PDA

View Full Version : Premiershi* Coverage Newstalk106

CollegeTillIDie
15/08/2006, 8:01 PM
Have any of you heard some of the adverts on Newstalk 106 promoting their coverage of the English Premiershi* season which starts next week?

Well on some of the adverts the background music is a song called " It's a Shame". Strangely appropriate song , which in it's perverse way depicts the pathetic attitude of the majority of people certainly in this city who slavishly follow foreign football at the expense of the domestic game.

Sadly this is becoming a trend in other countries as well.

thejollyrodger
15/08/2006, 9:17 PM
newstalk sucks... they are eating humble pie now because they got it utterly wrong about the Eircom League and slated it for months on end when it was clearly on an upward spirl. What a complete bunch of idiots on that show. Not a brain cell between them.

Lim till i die
15/08/2006, 10:56 PM
Promoting coverage of the Premiership on Newstalk?? :eek:

Boy, won't their faces be red when no ones interested :rolleyes:

Eoingull
16/08/2006, 2:24 AM
Due to the hours I work, I usually only get to listen to the late night repeats, but I seem to remember they often gave positive mention to the Eircom League. Has this totally stopped? Regarding current affairs, I actually think this is an excellent radio station. I hope "market forces" haven't moved them away from the domestic game.

CollegeTillIDie
16/08/2006, 6:15 AM
Sadly their much vaunted Eircom League Hour( frequently a lot less lately) on Thursday nights and on the Saturday sports show in the afternoon , are always the first ones cut when there are GAAAAAAAA games on; or some stupid Premiershi* transfer rumour to talk about .

And having Roddy "knocker" Collins on is not a positive step. He is very negative. This is the man who said , in his Sunday newspaper column, that no Irish team would advance in the UEFA Cup after Derry drew Gretna, and Drogheda got IK Start. Well Roddy you got that one wrong big time. Daniel McDonnell is very positive about the League but he is often shouted down by "Knocker".

charliesboots
16/08/2006, 8:16 AM
Don't agree. Newstalk have every right to promote their broadcasting of any football they want.

The got fecked around by RTE and the FAI when they broadcast eircom League games because RTE claimed the radio rights. Even when newstalk looked for some way around it (i.e Dublin radio rights) they were told no.

The good thing that came out of was that RTE were told that unless they started broadcasting matches they'd lose their radio rights and as a result we have Friday sportsnight.

BrayUnknowns
16/08/2006, 8:45 AM
Why is a thread about the English Premiership posted in eL General ?

Dodge
16/08/2006, 9:06 AM
As charliesboots said newstalk did give the league great coverage but RTE blocked them from doing live games, they've no paid for the rights to the EPL and good luck to them. I won't be listening but I'm sure they won't mind

Bray Unknowns; stop nit picking, its a general debate on radio coverage.

WeAreRovers
16/08/2006, 10:23 AM
Have to agree with Dodge and Charlies's Boots. Broadcasting and sports rights are way, way more complicated than most people on here assume. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

The constant slagging of RTÉ and now Newstalk is based on prejudice and not one iota of fact. Watch out for massive changes next season from both broadcasters. I won't be waiting for the kudos from foot.ie posters though when it happens. :rolleyes:

KOH

BrayUnknowns
16/08/2006, 10:24 AM
As charliesboots said newstalk did give the league great coverage but RTE blocked them from doing live games, they've no paid for the rights to the EPL and good luck to them. I won't be listening but I'm sure they won't mind

Bray Unknowns; stop nit picking, its a general debate on radio coverage.

Yeah about the EPL ! It doesn;t belong here IMO

NY Hoop
16/08/2006, 11:00 AM
Have to agree with Dodge and Charlies's Boots. Broadcasting and sports rights are way, way more complicated than most people on here assume. And yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

The constant slagging of RTÉ and now Newstalk is based on prejudice and not one iota of fact. Watch out for massive changes next season from both broadcasters. I won't be waiting for the kudos from foot.ie posters though when it happens. :rolleyes:

KOH

Well christ on a bike if rtengland ever actually get the scores right or even announce European results on their news bulletins I'll buy you a pint:D

In fact if they get rid of canning doing live commentary I'll throw in a mars bar!!

Who the hell listens to radio anyway?!!

