PDA

View Full Version : Bray's new marquee / tent / "stand"

Pages : [1] 2

anto eile
11/08/2006, 9:49 PM
anyone else see this joke?
its a travesty
a flat pack metal temporary yoke.985 seats.a canvas roof.50 poles supporting the aforementioned canvas roof
it would blow away in a gale
only in the EL would a team buy a stand from somehwere like IKEA
bray have shamed the league with this sham of a "stand"
its more a marquee or tent
it would be hilarious if it wasnt so pathetic

nshoop
11/08/2006, 9:50 PM
Bit harsh but can't really argue,I was disappointed when I saw it

OneRedArmy
11/08/2006, 10:10 PM
Element of glass houses in my comment given the ongoing Brandywell shennanigans, but the main problem with Bray's pagoda is the supporting poles and the low roof. You'd get a less obscured view of the game from the Dart.

4tothefloor
11/08/2006, 10:26 PM
I thought the funniest thing was that the dugouts on the halfway line completely obscure most of the stand seats behind them. And they aren't small dugots. Terrible planning, especially if you're looking at the longterm. Shorterm it's probably more than what a lot of clubs have, but that's about all you can say about it.

CuanaD
11/08/2006, 10:38 PM
Looks good on the TV

same company supplies these to various rugby clubs in UK - so it must be sturdy enough.
Sounds like a quick & cheep solution - may be the way forward - we could get used to it yet

Stevo Da Gull
11/08/2006, 10:53 PM
It's similiar to Falkirks stand behind one of their goals and, as has already been mentioned, like many stands at rugby grounds. From what I understand the dug-outs (which are a huge obstruction) will be knocked ASAP, which is definately necessary.

DesShels
11/08/2006, 10:55 PM
There are some pictures of it In This Thread (http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?p=79868&highlight=#79868) on the Shelbourne FC forums.

joema
11/08/2006, 10:59 PM
Think it looks terrible. Far too many poles - might look ok behind the goal but not along the pitch - looks crap on TV and gives the league in general a bad image IMO

nshoop
11/08/2006, 11:03 PM
It wont last in our weather,it'll rust and the roof will tear.Fair play to Bray for the effort but they need a permanent,concrete stand put in in the next year or two

Soper
11/08/2006, 11:34 PM
While it is true they are used at many rugby grounds in this country, they are typically used as behind the posts stands where they place the families.I don't think they are meant to be used in the way Bray has.

De Town
12/08/2006, 12:09 AM
From seeing it on TV, it looks pretty shít to me. Could be worse though, at least they've covered a few seats now!

CharlesThompson
12/08/2006, 12:24 AM
How much did it cost?

De Town
12/08/2006, 12:26 AM
How much did it cost?
300K I think.

CharlesThompson
12/08/2006, 12:33 AM
That's what I thought I heard. They could have gone down to the scouts den and borrowed a few tents. They'd have saved a fortune!

DmanDmythDledge
12/08/2006, 12:34 AM
How much did it cost?
They got a grant of €385k towards it.

Eoingull
12/08/2006, 1:30 AM
For what it's worth, the stand stood up to plenty of jumping around and footstamping tonight.

Buller
12/08/2006, 9:42 AM
For what it's worth, the stand stood up to plenty of jumping around and footstamping tonight.
well i would hope so!!! :rolleyes:

BohDiddley
12/08/2006, 9:46 AM
Nothing wrong with it, bar the dugouts.
Comfy and dry last night, thank you very much, and stoutly withstood Bray's hoofed clearances.

Passive
12/08/2006, 10:07 AM
Not half as ridiculous as Limerick putting a handful of garden chairs in the back of a lorry and parking it alongside the pitch. Now that was hilarious.

CharlesThompson
12/08/2006, 10:14 AM

To be fair, I was being slightly facetious. It is a country mile better than the last effort that was there, comfortable with enough of leg room and it keeps the rain off.

