PDA

View Full Version : United Park?

Pages : [1] 2

The Stars
14/08/2006, 10:21 AM
Is this place going to be done up or are Drogheda building a new stadium.
Thought there would be seating under where the camera is but know better now.
This is not a dig at Drogheda or anything btw.

It looks class though when you see all the Drogs fans signing and clapping together,as the are all bunch together,nearly filling the stand.

Dodge
14/08/2006, 10:25 AM
Building a new stadium apparently. I like United Park but there's no doubting its run down.

Drogman.
14/08/2006, 10:31 AM
Is this place going to be done up or are Drogheda building a new stadium.
Thought there would be seating under where the camera is but know better now.
This is not a dig at Drogheda or anything btw.

It looks class though when you see all the Drogs fans signing and clapping together,as the are all bunch together,nearly filling the stand.

New stadium being built on the edge of the town. Still waiting for planning permission as far as I know and once that has been granted then a UK company, SFI, are going to build the stadium in about 9 months or so.

Utd Park is great for an atmosphere when full, but is run down, no doubt about it. Its a sh*thole but its our sh*thole :D

Raheny Red
14/08/2006, 11:14 AM
Best away section in the country!

BohsFans
14/08/2006, 1:48 PM
then a UK company, SFI, are going to build the stadium in about 9 months or so.

A Bray job?

Buller
14/08/2006, 2:24 PM
A Bray job?

Not quite!!! ;) (see picture below) 10,000 All-Seater All-Covered...

BohsFans
14/08/2006, 2:25 PM
Does the away manager still get his own personnal security guard or was that just for the spoofer?

gustavo
14/08/2006, 2:27 PM
Bohs Fan the site in your sig has been closed down!

BohsFans
14/08/2006, 2:41 PM
Bohs Fan the site in your sig has been closed down!

:D Must have got too abusive!;)

He's dead to me anyway!

Peadar
14/08/2006, 2:44 PM
Best away section in the country!

Are you having a laugh?
drogland park is the biggest kip in the league!
The away section is crumbling concrete, with creaking steel overhead. Blind, armless school girls would have done a better job on the steps!
The view is brutal and they try to keep you in there 15 minutes longer than the natives.

Bohs, Pats, Shels, Longford, UCD, Derry and Waterford have all got better conditions for away supporters.

Raheny Red
14/08/2006, 2:56 PM
Nope, the terracing does it for me;) :cool:

Celdrog
14/08/2006, 3:00 PM
Are you having a laugh?
The away section is crumbling concrete, with creaking steel overhead. Blind, armless school girls would have done a better job on the steps!
The view is brutal and they try to keep you in there 15 minutes longer than the natives.

Bohs, Pats, Shels, Longford, UCD, Derry and Waterford have all got better conditions for away supporters.

Wow - we have a new record. 12 posts before a langer comes on abusing the Drogs (and disagreeing with the rest of the League).

United Park ain't great - its got a good atmosphere, but hey its ours as our new stadium will be.:)

Thank God TG4 are showing the Drogs v Cork match. This coupled with the fact that they cannot abide our ground (or town) means less of the children venturing out of Cork.

Cork City's ground on the other hand is, well......... non-existent, and they give out about ours.:rolleyes:

gufct
14/08/2006, 3:07 PM
from bailing Drogheda out a long time ago and didnt they pay some consultants €48,000 to tell them this lately?

The Stars
14/08/2006, 3:33 PM
Dont know about best away section in the League but it does have that old charm to it,as in standing terrace.
Whats with all the Lazio stuff wrote on the back of the stand though?

Drogman.
14/08/2006, 3:48 PM
Are you having a laugh?

Each to their own I suppose but for a real football atmosphere when packed then you can't beat it. The away section is in a perfect place so that both home fans and away fans can have a good go at each other (Chanting). You can't do that in Turners Cross, or Flancare park or the RSC.

The FAI own the ground, but we have the option of buying off them for something like E20K, on the condition that we sell the ground and use the money to pump into the new stadium.

mypost
14/08/2006, 4:25 PM

Derry is probably the best of that lot. Galway have the best conditions in the 1st Division. Longford is nice too...until the rain comes down.

