PDA

View Full Version : Your a Star - Football

bawn79
10/08/2006, 10:28 AM
Been thinking of this idea recently. Where I come from in Tipperary, hurling is by far the number one sport and soccer comes a close second. I know some of these players would also make top class soccer players with a bit of coaching. They are natural athletes.
Do you think if there was a Your a Star competition with a seasons contract at a Eircom League club that you could get some of these guys to give it a try. Especially any guys in the 18-23 group that would still be in college taking a year off to play soccer would be very easy.
You could run it off by a county/city, then province basis. The money for the contract could be put up by the FAI/RTE (or whichever broadcaster) and there could be a public vote or else it could be purely based on coaches view of ability, or a combination. The club that take the player on wouldn't have to pay anything and would get a free player to boot. Im assuming in and around €50,000 would be enough. That could be put up by the FAI and the broadcaster absorb the rest with advertising, phone lines etc.
If it worked well it could be run again possibly with four contracts based on the provinces and the teams they could go to would be Derry (Ulster) Galway (Connacht) Any Dublin Club/ Drogheda (Leinster) Cork City (Munster).
Its all a bit of a rough idea but basically is that I think there could be some amazing natural talent available for example Shane Long was a minor hurler for Tipp and now he is playing for Reading, possibly even some rugby guys could switch or even just some young guys that have missed the boat.
The club I play for we have a guy who is on the Tipp Minor Hurling & Football teams and the underage Aussie Rules team. He basically plays maybe 10 games a year for us because he is so busy with all the other activities.
We have had 3-4 guys that I think wouldn't have been good enough to take a shot at career in soccer but never had the interest because of hurling.

If anyone runs with the idea please give me credit/ loads of money!

BrayUnknowns
10/08/2006, 11:45 AM
This idea was mentioned a few years ago and was suppose to happen but never did for some reason.

el punter
10/08/2006, 12:08 PM
Doesn't sound glamourous enough to bother the mainstream. Would need to be ex boyband members or people who rode Jordan/Marsh competing for a football contract before anyone outside the league would take notice.

bawn79
10/08/2006, 12:55 PM
I watched the one with the young guy signing for chelsea and I found it pretty poor but still watched it. I think you would get somewhere between eircom league viewing figures and international matches. There would be a local element with people knowing guys that went to the trials and watching to see if they make it on.
You could have an ex boybander presenting it if you were really stuck. How about Dunphy & Giles on the panel of judges!

hoops1
10/08/2006, 1:32 PM
There is already a weekly comedy/ drama were old past it has beens and young ambitious nobodies with no talent try each week to impress to get a contract at the end of it all,while people in the audience with nothing better to do hold banners up
Its called Bohemians FC!

BrayUnknowns
10/08/2006, 3:44 PM
I watched the one with the young guy signing for chelsea and I found it pretty poor but still watched it. I think you would get somewhere between eircom league viewing figures and international matches. There would be a local element with people knowing guys that went to the trials and watching to see if they make it on.
You could have an ex boybander presenting it if you were really stuck. How about Dunphy & Giles on the panel of judges!

If they could get those figures then it would be a runner without a shadow of a doubt.

If all the eL clubs came together to do it and then picked the best 21 players and worked it like the NFL draft selection it might work.....