The only thing is, was the €385k spent on that or was other work carried out? I honestly think you were robbed if you spent that money on that stand especially as about 25% of the stand is completely redundant due to the ample dugouts in front.

sonofstan
12/08/2006, 10:16 AM
Comfy and dry last night, thank you very much, and stoutly withstood Bray's hoofed clearances.

Watched the first half from the stand - comfy and dry but couldn't see half the pitch, so went over to the DART side for the second half and got p****d on

BohDiddley
12/08/2006, 10:19 AM
Watched the first half from the stand - comfy and dry but couldn't see half the pitch, so went over to the DART side for the second half and got p****d on
It it's any consolation, the other side looked wet but happy :D

pete
12/08/2006, 2:46 PM
The marquee looks fine but roof seems very low & obviously has loads of poles. Be surprised if it will last long with few hundred fans jumping up & down.

Is suppose its a modern version of Belfield Parks bleechers. :eek:

BohsFans
12/08/2006, 6:25 PM
In fairness to Bray they had NO COVERED AREA in the ground this season, up until tonight. So when it bucketed down in the second half people had a dry spot to watch the game.

I take it's only temporary? Nothing on their web site.

What you can't see from TV is that it's a good 3-5 inch's above the pitch.

SPXcyan
12/08/2006, 7:14 PM
well it looks alot better having that stand there than a wall in the background... I would be happy with something like that behind one of our goals down here and so would many clubs!! but to pay 300K for that... YEHHEHEHH RIGHT!

Lim till i die
13/08/2006, 12:05 AM
Not half as ridiculous as Limerick putting a handful of garden chairs in the back of a lorry and parking it alongside the pitch. Now that was hilarious.

Shur you would have taken any oul reason to smile that day what with your team being outplayed on the pitch while off the pitch your poor defenceless fans were being beaten to death and in some cases eaten :rolleyes:

Hows the press box in the mound of rubble out in tallaght coming along anyway?? :rolleyes:

Raheny Red
13/08/2006, 11:33 AM
Looks good on the TV

same company supplies these to various rugby clubs in UK - so it must be sturdy enough.

Just because the players are sturdy in that sport doesn't mean the stand will be :rolleyes: :p

BohDiddley
13/08/2006, 11:43 AM
This thread really takes the biscuit. The stand is better than nine out of 10 stands anywhere in the eL. It is better than the Des Kelly stand. It is better than UCD's stand. It is better than that cowshed in Drogheda.
It is being criticised by supporters of clubs that offer accommodation on earth banks, by supporters of clubs with mostly empty stands, and by supporters of clubs with no ground!
I was at the back of the stand for the game on Friday, and my view of the game was impeded only by the dugouts. The supporting posts are narrow and not an issue.

BohsFans
13/08/2006, 1:32 PM
This thread really takes the biscuit. The stand is better than nine out of 10 stands anywhere in the eL. It is better than the Des Kelly stand. It is better than UCD's stand. It is better than that cowshed in Drogheda.
It is being criticised by supporters of clubs that offer accommodation on earth banks, by supporters of clubs with mostly empty stands, and by supporters of clubs with no ground!
I was at the back of the stand for the game on Friday, and my view of the game was impeded only by the dugouts. The supporting posts are narrow and not an issue.

it really needs some guttering for when it rains, like Friday!

pete
13/08/2006, 4:40 PM
I suppose it Bray decide at some stage to build a permanent structure they can always fold up the tent & sell it in BuyandSell. :D :cool:

manic da hoop
13/08/2006, 6:04 PM
Shur you would have taken any oul reason to smile that day what with your team being outplayed on the pitch while off the pitch your poor defenceless fans were being beaten to death and in some cases eaten :rolleyes:

Hows the press box in the mound of rubble out in tallaght coming along anyway?? :rolleyes:

Well you're the one that has to put up with it every second week, so if you're happy with the pile of rubble that passes for your home, fine, good luck with it. Fair play to Bray for actually getting ahead and doing something about providing decent seated accommodation. And there's nothing wrong with a bit of constructive criticism when discussing stadium facilities in this league...even if it means the fan of a 'homeless' club expressing his or her opinion. Sensitive people, however, should just stay quiet on the matter.

