PDA

View Full Version : Shels fans at Derry Match

joema
11/08/2006, 10:17 PM
Did anyone else seee the Shels fans at the Deery, Gretna match celebrating Deery's freekick? Fair play to them, legends :D :D :D

Look at video - after Deery's goal - around 40 seconds

EDIT: Forgot link

http://www.rathcoole-vc.com/derry/

Stevo Da Gull
11/08/2006, 11:08 PM
I know two Bray fans who went over as well. Still though I reckon the majority were from Derry and they really did the league and themselves proud.
How many teams would have taken 3000 fans to Fir Park? And I dont think that the lads on Setanta beleived Stephen Kenny when he said that the fans are always that spectacular every week atmosphere wise, win lose or draw.They were a bit stunned!

My media player wont play the vid:(

nshoop
11/08/2006, 11:09 PM
Neither will mine

sfc red
11/08/2006, 11:14 PM
Anto Mc, Endai and a few others.

sonofstan
11/08/2006, 11:14 PM
http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?t=38014&page=2

go to Sheridan's post on this thread - he's got a link to someone who posted it on youtube

joema
11/08/2006, 11:19 PM
Anto Mc, Endai and a few others.

Fair pkay to them

kdjaC
11/08/2006, 11:20 PM
Well done Derry an all that i won a lot of cash on it, but i honestly cant see why people cheer for their rivals.

I was hoping for some injuries but it seems in the EL im not a proper fan unless i support all the El clubs in europe and make barstoolers do **** that i care nothing for :confused:

I dont want these El knockers at my teams games, i dont give a **** what they think about anything really they are dumbasses who support what they see on TV, they dont go to games they are football on tv fans, i go to one teams games always have and always will regardless of where they are either in the X or in Richmond, I bring my kids now as i was brought when i was a kid.

**** the EL clubs in europe tbh only one club i want to win. But nowadays in the EL im wrong for thinking that :confused: Wtf is up with that ?

/unless i have money on it, thank you derry €150 up and cork tonight €30 up.

kdjac

sfc red
11/08/2006, 11:24 PM
After reading that post I am wondering how you are old enough to bet...

Soper
11/08/2006, 11:26 PM
We support each so that next time our teams are in Europe, we have an even better chance of progression, and for the league to improve it's co-efficient in Europe,English or Italian fans etc don't have to because theirs is so strong.A lot of Scottish fans were supporting Gretna, because again, the coefficient.You shouldn't really make such an issue out of it - there's nothing wrong with supporting other Irish teams in Europe at all.

nshoop
11/08/2006, 11:28 PM
Well done Derry an all that i won a lot of cash on it, but i honestly cant see why people cheer for their rivals.

I was hoping for some injuries but it seems in the EL im not a proper fan unless i support all the El clubs in europe and make barstoolers do **** that i care nothing for :confused:

I dont want these El knockers at my teams games, i dont give a **** what they think about anything really they are dumbasses who support what they see on TV, they dont go to games they are football on tv fans, i go to one teams games always have and always will regardless of where they are either in the X or in Richmond, I bring my kids now as i was brought when i was a kid.

**** the EL clubs in europe tbh only one club i want to win. But nowadays in the EL im wrong for thinking that :confused: Wtf is up with that ?

kdjac

What a selfish view:confused:

sligoman
11/08/2006, 11:31 PM
http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?t=38014&page=2Can't make out Shels fans?:confused: :o.

joema
11/08/2006, 11:32 PM

kdjac

Calm down :D

I dont think anyone is accusing you of not being a proper fan for not supporting the teams in Europe - your entitled to your opinion and can support whoever you want

Personally I support all el teams in Europe and a lot of other el fans do too, just because you dont does not make any difference

Btw I agree with a lot of your rant but I think we should try to convert barstoolers - IMO they are not all "dumbasses" they just dont know any better - when they think soccer they think of the English League by default - its hust the way things are/ always have been. Barstoolers simply are not aware of the el IMO - for eg when they look at the papers they see 10 pages of Premiership news and 2 pages on the el.

