PDA

View Full Version : No eL players in latest Ireland squad

Pages : [1] 2

sligoman
08/08/2006, 1:57 PM
Shock, horror! (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0808/ireland.html?rss):rolleyes:

Ireland squad: Shay Given, Paddy Kenny, Wayne Henderson, Andy O'Brien, Richard Dunne, John O'Shea, Ian Harte, Steve Finnan, Stephen Carr, Stephen Kelly, Liam Miller, Steven Reid, Graham Kavanagh, Kevin Kilbane, Alan O'Brien, Aiden McGeady, Terry Dixon, Damien Duff, Kevin Doyle, Clinton Morrison, Alan Lee, Stephen Elliott, Robbie Keane.

el punter
08/08/2006, 2:06 PM
that's disappointing

reder
08/08/2006, 2:12 PM
Dont really have a problem with that. Before you bite my head off, what player on that squad should be dropped and what EL player would make that squad stronger?

BrayUnknowns
08/08/2006, 2:15 PM
Dont really have a problem with that. Before you bite my head off, what player on that squad should be dropped and what EL player would make that squad stronger?

Jason Byrne should be in the squad ahead of Alan Lee AND young Dixon, fact. Joe Gamble should be in the squad ahead og Alan O'Brien. Both of these player would make the squad stronger.

sligoman
08/08/2006, 2:17 PM
Wayne Henderson shouldn't be in it either. He could easily be replaced by a number of keepers in the EL in my opinion.

gustavo
08/08/2006, 2:20 PM
agree with Byrne in Lee or Dixon out

Dodge
08/08/2006, 2:22 PM
Jason Byrne should be in the squad ahead of Alan Lee AND young Dixon, fact. Joe Gamble should be in the squad ahead og Alan O'Brien. Both of these player would make the squad stronger.
Both os these are the only real ones who could have a gripe. O'Callaghan, maybe, if he had a club.

Red4Eva
08/08/2006, 2:54 PM
staunton said byrne wasn't fit enough after the chile game. bit of a joke

DmanDmythDledge
08/08/2006, 3:02 PM
Byrne should have been selected ahead of Lee or Dixon for obvious reasons. I don't think Gamble has done enough this season to warrant a place in the squad.

sligoman
08/08/2006, 3:06 PM
Gotta love this guy's comment on elevenaside (http://www.elevenaside.com/polldir/result.asp).

Jason Byrne isn’t good enough for international football. Alan Lee would score 50 goals in an EL season. Until Byrne proves his worth in a classier league, he’ll never break into the national team. End of story.:rolleyes:.

hoops1
08/08/2006, 3:34 PM
Lee wouldnt get 50 but is a better player than Byrne
I have seen both loads and Lee is better

fitzknows
08/08/2006, 5:12 PM
Have never seen Wayne Henderson play so it's a bit unfair for me to say that he should be replaced as 3rd choice goalkeeper but from what I've seen of Cork City's Mick Devine he would be a worthy addition as back-up goalkeeper in the Irish squad.

Dodge
08/08/2006, 5:18 PM
Have never seen Wayne Henderson play so it's a bit unfair for me to say that he should be replaced as 3rd choice goalkeeper but from what I've seen of Cork City's Mick Devine he would be a worthy addition as back-up goalkeeper in the Irish squad.
And I'd have Devine as 3rd choice keepoer if I was picking a League squad (behind Barry Ryan and Dan Connor)

pete
08/08/2006, 5:19 PM
I think Henderson is ok to have in the squad as he is young & will gain experience.

Its an unfunny joke that Dixon & O'Brien have been included dispite never playing for the U21s.

I always judge eL players cases on who they would replace in the squad. Very unfair to drop Byrne for Lee who has shown nothing for club or country.

joema
08/08/2006, 6:20 PM
Its a joke that Byrne isnt in there - he was great against Chilie for the few minutes he got on for - what more does he have to do ffs?

Byrne should definitly be in there ahead of Dixon - IMO it would make more sense to have Dixon and O'Brien included as non-playing members of the squad.

Also what was the point in having Gamble in the Chilie squad if he didnt even get a fair chance? Gamble should be included instead of Liam Miller IMO - he badly needs a kick up the ar*e

Leeza
08/08/2006, 6:27 PM
Personally speaking I'd put Brian Gannon, David Lee, Austin Mc Cann, Shane Harte, Stephen Finnegan in that team... Okay, joking aside, Jason Byrne should be in ahead of Lee, Devine ahead of Henderson and Jason Gavin (If he's fit) ahead of Andy O'Brian.