Lim till i die
13/08/2006, 7:00 PM
Well you're the one that has to put up with it every second week, so if you're happy with the pile of rubble that passes for your home, fine, good luck with it. And there's nothing wrong with a bit of constructive criticism when discussing stadium facilities in this league...even if it means the fan of a 'homeless' club expressing his or her opinion. Sensitive people, however, should just stay quiet on the matter.

Where do I say I'm happy with it??

Ya, Passive's post was real constructive :rolleyes:

As for being sensitive, well BOO HOO HOO :( :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve
13/08/2006, 9:31 PM
Fairly certain that wouldn't meet UEFA standards if Bray got back into Europe.

I love the couple of plant pots on the left-hand side of the stand - all very RDS..... :D

BrayUnknowns
14/08/2006, 9:42 AM

Your spot on there ! nothing wrong with it what so ever. It does exactley what it supposed to do ! keeps you a hell of a lot dryer in the rain, anmd a bit warmer as well which is a big fcuking plus in the Carlisle. The dugouts WILL be moved, it's a work in progress, and when they are over the far side it will be spot on. The poles are a little annoying but are no more than 3 or 4 inchs thick so don't really cause that much of a problem.

If it stood up fo Friday nights weather then i think it will stand up to anything in fairness.

Some of you are unreal, a smaler club in the league is trying to some something positive and people knock it back and slag it off because they think there club is bigger and better. It' a fcukin mile better than most other stands in the eL so makes no sense what so ever for supporters from other clubs to have ago at it when what they have is probably worse themselves....

NY Hoop
14/08/2006, 1:07 PM
Your spot on there ! nothing wrong with it what so ever. It does exactley what it supposed to do ! keeps you a hell of a lot dryer in the rain, anmd a bit warmer as well which is a big fcuking plus in the Carlisle. The dugouts WILL be moved, it's a work in progress, and when they are over the far side it will be spot on. The poles are a little annoying but are no more than 3 or 4 inchs thick so don't really cause that much of a problem.

If it stood up fo Friday nights weather then i think it will stand up to anything in fairness.

Some of you are unreal, a smaler club in the league is trying to some something positive and people knock it back and slag it off because they think there club is bigger and better. It' a fcukin mile better than most other stands in the eL so makes no sense what so ever for supporters from other clubs to have ago at it when what they have is probably worse themselves....

Completely agree.

Would the knockers like to just leave it the way it was ffs?:rolleyes:

As was mentioned at least they are trying to do something positive. Ok it looks unusual but it is covered seating.

To the limerick fan: You have been in rathbane since 1983 and NOTHING has ever been done there. That's not abuse its a fact. If it wasnt for a certain GAA club we would be in Tallaght for next season.

KOH

Poor Student
14/08/2006, 1:23 PM
Whatever about our own respective grounds, the Carlisle has been a pretty unpleasant ground. The new stand lifts the image and quality of the ground a lot. How can people ask if it's temporary? Since when do eL clubs have €300k to throw at temporary stands?:confused:

RonnieB
14/08/2006, 3:59 PM
Knock the dugouts and it will be fine.

DmanDmythDledge
14/08/2006, 5:01 PM
Knock the dugouts and it will be fine.
That's what they are planning to do.

Bray Head
14/08/2006, 7:18 PM
Whatever about our own respective grounds, the Carlisle has been a pretty unpleasant ground. The new stand lifts the image and quality of the ground a lot. How can people ask if it's temporary? Since when do eL clubs have €300k to throw at temporary stands?:confused:

Well said, poor student. It has improved the image of the Carlisle grounds. We have more seats (almost 3000) than some of the top clubs (Derry, Pats, Drogheda) in the league. Temporary means that it can be moved to behind the goal when we eventually get enough money to build a proper stand. It's better that the shed that was there before it and will do the job once the dug outs are moved in the next few weeks. The cost of E300k probably includes the removal of the old stand plus putting in a concrete base which was not there before.