Ok I've gone a bit off topic here but what Im trying to say is many people support the other teams in Europe as they want the el to improve and they want more fans to come to games - thats why I support thr other el teams anyway. You dont feel that way and thats fair enough

kdjaC
11/08/2006, 11:34 PM

Who are you up for on Sunday night ?

I dont feel the EL has anything to prove to anyone. There are people who go to matches ie football fans and there are people who watch football on tv. If you need that spelled out phonecticaly i can do that.

Why most EL fans feel they have to prove something to the latter i will never know. No matter what you do Shels beating barca 59-0 in the CL final will not get these people to go a live match. These are the people you are all talking to daily.....and today maybe going "GWAN DERRY/EL" why bother? you think they will somehow now go and watch a live match? lol

But anyway good luck on that crusade.

kdjac

joema
11/08/2006, 11:34 PM
Can't make out Shels fans?:confused: :o.

They bare in the white away shirt. I cant do a screen shot - maybe someone else can?

kdjaC
11/08/2006, 11:36 PM
Btw I agree with a lot of your rant but I think we should try to convert barstoolers - IMO they are not all "dumbasses" they just dont know any better -

They know what they have been brought up into.

I was brought up to watch pats, and so have my kids.

Its not hard to underdstand, you support what your brought up to see.

And yes they are dumbasses, Man utd go 29 games unbeaten lose to someone and Man utd fans want fergie sacked...are they bohs fans in the making?

kdjac

kdjaC
11/08/2006, 11:38 PM
What a selfish view:confused:

Wtf?

99.9% of your posts on this website are slagging bohs fans? So you now would support Bohs in Europe.......or in some way in something.

kdjac

joema
11/08/2006, 11:55 PM
They know what they have been brought up into.

I was brought up to watch pats, and so have my kids.

Its not hard to underdstand, you support what your brought up to see.

And yes they are dumbasses, Man utd go 29 games unbeaten lose to someone and Man utd fans want fergie sacked...are they bohs fans in the making?

kdjac

Seriously, what age are you?

Im a Kilkenny City fan and was never brought up to see them - I remember seeing the fixtures and reports of the matches in the local paper and became intersted and started to go with my brother - I was about 11 when I started going.

Before that I was a Man Utd fan but soon I realised that supporting an English team is stupid, simple as that. In your case you have been brought up to watch el football but that is not the case for every el fan is it??

And they are not "dumbasses" - they just dont know any better - I'll give you an extreme example so you can understand - If you were raised in Hitler Youth would yo be a dumbass for believing Hitler was great? No you wouldnt be a dumbass - you just wouldnt know any better

Also, if you hadnt been brought up to support Pats you would be a "dumbass" , yes?????

kdjaC
12/08/2006, 12:07 AM
Seriously, what age are you?

LOL

So the fact that i dont support my EL brethern in their fight against the PL brigade makes people question my age, no offence but honestly do you not think the whole Elitist attitude most El fans have against the PL brigade is a major hindrance to start with.

I mod a another forum where results of games from all over Europe are posted and NEVER once have i ever seen a Man U fan say "Cmon Pool" or even in real life ever, like seriously ever. But once an a fan of an EL club you have to help the brotherhood in the nasty fight vs people who dont go to matches EVER yet they have an opinion on live football that EL fans seem to care about.

LOL indeed someone maybe me is very wrong or someone maybe me very right.

No ****ing way would i ever support any EL club in anything ever, as i feel the EL has nothing to prove to anyone you either watch live games or you watch football on tv. And if you watch it on TV well flcik up one im sure theres a better league on somewhere............

kdjac

joema
12/08/2006, 12:15 AM
LOL

So the fact that i dont support my EL brethern in their fight against the PL brigade makes people question my age, no offence but honestly do you not think the whole Elitist attitude most El fans have against the PL brigade is a major hindrance to start with.kdjac

Thats not why Im questioning your age? If you look at my original post you will see I said you are entitled to your opinion - support who you like ffs!!

I asked you what age you are because of your childish attitude and remarks.