And I'm serious about that last one. O'Brian is dung and I really don't rate him as a player at all.

Actually, Ken Oman should be in with a shot as well.

joema
08/08/2006, 6:34 PM
Personally speaking I'd put Brian Gannon, David Lee, Austin Mc Cann, Shane Harte, Stephen Finnegan in that team... Okay, joking aside, Jason Byrne should be in ahead of Lee, Devine ahead of Henderson and Jason Gavin (If he's fit) ahead of Andy O'Brian.

And I'm serious about that last one. O'Brian is dung and I really don't rate him as a player at all.

Actually, Ken Oman should be in with a shot as well.

If any CB from the el deserves to be in the squad it is Alan Bennett - if he moves to Bolton/ Ipswich Im sure he'll be in the squad - TOTAL JOKE

TonyD
08/08/2006, 8:39 PM
Can't say that this surprises me. Shows that Staunton was just playing political games in the last match in my opinion. It was window dressing to try and appeal to fans of "domestic" football. The fact is that whatever your opinion of Jason Byrne he is the same player now as he was two months ago. Maybe he is international class, maybe he isn't (though surely he is as good as Alan Lee - 50 goals a season in the EL, please!!) the point is if Staunton doesn't think he's up to it, and he clearly doesn't, why was he in the last squad ?

holidaysong
08/08/2006, 8:44 PM
Jason Byrne should be in the squad ahead of Alan Lee AND young Dixon, fact.

Spot on. Wouldn't agree with Joe Gamble though.

A face
08/08/2006, 9:43 PM
Lads ...... let them know aswell.

info@fai.ie

I think we are all agreed on Jason Byrne, he should be there .... if you think anyone else should be then let them know about them too.

monkey magic
08/08/2006, 10:05 PM
jayo should be deffo in that squad, i thing everyone agrees on that.. this has got me thinking tho - how many people on here are actually going to this game?? hows about getting some banners and a few chants together to let steve know how true irish fans feel about his leaving byrne out of the squad?

surely this would be more effective than just emailing the fai? (no offence a face)

hoops1
08/08/2006, 10:22 PM
Lee deserves to be in the squad ahead of Byrne
To many here are EL biased.
Lee is stronger,more agressive,a better header of the ball and holds it up better
Staunton has it right

4tothefloor
08/08/2006, 10:49 PM
Alan Lee was injured for the Chile game. So Staunton had a look at Byrne. Now Lee is fit again, so Staunton is having a look at him this time instead. It's as simple as that. Byrne is no better than Lee, so what are ye moaning about? Just because Byrne's an EL player :rolleyes:

Lee was actually playing some decent stuff for Ipswich when he got injured last season. Hes'a tall player who also has ariel presence, so any one who is pushing Byrne ahead of him on that basis is talking rubbish. Staunton had to drop Byrne to have a look at Lee - he was hardly going to drop any of the other strikers. As for Terry Dixon, he's a hot prospect for the future and it's fantastic that he's making the squads at this early stage. Reality check lads....

soccerc
08/08/2006, 11:01 PM
jayo should be deffo in that squad, i thing everyone agrees on that..

No we don't.

Soper
08/08/2006, 11:05 PM
4tothefloor-hows about you leave the Alan Lee analysis to someone who has a clue.I watched in nearly every home match he played for Cardiff, and he was always muck, and he will never be anything more than muck.Jason Byrne is a better player, end of.Get a clue.

superfrank
08/08/2006, 11:09 PM
Surely Jason Byrne is the most on-form Irish striker at the moment??

gustavo
08/08/2006, 11:19 PM
Exactly and Dixon is one of many fine Irish talents who will possibly be good at some point in the future but not now and its a bit of a joke him being added

Poor Student
08/08/2006, 11:46 PM
I think we need a reality check here. I've seen players performing out of their skin in the Slovenian league and they weren't up to par when it came to the Slovenian international team. Our league is on relatively the same level and our national team better. I think Alan Lee is in the squad by virtue of the fact that he offers something different i.e. an aerial presence. It's the same reason Gary Doherty ever got in. They may not be great players but they offer you a different option if needed. Dixon is believed to be a hot prospect who is also believed to be sought after by England. There's no harm at all having him in the squad. There's no point in Byrne being there. He's not good enough and he is too old to benefit from the experience of a token inclusion. You may want to make a case for a specific player but I think you're losing scope if you register real anger and shock at the lack of inclusion of an eL player in the squad.

