PDA

View Full Version : Jon Douglas

Leeza
04/08/2006, 12:19 AM
What do you think? Will the man from Clones make it either in the Premiership or for Ireland?

Stuttgart88
04/08/2006, 11:49 AM
Is he back at Blackburn? This morning's Guardian suggests he is. He did well enough at Leeds last year.

He doesn't have Liam Miller's skill but is far more combative and more up for the physical demands of English football.

Good enough for international football? Not now but a useful squad member. Hopefully being back at Blackburn is a sign that Hughes has faith in him & sees potential.

Red&White Rover
04/08/2006, 12:18 PM
He started well for us last year, but faded away as the season progressed.

DubinLondon
04/08/2006, 12:18 PM
He impressed last year at Leeds but not sure he is good enough for the Premiership?

Leeza
04/08/2006, 7:38 PM
He seems to be a pretty good all rounder though. Not particularly fantastic in any particular style of play.

DmanDmythDledge
05/08/2006, 1:16 PM
He started well for us last year, but faded away as the season progressed.
He was at Sligo?:eek:

dynamo kerry
10/09/2007, 12:21 PM
can we get one thing clear about Job douglas.

many folk have been saying he hasn't been getting his game for leeds this season.

He's played 5 of Leeds' 6 games this year. He is NOT short of match practice. At least no more so than anyone else in the squad.

If anything he's short of international experience and possibly the quality. But that's another matter.

If anyone wants to tell us his probable benefit, what we could bring to the team that would be most helpful!

Just stop saying he's not getting his game at leeds. he is first choice ffs!
(not saying much mind you - but they have won 5 from 5)

Lionel Ritchie
10/09/2007, 12:34 PM
can we get one thing clear about Job douglas.

many folk have been saying he hasn't been getting his game for leeds this season.

He's played 5 of Leeds' 6 games this year. He is NOT short of match practice. At least no more so than anyone else in the squad.

If anything he's short of international experience and possibly the quality. But that's another matter.

If anyone wants to tell us his probable benefit, what we could bring to the team that would be most helpful!

Just stop saying he's not getting his game at leeds. he is first choice ffs!
(not saying much mind you - but they have won 5 from 5)

I'm a Leeds supporter and Douglas is well liked at Leeds I'd say. That we weren't relegated much earlier last season was due in no small part to his efforts. He was carrying an injury through much of the pre-season apparently and most Leeds supporters (I'm guessing) expected he'd be leaving for a decent championship side at least. I'm pretty pleased he's staying.

As for what he brings to the party for Ireland ...he's strong and will put himself about. Maybe not the most gifted footballer we have but those other qualities aren't to be sniffed at. Though he is playing third flight football now and until that changes he has, to my mind, no right to be expecting to make the Ireland squad.

Like most others I think Stan was wrong to bring him on when he did the other night as we needed more creativity and to get the ball forward in search of a third.

bennocelt
10/09/2007, 7:58 PM
i dont rate him at all, and that was even before Sats game, just hasnt got what it takes to play for a top team

cheifo
10/09/2007, 8:06 PM
His home club Monaghan utd dont get the crowds but play some neat football and are improving.If played in his proper position he could do a job for them if somebody gets injured.

head the ball
10/09/2007, 8:14 PM
I like Jon Douglas as he is from my neck of the woods.
He is a good tackler, good stamina but little pace and no creativity.
He is a good championship player at most. He is not international class imo and in the context of the match on Sat he should not have come on, but that is Stan's fault with this long memory nonsense. (he turned up when others did not)
Dont be surprised to see him figure on wed as well as he did well against Czechs at Lansdowne last year (when a lot of regularts were missing) and Stan likes to reward loyalty.
Oh did I mention that Stan is a bolox as well.

rambler14
10/09/2007, 8:47 PM
Hes Leeds captain i think. It's either him or Alan Thompson.
He has ability, hes too good for Leeds, i was dissappointed to say the least not to see him move on during the transfer window. He mightn't be a premiership player but he is a top team championship player, should be playing with a Sheff Utd or a Watford or West Brom.

drummerboy
11/09/2007, 8:07 AM
Very average Championship player. No more. Should only be used for Ireland in extreme emergencies, otherwise forget about him.

monutdfc
11/09/2007, 9:32 AM
His home club Monaghan utd dont get the crowds but play some neat football and are improving.If played in his proper position he could do a job for them if somebody gets injured.
His home town club is Clones Town; he has done a job for Monaghan United in the past though. As did his brother Simon before he returned to Clones Town.

I hope to be proved wrong but from what I've seen of him I think he's a decent Championship level player but not English Premiership or top international class.

elroy
11/09/2007, 9:35 AM
Reminds me of graham kavanagh in a way, good battler, not particularly skillful. Def not premiership standard though.

mackannovic
11/09/2007, 10:03 AM
I hate the sight of Jonathon Douglas and it's not purely because his face looks like it's being mashed against a window but also the fact that he is technically useless. There is so much wrong there it's amazing how he bacame a professional footballer, this notion that he's a good tackler and he has an excellent workrate is b0llox. The only reason people say this is because he spends most of his time chasing the balls he's given away, as for his workrate where was he for the goal on Saturday only strollingh in midfield despite being brought on as a fresh pair of legs. For me he's the new Gary Doherty.