Peadar
14/08/2006, 4:27 PM
(and disagreeing with the rest of the League).

Yes, the whole league! :rolleyes:

...means less of the children venturing out of Cork.

Does that mean that your "element" will have no one to attack?
Perhaps they'll go back to their traditional ritual or throwing stones from a safe distance.

TG4 are to only ones crazy enough to try and televise a live evening game from your hovel! When was the last time anyone managed that!

ColinR
14/08/2006, 4:35 PM
Perhaps they'll go back to their traditional ritual or throwing stones from a safe distance.

the biggest cork wum thats allowed on foot.ie

its funny paeder that you always seem to bring this up, but any thread that has mentioned the cork fans attacking other fans/players with missiles you always disappear from the thread. :rolleyes:

hopefully our element will not attack the cork fans, and hopefully the cork fans will follow the instructions, which hopefully our club will make clearer to them to ensure their safety.

Cosmo
14/08/2006, 4:42 PM

What? You mean like Corks 'element' throwing bricks and stones at rovers supporters in turners cross - or corks 'element' throwing glass bottles at opposing players or spitting at opposing players - take your pick I suppose :rolleyes:

Back to the original post - no plans to do up united park. New ground will be built on the meath side of town (original site for it has been moved unfortunately - but to be honest once we get our new stadium Im not really bothered where it'll be). Fingers crossed it'll be wrapped up soon!

As for united park - a proper old style terraced football ground! In an age of flashy seats, etc creeping in it's great to go up to proper old style terraced ground. Sh!t facilties but theres no doubt away proper or 'old styled' football supporters appreciate it. Any time we play a team from england or scotland they always comment on it and how they miss it when they could see their teams play in sh!tty old styled terraced football grounds! (ffs I even know a bolton supporter who refused to watch them in teh reebox :eek: )

So as said above its a kip, but it's our kip :)

Peadar
14/08/2006, 5:02 PM
What? You mean like Corks 'element' throwing bricks and stones at rovers supporters in turners cross - or corks 'element' throwing glass bottles at opposing players or spitting at opposing players - take your pick I suppose :rolleyes:

Were you at Rovers games in TX?
Fair play to you. What season was that then?
I was in your kip a few months ago and watched your punks attack young City fans. I've also been pelted with stones there.

People blow on about terraces because it makes them think they sound like "proper" fans. Big difference between seating in Britain and seating in Ireland is that they make you sit down in Britain. I don't know a ground in Ireland where they make you sit down in the away supporters seating section. Not much different to a terrace then.

For a laugh, why don't you take a picture of the steps in your away section and post it up here. Go on, it's worth seeing.

ndrog
14/08/2006, 5:23 PM
lets go over all this stuff again shall we .How about the ********s that started a row with us outside turners cross at our last away game ! How about the total ballbag locals that werent even at the game who wanted a fight in the pub afterwards , just because they heard we were from Drogheda and have beaten you in 2 cup finals they wanted to kill us .These people are in all towns even the great metropolis that is langerville .

Raheny Red
14/08/2006, 5:30 PM
What did you pair do to the Bohs and Rovers lads?!:confused: :p

nshoop
15/08/2006, 12:09 AM
Were you at Rovers games in TX?

Doesn't matter,he has it spot on and can a drog tell me if there will be a train service or bus out to the new ground,just wondering

Sam Savic
15/08/2006, 12:23 AM
I think Cobh is great for away fans. The ground can cater nicely for a few hundred behind the goal in a covered stand. Great for acoustics. Decent toilet facilities and a burger van laid on also.

nshoop
15/08/2006, 12:24 AM
Yeah cobh is good alright

Raheny Red
15/08/2006, 12:29 AM
Doesn't matter,he has it spot on and can a drog tell me if there will be a train service or bus out to the new ground,just wondering

The train station is perfect for the time being except when the last train back to Dubland is 22:05 :eek: - that's not easy when you're half pished either :o :p

nshoop
15/08/2006, 12:34 AM
The train station is perfect for the time being except when the last train back to Dubland is 22:05 :eek: - that's not easy when you're half pished either :o :p