Dodge
09/08/2006, 12:01 AM
Byrne isn't in the squad as he isn't good enough to start in the team, and as he is 28 he never will be. Staunton is building for the future.

Do we want EL players in as token gestures? If so then continue to kick up a storm.

The recalling of Carr suggests you're right. Likewise the ommision of McShane and McCarthy at centre half.

gustavo
09/08/2006, 12:12 AM
There's no point in Byrne being there. He's not good enough and he is too old to benefit from the experience of a token inclusion. .

Fair enough you dont think he is good enough , But what has Alan Lee ever done to suggest to you that he is good enough?

sullanefc
09/08/2006, 12:17 AM
I think Alan Lee is in the squad by virtue of the fact that he offers something different i.e. an aerial presence. It's the same reason Gary Doherty ever got in. They may not be great players but they offer you a different option if needed.
I've never seen this Alan Lee guy play but if you're comparing him to Gary "the ginger pele" Doherty then that says it all to me. Gary Doherty was one of the worst players to wear the green shirt and if you are saying that he is better than Jason Byrne then I hope you closed the door of the asylum when you got out.

Also, Jason Byrne would also give you that ariel option. He is good in the air and he scores goals, unlike Gary bloody Doherty.

Poor Student
09/08/2006, 12:25 AM
I think in an international squad you always need to select one out and out target man to give you that option. There's been none of any quality since Niall Quinn retired but you've got to retain that option none the less. Byrne is a good poacher in the Eircom League but he's not going to give you the aerial option for flick ons and take downs if you have to go route one in international football. I'm not saying Byrne is any better or worse than Lee or Doherty but they're fulfilling a very specific purpose. Before anyone hops in with a smart quip that purpose is a bean pole to whack high balls at.

gustavo
09/08/2006, 12:30 AM
So basically you see Lee as the man to come on when we are losing with 5 minutes to go and lob a few Hail Mary balls up to him:)

sullanefc
09/08/2006, 12:33 AM
I'm not saying Byrne is any better or worse than Lee or Doherty but they're fulfilling a very specific purpose.
But in another post you said that Byrne was not good enough, but Lee or Doherty are there for a reason????? That says to me that you think the 2 latter players are better than Byrne.

I know may seem like nit picking to you but I think Byrne could work as a target man AND he scores goals. Unlike Gary Doherty.

Actually there's a question. Did Gary Doherty ever score a goal for Ireland??

Poor Student
09/08/2006, 12:35 AM
So basically you see Lee as the man to come on when we are losing with 5 minutes to go and lob a few Hail Mary balls up to him:)

Exactly! He's 6ft 3. Sometimes you're just not penetrating a defence by playing it on the deck be it through sharp defending or your own inadequacies so you've got to go for plan B. Do you really see Jason Byrne as your man to offer something different (i.e. hoofing it) to Keane and Doyle/Morrisson if it's not working?

sullanefc
09/08/2006, 12:39 AM
Do you really see Jason Byrne as your man to offer something different (i.e. hoofing it) to Keane and Doyle/Morrisson if it's not working?
Why not? It was successful against Chile. He set up a great chance for Robbie Keane if I recall correctly.

Poor Student
09/08/2006, 12:39 AM
Actually there's a question. Did Gary Doherty ever score a goal for Ireland??

He's scored 4 goals in 30 caps but he's only started 5 times. I think the hail mary option relies more on the target man's flicking balls on that scoring. See Niall Quinn setting up Robbie Keane in World Cup 2002. I think Alan Lee is the best player to perform this very specific role.

Poor Student
09/08/2006, 12:43 AM
Why not? It was successful against Chile. He set up a great chance for Robbie Keane if I recall correctly.

I think he was being tried out as a normal partner in the mould of Doyle, Morrisson and Elliot rather than the desperate route one partner in the mould of Doherty/Lee. Do you want to take all those lads along and also take Jason Byrne and for Jayo to be your man to lump the high balls to if you want to go that route? You think Jason Byrne is the most ideal eligible player for Ireland to play the route one game with?

sullanefc
09/08/2006, 12:47 AM
I think he was being tried out as a normal partner in the mould of Doyle, Morrisson and Elliot rather than the desperate route one partner in the mould of Doherty/Lee. Do you want to take all those lads along and also take Jason Byrne and for Jayo to be your man to lump the high balls to if you want to go that route? You think Jason Byrne is the most ideal eligible player for Ireland to play the route one game with?