WembleyGreen
11/09/2007, 10:27 AM
Good lower division player but not premiership or international standard. Staunton made a mistake bringing him on on sat. He looked like lamped rabbit when chech came at him instead of tracking him and making a tackle he ran away from him? Whatever he does for Leeds is irrelevent he's simply not good enough at international level, Leeds are now a 3rd div side playing against opposition who at best Eircom lge level and at worst Eircom 1st Div. Unless we are absolutely desperate, players of this standard shouldn't even be in the squad never mind the bloody team! PS, and I'm a Leeds supporter!

backstothewall
11/09/2007, 7:29 PM
Even now i would say Colin Healy has more chance of making it in the premiership

rambler14
11/09/2007, 7:32 PM
Colin Healy is too good 4 city. He was only brought in to make a profit.

dynamo kerry
11/09/2007, 8:18 PM
I hate the sight of Jonathon Douglas and it's not purely because his face looks like it's being mashed against a window but also the fact that he is technically useless. There is so much wrong there it's amazing how he bacame a professional footballer, this notion that he's a good tackler and he has an excellent workrate is b0llox. The only reason people say this is because he spends most of his time chasing the balls he's given away, as for his workrate where was he for the goal on Saturday only strollingh in midfield despite being brought on as a fresh pair of legs. For me he's the new Gary Doherty.
how many times have you actually seen him play??

(cue - "I watch every game he's plays" type claims

razor
12/09/2007, 8:02 AM
Colin Healy is too good 4 city. Not yet he's not but heres hoping.

mackannovic
12/09/2007, 9:17 AM
how many times have you actually seen him play??

(cue - "I watch every game he's plays" type claims

Quite a bit. I'm a Blackburn fan and was actually quite eager to see what he was like seeing as he was irish and really came out of nowhere into Souness' squad. Saw him play for Blackburn at Ewood a few times a couple of years back and can easily say he was the worst player on the pitch, made a a note to myself that he wouldn't be at Rovers long and he'd probably end up playing lower leagues. Saw him in a few championship games last season for Leeds and my opinion hasn't changed.

Stuttgart88
12/09/2007, 9:27 AM
What do you think of Steven Reid?

paul_oshea
12/09/2007, 9:40 AM

Lovely fella.

mackannovic
12/09/2007, 9:46 AM

When fit he's excellent. Was really missed last season, probably our best player in 05/06 when we finished 6th. He's no Xabi Alonso but he can pass the ball, is a real box-to-box worker and has the physical presence of a centre back with pace. The only thing I can criticise him on is that on occasion his touch let him down particularly when running forward with the ball at pace which is probably what let him down playing wide. He did however seem to curb that a bit before his injury though. Last season was to be a big year for him and it was a shame he was injured because he was starting to get some real deserved recognition.

Stuttgart88
12/09/2007, 9:50 AM
Thanks, sorry, I hadn't seen your response on the other thread.

Lionel Ritchie
22/03/2008, 8:32 PM
Jonathan Douglas made his first team comeback this evening playing the last 10 minutes of Leeds 2-0 win over Walsall. Had a few touches but rightly took it nice and handy.
I hope he can stay fit now and find a bit of form. If he can help get Leeds back up then he's back in the picture.

Razors left peg
22/03/2008, 8:51 PM
Jonathan Douglas made his first team comeback this evening playing the last 10 minutes of Leeds 2-0 win over Walsall. Had a few touches but rightly took it nice and handy.
I hope he can stay fit now and find a bit of form. If he can help get Leeds back up then he's back in the picture.

I really think hes nowhere near good enough to be an international footballer

NeilMcD
22/03/2008, 10:15 PM
I would go as far as saying that if Trap picks Douglas to start or even in a sqaud, I think the early stages of the big A would be kicking in. Douglas is a clogger and no more. He is at his level.

Lionel Ritchie
23/03/2008, 9:33 AM
Lots of people who aren't actually up to it get to play international football. I'll agree he has no business playing for Ireland if he's playing third flight football though. But I think he brings something to the party IF he's playing consistently at a higher level.

Talking of levels -no way has he found his level in L1. Leeds would've been relegated out of the Championship far earlier but for the likes of Douglas -as the warm reception he got when he came on last night bears out.

OwlsFan
24/03/2008, 9:15 AM
The best player on the pitch in that Leeds vs Walsall game was Neil Kilkenny. He was eligible to play internationally for Australia, England and us. Alas he committed to play for Australia :( Douglas is just back from a long term injury and did nothing much in the few minutes he was given as a sub (big welcome back from the Leeds fans) so we'll have to wait and see how he progresses.

Paddy Garcia
24/03/2008, 11:48 AM
Unless they are kids making a breakthrough I don't think we should be looking to journeymen in this division. Neither Douglas nor Kilkenny fit the bill.

Having said that .. beggers and all that...

Lionel Ritchie
24/03/2008, 12:32 PM
Unless they are kids making a breakthrough I don't think we should be looking to journeymen in this division. Neither Douglas nor Kilkenny fit the bill.

Having said that .. beggers and all that...

I dunno where else Neil Kilkenny has been but moving across the water from Monaghan aside -the furthest footballing journey Douglas has taken is the fifty or so miles from Blackburn to Leeds. ;)

GavinZac
24/03/2008, 1:22 PM
Colin Healy is too good 4 city. He was only brought in to make a profit.

:confused: We signed a good player just to make a profit? Because, you know, we're selling so many Colin Healy jersies in Thailand?