PDA

View Full Version : I think we should sing this in Germany for Gary Breen

NeilMcD
09/08/2006, 10:32 AM
Irish fans no longer dreaming of a team of Gary Breens
Wednesday August 9th 2006
ADVERTISEMENT

IF you're looking to sum up the legacy of Gary Breen's Ireland career in one little vignette, then look no further than the comical internet video currently doing the rounds which features a group of Korean schoolkids being taught to sing 'We all dream of a team of Gary Breens'.

The chant, just like the man himself, was remarkably popular as he produced a series of flawless displays during Ireland's participation in the World Cup in Japan and Korea four years ago.

It originated from the ranks of Coventry supporters during the defender's time there and was adopted by Irish fans to recognise the novelty value of his displays in the green jersey during that period.

Even when he won the last of his 63 caps in May's friendly with Chile, Breen's introduction to the fray received something of a mixed reaction.

For both club and country, his performances have been characterised by a dramatic divergence between occasional glimpses of brilliance and seemingly needless individual errors.

Attaining consistency was always problem but when he lined up alongside Steve Staunton for Ireland's four games in the World Cup that will forever be associated with Saipan, Breen looked the most polished of performers.

It's a bizarre twist of fate that his retirement from international football should be mentioned in such a matter of fact fashion by his former colleague yesterday.

Maybe if Breen had made a different decision at that time it might have ended differently. He had put himself in the shop window with his performances as a free agent in Asia. There was talk that Parma and Inter Milan wanted him. Numerous Premiership clubs were also mentioned. He chose West Ham.

In the season that followed, the bad outweighed the good as the Hammers plummeted towards relegation. Mick McCarthy left the Irish job and Brian Kerr came in and while Breen started off as a regular, he was gradually phased out of the picture after being involved in the 2-0 defeat to Switzerland in Basel that put an end to Euro 2004 qualification hopes.

Unluckily for Breen, it was the competition he said Ireland could win in the Joe Duffy-led backslapping fest in the Phoenix Park that followed the return from Japan and Korea two years previously.

It looked likely that he would retire from his international commitments numerous times towards the final stages of Kerr's tenure. At club level, he had been re-united with Mick McCarthy at Sunderland but was released after their relegation last year before joining Wolves where, unsurprisingly, he again linked up with - you guessed it - McCarthy.

There's no doubt that the pair are close which is why it was surprising that Roy Keane listed Breen as one of the players who came to him in his hotel room after the final blow-out in Saipan. Then again, Maidstone-born Breen was always capable of the unpredictable.

He deserves to be remembered fondly. Unlike some players with English accents who have represented the Boys in Green, his commitment to the cause from childhood could never have been questioned.

With a father from Kerry and mother from Clare, he grew up aware of his Irishness. He wore a green shirt into his school in Highgate the day after Ray Houghton's header gave Ireland that famous win over England in Stuttgart in 1988.

He's a knowledgeable follower of the Kerry Gaelic football team and recalled watching images of the 'Bomber' Liston, Ogie Moran and Jack O'Shea growing up. His lasting regret may be missing out on the chance to play at Croke Park, something he had spoken about passionately.

While he steps to one side, the chant that remains so popular in Korea could one day make a re-appearance. A recent Irish U17 squad featured the name of Manchester City's Garry Breen. A different spelling of the Christian name but a centre-half by trade.

The fact remains that whether you loved him or loathed him, the original Breen will always be remembered. Better players have made less of an impression during their time in the green jersey.

Daniel McDonnell

drinkfeckarse
09/08/2006, 1:03 PM
Good piece, one thing no-one could ever question is Breen's level of committment or his love of the Irish jersey.

hoops1
09/08/2006, 1:15 PM
Or his lack of any recognisable talent

eirebhoy
09/08/2006, 1:36 PM
I suppose I have to open a thread to thank the legend that is, Gary Breen! Not the most talented of footballers but he saved his best for the biggest tournament in the world, attracting interest from the likes of Inter and Barcelona (allegedly). :)

He's probably one of the most decent people to put on the green. He left it to Staunton to break the news of his retirement as he knows we're hardly going to be distraught about having to do without him for the Euro 2008 campaign.

Anyway, cheers Gary! You never gave anything but 100%. A final rendition of "a team of Gary Breens" next Wednesday? If we got the crowd to sing that it would send shivers down my spine as this time it wouldn't just be for the comedy value. :)

Jerry The Saint
09/08/2006, 1:47 PM
Love this bit -

A recent Irish U17 squad featured the name of Manchester City's Garry Breen. A different spelling of the Christian name but a centre-half by trade.

