PDA

View Full Version : EL is the new betting craze in Europe - Sunday Mirror

sullanefc
06/08/2006, 11:41 AM
From today's Sunday Mirror....

Eircom is a sure bet in Europe
By Niall Donald

GAMBLING-mad punters across continental Europe have a new betting obsession - the Eircom league.

The League of Ireland is facing a financial crisis because of poor match day crowds, but Euro-punters are showing their interest in Irish football - by spending more than €150,000 a week betting on the League of Ireland.

William Hill spokesman Tony Kenny said there has been an explosion in interest in the league across the continent.

He said: "Most of the punters betting on the Eircom League this summer have come from continental Europe. The betting craze is because the leagues in most European countries do not run during the summer. Less than 25 per cent of the bets placed with us would have come from Irish punters - with the UK providing another 20 per cent."

He added: "There will be more than €150,000 bet on the league across the continent every week."

Eircom League spokesman Andy Needham said he has been contacted by European radio stations looking for experts to talk about the league.

He said: "I had a call from a Greek radio station last month looking for Steve Staunton or Roy Keane to talk about the league. But instead they got Cork City manager Damien Richardson - and he did a piece for Greek radio about the Eircom League."

Mr. Needham said the European punters follow the games on the net.

He said: "I don't think there is any true interest in the matches - it is just they don't have anything else to bet on."

This got me thinking. Is there a way the league could profit from this? Providing a live feed of games to bookies on the continent? Maybe one of the TV companies doing a more comprehensive weekly show with an emphasis on betting, looking at odds etc?

Thoughts??

Gareth
06/08/2006, 11:47 AM
Well they can tune into Shelsweb from next week on, as we are covering a few games next week and slowly moving to covering the whole lot of them. Its been known for a while about the betting on the league. It is interesting isn't it!!

sullanefc
06/08/2006, 11:49 AM
Well they can tune into Shelsweb from next week on, as we are covering a few games next week and slowly moving to covering the whole lot of them. Its been known for a while about the betting on the league. It is interesting isn't it!!

Well fair play to you Gareth. It might be an idea for you to mention Shelsweb on a few European betting forums. You'd definately get visitors.

But I was thinking that the league itself could profit from this buy selling TV rights etc. Make hay while the sun shines and all that??

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2006, 12:00 PM
This is all true there are punters in the Czech Republic betting on our Premier Division each week. And in Germany they even bet on the First Division.
Quick question. Does the EL have any method of getting a small percentage of this to put back into the game? I know the FA charge for use of fixtures in things such as pools coupons. It's a nominal fee per form but it all adds up.

el punter
06/08/2006, 12:02 PM
The bookies already have people at the games providing live commentaries by phone to the bookmakers. Look closely around the ground for people on the phone all throughout the game next time you're there.

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2006, 12:09 PM
You know it was once said that pools and gambling companies across Europe would take an interest in the League if we switched to summer soccer.
This and the results in Europe improving have been proved correct, even if the other promised improvements from summer soccer such as bigger crowds did not.

soccerc
06/08/2006, 12:22 PM
There has been huge interest in the Far East too. At one time soccercentral was getting 5000 unique users per day from this region on Thursday, Friday and Saturdays with the match previews attracting lots of page impressions.

el punter
06/08/2006, 12:26 PM
Does the EL have any method of getting a small percentage of this to put back into the game? I know the FA charge for use of fixtures in things such as pools coupons. It's a nominal fee per form but it all adds up.

The league fixtures in Britain are copyrighted by the relevant league authorities. They charge a license fee to every organisation that wants to use them. Bookies pay 'per shop' for publishing the fixtures, while websites also have to buy a license.

The FAI obviously don't have such an arrangement in place. More surprising is that neither do the GAA.

Poor Student
06/08/2006, 1:59 PM
While this is obviously better than no interest in the league, I don't think it can benefit too much if at all.

dcfcsteve
06/08/2006, 5:07 PM
I sensne there's some sort of opportunity in this, but the big issue is how to realise/monetise it for the league (excuse the dull business-speak).

Our league has 2 key benefits to punters : firstly, it's one of the few Summer ones for gambling-mad football fans to bet on, and secondly it's an unusally competitive league as well, so odds will be decent.

