PDA

View Full Version : Mountjoy Turning into a bloodbath

Block G Raptor
04/08/2006, 2:11 PM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0804/mountjoy.html
yet another stabbing in mountjoy (12pm today) what in the name of christ is going on in there and where are the prison wardens. I know these guy's are convicted Criminals but aren't they entitled to be protected like everyone else

pete
04/08/2006, 2:57 PM
Sack the Warden. He has failed his duty of care.

Yes, they are criminals & yes they are entiled to have saft boarding.

I've heard some brief details but seems strange that a prisoner asking for protection put into a cell with 6-7 others...

Macy
08/08/2006, 11:24 AM
Sack the Warden. He has failed his duty of care.

Sack the Minister of Justice for closing prisons meaning either overcrowding (as when yer man was stabbed) or a revolving door (as since the media coverage and the need to spin there's not overcrowding).

pete
08/08/2006, 12:24 PM
I think Lonergan often gets a free ride on the media as he is a nice guy. If the prison is over crowded he should refuse to accept anymore prisoners & then would be the Ministers problem.

Its getting to be like a bad Hollywood prision movie.

We need some sort of work farm out in the bogs as some prisioners [probably not of the violent type.

Dodge
08/08/2006, 12:29 PM
I think Lonergan often gets a free ride on the media as he is a nice guy. If the prison is over crowded he should refuse to accept anymore prisoners & then would be the Ministers problem.
As a civil servant he can't say no to ministers orders.

We need some sort of work farm out in the bogs as some prisioners [probably not of the violent type.

yeah but they still have to sleep somewhere...

Macy
08/08/2006, 12:38 PM

He can't refuse to accept more prisoners, and it is the Ministers problem as he shut Spike Island and the Curragh prisons. The courts continue to sentence people to prison. You can also blame the current Minister for failing to introduce effective non-custodial punishments - I'd say the people in prison for non-payment of fines would free up a fair bit of space too.

Lonergan gets respect because he talks about the reasons why people are in prison, and about addressing those issues so people don't end up in prison.

dfx-
08/08/2006, 1:35 PM
My experience as a transition year student touring around Mountjoy for an hour was enough to put me off the place for one million and one years.:eek:

An awful place in a diabolical state and that's probably five years ago now. The guards were also giving out about how little they see of Lonergan and that he's a lovely man for the press..

pete
08/08/2006, 4:29 PM
Prisons are there to punish people as rehabition is a joke. However prisoners are entiled to be safe too.

The Minister has overall responsibility but i do not buy this "cannot say no idea" as sure hasn't Lonergan got a union rep? ;)

Macy
09/08/2006, 7:18 AM
The Minister has overall responsibility but i do not buy this "cannot say no idea" as sure hasn't Lonergan got a union rep? ;)
Like IBEC and other high end "associations", I don't think the AHCPS likes to be called a union pete.

I do think you have a point to a certain extent, however, you'd need all the rest of the Governors to follow the same course for it to have any effect. I'm sure there's plenty just waiting to stab him in the back and get the promotion. It does take away from the blame of the man who has blood on his hands - he was the one who closed prisons in an attempt to bully prison officers into accepting a pay deal.

el punter
10/08/2006, 12:13 AM
My experience as a transition year student touring around Mountjoy for an hour was enough to put me off the place for one million and one years.:eek:

I played in a rock band that played a gig to the 'lifers' there a few years ago in the prison. A strange but enjoyable experience. Apparently the lifers (C Wing I think) are the most reserved sector in there as they are all pretty settled in there and have nothing to prove to each other like the skangers in and out on short stretches are.

clonboy
11/08/2006, 11:10 PM
Believe me it's a dreadful place to be. When I was there things were calmer but the sooner the new prison gets going the better. It's crazy to make people **** in pots these days and the smells and noise and the conditions are disgusting. Nobody should have to live in these conditions no matter what they have done.

I've been in the Midlands Prison too and although day to day life is similar it is a much better place to be - much cleaner and more modern and basic stuff like toilets in cells and all that. There are less drugs there too and some things are a bit stricter like visiting.

Ringo
12/08/2006, 7:03 AM
i'd be a lot more concerned about the revolving door system, than the conditions. The sooner the new prison is built the better. We'll be able to keep people locked up for their full sentence. Maybe move some of the perverts from Arbour Hill to the Joy, if the conditions are so bad.