PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Ireland leaving Man City?

eirebhoy
09/08/2006, 6:10 PM
A host of clubs are being linked with a move for Manchester City's Stephen Ireland.

The Irish midfielder made his big breakthrough in the City first team last season and he impressed a host of onlookers with his performances.

However, the 19-year-old is far from guaranteed a place in Stuart Pearce's starting XI - given the summer arrivals of midfielders Ousmane Dabo and Dietmar Hamann.

Now a number of clubs including Celtic, Sunderland and Nottingham Forest are understood to be looking into the possibility of landing Ireland.

The player's agent Lee Payne insisted the teenager was more than happy at City, but first team football was his main aim.

"Stephen is a very talented lad and has progressed so well over the last season," Payne told skysports.com.

"Obviously he wants first team football, but he genuinely wants that to be at Manchester City."

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=408875&CPID=8&clid=43&lid=7&title=Ireland+attracting+interest

A lad on a Celtic forum said at 3.00 today that he heard it from a very very good source that Celtic had been in contact with his agent. I certainly don't want to see him going down to Sunderland or Forest. What's up with Pearce and the young lads (Wright Phillips, Croft, Flood...)?

4tothefloor
09/08/2006, 8:03 PM
http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=408875&CPID=8&clid=43&lid=7&title=Ireland+attracting+interest
What's up with Pearce and the young lads (Wright Phillips, Croft, Flood...)?
He seems to have completely changed his attitude towards the young players alright. When he first came in he threw them straight in to the first team and got results with them. Now he seems to be signing journey men and experienced but unspectular pro's, and letting the youngsters go. Strange....

The Legend
09/08/2006, 11:29 PM
probably cause of their end of season collapse!

drinkfeckarse
10/08/2006, 7:58 AM
I think he got fed up with their inconsistency. The players you mentioned have failed to live up to their early promise so it's not surprising that they have signed for lower league clubs.

I don't think Pearce has any problems playing youngsters, he just wants that consistency. Ireland looked the part last year and I have high hopes for him but he faded after his early promise. Hopefully he can add that consistency this year as he has a lot more in his locker than the others above.

I think it would be best for him to stay and then move in the January transfer window if he is not playing much.

drummerboy
10/08/2006, 8:09 AM
I think Manchester City will really struggle this year. Pearse is signing players that are past it like Hamman and discarding promising youngsters.

beautifulrock
10/08/2006, 8:16 AM
oh no not another one of our players dropping down a league. I know it increases the chances of them playing first team football but this is not good news. I think it is another sign that young Irish and Brititsh players are being forced out by cheaper imports. I know there is another thread on this topic but Man City seem like the perfect example of this. Wonder where they will end up iin the league, does not getting relegated mean its a good season.

shakermaker1982
10/08/2006, 8:25 AM
Nottm Forest will never sign him - he can actually play football so too good for us!!!

tetsujin1979
10/08/2006, 9:57 AM
probably cause of their end of season collapse!
More to do with Andy Cole, Samaras, Sinclair and Onuoha all being out for most of the last third of the season

He seems to have completely changed his attitude towards the young players alright. When he first came in he threw them straight in to the first team and got results with them. Now he seems to be signing journey men and experienced but unspectular pro's, and letting the youngsters go. Strange....
Ireland, Richards, Onoha, Miller all getting games in preseason.
Flood and Croft were left go because they couldn't be guaranteed first team football, both came through the youth system so cost the club nothing and a tidy profit was made on them

Back on topic, was sent this earlier on, similar to the original post above:

Celtic Football Club are reportedly keen on Stephen Ireland.

The Irish midfielder made the breakthrough to the Manchester City side last
season, and whilst he is happy at Eastlands, he would be tempted to move if
it resulted in regular first team action.

"Stephen is a very talented lad and has progressed so well over the last
season," agent Lee Payne told Sky Sports. "Obviously he wants first team
football, but he genuinely wants that to be at Manchester City."

It is believed that Scottish champions Celtic are set to test City's resolve
over the 19-year-old with a bid in the region of £2million.

reder
10/08/2006, 10:21 AM
I hope for his sake he stays at city. He will get football there. If he can get a good level of consistency into his game he will play in centre mid for them. He will get a chance and a run of games there this season. Hamann is no treat to him as Didi is a defensive midfielder who will sit in front of the back 4 and protect them and stop them leaking silly goals. If Ireland got to play alongside him in midfielder he would develope no end and gain serious experience.

colster
10/08/2006, 10:28 AM
I hope for his sake he stays at city. He will get football there. If he can get a good level of consistency into his game he will play in centre mid for them. He will get a chance and a run of games there this season. Hamann is no treat to him as Didi is a defensive midfielder who will sit in front of the back 4 and protect them and stop them leaking silly goals. If Ireland got to play alongside him in midfielder he would develope no end and gain serious experience.

Hamann is the type of player they need so he is a big threat to Ireland as it's likely to be Hamann and Barton as first choice.

Dodge
10/08/2006, 10:44 AM
Wonder will they give him Squad No. 32?

RogerMilla
10/08/2006, 6:27 PM
lol lol or would he refuse 26 if offered ?

