PDA

View Full Version : E-Bay & PayPal

drinkfeckarse
11/08/2006, 1:23 PM
Lads I was wondering if I could pick your brains regarding Paypal on E-Bay. I just went on to open a PayPal account and things didn't go as I thought they would.

I want to open one for the obvious reasons, primarily to buy stuff. I clicked on the link for PP on e-bay and opened a personal account. The thing is they didn't even ask for my bank details and it implies that I have to transfer funds into my account. Should I have opened a Premier Account rather than a Personal one? I don't want to transfer anything, I just want the money to be taken from my own account it if I buy something.

I was under the impression that you gave them your bank details, then they withdrew i.e. 1p and then put it back in to verify that it was legit??

Thank you in advance,

Confused from Cobh.

dahamsta
11/08/2006, 1:34 PM
You can transfer from PP to an Irish bank account, but PP will only source funds from a credit card.

adam

drinkfeckarse
11/08/2006, 1:38 PM
Cheers Adam, so in lay mans terms....if I buy something on e-bay I need to make sure I have money in my Pay Pal account to transfer to the sellers?

dfx-
11/08/2006, 1:47 PM
Have money in the credit card account for the Paypal account to source it from..:)

osarusan
11/08/2006, 1:49 PM
as far as i know, when you opened your paypal account, you were asked for your credit card details......is that right?

So when you buy something on ebay, paypal will access your credit card company, be it VISA or whatever. From that point on it is the same as any credit card transfer.

The reason you use paypal is that you dont want to use your credit card details directly, which would involve giving your details to a total stranger.

Paypal is just a way to keep you as safe as possible when buying online.

All of the above may be totally wrong!!

drinkfeckarse
11/08/2006, 1:52 PM
as far as i know, when you opened your paypal account, you were asked for your credit card details......is that right?

[/B]

No wasn't asked for anything. I think I might just cancel it and start again using my credit card. If asked I was going to give them an account number I have for an old savings account that has a couple of hundred quid in it. That way I wouldn't have money coming off my current account or onto my Visa etc...

slow2anger
11/08/2006, 2:12 PM
I just want the money to be taken from my own account it if I buy something.

I was under the impression that you gave them your bank details, then they withdrew i.e. 1p and then put it back in to verify that it was legit??

Thank you in advance,

Confused from Cobh.

You can transfer funds to and from a UK bank account. When you set up they do as you say above ie deposit an amount between 1p and 99p and you verify when you look at your statement.

However an Irish bank account is probably a very different story.............ie. you can't!! :mad:

RogerMilla
11/08/2006, 2:28 PM
i reckon the whole bank account thing would be too slow and your seller would get annoyed with the delay , mine is linked to my credit casr and the money is debited immediately , feckin addicted to ebay!!

drinkfeckarse
11/08/2006, 2:41 PM
You can transfer funds to and from a UK bank account. When you set up they do as you say above ie deposit an amount between 1p and 99p and you verify when you look at your statement.

That's what I thought would happen as I am based in Scotland and have a UK bank account but I was never asked to provide any banking details, just address and e-mail etc. Once I was all done it then showed a £0.00 balance in my PayPal account which made me think I had to deposit funds in their first if I ever want to buy anything.

Apologies if I'm being thick, I realise what you are all saying but it's just weird that I was never asked for any banking details. How am I meant to buy anything if they haven't taken my bank details!!

slow2anger
11/08/2006, 9:45 PM
That's what I thought would happen as I am based in Scotland and have a UK bank account but I was never asked to provide any banking details, just address and e-mail etc. Once I was all done it then showed a £0.00 balance in my PayPal account which made me think I had to deposit funds in their first if I ever want to buy anything.

Apologies if I'm being thick, I realise what you are all saying but it's just weird that I was never asked for any banking details. How am I meant to buy anything if they haven't taken my bank details!!

check your paypal profile and see 'bank account' under 'financial info' - this should get you started. you don't need to have a source of funds added a paypal a/c cause other people can send you money for whatever reason, that then becomes your balance. hope this helps!

drinkfeckarse
14/08/2006, 10:56 AM
check your paypal profile and see 'bank account' under 'financial info' - this should get you started.

Thanks for that, checked up on it this morning. It's basically because I have an unverified account so as soon as I try to get it verified that is when they will deposit a couple of small amounts into the account information I give them for me to let them know how much they put in etc.

Easy when you take a step back and have a look :o

paul_oshea
14/08/2006, 11:46 AM
It's basically because I have an unverified account so as soon as I try to get it verified that is when they will deposit a couple of small amounts into the account information I give them for me to let them know how much they put in etc

drink that makes no sense to me? are you saying paypal put money into your account?!?!

drinkfeckarse
14/08/2006, 12:23 PM
This is pasted from Paypals website. They take it back out again Paul!

Set up bank funding with PayPal
Step 1: Log in to your PayPal account and click on Set up bank funding on the left hand side of your Account Overview page. When prompted, enter your bank details and review our bank funding agreement.

Step 2: When we have received your bank details, we will deposit two small security amounts into your bank account. When you see your next bank statement, make a note of these amounts.

Step 3: Log in to your PayPal account and tell us what these two amounts are.

When you have completed all three steps, you can then start sending PayPal payments funded by your bank account.

I thought this was standard procedure :confused:

slow2anger
15/08/2006, 12:36 PM
This is pasted from Paypals website. They take it back out again Paul!

Set up bank funding with PayPal
Step 1: Log in to your PayPal account and click on Set up bank funding on the left hand side of your Account Overview page. When prompted, enter your bank details and review our bank funding agreement.

Step 2: When we have received your bank details, we will deposit two small security amounts into your bank account. When you see your next bank statement, make a note of these amounts.

Step 3: Log in to your PayPal account and tell us what these two amounts are.

When you have completed all three steps, you can then start sending PayPal payments funded by your bank account.

I thought this was standard procedure :confused:

It is standard proceudure. I've done all that. They will put in to your bank a/c maybe 6p and 35p and when you check your statement you veryify its your bank a/c by entering these 2 amounts into Paypal.

Don't worry, Paypal can afford it, they will get their money back from their fees in the future.