PDA

View Full Version : Ireland vs. Germany

grounded
06/08/2006, 10:28 PM
Does anyone know where the game Ireland vs. Germany on the 26th will be held? I couldnt find anything anywhere .......they were quick to annouce the change of location for our game in scotland in september but havent given a venue for the game against ireland.......:confused:

thanks

soccerc
06/08/2006, 10:44 PM
Does anyone know where the game Ireland vs. Germany on the 26th will be held? I couldnt find anything anywhere .......they were quick to annouce the change of location for our game in scotland in september but havent given a venue for the game against ireland.......:confused:

thanks

The 26th of what?

grounded
06/08/2006, 10:50 PM
26th of August ...... sorry :o

soccerc
06/08/2006, 11:09 PM
26th of August ...... sorry :o
not aware of a game against Germany at any level on 26 August but am open to correction

Superhoops
07/08/2006, 9:18 PM
not aware of a game against Germany at any level on 26 August but am open to correction
From FAI website: Ireland’s Senior Women’s team will play a friendly International against the United States in San Diego on July 23rd. The game will act as preparation for the Republic’s final group game of the World Cup qualifying campaign against Germany, which takes place in Dublin on August 26th. Link here (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=653)

Also shows Richmond Park as venue. Link here (http://www.fai.ie/womens/)

Danny
08/08/2006, 10:35 AM
its definitely in richmond
our cup game v dundalkk has to be played on the wednesday or the sunday because of it and the drogs uefa cup game

grounded
08/08/2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks a lot :)

Henry14
08/08/2006, 2:24 PM
Hi,
Ireland Senior Womens game vs Germany is on 26th August in Richmond Park Dublin. Kick Off is 1.15pm. Yes 1.15pm. Seemingly the TV Rights have been bought by German TV (over a million people watched the Germany v Ireland away game in June). Not sure if its been covered by Irish TV. I'd say tickets can be got by contacting the FAI.
Hope this helps.

NY Hoop
22/08/2006, 2:22 PM
From www.fai.ie (they still havent updated the scores of the last 2 games on the Women's section)

Women’s World Cup - Qualifier
Republic of Ireland v Germany
Richmond Park, Dublin 8
Kick-off: 13.15 hrs
*Shown as-live on Setanta Sports at 16.20 hrs

KOH

BrayUnknowns
22/08/2006, 5:16 PM
defered coverage will go out on Setanta, German TV will be screaning it live tough.

CollegeTillIDie
25/08/2006, 7:17 AM
Deferred coverage may actually = a larger audience on TV.
The problem is Ireland will be slaughtered by the Germans if the visitors are at full strength.

A face
26/08/2006, 12:18 AM
Ireland's Womens Team Set For Germany Challenge

The Germans are reigning World and European Champions, as well as being the top ranked nation currently in the World. They need a win against the Irish to keep on the heels of Group Four table-toppers Russia and enhance their chances of reaching next year's World Cup Finals in China.

The Ireland squad trained at Inchicore on Friday and King reported that his players are in good spirits on the eve of the game. "It's not often that the highest ranked team in the World comes to Dublin. Our players are really excited about the opportunity to play against Germany because they are a phenomenal outfit."

Read more at www.fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1008)

strangeirish
26/08/2006, 4:26 PM
Rep of Ireland 0-3 Germany RES

greenumbro
26/08/2006, 8:33 PM
Worst start to the game imaginable... 1-0 down after 2mins! 3-0 at half time, but still 3-0 at full time... the girls held out well in the second half, altho I think they had ALOT of luck on their side.... Prinz is just pure class.....

CollegeTillIDie
27/08/2006, 9:29 AM
Worst start to the game imaginable... 1-0 down after 2mins! 3-0 at half time, but still 3-0 at full time... the girls held out well in the second half, altho I think they had ALOT of luck on their side.... Prinz is just pure class.....

Prinz is pure class , did anyone hear her interview on Newstalk 106? I didn't manage to hear it cause I was at the game and set the thing up for Newstalk :D. Ireland were lucky not to get totally hockeyed. Although the second half performance was an improvement, Germany had the game won by that stage.