4tothefloor
10/08/2006, 11:59 PM
Nakamura at Celtic hasn't settled in Scotland and would take a move if he got it, he's already hinted at leaving. He hasn't done great for them anyway. Would Ireland be a direct replacement?

eirebhoy
11/08/2006, 12:37 AM
Nakamura at Celtic hasn't settled in Scotland and would take a move if he got it, he's already hinted at leaving. He hasn't done great for them anyway. Would Ireland be a direct replacement?
Theres so much wrong with this post that I don't know whether you're being sarcastic. Nakamura is Celtic's most important player imo. Last season he got 6 goals and 17 assists but he's so much more than that. He is such a quality player and Celtic are so much better with him in the team. Lennon said last season that you just give Naka the ball and the team will fall back into place. Shaun Maloney could put in a man of the match performance and Celtic could still lose, if Naka puts in a motm performance you just know they'd have controlled the game. Quality player and I'd probably put him down as the best in the league.

As for him being unsettled. That is all media bull. He has never hinted at leaving. He had interest from Seville in the summer but he decided to extend his contract with Celtic.

"It will be common knowledge that there have been offers for me to play elsewhere and these are always very flattering, but I am delighted to be playing at Celtic, one of the world's biggest football clubs," he said. "I am also pleased to agree a one-year contract extension."

I love the guy and can't wait to see him in the champions league. :)

/edit - just realised i wasn't posting in the SPL thread but anyway back on the Stephen Ireland... :)

geysir
11/08/2006, 5:39 PM
4tothefloor, you should know by now that as soon as the sacred name of Nakamura is mentioned anywhere in Footie, Eirebhoy is in like a flash.
Less than flattering comments will certainly result in being thoroughly set right on the player's attributes.

Plastic Paddy
11/08/2006, 6:03 PM
Well if EB didn't do it, you'd have Junior or myself on the case. And we, unlike 4TTF, know what's what where Naka and Celtic are concerned. :D

Wonder will they give him Squad No. 32?

Funny enough, I've seen a few "Ireland 32" tops at CP in my time. At least those lhads would be spared the expense of new kit if the boy did sign... :)

:ball: PP

eirebhoy
11/08/2006, 7:12 PM
4tothefloor, you should know by now that as soon as the sacred name of Nakamura is mentioned anywhere in Footie, Eirebhoy is in like a flash.
Less than flattering comments will certainly result in being thoroughly set right on the player's attributes.
hehe. :D I was so tired that I thought I honestly thought I was posting in the SPL thread hence the long enough reply. :)

4tothefloor
11/08/2006, 10:47 PM

Well if EB didn't do it, you'd have Junior or myself on the case. And we, unlike 4TTF, know what's what where Naka and Celtic are concerned. :D

LOL :D I wouldn't know about that geysir as I gave up posting on Celtic related threads a long time ago cos they always seemed to descend into bickering. Nor do I follow the SPL or Celtic that closely, so apologies for insulting the Naka! For the record I think he's nothing special, just my opinion.

eirebhoy
12/08/2006, 4:15 PM
Any reason why Ireland wasn't involved in the match against Porto today? Is he injured or just not in the squad?

tetsujin1979
12/08/2006, 5:54 PM
He has a slight knock alright, so does Dunne, both could miss the dutch game

from http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/manchestercity/s/220/220506_city_injuries_mount_as_chelsea_await.html

Richard Dunne is struggling to shake off a hamstring strain, making him a major doubt for the Republic of Ireland's friendly against Holland next Wednesday.
Stephen Ireland has not been able to train properly for the past two weeks, having sat out the trip to China.

eirebhoy
14/08/2006, 5:47 PM
Ireland's agent:

"He is under contract at the minute so it is a sensitive situation. But he has been flattered by the interest because he knows just how big a club Celtic are.

"Charlton and Spurs have also made it known that Stephen is a player they would like and if he isn't going to get a game at City then I know he would be desperate to go somewhere he would be starting.

"He comes from the same village in Cork as Roy Keane and his family are all Celtic fans, so there's no doubt that if Celtic made a concrete move for the lad that he would be delighted.

"There has been no official contact through me but I think interest has been registered."

The Legend
14/08/2006, 5:52 PM
the village of Mayfield? ha ha ha

Dj Duffer
14/08/2006, 8:40 PM
Hes from cobh not mayfield but there is a rumour going around the town at da moment that he has had a bust up with pearce and hes signing for celtic... I didnt believe it until i saw this thread! Somethings up..

gustavo
14/08/2006, 9:31 PM
Does this guy have an attitude problem , It wouldnt be the first time he had a bust up with a manager

The Legend
14/08/2006, 10:08 PM
Duffer, i know Ireland is from Cobh, but Keane is mayfield hence what his agent said is incorrect!!!! ""He comes from the same village in Cork as Roy Keane"

Dj Duffer
15/08/2006, 8:58 AM
Duffer, i know Ireland is from Cobh, but Keane is mayfield hence what his agent said is incorrect!!!! ""He comes from the same village in Cork as Roy Keane"

Maybe hes refering to cork as this village?!!!!!!!!!!!

The Legend
15/08/2006, 5:49 PM
Ha, well if he is that's an even worse insult!