PDA

View Full Version : Michael Robinson

Norman
11/08/2006, 8:41 AM
Did anyone see "Tales from Madrid" on BBC 2 the other night where they interviewed english ex-pats living & working in Madrid. They came across Michael Robinson who presents a nightly TV sports show, he has an audience of millions. However, he was aksed what it was like to be an Englishman living in Madrid? He said he was proud to be english and that the locals got on very well with him !!!!!!!!!! This is the same Michael Robinson who played for Ireland - has the sangria gone to his head??
:rolleyes:

el punter
11/08/2006, 8:58 AM
that's pretty sad really

davey
11/08/2006, 9:07 AM
Robinson has always been unapologetic about the fact that he is English. One of the most blatant of those who used ROI to play international Football. Not nice to hear but not suprising. :(

Fubar
11/08/2006, 9:54 AM
Good reason then why we shouldnt be trying to clear red tape for Kevin Nolan when he isnt bothered about playing for us and will probably have an attitude like Robinson.

pete
11/08/2006, 10:17 AM
Robinson has always been unapologetic about the fact that he is English. One of the most blatant of those who used ROI to play international Football.

Good to see we have stopped this practice though...

:o

drinkfeckarse
11/08/2006, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure how I feel about that. On one hand I'm thinking "what a pr!ck" but on the other hand I'm thinking "at least he's being honest, he IS English afterall".

Robinson played in an era where you didn't look on international football as a career move so in that respect it's somewhat surprising.

Dodge
11/08/2006, 11:22 AM
Not surprising in the least. Plenty of players have the same beliefs.

OwlsFan
11/08/2006, 11:57 AM
Did the business for us at the time. Not bothered what he thinks now.

drinkfeckarse
11/08/2006, 12:12 PM
Not surprising in the least. Plenty of players have the same beliefs.

These days yes but I would have thought the mindset was different years ago. As I say it's a little surprising for me because he played in an era where money and career prospects were not huge factors thus suggesting you played for the country you believed your heart was at.

Obviously not all players thought like this but a damn sight more than todays greedy selfish mob.

Noelys Guitar
11/08/2006, 12:35 PM
Honest answer. He always gave 100% for Ireland. Made his debut against France in 1979. He got some serious abuse from English journos at the time for declaring for Ireland. He was like Lawernson, Heighway, Galvin, Aldridge,Townsend and Cascarino English (like a host of others). Would I give up on the great memories of the matches they played for Ireland and the help they gave the team in qualifying for tournaments because of that? Never. To me they have dual nationality.

Dodge
11/08/2006, 1:20 PM
These days yes but I would have thought the mindset was different years ago. As I say it's a little surprising for me because he played in an era where money and career prospects were not huge factors thus
From what I've read some players seen it as a jolly up. A chance to go away. others obviously wanted the status of being an international. Could definitely see this as being true for those at the larger clubs where they might be the only non international

geysir
11/08/2006, 7:06 PM
Not much logic there Dodge, pushing an assumption ( with a hint of bias) to the definitely true status.
One could just as easily assume from interviews with such players that there was more pressure on the"outsiders" to impress and that they wanted to play to their best.
What we saw with Robinson was his application on the pitch.
One incident that I remember with Robinson was in the home game against France '81, when he collided head first with a French player, both players were knocked out cold, Robinson got to his feet first, met by a roof rattling roar from the crowd. Just one of those moments.

strangeirish
11/08/2006, 7:16 PM
[QUOTE=Noelys Guitar;514031] He got some serious abuse from English journos at the time for declaring for Ireland. He was like Lawernson, Heighway, Galvin, Aldridge,Townsend and Cascarino English (like a host of others). QUOTE]

I thought Steve Heighway was born in Dublin, no?

geysir
11/08/2006, 7:50 PM
Heighway was born in Dublin but grew up in England. He was capped by Mick Meagan before he had even played for the Liverpool first team.
Apart from his ability on the pitch, the only big fuss made about him (afair) in the press was that he was a footballer who had a university degree, oxymoronic stuff indeed.

tricky_colour
11/08/2006, 7:56 PM
Surely if he lives in Spain he is Spanish?

