PDA

View Full Version : Reeling in the years

nshoop
03/08/2006, 5:24 PM
Has to be one of the best if not the best program rte have come up with!Top pictures and music,just a pity they can never bring out a dvd set:(

Maz
03/08/2006, 7:08 PM
Addicted to this programme each evening....its brilliant!

dfx-
03/08/2006, 7:53 PM
Safe to say I've watched every one of them at this stage, haven't seen one in ages though..

Probably watched the 80s more than anything. Just switch off when the annual Gah-fest comes on.

Paddyfield
03/08/2006, 8:52 PM
Pity they don't show clips from FAI Cup final. Today's programme was 1991 - the year Galway Utd beat Shamrock Rovers in Lansdowne Road:p

pineapple stu
03/08/2006, 8:58 PM
15 years since my first LoI game... :eek:

sligoman
03/08/2006, 11:53 PM
Think this programme is ****e to be honest. So boring.

gustavo
04/08/2006, 12:02 AM
I think its a great programme! A lot of memories come back and in the case of the 60s and 70s ones its interesting to see the changing face of the country

nshoop
04/08/2006, 12:12 AM
Think this programme is ****e to be honest. So boring.

How is it boring?Each topic is brief and the music and pictures are combined perfectly!It and paths to freedom are the two best programs that I've ever seen on rte.

sligoman
04/08/2006, 12:14 AM
It and paths to freedom are the two best programs that I've ever seen on rte.That's just cos Rats is a hoop isn't it?:p :D.

nshoop
04/08/2006, 12:18 AM
That's just cos Rats is a hoop isn't it?:p :D.

Rats is king,but seriously ptf is class.I have the dvd of all six episodes and I never get bored watching it.

sligoman
04/08/2006, 12:20 AM
I've only seen one episode so far and I must admit, it was class:D. What night's does it be on?

dfx-
04/08/2006, 12:21 AM
That's just cos Rats is a hoop isn't it?:p :D.

An added bonus..:p

nshoop
04/08/2006, 12:23 AM
I've only seen one episode so far and I must admit, it was class:D. What night's does it be on?

I think they've been showing it on sunday at 9 on rte2,almost certain.

Ash
04/08/2006, 9:01 AM
I only caught 5 mins of it the other day and was in stitches.
Rats was on the train to Belfast and reckoned it'd take 50something
hours to get there. He had the autographed jersey on.

Is it available to rent on xtravision/chartbusters?

Anto McC
05/08/2006, 10:42 AM
Reeling in the years is quality,Paths to freedom however is sh*te!

nshoop
05/08/2006, 2:06 PM
Reeling in the years is quality,Paths to freedom however is sh*te!

I hope your taking the p*ss with your paths to freedom statement,6 episodes of pure brilliance!

anto eile
05/08/2006, 7:49 PM
reeling in the years.excellent programme.
paths to freedom. pure quality. rats is a (Hooped) legend.
great quote (one of many)
jeremy "do you play golf Rats?",
Rats "yeah" ,
jeremy "whats your handicap?" ,
Rats "eh, i just had a few scoops"

thejollyrodger
05/08/2006, 7:57 PM
some of the shows are excellent !!

nshoop
05/08/2006, 8:08 PM
reeling in the years.excellent programme.
paths to freedom. pure quality. rats is a (Hooped) legend.
great quote (one of many)
jeremy "do you play golf Rats?",
Rats "yeah" ,
jeremy "whats your handicap?" ,
Rats "eh, i just had a few scoops"

Classic!

Anto McC
05/08/2006, 9:37 PM
I hope your taking the p*ss with your paths to freedom statement,6 episodes of pure brilliance!

Not one bit,i've found the whole "get some bloke to say something slightly funny in a thick Dublin accent" thing quiet tiresome since The Commitments.
Medicore at best :)

nshoop
05/08/2006, 11:30 PM
Not one bit,i've found the whole "get some bloke to say something slightly funny in a thick Dublin accent" thing quiet tiresome since The Commitments.
Medicore at best :)

God you're popping up everywhere,there is more to it than that.The writing is very clever as are the characters and it's clear they put a lot of effort in to it in terms of scenes and whatnot and it paid off.It's top quality and the commitments was very good.