Numero
27/08/2006, 6:12 PM
The report on the fai website which says the irish sometimes matched their opponents, is not correct. The germans were on cruise control from start to finish unfortunatley. Most of the Irish girls seemed to lack any real belief that they could upset the germans

CollegeTillIDie
27/08/2006, 9:34 PM
Numero I have to agree, your comments are spot on!
Germans had two disallowed goals, plus Pohlers had a penalty saved by Emma Byrne. Realistically,without playing any worse, Ireland could have lost 6-0!

Numero
28/08/2006, 1:52 PM
Yes the score could have been much worse, no doubt about it. But the score is the least of Ireland's worries. The performance itself was generally so tired. It's easy to comment when you're not out there, but I could actually imagine players of lesser ability, with a more positive attitude, doing better than the Irish girls. Anway, hope they stay at the higher Euro level because it will help them develop and cope with the big name teams

nemi7
28/08/2006, 2:11 PM
ireland missed sumone to hold things together in midfield. the germans realised that quite quickly and exploited the space made available in the centre. the midfield was simply not good enough, end of story. the defence did the best they could but they couldn't match the fitness never mind the sheer class of the germans. prinz is such a clever player and it was a great opportunity for young fans to see her play, she pulled her marker all over the back line.

i was kinda disappointed with the tactics. king should have put o gorman up front with o toole for a while and just let her run at them cuz she was more than able to fitness wise, and considerin her age she definately wasnt afraid to run at them. o toole was wasted up front because she had no support and i thought maybe we should have tried attackin them abit more.

i was also disappointed by the comment made by sue ronan (u19a manager, she was commentator on setanta) where she said that if king had been asked before the game would he be happy with a 3 nil result against them, he would have been pleased with that. ok of course it was going to be a very very tough match and the realists among us would all have said the chances of us winning were slim, but with comments like that how are we ever expected to challenge against the bigger nations? that kind of talk affects the players directly (never mind the younger girls watching who would hope to play senior one day), king should have gone into that game tellin those girls they can win it, instead of just sittin 10 behind the ball and hopin we dont get too hammered. wrong attitude and wrong example to set.

a positive from the game is aine o gorman, delighted to see her give it her all despite playing out of position. good to see DECENT young players breaking into the side instead of just over-rated ones. though we have an awful long way to go in edging out the old and introducin the new generation, at least thats a step forward. but king would want to get off his arse and check out the talent at home for himself instead of just relyin on whispers in his ear. there are SO many home-based players who should be in that squad but have been over-looked for ridiculous reasons but unfortunately as long as king is worshiped for his mediocre work then we aren't going to get anywhere.

Numero
28/08/2006, 2:46 PM
Yeah would agree with alot of that - although I don't think the question of age is the main issue, if that is what you meant. The bulk of the squad would be less than 27/28 years old (they should be approaching their best) and I dont think the older players had particularly bad games or that the younger ones were especially good. Actually probably Olivia O'Toole and Aine O'Gorman had the best attitudes (keeper did ok too) and they are probably the oldest and youngest player!

Simply the attitude of most of the players seemed off. Yes there are plenty of players in their teens and twenties being overlooked, no doubt about it. The comments of the u-19 manager are very disappointing and just stupid. Noel King made a similar remark in the Irish Times before Irelaand played away to Russia.

nemi7
28/08/2006, 3:09 PM
Yeah would agree with alot of that - although I don't think the question of age is the main issue, if that is what you meant. The bulk of the squad would be less than 27/28 years old (they should be approaching their best) and I dont think the older players had particularly bad games or that the younger ones were especially good. Actually probably Olivia O'Toole and Aine O'Gorman had the best attitudes (keeper did ok too) and they are probably the oldest and youngest player!

Simply the attitude of most of the players seemed off. Yes there are plenty of players in their teens and twenties being overlooked, no doubt about it. The comments of the u-19 manager are very disappointing and just stupid. Noel King made a similar remark in the Irish Times before Irelaand played away to Russia.

ah no i just mean that we should be keeping our eye out for the next generation of players, and not be relying too much on our more experienced ladies!

and im not suprised king made comments like that before, really just proves the kind of manager he is.

Numero
28/08/2006, 3:15 PM
Yeah I know what you mean. The bottom line is the best players should be in the squad - be they 17 or 27 or whatever. And play to win, always. Don't help Prinz up off the ground - leave her there.

