PDA

View Full Version : U21 Squad V Greece and Belgium

NeilMcD
02/08/2006, 2:14 PM
Givens Announces Squad for Under 21 Qualifier
Date: Wednesday, 02 August 2006
Section: International Teams

Manchester United's 18-year old midfielder Darron Gibson has received his first call-up to the Irish Under-21 squad for the UEFA Championship qualifying game away to Greece on Wednesday, August 16th.
Don Givens’ side will play Greece at the Panionios FC Stadium in Nea Smyrni (kick-off 20.00 hrs) before hosting Belgium at Terryland Park, Galway on Friday, September 1st (kick-off 19.30 hrs). The top team in the three-nation group will advance to a play-off in October where they will contest for a place in next year’s Finals, to be hosted in the Netherlands.

Derry-born Gibson made his competitive debut for United last season and has received praise from his club manager Alex Ferguson for impressing during the current series of pre-season matches.

Goalkeeper Darren Randolph, defender Darren O’Dea and attacker Anthony Stokes join Gibson in Givens’ squad having all been promoted from last season’s Republic Under-19 panel.

Kevin Deery has been rewarded for his consistent displays with Derry City, including last week’s victory over IFK Gothenburg in the UEFA Cup, with a call-up to the squad.

Ireland made it through the pre-qualifying stages of the competition in May by beating Azerbaijan 4-1 on aggregate after a two-legged tie.

There will be a limited number of complimentary tickets for schoolboy/girl clubs for the Belgium game. Contact Aisling Fennin 01 7037504 for details.

Ireland Under-21 squad
Colin Doyle - Birmingham City
Darren Randolph - Charlton Athletic
Kevin Foley - Luton Town
Paul McShane - Manchester United
Alex Bruce - Birmingham City
Marcos Painter - Birmingham City
Darren O'Dea - Celtic
Glenn Whelan - Sheffield Wednesday
Willo Flood - Manchester City
Paul Keegan - Drogheda United
Michael Timlin - Fulham
Darron Gibson - Manchester United
Kevin Deery - Derry City
Jay Tabb - Coventry City
Roy O'Donovan - Cork City
Andy Keogh - S****horpe United
Stephen Ward - Bohemians
Anthony Stokes – Arsenal

NeilMcD
15/08/2006, 1:49 PM
Lads does anybody knwo is there anybody showing the Greece v Ireland Match

eirebhoy
15/08/2006, 2:17 PM
Lads does anybody knwo is there anybody showing the Greece v Ireland Match
Greek channel, Mega TV (http://www.megatv.com/), will be showing delayed coverage at 10pm our time (midnight over there). I'm pretty sure if you phoned up the likes of Frazers they'd put it on for you. You know it's on tomorrow though? :)

NeilMcD
15/08/2006, 2:19 PM
Yeah I was thinking of catching some of it before the game but it looks like now it might be after it. Not sure I could bear Frazers to see it though.

eirebhoy
15/08/2006, 2:25 PM
Yeah I was thinking of catching some of it before the game but it looks like now it might be after it. Not sure I could bear Frazers to see it though.
Anyone with a satellite pointing at 13°E would put it on for you no doubt. Gleeson's in Ringsend show Saturday Celtic games on a Polish channel so they might be able to show it. If you phone around I'm sure you'd get a decent spot somewhere. :)

geysir
16/08/2006, 9:41 PM
Did this result get overlooked?
Greece 0 Irl 2
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=957

Dr. Ogba
17/08/2006, 8:30 AM
Did this result get overlooked?
Greece 0 Irl 2
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=957

Looks like it! it was lost in the mire of yesterday's result...Fair play to them, Given's is an absolute eejit but that is a pretty damn good result away from home to be fair! Worth keeping an eye on a few of these lads this season....McShane, Timlin, Whelan, Foley, Flood.....would have to be better than the ****e that we were served last night!!

NeilMcD
17/08/2006, 9:29 AM
I was one of the few guys jumping about the place when I heard the result on the loudspeakers at the game last night. I was delighted for the lads, great 3 points and sets us up nicely for the game in Galway, Pity it clashes with the Germany game.

eirebhoy
17/08/2006, 11:39 AM
I was one of the few guys jumping about the place when I heard the result on the loudspeakers at the game last night. I was delighted for the lads, great 3 points and sets us up nicely for the game in Galway, Pity it clashes with the Germany game.
Same here. :) I was on my way to the toilet at half time and the result was announced. Cheered me up a bit.

Doyle (Birmingham); Foley (Luton Town), Painter (Birmingham), Bruce (Ipswich), McShane (West Bromwich Albion), Keegan (Drogheda Utd), Deery (Derry City), Whelan (Sheffield Weds), Flood (Cardiff City), Ward (Bohemians), Timlin (Fulham). Subs – Keogh (S****horpe) for Ward 80 mins.

Decent team, how is Glenn Whelan eligible though?

Dr. Ogba
17/08/2006, 12:56 PM
Same here. :) I was on my way to the toilet at half time and the result was announced. Cheered me up a bit.

Doyle (Birmingham); Foley (Luton Town), Painter (Birmingham), Bruce (Ipswich), McShane (West Bromwich Albion), Keegan (Drogheda Utd), Deery (Derry City), Whelan (Sheffield Weds), Flood (Cardiff City), Ward (Bohemians), Timlin (Fulham). Subs – Keogh (S****horpe) for Ward 80 mins.

Decent team, how is Glenn Whelan eligible though?

It seems like he's been around the U21's forever doesn't it??!!

Looked it up:

Glenn Whelan (born January 13, 1984)

makes him 22.....:confused:

Yeah I noticed how nobody on the east terrace even batted an eyelid when this was announced...more interested in booing "rival premiership players" :rolleyes:

tetsujin1979
17/08/2006, 2:30 PM
makes him 22.....:confused:

He would have been 21 at the start of the year, think that makes him eligible - just

Paddy Garcia
17/08/2006, 6:40 PM
Same here. :)

?

They would hardly have done worse last night against the Dutch!

adamcarr
17/08/2006, 6:47 PM
Roy O'Donovan ran the show against the Azerbaijans but somehow Givens didnt even give him a game.:rolleyes:

Paddy Garcia
17/08/2006, 6:49 PM
Does anyone know how Deery played ?