenerates into a slanging match...Its fantastic stuff! :D

Having said that most of his newspaper articles are absolute sh.ite of the highest order...but I wouldn't expect much more from a rag like The Star...:rolleyes:

NeilMcD
21/08/2006, 10:45 AM
I think Dunphy is alright when it comes to the Premiership and World cup but I do not like the stuff he does in relation to irish football. He clearly does not have the interest of Irish football at heart.

Jerry The Saint
21/08/2006, 11:09 AM
He's like a cracked-out version of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons. Every game is described as "Worst. Performance. Ever." or "the biggest load of tripe I've ever seen".

I believe he's said this about at least 4 games in the last 12 months (Cyprus Away; France, Switzerland and now Holland at Home). He also thinks every World Cup and Champions League is worse than the previous one. Apparently, he thinks football reached perfection around the time of his 25th birthday - typical old fart behaviour. :)

Roverstillidie
21/08/2006, 11:23 AM
dunphy has never been concerned about irish football.

he may occasionally be entertaining and was spot on about charlton when the press were doing lapdog impressions, but its all self publicity.

case in point, dons for dublin.

has he got a book coming out or a new show that needs his face in the news?

NeilMcD
21/08/2006, 11:30 AM
Great post Rovers, I think you hit the nail on the the head about him there.

DubJohn
21/08/2006, 12:22 PM
dunphy has never been concerned about irish football.

he may occasionally be entertaining and was spot on about charlton when the press were doing lapdog impressions, but its all self publicity.

case in point, dons for dublin.

has he got a book coming out or a new show that needs his face in the news?

Your Googlefight is wrong, if you put in the correct name of the club Bohemians FC (not Bohemian), you will see they are the clear winners! :D

TonyD
21/08/2006, 12:22 PM
He's incredibly intelligent and will win an argument with anyone when it comes to football ( even the most talented players - Brady) and can make them look an idiot.

A classic love him or hate him character. He's almost panto.

God Bless Eamon!

Incredibly intelligent ? Really?:eek: As for winning arguments, I've certainly never seen him make Brady look like an idiot. On the contrary, when they were doing Champions League games together I lost count of the number of times that Humpty would call a match wrong, and Brady be spot on beforehand. The only person I've ever seen Humpty win an argument with is Bill O'Herlihy,and that's only because he shouts him down.

P.S - you were spot on about the Panto though:D

DubJohn
21/08/2006, 12:24 PM
Your Googlefight is wrong, if you put in the correct name of the club Bohemians FC (not Bohemian), you will see they are the clear winners! :D

..sorry, I stand corrected, didn't check my facts! :o

youngirish
21/08/2006, 1:09 PM
Dunphy is an idiot and his opinions shoul be taken with a grain of salt. He is entertaining though and is still a far better pundit than the patronising morons who I'm forced to listen to on the English channels now I'm no longer living in the Emerald Isle.

TheLedge
21/08/2006, 1:38 PM
Incredibly intelligent ? Really?:eek: As for winning arguments, I've certainly never seen him make Brady look like an idiot. On the contrary, when they were doing Champions League games together I lost count of the number of times that Humpty would call a match wrong, and Brady be spot on beforehand. The only person I've ever seen Humpty win an argument with is Bill O'Herlihy,and that's only because he shouts him down.

P.S - you were spot on about the Panto though:D

Two words!

"Bidding War" - Made Brady look like the clueless Arsenal idiot that he is. :D

geysir
21/08/2006, 2:29 PM
he may occasionally be entertaining and was spot on about charlton when the press were doing lapdog impressions,
The impression I had at the time was that Giles had the intelligent analysis about Charlton and Dunphy did the tabloid version.

OwlsFan
21/08/2006, 3:52 PM

Tell us how he was spot on about Charlton ? Only in Ireland would someone, after 50 years of failure by the national team, be vilified on TV by Messrs Dunphy, Giles and Drunkphy, despite getting the national team to 2 World Cups and an European Championship and for the two World Cups get through to the next round (something Scotland with all their talented players have never done) and be within a few minutes of a Euro Semi-Final only to be robbed by an offside goal.

Dunphy - a snake in the grass, hopeless pundit, vindicate and tabloidian (if there is such a word and yet condemns the English tabloid press), a hypocrite, self-contradictory and supported the sale of Milltown, one of Ireland's premier soccer grounds because he was a friend of the Kilcoynes but loved by many of the Irish people as "a great laugh". Only in this country would such a wretch be tolerated.