Easier to get the supporters bus as usual I'd say,into drogheda town centre for few drinks,bus out to new stadium and then straight back to the capital

kdjaC
15/08/2006, 12:39 AM
The new Drogs stadium is a superb deal afaik its €6000-9000 a seat so costs 6-9 million, the stadium is prefabricated and made in Holland or somewhere by Noyeks (they make the actual bits and pieces for SFI)

What you get is an under 30k stadium for 6-9k a seat 2 scoreboards fully ceated covered floodlit credit card style turnstiles (there are more but cant recall the rest). SFI cant do more than 30k seaters as it stops being cost effective

Its shipped over and erected in a short time thus making it very cost effective for the builder, this crowd Noyeks just built the new Days hotel in ParkWest and anyone who seen may have wondered why they were dropping portacabin after portcabin on top of each other and now its a perfect hotel. All for under 2 million.

SFI build these things all over ASIA for cricket and what not and some of them are fantastic with under a year build time.....

kdjac

nshoop
15/08/2006, 12:48 AM
Sounds good as long as it's sturdy and can last the weather,I don't like the shipped over part

Raheny Red
15/08/2006, 12:53 AM
Easier to get the supporters bus as usual I'd say,into drogheda town centre for few drinks,bus out to new stadium and then straight back to the capital

Nah, nothing worse than sitting on a bus dying for a pish :eek:

nshoop
15/08/2006, 12:55 AM
Thats why God invented pis stops

Eoingull
15/08/2006, 1:12 AM
Speaking of good grounds for away supporters, I was very impressed with Limerick when they were at Pike Rovers ground, and they gave us all FREE tea and biscuits at half-time! I don't know if that qualifies it as a "good ground" though...

rerun
15/08/2006, 7:09 AM
Where is Droghedas new ground going to be located? I heard that there was a change of plan and it will be on the south side of the town?

BohsPartisan
15/08/2006, 8:27 AM
Yeah its going to be near the Europa Hotel which you would pass on the way into the town from Dublin on the old N1. Probably a 20-30 minute walk to the train station.

Drogman.
15/08/2006, 11:44 AM

I'm hoping that they'll run some sort of shuttle bus service from the town centre or some company will as I think people will miss the pre-match pints and then walk to the ground.

rerun
15/08/2006, 12:18 PM
Yeah its going to be near the Europa Hotel which you would pass on the way into the town from Dublin on the old N1. Probably a 20-30 minute walk to the train station.

That seems like a great move to me. Being south of Drogheda means you don't have to travel through the town (handy for Stamullen folk :) ). Might even attract more of a crowd from the Balbriggan-Stamullen-Julianstown area?

How does that sit with the current fans, I assume United Park is walking distance for most at the moment.

bad mongo
15/08/2006, 12:44 PM

Does that mean it's gonna be in Co. Meath? is the whole sports campus idea shelved?

Drogman.
15/08/2006, 1:56 PM
That seems like a great move to me. Being south of Drogheda means you don't have to travel through the town (handy for Stamullen folk :) ). Might even attract more of a crowd from the Balbriggan-Stamullen-Julianstown area?

How does that sit with the current fans, I assume United Park is walking distance for most at the moment.

Everyone is fairly happy with it. Not much space near the town to play with. Anyway all that we care about is getting a new fancy ground and hopefully we can fill it and become successfull.

ndrog
15/08/2006, 4:23 PM
its a pain in the arse being in meath .Drogheda is a county louth club and should have its stadium based in our home county .Louth county council who just happen to be based in Dundalk have fcuked up the planning permission for the original location , forcing DUFC to look in to alternative sights for the stadium .Louth council made it as difficult as possible by all accounts .The mind boggles :eek:

sligoman
15/08/2006, 4:28 PM
Are you saying Drogheda's new stadium will be in Meath?:confused: :eek:.