Yes. As I said already, he won a lot of headers against Chile and set up a chance for Keane.

Anyway, my main fear is that this Lee guy, even if he plays badly in his first few appearances will be persisted with and will be given more than one chance, unlike Jason Byrne. And we all know the reason why.

Poor Student
09/08/2006, 12:52 AM
You do know he has 8 Irish caps already don't you?

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Byrne.:)

sullanefc
09/08/2006, 12:58 AM
You do know he has 8 Irish caps already don't you?
Well QED for me then. The Irish management (Kerr & Stan) are both persisting with him. And he obviously never made an impression as I didn't even notice him ;) :p

edit: by the way, I find that really unfair that this guy has 8 caps and Byrne has only 2/3. Preference obviously for English based players :rolleyes:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Byrne.
Fair enough.

LukeO
09/08/2006, 1:54 AM
Guess what fat pimp brought Alan O'Brien over to England??

Yep... Devlin... :rolleyes:

I smell a rat... :mad:

joema
09/08/2006, 2:25 AM
Alan Lee was injured for the Chile game. So Staunton had a look at Byrne. Now Lee is fit again, so Staunton is having a look at him this time instead. It's as simple as that. Byrne is no better than Lee, so what are ye moaning about? Just because Byrne's an EL player :rolleyes:

Lee was actually playing some decent stuff for Ipswich when he got injured last season. Hes'a tall player who also has ariel presence, so any one who is pushing Byrne ahead of him on that basis is talking rubbish. Staunton had to drop Byrne to have a look at Lee - he was hardly going to drop any of the other strikers. As for Terry Dixon, he's a hot prospect for the future and it's fantastic that he's making the squads at this early stage. Reality check lads....

Sorry but that is a load of bull. Byrne was great against Chilie and has a lot to offer Ireland - surely there is room for both of them and bring Dixon along as a non playing member of the squad - btw if Dixon is so highly rated why hasnt he played reserve yet???????? Maybe its you who needs a reality check

mypost
09/08/2006, 2:27 AM
Dixon is the Theo Walcott of the Irish squad.

joema
09/08/2006, 2:30 AM
I think we need a reality check here. I've seen players performing out of their skin in the Slovenian league and they weren't up to par when it came to the Slovenian international team. Our league is on relatively the same level and our national team better. I think Alan Lee is in the squad by virtue of the fact that he offers something different i.e. an aerial presence. It's the same reason Gary Doherty ever got in. They may not be great players but they offer you a different option if needed. Dixon is believed to be a hot prospect who is also believed to be sought after by England. There's no harm at all having him in the squad. There's no point in Byrne being there. He's not good enough and he is too old to benefit from the experience of a token inclusion. You may want to make a case for a specific player but I think you're losing scope if you register real anger and shock at the lack of inclusion of an eL player in the squad.

Surely Dixon should be a non playing squad member. And what do you mean Byrne isnt good enough? He was great against Chilie - correct me if Im wrong here but arent Chilie an international side and wasnt that game an international match???

superfrank
09/08/2006, 10:50 AM
Do we want EL players in as token gestures? If so then continue to kick up a storm.
It's not a token gesture, he deserves to be in the team.

Jerry The Saint
09/08/2006, 11:21 AM
There's a bit of a Newcastle influence on the squad isn't there - OK, Shay and Duffer obviously but Al O'Brien and Carr in as well. An O'Brien has also spent time up there. A reflection of Bobby and Devlin's input into Staunton's decisions...?

“The reports from my senior players there about Alan are very good and my ‘B’ team Manager (Pat Devlin) was at the game. He had chat with the coaching staff there and they’ve been very impressed with him.”

Dodge
09/08/2006, 11:27 AM
The Alan O'Brien is very very strange. Read his wikipedia profile (not definitive I know) and see if this guy seems like he's a better player than Joe Gamble (for example)

Poor Student
09/08/2006, 11:46 AM
Someone on this board said that Devlin is O'Brien's 'advisor' or whatever that role is he ambiguously performs.

Dodge
09/08/2006, 11:55 AM
Yeah, about 6 posts before yours...