Does anyone else think that this guy got his name changed to cash in on the song? :D

Shame they never got to play together :( (alongside 9 other namesakes) :)

CraftyToePoke
09/08/2006, 1:47 PM
indeed.....seconded

i'll never forget the tale of how then west ham manager Roeder had him up against the wall by the neck in pure frustration at his midweek Beckenbaueresque performance in green at a time when he could/would not run to warm himself in west ham colours:D

legend, i says.

eirebhoy
09/08/2006, 2:10 PM
Didn't see this thread so I've merged mine in with it.

drummerboy
09/08/2006, 2:45 PM
Genuine footballer, made the most of his talent.

RogerMilla
09/08/2006, 2:49 PM
agreed , never let the green jersey down despite not exactly having massive abilty , Gary Breen best of luck in the future

hoops1
09/08/2006, 3:02 PM
I dont get this fellas popularity
He got about 50 odd caps to many in my opinion
Giving everything for the green should be the min required and not something
to get excited about
I cant think of to many that havent given everything for the cause
Save your songs for someone who deserves it

Dr. Ogba
09/08/2006, 3:10 PM
Agreed on all. Gazza Breen always gave his all when playing for us and have always been a fan of his due to that....but jaysus didn't he give us some hairy moments along the way :)

The goal against Saudi Arabia = pure class! Maybe ,after seeing that, Barca wanted him up front to partner Ronaldinho! :D

tetsujin1979
09/08/2006, 4:00 PM
The next Garry Breen is playing for Man City's reserves tonight! I'll post a review in the Irish players in Britain thread later

Beavis
09/08/2006, 4:20 PM
Is that Danny McConnell from the Indo?

Great piece, sums up the legend that is.

tricky_colour
09/08/2006, 4:39 PM
Here is that video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykp9m_zG6K8

And here a goal, there ore a few others on there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH0gJcuUVeY

theworm2345
09/08/2006, 4:59 PM
Irish fans no longer dreaming of a team of Gary Breens
I am, Ill be singing it in the pub (if anyone else knows it...it would be better)

OwlsFan
11/08/2006, 7:25 AM
The article does make this sweeping statement though:

"Unlike some players with English accents who have represented the Boys in Green, his commitment to the cause from childhood could never have been questioned."

I was hard pushed to think of one - in fact I can't.

NeilMcD
11/08/2006, 11:30 AM
"his commitment to the cause from childhood"

that is the key aspect to that quote and therefore you can add

Houghton
Townsend
Morrisson
Holland and many more

Childhood is the key word there.

eighties mullet
11/08/2006, 11:46 AM
my mate fitzy made that video when he was teaching out in south korea, he stayed there for a year after the world cup,
for their christmas panto he taught them "were all part of jackies army" and "we didnt start the fire" aswell as the "team of gary breens", the parents are singing along an everything not havin a clue what its about its priceless!!
i'll get him to stick them all up on youtube:p

shelbourne1904
11/08/2006, 11:48 AM
What about Tony Grealish.When he played for Ireland against England in Wembley it was his second time playing there.He had played Gaelic Football there for his local GAA club in England!!!!!Another great performer who grew into agreat player once he wore a green jersey.Was part of the Johnnie Giles West Brom Irish way back then.At the time they had the English internationall Laurie Cunningham,later of Real Madrid, playing and the lads called him Lovely Leitrim!!!

OwlsFan
11/08/2006, 11:54 AM
"his commitment to the cause from childhood"

Childhood is the key word there.

Ok but so long as he isn't questioning that those with English accents gave less than 100%.

Closed Account
11/08/2006, 4:56 PM
i'll get him to stick them all up on youtube:p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykp9m_zG6K8

theworm2345
11/08/2006, 4:59 PM
I am, Ill be singing it in the pub (if anyone else knows it...it would be better)
I lied--their not showing it in the pubs :mad:

Donal81
14/08/2006, 10:01 AM
Fair play to you Gary Breen. Like Kilbane, his commitment was beyond question. His talent was a matter of debate, though. "And Raul goes up against Gary Breen..." I shuddered when I heard George Hamilton say that in 2002 but Breen won it off him.

He had a phenomenal tournament but goals such as Klose's showed his shortcomings (although maybe my memory of it is fuzzy - it may have been Harte at fault). The Irish defence which was once so impressive declined under McCarthy and Breen was a part of that. But he really wanted to play and kept his best for when we really, really needed it.

