PDA

View Full Version : When is First Div Promotion going to be sorted

The Rebel Ram
13/08/2006, 10:03 AM
Whats the story with the Promotion farce in the first Div?
Is the season going to be over and the title won before the decision not to promote comes up?
It needs to be sorted!:mad:

pete
13/08/2006, 10:25 AM
There is no promotion. The eL as it stand now will be disbanded & 12 cluibs invited to the new Premier division based on the criteria already published. Simple as that.

DmanDmythDledge
13/08/2006, 1:05 PM
Technically the winners will get promoted and maybe second place if they win the playoff macth, then it will be disbanded and invites sent to teams.

Mr A
13/08/2006, 1:12 PM
OK, there's no promotion as such, but why haven't the FAI made it clear how the league rankings will work in light of Dublin City's demise? Will the 2nd last PD team still play the 2nd D1 team or will second in the first simply be ranked ahead of the last PD team? Will the playoff be between the second and third in the first instead of the previous arrangement? This is all fundamental stuff, and it's a joke that none of it has been clarified.

At times it's almost as if the FAI are deliberatley keeping the criteria for next year's premier as vague as possible. I can only guess they would do this because they have already identified the teams they want in the premier, and they'll tweak the questions to achieve this answer.

DmanDmythDledge
13/08/2006, 1:16 PM
OK, there's no promotion as such, but why haven't the FAI made it clear how the league rankings will work in light of Dublin City's demise? Will the 2nd last PD team still play the 2nd D1 team or will second in the first simply be ranked ahead of the last PD team? Will the playoff be between the second and third in the first instead of the previous arrangement? This is all fundamental stuff, and it's a joke that none of it has been clarified.At times it's almost as if the FAI are deliberatley keeping the criteria for next year's premier as vague as possible. I can only guess they would do this because they have already identified the teams they want in the premier, and they'll tweak the questions to achieve this answer.
The Premier is made up of 12 teams, so with one already gone it looks like Waterford will be in the playoff game because if that is not the case the top 2teams in the First Division will be allocated promotion places and the third place team the playoff. However as there is no precendence to this, the FAI can effectively do what they want as you said.

holidaysong
13/08/2006, 1:20 PM
I'm sure the team that wins the First Division will be invited to join the ''Premiership'' next season. I would like to think we are actually playing for something this season.

DmanDmythDledge
13/08/2006, 1:23 PM
The team that wins the First will be Rovers or Galway and with the setup at those clubs they would be strong candidates to be in the Premier next year, even if they didn't win the league.

nshoop
13/08/2006, 1:24 PM
I couldn't see the fai leaving us out,we're too big an attraction

holidaysong
13/08/2006, 1:30 PM
The team that wins the First will be Rovers or Galway ...

Can I have the lend of your crystal ball when your done with it? :rolleyes:
How the hell can you dismiss us given our recent form?

DmanDmythDledge
13/08/2006, 1:38 PM
Can I have the lend of your crystal ball when your done with it? :rolleyes:
How the hell can you dismiss us given our recent form?
OK I was aware of your recent good form but hadn't looked at the table and you are definitely in with a shout. Cobh can hardly be ruled out either. I fancied Dundalk to win the First at the start of the season but I would still have them as third favourites now.

sligoman
13/08/2006, 3:07 PM
we're too big an attractionToo over-rated and up yer own arse more like:rolleyes:.

RonnieB
13/08/2006, 3:18 PM
An attraction almost up there with Fossets Circus :)

Lim till i die
13/08/2006, 7:18 PM
And they can't leave us out because we're the leagues fourth city :p

This could be (And I'm sure has been in the past on here) flogged to death.

It's absolutely pointless trying to second guess what the clowns in Merrion Square will do, only guarentee is that it will be ludicrous :ball:

Stato
13/08/2006, 7:36 PM
There are no playoffs, no promotion or relegation at the end of this season.

The new FAI Premiership is going to be made up of 12 teams who qualify on the basis of different criteria. Each of the 21 clubs will be given a score in each criteria.

