PDA

View Full Version : Carr Interview in the Times.

NeilMcD
15/08/2006, 9:47 AM
Motivated to make a major impact

Mary Hannigan hears why Stephen Carr has returned to the national side with renewed optimism

Such has been Stephen Carr's aversion in recent years to speaking to the media one can only assume Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton had a tougher job persuading the Dubliner to sit in front of a mound of tape recorders at the team hotel yesterday than he had of persuading him to return to international football.

According to the Newcastle right-back, though, the latter task proved straightforward enough for Staunton, even if, when he announced his retirement at the end of the World Cup qualifying campaign last October, Carr had insisted, "there is no going back for me now." And even before bumping into Bobby Robson on a flight from Dublin to Newcastle, when the man who signed him for the northeast of England club had a "quiet word", Carr was already beginning to view his decision as premature.

"I missed it, to be honest," he said. "I missed the buzz of the lads, the team spirit. I missed playing international football. I didn't think I would. I thought I'd enjoy having my break, having a few days off, but I found I didn't. I had no interest in having a few days off. I was bored.

"I thought it would help me injury-wise, help me long term in my career by not playing the extra games, but then I realised that one day that would be taken away from me whether I'd like it or not. I'll be a long time retired so I'm happy I've made this decision."

What was your motivation for retiring in the first place?

"I don't want to answer that, to be honest," he said.

What was your motivation for coming back?

"That'd be answering it, wouldn't it?" he grinned. "But no, I didn't need much persuading because I'd started thinking about it anyway. Then I spoke to Stan, spoke to Bobby once or twice and I liked what they had to say about how things will progress with the team and what they're going to do. But I was already half thinking about it; what they had to say just sealed it."

If he was unhappy with aspects of life under the previous regime, as has often been suggested, Carr was revealing nothing yesterday, but he did admit to being pleased to see a couple of familiar faces restored to the Irish camp.

"The spirit wasn't too bad before, although I've seen a lot written about it. But it wasn't too bad, it's just about familiarity. The lads were used to the set-up with Mick (Byrne) and Tony (Hickey, the squad's security officer), the same people we'd had for so long. The lads missed them, people they probably found they could really trust and have a good relationship with. That was probably unfortunate on the new people coming in, who were taking their place, but it's great to have them back because they're really good people and the lads love them.

"But they not being there had nothing to do with us not qualifying last time. The bottom line was we weren't good enough . . . We had opportunities to win the group, we didn't take them.

"As a team and as individuals we just had to look at ourselves and say we didn't perform. It doesn't matter who's on the sideline, what manager you have, what security man you have, we should have won those games against Israel - we didn't and it cost us in the end."

Carr's return and the call-up of young winger Alan O'Brien brought to four the number of Newcastle players named by Staunton in the squad for tomorrow's game against The Netherlands, before Shay Given's withdrawal through injury.

"It's great, it's still a bit weird, but it's great," Carr said of the arrival at the club of the fourth of that contingent, Damien Duff.

"It's the best signing the club has had for a long time, even including Michael Owen because of the price we paid for him. He's settled in already, the lads love him, he's just going to be excellent for us. He asked my opinion and I gave him an honest one on the whole thing. I told him we still needed a few new players, but hopefully seeing the likes of Duffer joining us will trigger more players coming in."

And what of young O'Brien?

"This year is the first time I've really trained with him. He's got blistering pace, absolutely ridiculous pace. He's still learning the game but once he gets the right coaching and with the likes of Duffer there helping him, seeing how Duffer plays his game, he could be an unbelievable player. He just has to get his head down and work on it."

The emergence of O'Brien, along with "the likes of Stephen Ireland and Joey O'Brien", has renewed the 29-year-old's optimism in the squad's ability to qualify for the next European Championship - and since he missed the 2002 World Cup through injury it would be his first major championship.

"Time isn't on my side. I'll be 32 when the European Championship comes around, 34 for the next World Cup, so this is probably my best chance. I've been in the squad for so long without ever getting to a championship . . . it's quite gutting, but things happen for a reason, if it's meant to be it will happen. If it's not meant to happen at least I'll have given it a shot."

© The Irish Times

RogerMilla
15/08/2006, 11:25 AM
well stephen let's hope you do give it a shot this time...

NY Hoop
15/08/2006, 11:54 AM
What was your motivation for retiring in the first place?

"I don't want to answer that, to be honest," he said.

Why wouldnt he answer that?