OwlsFan
12/08/2006, 7:18 AM
Heighway was born in Dublin to English parents I think. He was one of the few who didn't actually bring his club form to Ireland. Most raised their game when playing for us. I cannot recall a game where I thought that was a blinding performance by Heighway. I do for Robinson. Away to Holland and home to France being two I remember.

geysir
12/08/2006, 7:59 AM
A bit of controversy with Steve because he pulled out of two wc quaifiers and came in for heavy criticism from Liam Touhy.

Couldn't have expressed it better than
http://www.footballpoets.org/p.asp?Id=5039

But when he was picked
To wear the green,
His neck was ricked,
He wasn’t keen,
He had a knock,
He was too tired,
He’d lost a sock,
Passport expired.
His record shows
The path he chose
That’s Stevie Heighway.

I do remember 2 more than adequate performances from Heighway,
the infamous battle of Sofia - Bulgaria away and 1-1 against England at Wembley mid 70's

Dodge
12/08/2006, 12:28 PM
Not much logic there Dodge, pushing an assumption ( with a hint of bias) to the definitely true status.
One could just as easily assume from interviews with such players that there was more pressure on the"outsiders" to impress and that they wanted to play to their best[
HOw does me posting "from what I've read" mean I thought it was definitely true. And I never mentioned anything about any players application.

geysir
12/08/2006, 2:14 PM
And I never mentioned anything about any players application.
Who said you did?

HOw does me posting "from what I've read" mean I thought it was definitely true.
Ask a shrink. How the féck would I know what goes on your head after you write about that you read something (unnamed) which leads you to believe that others (unnamed) obviously wanted internationational status that you "could definitly see this as being true" in some circumstances.

Paddy Garcia
12/08/2006, 5:41 PM
[QUOTE=OwlsFan;514491] I cannot recall a game where I thought that was a blinding performance by Heighway. QUOTE]

Away to England in about 74/75

Chewy
17/08/2006, 1:41 PM
Honest answer. He always gave 100% for Ireland. Made his debut against France in 1979. He got some serious abuse from English journos at the time for declaring for Ireland. He was like Lawernson, Heighway, Galvin, Aldridge,Townsend and Cascarino English (like a host of others). Would I give up on the great memories of the matches they played for Ireland and the help they gave the team in qualifying for tournaments because of that? Never. To me they have dual nationality.

exactly have people little to be worried about and who were all the twast singing go home britsh soldiers last night was it the orange jerseys that stirred up this garbage

NeilMcD
17/08/2006, 4:10 PM
Yeah I noticed that last night too, a load of rubbish I must say.

gspain
18/08/2006, 8:03 AM
Michael robinson was alimited enough player but he always gave 100%.

Liverpool used to pull a lot of players in the 70's and 80's from irish squads. ronnie Whelan missed alot of games too. although it is fair to say that Heighway never reached his club heights for Ireland.

DeLorean
28/04/2020, 8:31 AM
RIP - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/28/michael-robinson-former-liverpool-and-brighton-player-dies-aged-61-republic-of-ireland-spain

RiffRaff
29/04/2020, 5:57 AM
Very sad news. Its fair to say there was a lot of cynicism when he declared and i think in an earlier magazine interview he stated his ambition was to play for England, but he won people over with very committed performances. I think he "scored" one of those controversial disallowed goals we always seem to have at the time, maybe in France?

seanfhear
29/04/2020, 6:30 AM
An usual type of player. A big bulky powerhouse who had a bit of pace in his earlier days. Probably not the same player when he lost that pace through injury.

Always done his best for us.

RIP.

tetsujin1979
29/04/2020, 9:51 AM
Good article from the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/28/michael-robinson-european-cup-winner-voice-spanish-tv-died-61

gastric
30/04/2020, 7:33 AM
RIP. Made the most of his attributes and had a good career. Always articulate and honest in interviews, probaly explains his later career in commentary. Really feeling my age with Trevor Cherry also passing soon after Norman Hunter.

samhaydenjr
01/05/2020, 12:30 AM
His media career really made him a huge household name in Spain. I remember reading a story about him many years ago where an Irish journalist accompanied him to a game in Spain. As they were waiting for kick-off they were approached by an elderly gentleman who shook Robinson's hand and talking to him enthusiastically, seeming to be a big fan. After the gentleman left, the journalist asked Robinson "who's that aul' fella?" Robinson responded "that was Alfredo Di Stefano"

You can also see it in the tributes from so many of the greats of Spanish sport - Nadal, Torres, Ramos, Iniesta, Gasol, Xabi Alonso, Casillas