Don't get me started.....

NY Hoop
21/08/2006, 4:04 PM
Tell us how he was spot on about Charlton ? Only in Ireland would someone, after 50 years of failure by the national team, be vilified on TV by Messrs Dunphy, Giles and Drunkphy, despite getting the national team to 2 World Cups and an European Championship and for the two World Cups get through to the next round (something Scotland with all their talented players have never done) and be within a few minutes of a Euro Semi-Final only to be robbed by an offside goal.

Dunphy - a snake in the grass, hopeless pundit, vindicate and tabloidian (if there is such a word and yet condemns the English tabloid press), a hypocrite, self-contradictory and supported the sale of Milltown, one of Ireland's premier soccer grounds because he was a friend of the Kilcoynes but loved by many of the Irish people as "a great laugh". Only in this country would such a wretch be tolerated.

Don't get me started.....

Spot on and am worried and shocked that it has taken 2 pages before someone pointed this out. The vermin said Lucifer was a hero to Irish soccer.:eek:

The only medal he won in football was with Rovers in 1978 and he is ashamed of it. What a complete muppet.

The way he reverentially looks at Brady and Giles on tv is sad and pathetic.

Completely wrong about traitor, the "establishment", writing for the common man when he's a millionaire etc etc etc.

A parody of himself at this stage. Wants Stan sacked after 3 ****ing friendlies? Oh dear.

The day this fool and Lucifer kicks the bucket will be an unending celebration for anyone who does actually care for Irish football. And that does not include clowns who wear premier**** tops.

KOH

NeilMcD
21/08/2006, 4:21 PM
who is Lucifer.

Roverstillidie
21/08/2006, 4:25 PM
kilcoyne.

he has a dodgy heart so happily he will die soon.

Junior
21/08/2006, 4:46 PM
who is Lucifer.

who do you think Neil? C'mon lets not go down that road.

NeilMcD
21/08/2006, 4:51 PM
I was just asking a question and Rovers answered it. i was not trying to stir anything just asking thats all.

nshoop
23/08/2006, 2:04 AM
I was just asking a question and Rovers answered it. i was not trying to stir anything just asking thats all.

:rolleyes:

RogerMilla
23/08/2006, 6:39 AM
dunphy is a muppet , he had a huge role in preventing roy keane retruning to the irish team after saipan and again before kerrs first game , while everyone might laugh and enjoy his controversial views the fact is that i have lost respect for niall quinn for not taking dunphy up on what he said about him on live TV , if it was said about me i would have decked him and i think most posters here would have too.

i have no respect for dunphy

NY Hoop
23/08/2006, 11:06 AM

Really? Well whats with the crest then?:rolleyes:

KOH

NeilMcD
23/08/2006, 12:16 PM
For feck sake I was not sure did you mean Kilcoyne or Roy Keane and I just wanted to know thats all. I was not stirring in anyway. Rovers kindly answered the question for me. End of story. Now back on thread please.

TonyD
23/08/2006, 12:24 PM
Two words!

"Bidding War" - Made Brady look like the clueless Arsenal idiot that he is. :D

Two lovely words to be sure, but you'll have to clarify for me. Whatever exchange I presume this to be a reference to between Dunphy and Brady I seem to have missed it. (And I still think both Brady and Giles are streets ahead of Dunphy in alalysis. All he does is take Giles points and repeat them, with added hysteria.)

endabob1
23/08/2006, 12:26 PM
When you're stuck in the UK for 10 years with Townsend and McCoist or Alan Shearer, Mark Lawrenson & Lee Dixon (I'll exempt Hansen because I like him) you would be gratefull for every minute of Dunphy, Giles and Brady

RogerMilla
23/08/2006, 12:31 PM
every time i see townsend i just think what a quality player he was for us and wish we had his likes now....

endabob1
23/08/2006, 12:33 PM
Good player
Complete **** though, he's actually worse on the radio too

fergalr
23/08/2006, 9:40 PM
Dunphy is a WUM. (In fact he must be the supreme WUM given how he makes a substantial living out of it).

bennocelt
23/08/2006, 11:09 PM
Good player
Complete **** though, he's actually worse on the radio too

thats funny
Today Fm with dunphy and Navan man et al was classic radio, that kind of stuff will probably never be heard again in ireland
:eek:

Ringy
24/08/2006, 1:14 AM
weather you love him or hate him you'll miss him when he's gone off the airwaves and our screens.

nshoop
24/08/2006, 1:21 AM
Eh,no not really