diamond
15/08/2006, 7:31 PM
take that back. everyone is NOT fairly happy with the big move. i think it is a disgrace that every sport facility in drogheda has been moved out of the town. you cant go to or participate in sport in drogheda now without a car. the move is taking drogheda united fc out of co.louth. i grew up and still live beside the ground and will be disgusted when it becomes a block of flats to fill some fat cats pockets. i love seeing united park on my walk to work everyday. growing up it gave me a real sense of identity being a drog, in drogheda co. louth.
if anyone believes in the build it and they will come crap they are very foolish. we will be going from a great atmosphere with 2000 fans (on a good day) to an empty stadium with 10000 seats and 2000 bums (if we're lucky).
i reckon 85% of drogs fans walk to games now. how many can do that in the new stadium??

sligoman
15/08/2006, 7:35 PM
So Drogheda will no longer be a Louth club anymore. Well at least ye can call yerselves the most successful club in Meath when ye move:D.

holidaysong
15/08/2006, 7:44 PM
So Drogheda will no longer be a Louth club anymore. Well at least ye can call yerselves the most successful club in Meath when ye move

Hehehe! :D

And we will be the best team in Louth again... :eek: :o

iceman
15/08/2006, 8:22 PM
And we will be the best team in Louth again... :eek: :o

Yeah , by default , about the only way you could call yourselves the best team in Louth!

Drogheda United - Pride of the North -East!!

holidaysong
15/08/2006, 8:46 PM
Yeah , by default ...

I think that was implied by the ":o" in my post...

Drogheda United - Pride of the North -East!!

It will be more like "Drogheda United - Pride of Co. Meath!!" when your new snazzy ground is built.

When you win 9 league titles we can argue some more. :)

holidaysong
15/08/2006, 8:51 PM
I was actually born about 300 metres away from United Park! :eek:

Oh the shame... :o

iceman
15/08/2006, 10:17 PM
The actual site is just a few metres from the Drogheda Town Boundary , and no doubt this will be extended into Co Meath in the very near future , there are dozens of new housing developments (all being sold as in Drogheda) in the vicinity surrounding the site , and Its only a ten minute walk from the centre of town and right beside a motorway exit. Ideal location.

iceman
15/08/2006, 10:20 PM
When you win 9 league titles we can argue some more. :)

Still living in history I see. Ah well , its about all that Dundalk have going for them for the past few years :D:D

CollegeTillIDie
15/08/2006, 10:28 PM
Louth county council who just happen to be based in Dundalk have fcuked up the planning permission for the original location , forcing DUFC to look in to alternative sights for the stadium .Louth council made it as difficult as possible by all accounts .The mind boggles :eek:

Ah the Louth County Council Officials are probably all Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa fans! Here's an example of what I mean.
I was working in Dundalk, temporarily in 1995, and some of the locals were moaning that they never win anything at sport. At the time Dundalk were Premier Division Champions and Drogheda United has just been promoted back to the top flight. I pointed this out. But apparently Soccer didn't count at all to these people in Dundalk.

Better off elsewhere me thinks. Good luck with the new stadium, cause the present one doesn't even have minimum seating required to be in the Premier Division, never mind Europe. But it was a nice little ground when it was built in fairness.

Snoop Drog
15/08/2006, 10:41 PM
take that back. everyone is NOT fairly happy with the big move. i think it is a disgrace that every sport facility in drogheda has been moved out of the town. you cant go to or participate in sport in drogheda now without a car. the move is taking drogheda united fc out of co.louth. i grew up and still live beside the ground and will be disgusted when it becomes a block of flats to fill some fat cats pockets. i love seeing united park on my walk to work everyday. growing up it gave me a real sense of identity being a drog, in drogheda co. louth.
if anyone believes in the build it and they will come crap they are very foolish. we will be going from a great atmosphere with 2000 fans (on a good day) to an empty stadium with 10000 seats and 2000 bums (if we're lucky).
i reckon 85% of drogs fans walk to games now. how many can do that in the new stadium??

Without any space to redevelop United Park, the club really has little option but to move. Wheter or not the ground is in Louth or, technically, in Meath is hardly an issue. It's not far out of town at all and I reckon the vast majority of fans are excited about the proposed move.