Anto McC
06/08/2006, 10:24 AM
If you think so,at the end of the day it's a matter of opinion so neither one of us is right or wrong!

You've gone this whole thread so far without slagging Bohs,i'd say you're itching to do it :p

nshoop
06/08/2006, 3:09 PM
If you think so,at the end of the day it's a matter of opinion so neither one of us is right or wrong!

You've gone this whole thread so far without slagging Bohs,i'd say you're itching to do it :p

Not at all,sure I'd be one of the hoops fans that hates bohs the least,after all I'm from the good side of the liffey!

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2006, 5:00 PM
Well there was a Dubliner on the bridge of the Starship in Star Trek :The Next Generations ! :D
Not at all,sure I'd be one of the hoops fans that hates bohs the least,after all I'm from the good side of the liffey!What's the difference between Northside girls and Southside girls?

Northsiders have fake jewellery but REAL orgasms!:D

anto eile
07/08/2006, 7:17 PM
Well there was a Dubliner on the bridge of the Starship in Star Trek :The Next Generations ! :
and he was a Hoop too :D

commitments, my favorite film f all time. classic. and a brilliant soundtrack too.

mypost
07/08/2006, 7:31 PM
How is it boring?Each topic is brief and the music and pictures are combined perfectly.

I have all the episodes from the 90's decade on tape, since when they were originally broadcast in Autumn 2000. :)

Great show, let down occasionally by too much focus on paramilitary activities in Northern Ireland. :(

Magicme
08/08/2006, 10:07 AM
I love Reeling in the Years....I watch it most evenings with my sons and tell them how old I was at that stage and what else was happening in my life to put it in context for them. They are learning so much from it!

Drumcondra Red
08/08/2006, 1:19 PM
I bet you bore the bejaysus out of them!!!

jebus
06/04/2007, 5:46 PM
Resurrecting this thread on the grounds that Reeling in the Years is entertaining me right now, I've just found out there will never be a DVD of this show, and well it's Easter after all.

Back to the show though and I can honestly say that my favourite part is finding out what year they are doing when you turn it on, well that and the terrible fashion mistakes this country has made

Lionel Ritchie
06/04/2007, 6:40 PM
I think RITY is class. The lack of a narrator helps make it special.

I do like that it features much of the worst of the troubles -often with a tune from the charts of the day as counterpoint. It could be quite a chilling illustration of the way the world keeps on spinning regardless of how many lives get wrecked. I have particularly strong memory of footage from "Black Wednesday" 1974 where a cop holds a bin liner open while another uses a snow shovel to lift an arm with a chunk of ribcage/chest/shoulder attached
and drops it in. Down Down by Status Quo pumps away in the background.

On a lighter note -had to laugh my arsé off at the footage of Horslips doing the tune for an Orange Soda drink. Hope Orange Marinda didn't taste as cheesy as it looked.

Tend to roll my eyes when the unneccessarily long footage from this that and the other All-Ireland comes on. Barely a nod to football unless it's 1988 or 1990. Though they did show Armstrongs goal against Spain for the north on it tonight.

bennocelt
06/04/2007, 9:19 PM
Has to be one of the best if not the best program rte have come up with!Top pictures and music,just a pity they can never bring out a dvd set:(

alas, RTE didnt come up with this one, as ever BBC 2 had a very silimar show like this about 15 years ago, early on a sunday morning i think

skitz3
07/04/2007, 7:52 AM
I watched it last night myself. Did you see the head on Bertie and watching Charlie climb a ladder to shake your mans hand when he was out canvassing for votes :D

Lionel Ritchie
07/04/2007, 8:03 AM
alas, RTE didnt come up with this one, as ever BBC 2 had a very silimar show like this about 15 years ago, early on a sunday morning i think

I was thinking there was something similar out there. Was it "The Rock'N'Roll Years"?

Pauro 76
07/04/2007, 9:46 AM
Great show, I always catch when I head home. Love them showing classic adverts too!