I mod a another forum where results of games from all over Europe are posted and NEVER once have i ever seen a Man U fan say "Cmon Pool" or even in real life ever, like seriously ever. But once an a fan of an EL club you have to help the brotherhood in the nasty fight vs people who dont go to matches EVER yet they have an opinion on live football that EL fans seem to care about.

LOL indeed someone maybe me is very wrong or someone maybe me very right.

No ****ing way would i ever support any EL club in anything ever, as i feel the EL has nothing to prove to anyone you either watch live games or you watch football on tv. And if you watch it on TV well flcik up one im sure theres a better league on somewhere............

kdjac

Fans of English/ other strong leagues have no reaon to support their other teams in Europe - we do, simple as that. Tbh I think your missing the point

Schwalker
12/08/2006, 9:20 AM
But we do actually...I´m a bundesliga fan and I support one of the biggest clubs in Germany. And usually I will support any German team in Europe..Even if cheering Bayern or Dortmund might leave a bad taste :cool:

bohs til i die
12/08/2006, 9:22 AM
Did anyone else seee the Shels fans at the Deery, Gretna match celebrating Deery's freekick? Fair play to them, legends :D :D :D

thats real loser material

OneRedArmy
12/08/2006, 10:11 AM
I was hoping for some injuries What a nice guy you are.....

It will take more than a few injuries to us for your side to get anywhere near us. Try settin your sights on Sligo and UCD.

And I feel like bringing up Zimbrau Chisnau again......

RonnieB
12/08/2006, 10:23 AM
The great EL love in. Next week live from the banks of the river lee a rousing coombyya session.

joema
12/08/2006, 10:36 AM
thats real loser material

You are so cool :rolleyes:

bohs til i die
12/08/2006, 12:41 PM
You are so cool :rolleyes:

I can understand say a Bohs/Shels/Pats/scum fan going to a home leg for one of the other dublin clubs, but to go abroad to cheer on one of your rivals is a joke really.

ccfcgirl
12/08/2006, 1:12 PM
Im sorry I didnt go over to Scotland what a great game and fantastic occasion .When I was in Belgrade a few city fans were going to go over as Milan wasnt to be ,but we never went .....Hopfully Derry get a good next round .

nshoop
12/08/2006, 4:28 PM
Wtf?

99.9% of your posts on this website are slagging bohs fans? So you now would support Bohs in Europe.......or in some way in something.

kdjac

I always support bohs or any other loi club in europe as do most hoops supporters

Slash/ED
12/08/2006, 4:37 PM
I can understand say a Bohs/Shels/Pats/scum fan going to a home leg for one of the other dublin clubs, but to go abroad to cheer on one of your rivals is a joke really.

This isn't the first time it's happened though. Shels have had others support us away in Europe, there's pictures of the away section in Hajduk Split and there's two Bohs jersys at the front. In Spain that same year there was support from all over. I can only assume it's happened with other teams too and now Derry, it wasn't like it was an expencive trip.

Dr.Nightdub
12/08/2006, 5:14 PM
Can I just do an emperor's new clothes thing about the co-efficient here?

I think some people round here are developing a ridiculous fetish about the co-efficient, as if it'll cast some kind of magic spell over European opposition. The co-efficient doesn't help you win ties, that has to be done on the pitch. As a consequence of that, the co-efficient gets better. See? Cause...effect...get it straight in your heads people.

Unless I have it completely árseways, the co-efficient just gives you a preferential draw against unseeded opposition. They still have to be beaten. Then you come up against supposedly stronger opponents. They then have to be taken on in the same way.

If Irish teams are good enough, they'll progress, simple as.

bohs til i die
12/08/2006, 5:23 PM
This isn't the first time it's happened though. Shels have had others support us away in Europe, there's pictures of the away section in Hajduk Split and there's two Bohs jersys at the front.

but those Bohs fans were on holiday in Croatia, and went to the game

Dr.Nightdub
12/08/2006, 5:28 PM
Same happened when we played Gent in Belgium - there were two Bohs fans and one Rovers fan in the stand with us, think they happened to be in the area.