KOH

NeilMcD
15/08/2006, 12:05 PM
Maybe he did not want to get into it and disuss the management of Kerr etc. I think there is nothing wrong with keeping your counsel on such issues.

wws
15/08/2006, 12:07 PM
everyone in the eircom league is better than carr

FACT

RogerMilla
15/08/2006, 12:13 PM
in fairness , it speaks of loyalty to the team , good fro him for keeping his mouth shut , hopefully we will read his reasons in his book after he retires as european champion in 2008...

Billsthoughts
15/08/2006, 12:55 PM
Not going on record and in the very next answer inferring something to be the case just goes to show what anyone who has seen him play in the last 4 years already knows. he has no balls.

BaZmO*
15/08/2006, 12:56 PM
hopefully we will read his reasons in his book after he retires as european champion in 2008...
His reasons are quite obvious. He didn't like Kerr, or at least he didn't like the setup under Kerr.

Billsthoughts
15/08/2006, 12:57 PM
everyone in the eircom league is better than carr

FACT

I think if anyone in the eircom league was better than anyone in the Irish team they would be playing in a proper league.
FACT

RogerMilla
15/08/2006, 1:05 PM
oh bill bill bill, get that tin hat on....

Billsthoughts
15/08/2006, 1:12 PM
Tin hat??????
Ned Kelly????
such is life.....

wws
15/08/2006, 1:15 PM
Tin hat??????
Ned Kelly????
such is life.....

attack the post not the poster

TonyD
15/08/2006, 1:25 PM
I think if anyone in the eircom league was better than anyone in the Irish team they would be playing in a proper league.
FACT

Oh, ,sweet jesus. :rolleyes: There's another one loose. Why in the name of Christ people want to constantly run down our league with such snide remarks I'll never know. Is there another country in the world where this happens ?

Billsthoughts
15/08/2006, 1:27 PM
That doesnt even make any sense!
Can you back up your Eircom League post with actual facts like opta stats or something?

Jerry The Saint
15/08/2006, 1:33 PM
Can you back up your Eircom League post with actual facts like opta stats or something?

With the results so far this season the opta stats Co-efficient for the eircom League is through the roof! Check it out here - http://www.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method3/ccoef2007/OPTA_STATS.html (http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/ccoef2007/OPTA_STATS.html). With a bit of luck and a handy draw we might make double figures by 2009 - Go Team Eircom!

Metrostars
15/08/2006, 1:43 PM
Jeez, Mick Byrne must be some bloke. All we've heard since Stan has come back what a great character Mick is.

Mick Byrne - The glue of the Irish team.

Fergie's Son
15/08/2006, 3:07 PM
oh bill bill bill, get that tin hat on....

Do we have to do this again?

Saying who is better than whom is a subjective discussion. So, we need to find an objective criteria. What would such criteria be?

How about, $$$$

That is, money tends to dictate the quality of a player. Put another way, if someone is willing to pay you more than another player it generally indicates that you are better than the other player. Whilst there are exceptions, this is the general rule and it's proven by the fact that certain leagues do better than other leagues (e.g. The Premiership versus the Greek league etc.).

So, looking at our objective criteria, Carr is most likely better than anyone in the LOI.

Fact.

Carry on.

Irish_Praha
15/08/2006, 6:31 PM
Do we have to do this again?

Saying who is better than whom is a subjective discussion. So, we need to find an objective criteria. What would such criteria be?

How about, $$$$

That is, money tends to dictate the quality of a player. Put another way, if someone is willing to pay you more than another player it generally indicates that you are better than the other player. Whilst there are exceptions, this is the general rule and it's proven by the fact that certain leagues do better than other leagues (e.g. The Premiership versus the Greek league etc.).

So, looking at our objective criteria, Carr is most likely better than anyone in the LOI.

Fact.

Carry on.

Like any rule there are exceptions - Beckham for example

Fergie's Son
15/08/2006, 8:14 PM

Sure he's just the exception that proves the rule :D

NY Hoop
16/08/2006, 11:14 AM
FACT

Proper league? Well seeing that Irish sides have knocked out clubs from Lithuania, Cyprus, Scotland, Finland and Sweden where does that leave them?

Hint when on internet forums: when you dont know what you're talking about dont say anything.

KOH

Billsthoughts
16/08/2006, 11:28 AM
Hint when on internet forums: when you dont know what you're talking about dont say anything.