It would need more than €150k a week being gambled on it to make any sort of initiative worthwhile, but I wouldn't be surprised if that figure continues to grow. The Euro success this season will have helped raise the profile of the league overall in Europe.

But how could the league feasibly make money out of this ? They could team-up with a specific bookies to be the official betting site - but then you'd have issues with language (not significant - I doubt anyone without some grasp of English would be betting on our league, as they'd have to do it blind) and marketing - how the hell would you reach enough punters overseas ??

GavinZac
06/08/2006, 5:10 PM
how the hell would you reach enough punters overseas ??
they find you. corkcityfc.ie is constantly inundated with visitors from eastern and southern europe

el punter
06/08/2006, 5:17 PM
But how could the league feasibly make money out of this ? They could team-up with a specific bookies to be the official betting site - but then you'd have issues with language (not significant - I doubt anyone without some grasp of English would be betting on our league, as they'd have to do it blind) and marketing - how the hell would you reach enough punters overseas ??

Sporting organizations are VERY unlikely to get involved with a betting organization as one of their main sponsors, due to the ever present possibilities of match fixing.

Multiples of an entire club's weekly wages are staked by individuals alone on these games. If a fixing scandal story were to break (as happened in the Irish League at the end of last season) the entire league would be compromised by having close links to a bookmaker.

As other poster have mentioned, a huge amount of betting on these games is carried by punters in the Far East. Language isn't really an issue. They just want to see the odds.

The FAI enforcing each bookmaker to pay for a license to publish the fixtures is the simplest way to 'monetise' betting interest.

dcfcsteve
06/08/2006, 5:18 PM
they find you. corkcityfc.ie is constantly inundated with visitors from eastern and southern europe

But by then they'll already be gambling on the league through some local site.

You need to get them before they have a preferred site, and get them to use the joint EL/Bookies one instead. Or at least convert them over to the EL site.

GavinZac
06/08/2006, 5:33 PM
But by then they'll already be gambling on the league through some local site.

You need to get them before they have a preferred site, and get them to use the joint EL/Bookies one instead. Or at least convert them over to the EL site.

if you get them to subscribe and in exchange they receive the various stats/form/latest news etc. they'd stay. because thats what they want usually.

el punter
06/08/2006, 5:54 PM
if you get them to subscribe and in exchange they receive the various stats/form/latest news etc. they'd stay. because thats what they want usually.

all of which is available free of charge elsewhere

GavinZac
06/08/2006, 6:08 PM
all of which is available free of charge elsewhereapparantly not, since they constantly come to our forums asking for information. even so, the information would also be free of charge from this hypothetical FAI betting site, and translated to various languages - the only catch is that they've registered so when they check out the info the "bet now" button is just a few pixels away.

el punter
06/08/2006, 6:37 PM
so when they check out the info the "bet now" button is just a few pixels away.

reminds me a little of someone else's site...ahem :)

lofty9
07/08/2006, 8:33 AM
The bookies already have people at the games providing live commentaries by phone to the bookmakers. Look closely around the ground for people on the phone all throughout the game next time you're there.

I was chatting to a guy from Malaysia at half time at a game and he was providing commentry to a bookmakers back home when Derry played Drogheda in the league cup. PS Derry won 4 - 0. I wonder how much betting went on in that game?

beskintos
07/08/2006, 8:40 AM
Betting on EL matches usually provides me with another salary each month.:D I'm moderate punter but good at it.
EL seems predictable to me. Probably because of fair play, no such thing as arranged result in EL makes it a whole lot easier.:)

el punter
07/08/2006, 10:25 AM
Betting on EL matches usually provides me with another salary each month.:D I'm moderate punter but good at it.
EL seems predictable to me. Probably because of fair play, no such thing as arranged result in EL makes it a whole lot easier.:)

Looking forward to you sharing your expertise with us here so we can all get an extra salary Beskintos :)

Philly
07/08/2006, 11:52 AM
I work for Running-Ball - http://www.running-ball.com/ . Basically I update somebody in the far east on whats going on at Kildare County FC matches and get paid £50 - about €70-75 to do so. There is alot of interest in the eL abroad it seems.

Stuttgart88
07/08/2006, 11:58 AM
Get a foreign bookie to sponsor the league?

Sell the live TV rights to bookies shops?