TheOwl
12/08/2006, 7:21 PM
but those Bohs fans were on holiday in Croatia, and went to the game

There were two Bohs fans, wearing their Bohs jerseys proudly, on my plane when I went over to the Deportivo away game, and I went on a day trip.

Fair f*cking play to them is what I say!

BohsFans
12/08/2006, 7:46 PM
Same happened when we played Gent in Belgium - there were two Bohs fans and one Rovers fan in the stand with us, think they happened to be in the area.

Again, the lads happened to be close by as they were interrailing around Europe. Think the hoop might have been with them! :eek:

Speranza
12/08/2006, 9:40 PM
Spotted 4 Shels fans, 2 Bray and a Cork fan in the crowd. Brilliant to see and hope/know they enjoyed the night.

sonofstan
12/08/2006, 9:45 PM
I always support bohs ......in europe as do most hoops supporters

I doubt that, somehow; unlikely to be tested in the near future though

Dr.Nightdub
12/08/2006, 11:02 PM
Think the hoop might have been with them! :eek:

You mean Bohs and Rovers in one space without abusing each other (or worse)? Somebody call the Herald. ;)

nshoop
12/08/2006, 11:18 PM
I doubt that, somehow; unlikely to be tested in the near future though

No it's true.Were you not up for us when we played odra wodislaw or liberec or djurgardens?

dublinred
12/08/2006, 11:19 PM
I watched the score coming through on Sky Sports news and they were trying to make excuses for poor Gretna , I felt really proud when I seen the result I pulled the p!ss of the celts fans at work the next day and their excuse was Derry played 20 games and were fully fit , if it was in a few weeks time gretna would of won , it was sweeter when I asked why the Celtic fans why was gretna in Europe and got the following response :

Gretna were win Europre because thet got to the scottish cup final
LR: Who did they play in the final ?
Hearts
LR: What was the result ?
Hearts scraped it in extra time
LR: Is this the same Hearts that beat Celtic at the weekend?
**** off

OneRedArmy
13/08/2006, 8:40 PM
Can I just do an emperor's new clothes thing about the co-efficient here?

I think some people round here are developing a ridiculous fetish about the co-efficient, as if it'll cast some kind of magic spell over European opposition. The co-efficient doesn't help you win ties, that has to be done on the pitch. As a consequence of that, the co-efficient gets better. See? Cause...effect...get it straight in your heads people.

Unless I have it completely árseways, the co-efficient just gives you a preferential draw against unseeded opposition. They still have to be beaten. Then you come up against supposedly stronger opponents. They then have to be taken on in the same way.

If Irish teams are good enough, they'll progress, simple as.Hallelujah!

I'm glad someone else can see the forest for the trees.

GalwayFrancis
13/08/2006, 9:53 PM
im a gufc fan, if sligo were playing in europe, i would support them. cant imagine myself cheering on some spanish/scottish/european opposition before an irish team. i was hoping to go to depotivo when shels played them, but it fell through for me. fair play to derry during the week and hopefully they get a nice tie for the next round. any big name teams in the next round?

EDIT: found teams already in first round proper:

Atromitos
AZ
Beşiktaş
Blackburn
Braga
Celta
Eintracht
Espanyol
Feyenoord
Groningen
Heerenveen
Iraklis
Lens
Leverkusen
Livorno
Lokomotiv Moskva
Nacional
Nancy
Palermo
Panathinaikos
Parma
Pasching
PSG
Rangers
Schalke
Setúbal
Sevilla
Sparta
Tottenham
West Ham
Xanthi
Zulte Waregem

any of the english teams or rangers would be a dream draw for derry

MariborKev
13/08/2006, 10:41 PM
rangers would be a dream draw for derry

Are ye clean mad?