KOH

Jerry The Saint
16/08/2006, 11:15 AM
Heh, "The Premiership" - good name for a league-based competition that. I can see why Newstalk would be interested...

pete
16/08/2006, 11:27 AM
Newstalk are entitled to do whatever they like however i agree that their eL & other sports coverage has disimproved.

They used to have 1 hour dedicated eL hour but now its 10 minutes at most & Roddy just used as an entertaining clown.

IMO Premiership commentary shows how Newstalk have got lazy. Fair enought o cover big games that people have interest but they also cover Monday night or midweek games like Charlton v Fulham which no one has any interest in.

I do not expect Newstalks sports coverage to improve when they go national as will be wall to wall GAA.

:rolleyes:

WeAreRovers
16/08/2006, 11:42 AM
Well christ on a bike if rtengland ever actually get the scores right or even announce European results on their news bulletins I'll buy you a pint:D

For someone who spends most of his waking hours banging on about the use of the word Shams I have one question - WTF is RTEngland?

KOH

Dodge
16/08/2006, 11:55 AM
Watch out for massive changes next season from both broadcasters. I won't be waiting for the kudos from foot.ie posters though when it happens. :rolleyes:

Wait, are you responsible for RTE's coverage WaR? From an e-mail reply sent to Joema by Setanta it seems, they have big plans for next season too. Should be interesting

BohDiddley
16/08/2006, 12:03 PM
Have to admit, there's a lot to admire about Newstalk in terms of programme quality, mostly outside its unimaginatively GAA and EPL-driven sports offerings.
But Newstalk's take on English, Spanish and Italian football is simply hilarious. Their oh-so-smug pundits speak with such certainty and authority about the lofty heights of these countries' leagues that it should be packaged and played back in the top clubs' dressing rooms. Top coaches are categorised as has-beens, if they're having a blip/run of out zillions to buy players, or geniuses if they go on a bit of a run. All topped off with 'Oh yeah, and Cork are playing Derry City tonight.'
It's a bit like the Skibereen Eagle keeping an eye on the Kaizer.

WeAreRovers
16/08/2006, 12:30 PM
Wait, are you responsible for RTE's coverage WaR? From an e-mail reply sent to Joema by Setanta it seems, they have big plans for next season too. Should be interesting

Jaysus Dodge, me "responsible" for anything? No chance, the word I would use is "informed" and yes the plans are big and should satisfy most eL fans, with the obvious exception of NY Hoop of course. ;)

Boh Diddley - to be fair to Newstalk, their coverage of European football is excellent. If you don't rate Graham Hunter, Sid Lowe, et al then you should stick to Cathal Dervan and Roddy Collins in the Star Sunday for your punditry.

KOH

BohDiddley
16/08/2006, 12:49 PM
JBoh Diddley - to be fair to Newstalk, their coverage of European football is excellent. If you don't rate Graham Hunter, Sid Lowe, et al then you should stick to Cathal Dervan and Roddy Collins in the Star Sunday for your punditry.

They're buy-ins, and I wasn't aiming my comments at them. TBH, I usually turn it off, as it's not as if there's a famine of EPL/European coverage out there.
In fairness, I also like listening to J. Giles if I happen to tune in.
I'm more thinking of the anchor, whether Gilroy or the new feller, and that Irish guy with the supercilious tone that makes him sound like he's considering what Seria A team he should buy next.

placid casual
16/08/2006, 12:57 PM
that would one ken earley.
self-styled guru of european football and all round knob jockey

Passive
16/08/2006, 1:00 PM
For someone who spends most of his waking hours banging on about the use of the word Shams I have one question - WTF is RTEngland?

KOH

For someone who spends most of his waking hours banging on about the "establishment media", you seem to know a lot about it ;)

WeAreRovers
16/08/2006, 1:04 PM
For someone who spends most of his waking hours banging on about the "establishment media", you seem to know a lot about it ;)

It's 'cos I own most of it son.

Yours in Sport,
Sir AJF O'Reilly

KOH

NY Hoop
16/08/2006, 1:10 PM

KOH

All I can say thank fcuk for TV3. Even if coverage is on at an impossible hour at least its a dedicated EL programme something rtengland have never managed.

But if what you're saying is true, and there's always a first time:D , then I will gladly drop the england part!!

KOH

WeAreRovers
16/08/2006, 1:25 PM
But if what you're saying is true, and there's always a first time:D , then I will gladly drop the england part!!