Philly
07/08/2006, 12:03 PM
Well the company I work for requires two people to provide updates per match - so a club could make about €150 per game off that if they provided updates themselves. That is probably as far as potential income for clubs goes though. Remember - those in Europe and Asia don't see the matches, the hoardings, the jerseys etc. The just see a bunch of stats and the chance of winning a few bob.

On a lighter note - they do call the club "Chill Dara FC"!!

chippie0001
07/08/2006, 1:16 PM
What goes on in bookies is small fry. The Bohs v Shels game already has over €46k matched tonight on the result. There is still almost 6 hours to kick off. I won't be surprised if the bets tally to almost €100k on what we would regard as a mickey mouse game. There is money to be made on LOI bets for fans on betfair, so many back just odds with no research. Shels 1/2 tonight are great odds.

ifk101
07/08/2006, 1:28 PM
I'd be a bit wary of foreign betting on LOI matches as I believe there would be a high "match-fixing" risk - esp. given the high number of part-timers in the league. If it can happen in Finland, probably one of the least corrupt countries in the world, it can happen here.

Dodge
07/08/2006, 1:30 PM
What goes on in bookies is small fry. The Bohs v Shels game already has over €46k matched tonight on the result. There is still almost 6 hours to kick off. I won't be surprised if the bets tally to almost €100k on what we would regard as a mickey mouse game. There is money to be made on LOI bets for fans on betfair, so many back just odds with no research. Shels 1/2 tonight are great odds.
Can you imagine what it'd be like if it was in running? Betting on the LOI is my most profitable area. Odds are based on tables and not much more (bar JC's paddypower odds obviously)

chippie0001
07/08/2006, 1:33 PM
Can you imagine what it'd be like if it was in running? Betting on the LOI is my most profitable area. Odds are based on tables and not much more (bar JC's paddypower odds obviously)

Yeah the league would be mine too. Have got my last 10 LOI bets up and its a handy way to earn cash. Especially on betfair where the odds are so much better and so much money there on the games.

Philly
07/08/2006, 1:53 PM
It is "in running" with some companies! The odds change depending on the flow of the games etc...

el punter
07/08/2006, 2:06 PM
The Betfair figures are some what misleading as 'matched bets' includes both sides of the wager. eg Eur100 at 2/1 shows as Eur300 matched. This is not the standard definition of turnover - a bookie would only show this as Eur100 wagered.

There are 5 figures bets placed by individuals alone on LOI in Asia. Hardly small fry :)

Shels at 1/2 on Betfair is no great value compared to the prices offered by traditional bookmakers on the game. In fairness alot of the odds on betfair come from people just putting up bookies prices and trying to lay them, and of course there's a ~5% commission to be deducted should you back a winner.

As for in-running, well every televised game is covered by Paddy Power, Stan James and plenty more. But as Philly says, all the guys with the phones at the games are providing updates for an in-running service.

If you can get an account with one of these asian bookies its the quickest way to get the latest scores on the games as they obviously don't mess about like Aertel!

Réiteoir
07/08/2006, 4:46 PM
Got back from Norway today - and picked up an odds leaflet from a Narvesen (basically a kiosk/newsagent that doubles as a bookies - via a terminal like those used to do the Lottery tickets)

There are odds in there for all the Premier games played on the weekend - as well as they are offering odds for the Bohs - Shels League Cup game tonight

Have won cash in previous years betting on eL games whilst in Norway.

And to cap it all - picked up a copy of the biggest daily paper there one day last week - to find they had a preview on the Drogheda - Shels match, as well as all the other games played on Friday

el punter
07/08/2006, 5:08 PM
Seems there more interest in our league abroad than at home.

Réiteoir
07/08/2006, 5:45 PM
Tonight's odds courtesy of the Norsk Tipping Website:

Shelbourne - Bohemians Dublin (http://www.norsk-tipping.no/gar/wco?event=GETGAMEINFO&game_id=12&DrawID=-1&#)

Home: 1,45
Away: 4,35
Draw at 90 mins: 3,05

-Bray-
07/08/2006, 5:48 PM
I work for Running-Ball - http://www.running-ball.com/ . Basically I update somebody in the far east on whats going on at Kildare County FC matches and get paid £50 - about €70-75 to do so. There is alot of interest in the eL abroad it seems.

