PDA

View Full Version : geriatrics

Ali-G
31/07/2002, 4:44 PM
In an attempt to break the record (currently held by Skippy and Johnny C) for the oldest centre forward pairing in history, Derry City signed David Kelly to play up front with Liam Coyle. A combined age of 173 years and 213 days is only 1 year and 87 days shy of the Johnny C/Skippy pairing.

Seriously though, Kelly is 36. I would rather mark him than Johnny "greyhound" O Flynn if I was a LOI centre half this season (I'm not)

Read it on soccercentral.ie

:D

dalo
01/08/2002, 8:22 AM
Originally posted by Ali-G

Seriously though, Kelly is 36. I would rather mark him than Johnny "greyhound" O Flynn if I was a LOI centre half this season (I'm not)

:D

seen this so many times- these washed up centre forwards well into their 30's think they can cut it in the eircomleague. do any of ye remember the farce around john hollins when he played for cobh?
steve archibald was in a similar boat for sligo.

we don't need their type around in our game

hopefully kelly won't last a few games and will go home quietly

:o

patsh
01/08/2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by dalo

seen this so many times- these washed up centre forwards well into their 30's think they can cut it in the eircomleague. do any of ye remember the farce around john hollins when he played for cobh?
steve archibald was in a similar boat for sligo.

we don't need their type around in our game

hopefully kelly won't last a few games and will go home quietly

:o
Spot on dalo, what we need is more John O'Flynns....
except of course, they will jump at the first chance they get to go/return to England........:(

Dricky
01/08/2002, 10:24 AM
The revenue of the sales of returning player will mean that the clubs can be self sufficient and entice future players to stay, but the el is still years behind but we are better of now than 5 years ago, that with the youth programmes developed by the FAI (the only good thing they have got through) we should see ourselves cutting off these feeder club crap, if a player wants to go and play for a larger club best of luck, but keep them away from the 2nd and lower division in engerland and make money from their sale, don't let them walk for free.

But we don't need retirement candidates, leave them to the 2nd and lower division in engerland