Done!

KOH

pete
16/08/2006, 2:52 PM
that would one ken earley.
self-styled guru of european football and all round knob jockey

He has bad a radio career out of reading that days newspapers & websites. :rolleyes:

Gilroy used to be ok but something changed & he smug & annoying now.

Dodge
16/08/2006, 3:48 PM
Now that he's in bed with the GAA...

Gilroy doesn't wouldn't know that much about any sport but he's a damn good presenter (particularly on radio - can't really judge him on tv yet as I couldn't watch that Soccer AM GAA rip off thingy)

CollegeTillIDie
16/08/2006, 9:40 PM
I have to agree with the comment about their Monday night and midweek matches. I mean nobody but nobody in this country gives a rat's ass about Bolton V Charlton Athletic or Fulham V Middlesbro for that matter. Doesn't stop Newstalk106 relaying BBC Radio 5's coverage of those games though, and that is pure laziness.

Dodge
16/08/2006, 10:07 PM
I have to agree with the comment about their Monday night and midweek matches. I mean nobody but nobody in this country gives a rat's ass about Bolton V Charlton Athletic or Fulham V Middlesbro for that matter. Doesn't stop Newstalk106 relaying BBC Radio 5's coverage of those games though, and that is pure laziness.
Its more than likely part of their contract.

Dr.Nightdub
16/08/2006, 11:20 PM

Oh good - the print and broadcast media are gonna have a pop at each other. Get the Herald to cover it - and we all know who I have in mind to write the story! ;)

Back on topic, in fairness to Newstalk, they are still covering eL games to the best of their ability given that they can't do live commentary. Or at least they were earlier this season - I got nabbed for a post-match interview in relation to Pats For Richmond.

Bear in mind that Newstalk's share of total radio listenership in Dublin is still pretty small, apart from their big hitters like Hook and Dunphy while he was still there. Even then, I think it's <10% of ALL listened-yesterday adults, which is one of the basic measures before you get into the niceties of ABC1s and so on. Given that listenership figures for for radio stations nosedive anyway after teatime, that leaves them with a small "share of voice" of a tiny pool.

Then add in the fact that LoI fans are a small minority of the wider universe of sports fans, which is who they're obviously targetting in the evenings and you're left with a small minority of interested listeners to a station with a small share of voice of a small pool.

The fact that they bother even mentioning the LoI at all is a credit to them.

If you wanna give out about radio coverage of the LoI, whether in Dublin or nationally, there are much bigger fish to fry. For example, the likes of 98FM and FM104 - their apathy, mixed with occasional tabloid-hysteria coverage on the late-night dial-a-moron shows, is far far worse.

charliesboots
17/08/2006, 9:46 AM
the late-night dial-a-moron shows

:D :D :D

WeAreRovers
17/08/2006, 10:58 AM
Oh good - the print and broadcast media are gonna have a pop at each other. Get the Herald to cover it - and we all know who I have in mind to write the story! ;)

Oi, mind your own! ;)

Good post though, I'm always amazed at people knocking any small attempt to help the league - Bray's new stand, Newstalk's coverage, RTÉ's coverage etc.

For instance, how many of the RTÉ knockers listen to Con Murphy's show on Friday nights? Sod all I'd imagine as they're at games themselves. I got a taxi to Tolka recently and the Cork City supporting driver was listening to RTÉ Radio One's coverage - they had a reporter in every ground. The taxi driver described it as as Godsend.

And anyway in relation to Newstalk's Premiership coverage , I like to listen to live football on the radio. Even if it's Charlton v Blackburn on a Monday night. I like football you see. Mad, isn't it?

KOH

pete
17/08/2006, 12:09 PM
And anyway in relation to Newstalk's Premiership coverage , I like to listen to live football on the radio. Even if it's Charlton v Blackburn on a Monday night. I like football you see. Mad, isn't it?

I think you in the minority. Newstalk are usually just replaying the coverage on BBC 5 live which some people can pick up themselves on LW anyway.

IMO its too easy for them to fill their schedule with that dross than have interviews & contributers like the rest of the week.

I would be surprised if part of their contract as they pick & choose sunday games especially when Dublin GAA game on earlier so they'll then only replay the 4pm game commentary.