Thats cool. wat exactly do you have to do?

JC_GUFC
07/08/2006, 6:37 PM
The Betfair figures are some what misleading as 'matched bets' includes both sides of the wager. eg Eur100 at 2/1 shows as Eur300 matched. This is not the standard definition of turnover - a bookie would only show this as Eur100 wagered.

Shels at 1/2 on Betfair is no great value compared to the prices offered by traditional bookmakers on the game. In fairness alot of the odds on betfair come from people just putting up bookies prices and trying to lay them, and of course there's a ~5% commission to be deducted should you back a winner.

I'll join in this betfair bashing too! ;)

If you scout around you quite often a price with a bookmaker that is as good as if not better than what you'll get on betfair even before commission is taken into account.
You just have to get on early in the week because most bookmakers don't stand their eL prices to as much as they would other matches. Boyles 15/8 Shels for last weekend was gone before Friday morning!!

In PP generally at least 3 of the Premier Division games each weekend will have 5-figure turnover on them.

That said sometimes there is outstanding value on Betfair for games, unfortunately it mostly revolved around Dublin City!
The bet of the century was Dublin City v Bohs which on betfair was priced as an away game for Bohs!!! (Just shy of 2/1)

PP also always has 1st goalscorer etc for all Premier games - in fact I think there are 34 markets for every Premier Division match which no-one else has.

Of course the fact that the person pricing it actually has a clue is a disadvantage to all the punters!!! ;)

JC_GUFC
07/08/2006, 6:41 PM
Just to add, that anyone looking for livescores on the net

www.xscores.com

and

www.futbol24.com

both have live updates of all league games (Premier and 1st)

When Finn Harps scored in the 2nd minute yesterday they both had the goal while Aertel still had 'Finn Harps v Kilkenny' :rolleyes:

J

pete
08/08/2006, 12:09 PM
Surely the league should be getting some sort of cut from betting revenues simialr to the horse racing industry? Is the horse racing industry getting the eL's cut from bets?

chippie0001
11/08/2006, 4:48 PM
I'll join in this betfair bashing too! ;)

If you scout around you quite often a price with a bookmaker that is as good as if not better than what you'll get on betfair even before commission is taken into account.
You just have to get on early in the week because most bookmakers don't stand their eL prices to as much as they would other matches. Boyles 15/8 Shels for last weekend was gone before Friday morning!!

In PP generally at least 3 of the Premier Division games each weekend will have 5-figure turnover on them.

That said sometimes there is outstanding value on Betfair for games, unfortunately it mostly revolved around Dublin City!
The bet of the century was Dublin City v Bohs which on betfair was priced as an away game for Bohs!!! (Just shy of 2/1)

PP also always has 1st goalscorer etc for all Premier games - in fact I think there are 34 markets for every Premier Division match which no-one else has.

Of course the fact that the person pricing it actually has a clue is a disadvantage to all the punters!!! ;)

Just a quick comparison of the odds for the betfair bashers, you can back Shels v Cork tonight at 1.92 so €100 stake after commission returns €87.40, where as with Powers the same stake only returns €61.58.

Thats a massive difference to us poor punters, shame JC is ripping us all off :eek:

Dodge
11/08/2006, 4:56 PM
And more if you have your betfair points up

el punter
11/08/2006, 10:08 PM
Just a quick comparison of the odds for the betfair bashers, you can back Shels v Cork tonight at 1.92 so €100 stake after commission returns €87.40, where as with Powers the same stake only returns €61.58.

Thats a massive difference to us poor punters, shame JC is ripping us all off :eek:

Not every bookmaker was a short as 8/13. Many were 4/5, and they could be backed at 10/11 (same as 1.92) if you looked hard enough - with zero commission of course.

Betfair is one tool in a punters armoury - it should not be the only tool.

Ceirtlis
11/08/2006, 11:43 PM
Where you can get an asian handicap of -0.5 on a team on betfair you should take it instead of a straight win as asian handicaps are only 1% commision. Overall i find that Asian handicaps offer much better value than straight betting. The best way to bet on the el as was said earlier is to get in early. Alot of the foreign bookies have the games priced as early as Tuesday.

wws
12/08/2006, 4:49 PM
but u cant get in early on the exchanges

as theres fack all cash on board a few days b4 d games