The song was always a pain in the hole! Funny for the first verse or so but by the time it gets to "and number 10 is...," you just want it to end. I'll give it a blast on Wednesday, though.

tetsujin1979
14/08/2006, 10:17 AM
He had a phenomenal tournament but goals such as Klose's showed his shortcomings (although maybe my memory of it is fuzzy - it may have been Harte at fault).
It was Harte's fault, if you watch the goal again, you can see Staunton ordering him to watch Klose and he was going to close down Ballack, who was approaching with the ball. Instead he moved away from Klose to his left back position, gave him an acre of space and time to make the header.

Donal81
14/08/2006, 11:34 AM
It was Harte's fault, if you watch the goal again, you can see Staunton ordering him to watch Klose and he was going to close down Ballack, who was approaching with the ball. Instead he moved away from Klose to his left back position, gave him an acre of space and time to make the header.

Thanks for clearing that one up for me. Breen was excellent in that tournament. I still winced every time he got the ball, though. He had some shocking lapses of concentration. But if he's out of international football for good, I suppose there's no need to be too harsh on him. Given the amount of English, Scottish and Welsh-born players that have pulled on the green jersey, people like Breen are a remarkably rare breed - the Englishman who always wanted to play for Ireland. Or the Irishman who happened to be born in England...

Breen and Kilbane share a similar story, I think. Both were about 17 or 18 years of age. Both were called into their managers' office to be told that they'd been called up to some England underage side. Both said they wanted to play for Ireland. In Breen's case, his manager said thank God for that as I already told the England selector not to bother...Heartwarming stuff that shows up Kevin Nolan in an instant.

colster
14/08/2006, 11:42 AM
Thanks for clearing that one up for me. Breen was excellent in that tournament. I still winced every time he got the ball, though. He had some shocking lapses of concentration. But if he's out of international football for good, I suppose there's no need to be too harsh on him. Given the amount of English, Scottish and Welsh-born players that have pulled on the green jersey, people like Breen are a remarkably rare breed - the Englishman who always wanted to play for Ireland. Or the Irishman who happened to be born in England...

Breen and Kilbane share a similar story, I think. Both were about 17 or 18 years of age. Both were called into their managers' office to be told that they'd been called up to some England underage side. Both said they wanted to play for Ireland. In Breen's case, his manager said thank God for that as I already told the England selector not to bother...Heartwarming stuff that shows up Kevin Nolan in an instant.

Thats the thing with this grandparent rule, for every Kilbane, Breen you get you'll also get the Nolans. The rule is a good thing but it should be up to the manager and FAI to ensure it's not used and abused.

RogerMilla
14/08/2006, 12:09 PM
the only way it's abused is if the fella picked doesnt give his all when the green jersey is pulled on , now i have seen guys on here berating clinton , breen etc etc but these guys have given 110% and i hope our next english/jamaican/quadalupe born players do the same , thats all we as a support can ask for....

paul_oshea
14/08/2006, 2:10 PM
Good piece, one thing no-one could ever question is Breen's level of committment or his love of the Irish jersey.

I dont konw whether this has been mentioned before, but when breen was in school over here after ireland beat england in euro 88, he threw on the ireland jersey over his school jumper and went into school the next day with it on.....his commitment to ireland was legendary, whatever about the performances.

DotTV
14/08/2006, 2:51 PM
Gary Breen was class at the world cup and the song just topped it off.
I'll never forget being in a train station waiting for the train back to Tokyo when a hundred or so Paddies started blasting out "We All Dream..."
The Japanese there just looked bemused and then in the spirit if the whole tournament they all joined in too(as best they could)

Get Dixon out of the squad and get the New Garry Breen in, if only for the song.

Jerry The Saint
14/08/2006, 3:38 PM
The song was always a pain in the hole! Funny for the first verse or so but by the time it gets to "and number 10 is...," you just want it to end. I'll give it a blast on Wednesday, though.

I think we went up to "and Number Forty-Two is Gary Breen" once (full first-team squad + most of Ireland 'B') :D

Get Dixon out of the squad and get the New Garry Breen in, if only for the song.

Amen to that!

highlight100
16/08/2006, 10:33 PM
We could do worse than Gary Breen at the back at the moment,esp after tonights beating by the Dutch

monutdfc
16/08/2006, 10:48 PM
Breen and Kilbane share a similar story, I think. Both were about 17 or 18 years of age. Both were called into their managers' office to be told that they'd been called up to some England underage side. Both said they wanted to play for Ireland. In Breen's case, his manager said thank God for that as I already told the England selector not to bother...
Was Damien Richardson his manager at the time, at Gillingham?