The first criteria is already decided, that's form (league, cups and Europe) over the last four seasons. I think the top eight teams are (in no particular order) Shels, Longford, Cork, Derry, Bohs, Pats, Rovers, Drogheda. I can't remember the next few places but I know that Athlone ranked last. The points for this criteria make up 30% of the total score.

The next criteria is form this season (league, cups and Europe) and makes up 20% of the total. On league form the teams will be ranked 1 to 10 from the Premier, then 1 and 2 from the First, then 11 from the Premier then 3 to 10 from the First. So a top two finish in the First will get you ahead of the last placed team in the Premier. Then cup and European form will also be taken into account.

The remaining 50% of the marks is based on non-sporting criteria such as Licensing and marketability. Your average crowds will be taken into account for example.

There you are, clear as mud!

Mr A
13/08/2006, 8:08 PM
There was definately due to be a playoff between the snd last in the PD and 2nd in D1 to decide the 12th and 13th spot in the league rankings.

Has this playoff definately been scrapped now that Dublin are gone? This is the essential question here, as most people are aware of the procedure as the FAI have outlined it apart from that.

Schwalker
13/08/2006, 8:14 PM
There are no playoffs, no promotion or relegation at the end of this season.

The new FAI Premiership is going to be made up of 12 teams who qualify on the basis of different criteria. Each of the 21 clubs will be given a score in each criteria.

The first criteria is already decided, that's form (league, cups and Europe) over the last four seasons. I think the top eight teams are (in no particular order) Shels, Longford, Cork, Derry, Bohs, Pats, Rovers, Drogheda. I can't remember the next few places but I know that Athlone ranked last. The points for this criteria make up 30% of the total score.

The next criteria is form this season (league, cups and Europe) and makes up 20% of the total. On league form the teams will be ranked 1 to 10 from the Premier, then 1 and 2 from the First, then 11 from the Premier then 3 to 10 from the First. So a top two finish in the First will get you ahead of the last placed team in the Premier. Then cup and European form will also be taken into account.

The remaining 50% of the marks is based on non-sporting criteria such as Licensing and marketability. Your average crowds will be taken into account for example.

There you are, clear as mud!

Sounds almost like an American system..?

Paddyfield
13/08/2006, 9:17 PM
And they can't leave us out because we're the leagues fourth city

Surely you mean Limerick is the League's FIFTH city? Derry City are in this league too! The last two Cencus Reports from the CSO have confirmed that Galway is a larger city than Limetick.

Dublin
Cork
Derry
Galway
Limerick

sonofstan
13/08/2006, 9:29 PM
Surely you mean Limerick is the League's FIFTH city? Derry City are in this league too! The last two Cencus Reports from the CSO have confirmed that Galway is a larger city than Limetick.

Dublin
Cork
Derry
Galway
Limerick

Only, I think, because the Limerick's city council area doesn't encompass anything like the whole city, whereas Galway's does... Limerick is still bigger.
(By the same criterion, Dublin's population is under 500,000 if you reckon the city council area alone) as being the city

nshoop
13/08/2006, 9:51 PM
Too over-rated and up yer own arse more like:rolleyes:.

You must be thinking of bohs

Lim till i die
13/08/2006, 11:08 PM
Only, I think, because the Limerick's city council area doesn't encompass anything like the whole city, whereas Galway's does... Limerick is still bigger.
(By the same criterion, Dublin's population is under 500,000 if you reckon the city council area alone) as being the city

Thanks a lot I was just about to leap right down Paddyfield's throat :p

dcfcsteve
14/08/2006, 12:25 AM

You're still smaller than Derry though. In oh-so-many ways........ :D :p

Lim till i die
14/08/2006, 12:42 AM
You're still smaller than Derry though. In oh-so-many ways........ :p

Come on we have to be nearly as big as "Free Derry"?? :p

Ah, I can't stay mad at ye for long, ye employ Stephen O'Flynn :)

monutdfc
14/08/2006, 8:56 AM
It will be very hard for the FAI to 'promote' anyone ahead of the First Division winners. If, say Dundalk won and Rovers were 2nd, I don't think they'd promote Rovers but not Dundalk (and face it, the criteria are woolly enough to allow them promote whomever they like!). My guess is they'll promote the winners regardless and 2nd if they are one of Galway United or Shamrock Rovers.