Dazzy
13/08/2006, 10:41 PM
I dont know why every one keeps going on about Dream draw i want a team we can beat and reach the group stages, now that would be the dream!

monkey magic
13/08/2006, 10:50 PM
waregem is probably the best draw of those that derry could get - outside the top two belgian football is pretty poor:ball:

Speranza
13/08/2006, 11:27 PM
I will cry if we get Rangers in the next round. The demographics of our fanbase is obvious but our support prides itself on not attaching a tribal identity to the club via flags, songs, colours e.t.c. This would go out the window if we play Rangers as we would get every scrote from every side taking an interest. Imagine the Celtic clad scumbags that stoned the Linfield fans if we drew RFC.

Red&White
13/08/2006, 11:41 PM
I will cry if we get Rangers in the next round. The demographics of our fanbase is obvious but our support prides itself on not attaching a tribal identity to the club via flags, songs, colours e.t.c. This would go out the window if we play Rangers as we would get every scrote from every side taking an interest. Imagine the Celtic clad scumbags that stoned the Linfield fans if we drew RFC.

Tell me about it. I get a headache even thinking about it.

higgins
14/08/2006, 12:03 AM

If Irish teams are good enough, they'll progress, simple as.

Well if your coefficient is high enough you get a buy into the Champions League and dont have to go through 3 qualifying rounds!

Why dont AC Milan just start in round 1 if they are good enough :rolleyes:

In EL terms we are trying to get seeded in the first round and thereby get into the 2nd round more often. We then aim to get a bye into the 2nd Round. When this happens we are seeded and play a winner from the first round. Its safe to say that we should then get into the 3rd round more and more as we face easier ties i.e. A first round winner rather than a second round seed.

NY Hoop
14/08/2006, 12:59 PM

Spot on.

I know a Galway fan that went to Prague last year to support cork. I dont see the problem.

Once again fair play to Derry.

KOH

Dr.Nightdub
14/08/2006, 6:21 PM
Well if your coefficient is high enough you get a buy into the Champions League and dont have to go through 3 qualifying rounds!

Oh sweet suffering lantern of divine. Where's the shaking head sadly smiley when you need it?

If your team is good enough, you beat three teams in successive qualifying rounds (hint: the clue is in the name) and get into the Champions League.

Having a whopping coefficient is feck-all use in the long run cos it doesn't magic away the inevitability of running up against Red Star Belgrade or similar. Beat them and you're through. Get beaten and you and your precious coefficient are out. Simple.

Yes, I accept that the co-efficients of the EPL, Serie A, La Liga, etc contribute to how many entrants they get and how many of those are automatic starters in the CL proper, but you're talking about a whole different football planet than the eL is ever gonna live on in any of our lifetimes. Let's keep the discussion grounded in some kind of realistic context here.

Why dont AC Milan just start in round 1 if they are good enough :rolleyes:

Milan are a particularly bad example to quote cos of the fallout from the Italian ref-fixing scandal and its implications for who gets to represent Serie A in Europe this season.

However, to address the thing at a more general level: no League has automatic qualification for the first round proper for all its entrants. Even Arsenal, last year's beaten finalists, have to go through qualifying because of where they finished in their League. Their coefficient is arguably much higher than Chelsea's - I couldn't be bothered looking it up to check, but logic tells you Wenger's sustained progress in Europe over a long number of seasons is gonna count for more than anything amassed by Mourinho's johhny-come-latelies. However, cos Chelsea won the EPL, they automatically qualify, not Arsenal. Again though, a whole different planet.

In EL terms we are trying to get seeded in the first round and thereby get into the 2nd round more often.

Oh no! :eek: Not the coefficient-driven lucky rabbit's foot again? For the last time: seeding does not put you in round two, winning games on the pitch does. Apologies for the use of a couple of multi-syllable words there, I tried making it simpler but couldn't.

OneRedArmy
14/08/2006, 6:39 PM
Why dont AC Milan just start in round 1 if they are good enough :rolleyes: You've just answered the question yourself.

Because they are good enough. Entering at a later stage simply reflects your club and country strength, ie you are expected to beat teams in earlier rounds and thus don't have to face them. Its not some feckin magic pill which makes the respective club and league better overnight!

Repeat after me:
cause and effect
cause and effect
cause and effect
continue ad naseum....