PDA

View Full Version : Building Foundations in Europe

A face
02/08/2006, 9:53 PM
Building Foundations in Europe

The eircom League received a much needed boost over the last two days when our European representatives pulled off two wins and an away score draw to further enhance the League's reputation in Europe. The good news on the pitch comes on back of a bad couple of weeks off the pitch. Cork City and Derry City recorded home and away victories respectfully and Drogheda United held out for an away score draw in Helsinki. The question now is can they finish the job?

Have you ever tried to get a builder to comeback and finish a job? Well if my experience is anything to go by the professionals come back and the cowboys don’t. The same could be asked of Cork, Drogheda and Derry, can all three finish the job? As professional clubs the expectation is to now step up to the mark and finish the job.

Read more at www.pfai.ie (http://www.pfai.ie/index.php?mod=one&id=15269&PHPSESSID=159ae1eea3c9fb490b476fe985e468c6)

SPXcyan
02/08/2006, 10:05 PM
Well Irish clubs can now get past the 1st Q round fairly consistently now which is great stuff!! the 2nd Q rnd of the champions league is always very hard!! just look at the teams we have come across lately!! the uefa cup is abit easier and should be reaching the 1st round alot now! I hope :) I think the future is mighty bright for irish clubs in europe :D cant wait to see our first irish club in the group stage!!

Risteard
02/08/2006, 10:18 PM
Well Irish clubs can now get past the 1st Q round fairly consistently now which is great stuff!! the 2nd Q rnd of the champions league is always very hard!! just look at the teams we have come across lately!! the uefa cup is abit easier and should be reaching the 1st round alot now! I hope :) I think the future is mighty bright for irish clubs in europe :D cant wait to see our first irish club in the group stage!!Agreed.
Uefa groups is possible i reckon.

SPXcyan
03/08/2006, 2:02 AM
I believe Drogheda United will break it first

Block G Raptor
03/08/2006, 9:04 AM
I think the Droggs or Derry could both do it this year. At least one should imo have a great chance it's all down to the Draw and how you perform on the night , Ive adopted Droggs for their home euro ties since they've moved them to dalier

SPXcyan
03/08/2006, 10:59 AM
if both derry and drogheda go through to the 1st round!! how great would that be!! would def be first time 2 irish clubs in 1st round at same time :D

TonyD
03/08/2006, 12:30 PM
Is this the final qualifying round for the UEFA Cup, i.e if Derry and Drogheda get through is it the group stages next ?

pete
03/08/2006, 12:57 PM
Is this the final qualifying round for the UEFA Cup, i.e if Derry and Drogheda get through is it the group stages next ?

1st qualifying round
2nd qualifying round
1st round
Group Stages

Red&White
03/08/2006, 2:47 PM
1st qualifying round
2nd qualifying round
1st round
Group Stages
Don't forget, those lovely co-efficient points count for double from the first round proper. ;)

DmanDmythDledge
03/08/2006, 2:51 PM
Don't forget, those lovely co-efficient points count for double from the first round proper. ;)
That's only for CL,I believe.

Red&White
03/08/2006, 2:55 PM
Nope, I'm pretty sure it's for all European competitions. Will go and check...

crc
I was under the impression it was for both. Clubs certainly start earning club co-efficient points in the 1st round proper of the UEFA Cup (isn't this how Shels got theirs, against Lille?)

Schumi
Don't think so. Wins in the CL and UEFA Cup are worth the same AFAIK.

DmanDmythDledge
03/08/2006, 2:56 PM
Sh!t I thought the post said bonus points. My mistake.

Red&White
03/08/2006, 3:00 PM
"The basis for the UEFA rankings is the performance of teams in the European Cups during a five year period. During that period each team gets two points for a win and one point for a draw. From 1999 on these points are halved for qualification matches: one point for a win and half a point for a draw."