Mr A
14/08/2006, 10:01 AM
I see no reason whatsoever why the FAI must promote the winners for next season. If, for example, Dundalk win it but fall down on the other criteria then I doubt they'll get up. For the process to have any credibility at all the rules must be followed, preferably as tranparently as possible. The clubs voted this stuff in, so there's no point crying about it now if some clubs get screwed.

As things stand, Rovers look certainties to go up due to their 4 year record (then again their license irregularities and ropiness of ground situation may count against them- who knows?), but Galway probably have to win it due to dire performance in the cups. It's a very complex situation- and we could do with a lot more guidance from Merrion Square on how things are going to pan out. As things stand it's as clear as mud.

Schumi
14/08/2006, 11:41 AM
It will be very hard for the FAI to 'promote' anyone ahead of the First Division winners.

No harder than relegating us ahead of Waterford, Bray, Longford and whoever else finishes behind us.

sadloserkid
14/08/2006, 11:46 AM
1. Shels
2. Cork City
3. Derry City
4. Drogheda United
5. Bohemians
6. St. Patrick's Athletic
7. Sligo Rovers
8. Shamrock Rovers
9. Galway United
10. Longford Town

11-12. 2 from UCD, Waterford United, Bray Wanderers and possibly Dundalk I would imagine. I'll say Bray for the sake of argument and repeat that it would make a debacle of the whole thing if UCD are kicked aside. The fiasco with the ground has cost Limerick any chance they had of going up in my opinion even before we started sliding down the table. Finn Harps could be in or around the cut off point too. I think we can discount Monaghan United, Kilkenny City, Kildare County and Athlone Town to be honest and I say that with no offence intended to any of those clubs. I suspect that the FAI have little use for Cobh in their initial 12 team league either with Cork City already established as the dominant team in that area.

monutdfc
14/08/2006, 12:05 PM
1. Shels
2. Cork City
3. Derry City
4. Drogheda United
5. Bohemians
6. St. Patrick's Athletic
7. Sligo Rovers
8. Shamrock Rovers
9. Galway United
10. Longford Town

11-12. 2 from UCD, Waterford United, Bray Wanderers and possibly Dundalk
pretty much on the ball I'd say but I'd add Cobh, Limerick and Finn Harps to that list on the end if any of them manage to win the First Division.

Mr A
14/08/2006, 12:15 PM
Don't see why Galway are automatically in the top 10. Their 4 year record isn't great and while all appears to be sweetness and light off the field now it's not long since they were in big trouble. I'd say they'll go up if they win D1, and maybe if they're second, but there's no reason to assume they should automatically should be in the top ten as things stand.

passerrby
14/08/2006, 6:09 PM
the decision this season will be easy especally as dublin city have made it easier but it will be a ballbreaker in two years when they only want ten teams in the premiership.then they will have to make some serious decisions

DmanDmythDledge
14/08/2006, 6:12 PM
the decision this season will be easy especally as dublin city have made it easier but it will be a ballbreaker in two years when they only want ten teams in the premiership.then they will have to make some serious decisions
They won't have to make any decisions. 3 go down, 1 goes up.

Paddyfield
16/08/2006, 9:51 PM

The CSO got it wrong so...TWICE. No they didn't and you know it.

I live outside the boundry of Galway City but am still in the urban area of Galway. Wake up and smell the coffee, Limerick is smaller than Galway.

Lim till i die
16/08/2006, 10:37 PM
The CSO got it wrong so...TWICE. No they didn't and you know it.

I live outside the boundry of Galway City but am still in the urban area of Galway. Wake up and smell the coffee, Limerick is smaller than Galway.

Ya, alrite, I'll just go cry myself to sleep now :rolleyes: