PDA

View Full Version : Will the big crowds return?

pete
22/07/2002, 4:18 PM
I was a bit surprised by big crowd against $hel$ but i very plesently amazed to hear more or less the same for UCD (traditionally worst crowd of the season) of all clubs.

Where have all these people come from? Are they 'new' supporters or people who find fridays better or can't make sundays? I'm sure the summer + floodlights adds a novelty element to it too?

Has Lennox improved the way the Cork public perceive the club? What are the newbie supporters saying?

I think be interesting to see what kind of attendance will get at Derry game in a few weeks at that be at sunday 12 noon - should tell us a lot about the friday v sunday debate.

If this continues (city scoring goals will help) going to be some huge crowd when play bohs or shamrocks rovers (traditionally probably biggest crowd) in a couple of months.

p.s. I hope Lennox looking after the cash as city have to be raking it in... ;)

dalo
22/07/2002, 4:32 PM
i was taking a interest in some of the comments of the newbies. some hadn't a clue who the players were or even the manager and simply supporting the entity of a cork team. a lot were parents bringing kids along half expecting to see ryan giigs or micky owen on the pitch.

i still think of the 5,000 at the game perhaps 2,000 were regulars as I reckon any slide in results could see people melting away. it was the same when we were chasing the league in 1999- crowds of 5-7,000 and then next season lots of empty seats.

however the improved media coverage of matches at a local level has helped so far. also brian lennox is very visible on match days and is identified as mr cork city by a large section of people. having a smile and being a nice guy always helps

i am still not convinced the tide has turned. cork people will only support a winning team and I think once the hype dies down you get a more realistic attendance of 2,000.

as i say the rsults and football will have to improve on the pitch before we see a change

Troy.McClure
22/07/2002, 4:36 PM
There are deffinitly some new supporters alright, a few guys in the Shed started to sing The Fields of Athenry before the UCD match!:D

I remember when I first started going to City matches around 5/6 years ago, and City played (and might have beat) Shels one Sunday in a very entertaining match infront of about 3000 , but 2 weeks later when UCD came down, there were only around 700 there, I couldnt understand it at all! I guess a lot of it has to do with some good weather, 6 goals in 2 games & improved facilities from a few years ago aswell as a wee bit of extra publicity in the Echo & Red fm.

pete
22/07/2002, 4:44 PM
I suppose getting people to become diehards is the hardest thing for CCFC. While the dublin clubs may not be able to match the big crowds of city most have a core support they will never drop below for a league game.

I suppose if city had a core support of 2000 that will turn out no matter what the league position that would be better than almost all other clubs bar Pats & Bohs so maybe not so bad.

I would strongly support squad numbers next year - i know many like to stick with tradition but squad numbers better for 'selling' the club.

Troy.McClure
22/07/2002, 4:54 PM
Originally posted by pete
I would strongly support squad numbers next year - i know many like to stick with tradition but squad numbers better for 'selling' the club. I havent heard of anyone not wanting squad numbers. Its vital to get them IMO, to give a more profesional image.

dalo
24/07/2002, 2:57 PM
if they did it last year i doubt if HARTIGAN would have been a big seller. imagine forking out the bobs for MULCONROY:D

patsh
25/07/2002, 1:11 PM
Imho I think a lot of the support is a hangover from the world cup.
City's first game was only 5 days after the final when interest in soccer was skyhigh. This is a good thing as long as these people are encouraged to keep coming back, which they will as long as City are doing well.
I noticed an awful lot of girls in the 14 - 17 yr old age group there last friday night. That's surely a good sign as to where the boys are!!! And if the girls stay, the boys will as well and vice versa!
The sunny evenings also make it quite pleasant for a lot of people to come along and watch a game, but providing it is not raining hard, I think floodlit games during the winter will attract a good proportion of the same people.
No matter what you think about the Sky deal, all the publicity has been a good thing for the eL.
The cruch, I feel, will come when the Premiership gets going again. Will those "fans" be prepared to go to live games rather than to a comfortable pub?
This will be the test.

btw: Last Friday night, I came across the biggest bore/l*nger/mouth I have ever been misfortunate to stand next to. He was at the front of the shed, not having a clue about any of the players or the eL in general, he was about 16 stone and could not have run towards a Big f*kin Mac, yet he never tired of telling eveybody what the teams were doing wrong., how they should play and, interspersing all this, about how wonderful the Aston Villa v Liverpool game last season was in comparison.

We want his money but not his mouth !!!;)

dalo
25/07/2002, 1:26 PM
funny you should say that. i was in the stand with the old doll and there was this fat old geezer in front. he made a funny comment- we all laughed. alas i think he thought was on live at the palladium and tried to be LOUDLY humourous every two minutes.
really bugs me that guys trying to be the wit all the time at matches. the auld fellas are the worst. suppose it's because they are only let out once a week

what really got on my goat was when he kept slagging off colin o'brien and flynn for not trying hard enough.

eventually some guy next to me told him to shout up and sit down as he was blocking out the sunlight. that was funny

what a pain!!!!!!!!!:D

pete
25/07/2002, 1:54 PM
Originally posted by dalo
what really got on my goat was when he kept slagging off colin o'brien and flynn for not trying hard enough.

eventually some guy next to me told him to shout up and sit down as he was blocking out the sunlight. that was funny

what a pain!!!!!!!!!:D

Can't beat it though can you? - live footie. TV can never beat those 'encounters'

:D

dalo
25/07/2002, 2:42 PM
it is a good laugh and the matches would be a poorer place without it. that is why I was so disapointed with shels yesterday another excuse for the knockers not to go to real live football:cool:

Troy.McClure
26/07/2002, 2:31 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
btw: Last Friday night, I came across the biggest bore/l*nger/mouth I have ever been misfortunate to stand next to. ...We want his money but not his mouth !!!;) There was a guy in the St Annes end, who midway through the 2nd half, started shouting at City "Play it long more often". I nearly wet myself!:p He must have loved last season!

Gary
26/07/2002, 2:45 PM
ya, thats all we need. even more hoofing!!

:)