The Stars
14/08/2006, 11:48 PM
it looks good enough on TV aswell,think this type of stand could catch on,considering how it improves the look of the place,for say behind the goals of stadiums to give it a more finished look.

kdjaC
15/08/2006, 12:17 AM
Wouldnt say no to 1 of them in the Shed End, cheap and effective.

kdjac

Lim till i die
15/08/2006, 12:23 AM
To the limerick fan: You have been in rathbane since 1983 and NOTHING has ever been done there. That's not abuse its a fact. If it wasnt for a certain GAA club we would be in Tallaght for next season.

KOH

Indeed it's not abuse.

Believe it or not this season it's tidier than it has been in many a long year :o

The reasons for the under-development of Rathbane are well documented in fairness.... It's a tale involving a lease, a priest and lots of alcohol :p

BrayUnknowns
15/08/2006, 10:08 AM
Well said, poor student. It has improved the image of the Carlisle grounds. We have more seats (almost 3000) than some of the top clubs (Derry, Pats, Drogheda) in the league. Temporary means that it can be moved to behind the goal when we eventually get enough money to build a proper stand. It's better that the shed that was there before it and will do the job once the dug outs are moved in the next few weeks. The cost of E300k probably includes the removal of the old stand plus putting in a concrete base which was not there before.

yes the cost mentioned nicludes every single bit of work, including the removel of the old shed and laying the foundations.

The dugouts WILL be moved to the far side over the coming weeks and it will be perfect then. If people don't like it then sit in the fcuking rain.

drinkfeckarse
15/08/2006, 10:40 AM
yes the cost mentioned nicludes every single bit of work, including the removel of the old shed and laying the foundations.

Well at least that's something because 300k for that that would be daylight robbery.

Fair play to Bray for at least trying to do something and it will be effective but at the end of the day, is a stand with poles every 10 feet and a canvas roof the image or direction we want to portray the league in?? And as someone else has mentioned, it is debatable whether that would pass UEFA safety criteria.

Well done for making improvements though and at least trying to make it better for the fans.

Jerry The Saint
15/08/2006, 10:52 AM
Wouldnt say no to 1 of them in the Shed End, cheap and effective.

kdjac

The Tent-End Invincibles:confused: :D

NY Hoop
15/08/2006, 11:39 AM
Indeed it's not abuse.

Believe it or not this season it's tidier than it has been in many a long year :o

The reasons for the under-development of Rathbane are well documented in fairness.... It's a tale involving a lease, a priest and lots of alcohol :p

Agree its tidier but one of the leagues rules states that there should be no surfaces containing gravel, stones or other loose materials in any ground. And all the surfaces must be concrete or tar macadam?

What is the story with sharing Thomond Park? Is that an option at all?

KOH

manic da hoop
15/08/2006, 1:50 PM
Agree its tidier but one of the leagues rules states that there should be no surfaces containing gravel, stones or other loose materials in any ground. And all the surfaces must be concrete or tar macadam?

Well there's still a grassy knoll behind the goal at Bray that, unlike the one at Belfield, is still accessable.

Won't Thomand Park be out of bounds for a while when it's getting it's face-lift?

BrayUnknowns
15/08/2006, 2:59 PM
Well there's still a grassy knoll behind the goal at Bray that, unlike the one at Belfield, is still accessable.

Won't Thomand Park be out of bounds for a while when it's getting it's face-lift?

That Grassy knoll is also due to be built on, planning premmision has been granted so i think that could be next on the agenda for the club.

monkey magic
15/08/2006, 9:36 PM

KOH

in fairness i seriously doubt munster rugby would allow football to be played in the spiritual home of irish rugby

CollegeTillIDie
15/08/2006, 9:52 PM
in fairness i seriously doubt munster rugby would allow football to be played in the spiritual home of irish rugby

Well next time Limerick qualify for Europe , they would have little other option in the city , now wouldn't they?