CollegeTillIDie
28/08/2006, 8:54 PM
Well Switzerland got a point from Scotland ( 1-1 on Saturday)so we are level on points with them. We have to hope that both Germany and Russia hockey the Swiss otherwise it's bye bye Elite group of nations :(

CollegeTillIDie
28/08/2006, 8:55 PM
Yeah I know what you mean. The bottom line is the best players should be in the squad - be they 17 or 27 or whatever. And play to win, always. Don't help Prinz up off the ground - leave her there.

Myles Kelly( Assistant Manager)was at Peamount V Benfica yesterday. First time, any of the Senior Women's management team set-up, have been seen at a Premier Division game this season to my knowledge. Open to correction on this point.

And I agree with your points, just illustrating for you why it isn't happening. Three of the Irish back four are USA based players , why is this? There are no UCD players in the squad, you don't win the League with crap players, surely one of them deserves a call up!

Well I don't know if the discourtesy to Prinz is necessary, but kick her first , then help her up ! :D

CollegeTillIDie
28/08/2006, 9:01 PM
The only new players on the senior team in the past few months , have been well established Under 19 international players, there are no players being discovered for the Senior team who are over 19.

Numero
28/08/2006, 9:02 PM
Just on the point regarding the group, even if Ireland finish bottom would there be a promotion/relegation play-off or just them going back down?

Yeah, I mean it's well-known that the Ireland coaches hardly ever attend the women's league matches here, its a disgrace and quite a few people in the womens game are aware of this situation

Numero
28/08/2006, 9:07 PM
Yeah agree with you there CTID about UCD. They've been winners of the league with probably the highest standard of women's football in Rep Ireland for a few years now (think they've won 2006??). Many of their players seem to be in their twenties - certainly not over the hill for an international call up if they have the ability!

And to be fair some of the u19s seem to be overlooked as well. It's not a good situation

Squeez
04/09/2006, 4:01 PM
The only new players on the senior team in the past few months , have been well established Under 19 international players, there are no players being discovered for the Senior team who are over 19.

Surely the Irish Management team should be looking at WFAI Senior Cup games to find any potential International players. I'm sure there are dozens of players playing at this level that are good enough to at least get a trial. The Senior Cup is supposed to be the most prestigous Cup in Irish womens soccer, showcasing the best teams the country has to offer... And I'm not talking about just Dublin teams, they need to look outside Leinster also!!

Actually what does a player have to do to get a trial at senior level? if a player hasn't played at underage level but is potentially an international player... Are there ever trials for the senior team or is it purely a call up basis?

pool 7
04/09/2006, 4:30 PM
The irish management needs to travel all over the country and see all the quality players we have!!Mr King is been paid full time,would it be part of his job descripion.

Number9
05/09/2006, 7:21 PM
Seems to be just as difficult to be dropped from an International panel as it is to get into it. Is it just as difficult to be dropped from a Provincial panel as it is to get on it as well?

If you've been recognised at a young age as a talented player, it appears that your future is mapped out for you. The recognised talented player seems to be accorded the benefit of the doubt when she plays badly over a period of time. She still remains a part of the setup.

"Late developers" appear to have difficulty in dislodging these recognised players.

The management, including the underage managers, need to look around the country and not rely on their annual foray to the Gaynor Cup to see young talent. The Gaynor Cup tends to exclude some very talented players - on holidays, injured, overlooked, plays with the "wrong" team, plays in the "wrong" league etc..

Take the U14s as an example. Lifford won the National Cup at this age group this year. How many of these girls made the Munster Gaynor Cup panel? They are due to play Annacotty in the Munster U14 Cup Final. How many of these girls made the Munster Gaynor Cup panel?

They should be asking the Leagues around the country who the better players are - at all age groups. They should certainly not rely on the often biased selections for the Gaynor Cup to uncover all the young talent in the country.

Numero
06/09/2006, 11:02 AM
Surely the bottom line is that FAI scouts should go to both underage and adult women's matches and see things for themselves. Current situation is just bizarre

Magicme
06/09/2006, 2:42 PM
Monaghan United's star player Charlene Graham has been called up to train with the Senior Womens team this week. We are thrilled for her and think its great that only a year into the game she is getting this chance.