KOH

Hint - these results were acheived by Premier division sides.....not first division sides like your own.....:D :D when kildare county or cobh ramblers start settin europe alight you can start claiming some reflected glory;)

***was only kiddin with the "proper league" thing btw.

gustavo
16/08/2006, 12:26 PM

The same Beckham who was probably the 2nd best player (behind Casillas) in the 2nd best team in the best league in the world last season?

eirebhoy
16/08/2006, 1:00 PM
So in a nutshell . . . in the world according to our hero Carr . . . Ireland didn't qualify for the last World Cup because we didn't have Mick Byrne and Tony the Security Man??
Holy Jaysus. I always thought you were a muppet Carr, but now you've just proven it.
And I for one think it's a shame you've come back because we've young lads coming through who have pace and can tackle . . . and they are proud to wear the shirt.
People who need to be convinced to play for Ireland can go f themselves as far as I'm concerned.
You can't be serious TP? I know you dislike Carr but that post is ridiculous.

"I missed it, to be honest. I missed the buzz of the lads, the team spirit. I missed playing international football. I didn't think I would. I thought I'd enjoy having my break, having a few days off, but I found I didn't. I had no interest in having a few days off. I was bored.

"I thought it would help me injury-wise, help me long term in my career by not playing the extra games, but then I realised that one day that would be taken away from me whether I'd like it or not. I'll be a long time retired so I'm happy I've made this decision.

"I didn't need much persuading because I'd started thinking about it anyway. Then I spoke to Stan, spoke to Bobby once or twice and I liked what they had to say about how things will progress with the team and what they're going to do. But I was already half thinking about it; what they had to say just sealed it.

"The spirit wasn't too bad before, although I've seen a lot written about it. But it wasn't too bad, it's just about familiarity. The lads were used to the set-up with Mick (Byrne) and Tony (Hickey, the squad's security officer), the same people we'd had for so long. The lads missed them, people they probably found they could really trust and have a good relationship with. That was probably unfortunate on the new people coming in, who were taking their place, but it's great to have them back because they're really good people and the lads love them.

"But they not being there had nothing to do with us not qualifying last time. The bottom line was we weren't good enough . . . We had opportunities to win the group, we didn't take them.

"As a team and as individuals we just had to look at ourselves and say we didn't perform. It doesn't matter who's on the sideline, what manager you have, what security man you have, we should have won those games against Israel - we didn't and it cost us in the end.

"Time isn't on my side. I'll be 32 when the European Championship comes around, 34 for the next World Cup, so this is probably my best chance. I've been in the squad for so long without ever getting to a championship . . . it's quite gutting, but things happen for a reason, if it's meant to be it will happen. If it's not meant to happen at least I'll have given it a shot."

-----

You have to realise that this is a press conference. Carr was asked about the spirit and how it has changed with Mick and Tony back in the camp. I'm still suprised at your post as not even the biggest rags would twist quotes that much. ;)

NY Hoop
16/08/2006, 1:28 PM
Hint - these results were acheived by Premier division sides.....not first division sides like your own.....:D :D when kildare county or cobh ramblers start settin europe alight you can start claiming some reflected glory;)

***was only kiddin with the "proper league" thing btw.

Obviously the teams in the top league represent their league in Europe unless a first division side wins the Cup.

3 years ago we eliminated a Polish side in Europe.

KOH

NeilMcD
16/08/2006, 1:45 PM
So in a nutshell . . . in the world according to our hero Carr . . . Ireland didn't qualify for the last World Cup because we didn't have Mick Byrne and Tony the Security Man??
Holy Jaysus. I always thought you were a muppet Carr, but now you've just proven it.
And I for one think it's a shame you've come back because we've young lads coming through who have pace and can tackle . . . and they are proud to wear the shirt.
People who need to be convinced to play for Ireland can go f themselves as far as I'm concerned.

This post is simplyl laughable. I have never seen anybody mis read or twist a quote in all of my life. I hope its the former and not the latter.

paul_oshea
16/08/2006, 2:47 PM
Lithuania, Cyprus, Scotland, Finland and Sweden

apart from the top team in scotland, what players play in the irish team from those countries?

wait till EL teams are knocking out top teams from these countries:
france, italy, spain, germany and england

and if these players are been left out before someone in the lower places of the premiership/first division then we can start to have this argument.

I love to see eircom league teams do well in europe, I like to see their players in the irish squad, but when they have played they havent been as good/better than anyone else already in the team....