Dodge
17/08/2006, 12:20 PM
I think Newstalk only have 5 live extra as their providor (not the main 5 live broadcast) as main channell dips in and out where as 5 live extra sticks with one game. Could be wrong but has been tht way for my 2 games listening (stoopid gambling...)

wws
17/08/2006, 12:24 PM
i listen to it al lot and last season

weekday fixtures would be fed from BBC Five Live - the nighttime games on a monday and tuesday and so on

and weekend games would be fed from a totally diff station which advertised a hotmail address were listners in "eire" could get in touch

the only problem with newstalk is the kerryman jerry o sullivan -the humour is real college blokes in the college bar level, can grate at times - but for interviews etc etc they are untouchable

Passive
17/08/2006, 12:31 PM
I think criticisms of RTE are valid. Unlike Newstalk - a commercial station - RTE is a public service broadcaster and, as such, has a duty to cover events of a national interest even if they do not make them money. RTE's problem is that they claim they are a public service broadcaster but - aside from programmes like Nationwide - act like a commercial station. It's tough for them because they are under commercial pressures but if they are a public service broadcaster they have a duty to cover items such as the EL. To date, they have failed, and failed utterly.

NY Hoop
17/08/2006, 1:02 PM
I think criticisms of RTE are valid. Unlike Newstalk - a commercial station - RTE is a public service broadcaster and, as such, has a duty to cover events of a national interest even if they do not make them money. RTE's problem is that they claim they are a public service broadcaster but - aside from programmes like Nationwide - act like a commercial station. It's tough for them because they are under commercial pressures but if they are a public service broadcaster they have a duty to cover items such as the EL. To date, they have failed, and failed utterly.

Exactly.

While their live coverage of games is excellent they never bothered with any highlights show ever. When we won the league in 94 they turned up for less than half the games:rolleyes:

No other senior domestic league in the world was ignored by their national station to this extent. Especially when you saw how every league game up north was shown.

Coupled with the fact that some of the commentators are laughingly bad it just shows that they treat the league like most people treat dummy: like a joke.

If these "massive changes" are more live games that is not the solution.

KOH

WeAreRovers
17/08/2006, 1:20 PM
I think you in the minority. Newstalk are usually just replaying the coverage on BBC 5 live which some people can pick up themselves on LW anyway.

Just proves my point about lack of knowledge re broadcasting. Newstalk buy the secondary rights from a crowd called Premiership Plus (or something along those lines) who in turn have the secondary rights from 5 Live - hence the 5 Live feed and the cutting away from it when their coverage leaves the live football. Pretty much as wws said.

Passive - Absolute nonsense about RTÉ's public service broadcasting - 11 new factual series this autumn, 7 new Lifestyle series, 3 new dramas, best news and current affairs coverage in the country, tons and tons free-to-air sport (have a look at what the Beeb have for a comparision)

I'm sure there's a copy of our Autumn Brochure in your office or log on to our press site before you start toeing the INM party line.

KOH

NY Hoop
17/08/2006, 1:24 PM
What about Passive's last line in his post?

KOH

Passive
17/08/2006, 1:34 PM
WAR, I think most of the criticism RTE gets is ridiculous. I'm very pro-RTE, for obvious reasons. Maybe what I said was harsh in terms of them failing their duty as a public service broadcaster. They do live up to this role in certain areas. However, the one area where I feel they do deserve criticism is their total disregard for domestic football. They have never made an effort to promote football here, whereas they make every effort to satisfy the market's demand for the EPL. By all means satisfy the market's demand, but balance it with coverage of domestic sport.

And arguing for coverage of the EL is hardly the INM party line!

WeAreRovers
17/08/2006, 2:08 PM
What about Passive's last line in his post?

KOH

Don't disagree with it at all. What do you think I spend my time doing if not arguing for more and better eL coverage? Oh, and the odd bit of work too.

Passive - I see what your saying re the EPL but there's a philosophical discussion to be had over what constitutes PSB. A discussion that RTÉ are afraid to have but really should do. I would argue that the Eircom League, The Sopranos, the World Cup etc are all PSB. The EPL is another matter altogether.

pete
17/08/2006, 2:25 PM
With RTE you get the good & the bad.

RTE Radio 1 friday nights is the best coverage of any broadcaster on tv, radio or newspaper.

RTE Tv coverage is good sometimes but then poor on other occasions. Still seems like they only going it because they have to & the combination of commentators & pundits is very poor. FFS they couldn't pick a worse pundit than Roddy. If you make constructive criticism of RTE the only response you get is "sure what else can you expect..." type excuse.