Also answer me this, why is it that EL teams arent expecting their teams ( the top teams ) to be making the CL group stages/uefa group stages or beating teams like steau/red star but yet expect their players to be playing on the irish team. please please please answer me that.

he said, we werent good enough simple as that, no other reason. where did you get this from???!?!?!

gustavo
16/08/2006, 2:49 PM
I dont recall any posts here of anyone suggesting that an EL player should be in the team

paul_oshea
16/08/2006, 3:13 PM
not here gustavo, but if you read the EL forum there was one....plus wwsfgh said that any el player is better than carr, thus suggesting same.

Billsthoughts
16/08/2006, 3:57 PM
3 years ago we eliminated a Polish side in Europe.

3 years ago seems a long way away now.....

paul o shea I think the point he is making is that its as good as any league of comparable size and population. nothing to do with players on ireland squad.
and I dunno if sayin that players that came in didnt look up to it. sure john o shea plays for man u and he doesnt look up to it!

wws
16/08/2006, 4:12 PM
wait till EL teams are knocking out top teams from these countries:
france, italy, spain, germany and england
and if these players are been left out before someone in the lower places of the premiership/first division then we can start to have this argument.

and when the irish players picked from the UK are capable of beating Israel, Switzerland, etc etc

the Irish team is crap

therefore i see no reason not to experiment and just have a laugh with it all basically

its not as if we'll ever win anything

Billsthoughts
16/08/2006, 4:18 PM
Like Celebrity Eurastar?
It could raise a few bob for charity.
Isnt that how Staunton got the job in the first place?

Don Vito
16/08/2006, 4:21 PM
Also answer me this, why is it that EL teams arent expecting their teams ( the top teams ) to be making the CL group stages/uefa group stages or beating teams like steau/red star but yet expect their players to be playing on the irish team. please please please answer me that.

Superb question Paul.

Jerry The Saint
16/08/2006, 4:49 PM
Superb question Paul.

Ooooh yeah, good one Paul. Let's have a prize for the best answer!

gustavo
16/08/2006, 5:06 PM
not here gustavo, but if you read the EL forum there was one....plus wwsfgh said that any el player is better than carr, thus suggesting same.

So really its just based on one comment in the EL section , I cant think of any poster here who would have said that any EL player should be in the first team .

4tothefloor
16/08/2006, 11:52 PM
Well Carr played tonight and gave yet another shambolic, careless, uninterested and passionless performance. Finnan is three times the player Carr is and we're playing him out of position to accomodate this gobsh!te. I'd prefer if Carr fcuked off back to Newcastle and let Finnan, Stephen Kelly and Joey O'Brien get on with representing Ireland at right-full with passion and interest. Complete waste of space and has been now for years

eirebhoy
17/08/2006, 11:31 AM
I stand by that post. Carr may have said other stuff, yes, but why even bring up Mick Byrne and Tony the Security Man.
Could you imagine an interview with say an Italian defender or a French defender . . . commenting on their return from international retirement and them mentioning backroom staff of that calibre?
I think not. Think what you want, Carr was/is/and will be a muppet.
As I have already said, this was a press conference. Carr was asked about Mick and Tony. He didn't just decide to bring them up and Carr is the type of person that couldn't care less that Mick Byrne is back. I can't believe you still stand by your post.

paul_oshea
17/08/2006, 2:30 PM
So really its just based on one comment in the EL section , I cant think of any poster here who would have said that any EL player should be in the first team .

No it wasnt one comment it was a whole thread.....something like no EL players in holland squad or something along the lines. then the usual bitch and moan......followed a short time later by about 60-70% saying it would be a great acheievement for derry to beat the super-power that is gretna, and about 20% saying cork would be capable of beating red star ( actually this was prolly before the squad was announced ).......

NY Hoop
18/08/2006, 11:34 AM
No it wasnt one comment it was a whole thread.....something like no EL players in holland squad or something along the lines. then the usual bitch and moan......followed a short time later by about 60-70% saying it would be a great acheievement for derry to beat the super-power that is gretna, and about 20% saying cork would be capable of beating red star ( actually this was prolly before the squad was announced ).......

How about supporting your own league instead of knocking it? IMO Jason Byrne could have done as good a job as Elliott the other night.

KOH

paul_oshea
21/08/2006, 1:56 PM
How about supporting your own league instead of knocking it? IMO Jason Byrne could have done as good a job as Elliott the other night.

I never knocked it, I love to see EL teams doing well in europe as i already said, but I am a realist. Jason byrne didnt do anything special against chile, he is 27 now, if he hasnt done anything by that age, isnt it better to go with youth i.e. stephen elliot or kevin doyle?