:rolleyes:

Dr.Nightdub
17/08/2006, 10:24 PM
Unlike Newstalk - a commercial station - RTE is a public service broadcaster and, as such, has a duty to cover events of a national interest even if they do not make them money. RTE's problem is that they claim they are a public service broadcaster but - aside from programmes like Nationwide - act like a commercial station. It's tough for them because they are under commercial pressures but if they are a public service broadcaster they have a duty to cover items such as the EL.

Ah come on Passive, that's an incredibly one-dimensional view of RTE. Yes, they have a public service broadcasting remit but the demographics of this country don't allow them to operate on any financial model other than a semi-commercial one - there simply aren't enough households in the country to enable them to fulfill the PSB obligations on licence fee income alone. Hence they've no choice but to act as a commercial station (albeit one with arcane work - or more like it, work-shy - practices straight out of the public service :D )

However they do a great job in terms of commisioning and airing home-produced programmes - check WAR's list (or the very natty MP4 player being fired about by RTE Sales at the moment ;) ) Just compare their output in this regard to TV3, a "purely" commercial operation who were getting the benefit of preferential "transfer pricing" (in the business, not football sense) from CanWest / Granada up until recently. Or compare them to Sky1 who could easily be subsidised by the Murdoch empire if they wanted to be anything other than totally commercial.

The fact that RTE p1ss all over their competitors in audience terms indicates that they are giving the viewers what they want - a fairly crude definition of "national interest" but probably valid all the same. I know they've increased their share considerably this year and one of the key drivers was a home-produced programme - Podge & Rodge, believe it or not. Don't take my word or WAR's for it though, talk to Drimnagh Hoop. If he's still working where he used to, he's ideally placed to give you an unbiased opinion.

You yourself mentioned RTE's obligation to cover events of national interest. I think we'd all agree that, rightly or wrongly, the contents of Pineapple Stu's attendances thread would suggest that LoI simply doesn't qualify as being "of national interest".

If you stay within the limits of sport, then what qualifies as being "of national interest" is really just the EPL, CL, horse racing and Rovers' pals in the GAA, and they cover those. Unfortunately, us LoI Luddites are "of minority interest" which is a whole different thing.

PSB and minority interests may well overlap in pure theoretical terms but in the semi-commercial context of RTE, I can't see the benefit of them screening some kind of LoI highlights show in the wee hours of the morning which is where it'd most likely end up. There, or on a Friday teatime, like the Soccer Show RIP - that, I grant you, was inspired stupidity in terms of scheduling.

Our fundamental problem isn't with RTE - it's with RTE's audience. If they want to watch LoI, eventually RTE will come around. Therein lies the real challenge.

Passive
18/08/2006, 8:11 AM
Doc, I agree with most of your post (as I said, I am pro-RTE) but I don't agree that EL is not in the national interest. Not only is it a domestic sport, it is the domestic version of the most popular sport in the country! Viewing figures for televised games show that there is a desire amongst Irish people to watch domestic football, even if it is only from the comfort of their armchair. In fact, the viewing figures RTE have received from their televised games should actually satisfy their commercial desires, leaving aside any debate about the national interest.

Besides, you can't honestly tell me, while keeping a straight face, that the only reason RTE don't show EL is because they don't believe it to be in the national interest. I believe RTE's prejudice against EL to be the same as that of another media outlet, of which I am more than familiar.

Jerry The Saint
18/08/2006, 11:47 AM
7 new Lifestyle series

Oh, excellent - you can never have too many of these! I hope they do something about houses...:rolleyes:

:D

Dr.Nightdub
18/08/2006, 10:21 PM
Passive, I reckon the only difference between us revolves around the difference between "in the national interest" and "of national interest".

I accept that there's a chicken and egg thing going on - if they show matches, especially before the CL kicks in, people will watch e.g. the Pats-Bohs Cup semi replay a few years ago. On the other hand, you can see the logic in a thought process that says if not many people are going to matches, then not many are interested enough to watch LoI football so why give up valuable prime time just to watch your audience zap.

harry crumb
18/08/2006, 10:59 PM
RTE, give us a review show that looks like it has some good production values behind it.

TV3 have it a level but apart from bringing an extra panelist onto the show have gone backwards.:mad: