PDA

View Full Version : Foot.ie NFL Fantasy League

Pages : [1] 2 3

Aberdonian Stu
02/08/2006, 10:58 AM
Guys I've set up a foot.ie NFL fantasy league on Yahoo.

The league id is: 327511
The password is: f34523

Draft is live at 4pm on Saturday August 19th.

You need to sign up to Yahoo to play but it's free so don't worry.

MODScould you make this a sticky please?

Dodge
02/08/2006, 1:09 PM
Ooooh a live draft, mate of mine was involved in one last year and he said it was brilliant craic. The league I was in was just a standard draft

PS the link might be handy

http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

Aberdonian Stu
02/08/2006, 1:40 PM
Thanks for adding the link Dodge!

Dodge
03/08/2006, 9:59 AM
Looks like me and you Stu. I've posted on the Pats MB too.

Aberdonian Stu
03/08/2006, 10:34 AM
I've deliberately set a long deadline for the draft (the same day we were supposed to play Dublin City) so I can hold off asking my buddys outside of foot.ie for a week or so.

There were a few regular punters on the NFL/NCAA discussion last season so I figured I'd give them a chance.

We had a similar problem with the DCU team fantasy league so we let a couple of the Rebels sign up but then a few of the guys got back from holiday and missed out.

Real ale Madrid
03/08/2006, 10:54 AM
I can't access any of those links at work - but i assume you can enter anytime before the draft? I'll enter either this evening or Tuesday.

Dodge
03/08/2006, 10:55 AM
**** didn't realise there was a limit...

Clifford
03/08/2006, 11:43 AM
I'm going to go in now and register, will try to get my brother hooked up as well tonight.

Aberdonian Stu
03/08/2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah 12 team max.

Yes you can enter the draft anytime Real Ale although obviously the sooner the better (I'm not sure if there is a limit to within 24 hours of the draft or something, so that's why).

Dodge
03/08/2006, 11:52 AM
I removed the link on the Pats board, we're setting up our own. Non live draft

Clifford
03/08/2006, 1:35 PM
I registered ok, get this when I try to log into the league.

There was a problem
There was a temporary problem with the server. Please try again shortly. (Error #115)
The password is incorrect. (Error #109)
The league is not in pre-draft mode. (Error #209)

Helppppp

EDIT: All ok again, human error as usual!!

Dodge
03/08/2006, 1:40 PM
Just start again.

Clifford
03/08/2006, 1:52 PM
OK - I'm in. I've no idea what I'm in, but I'm in.

Anyone want to do a simpleton run down of things?

This draft on the 19th at 4, do we all have to be logged in at that time to act out a live draft etc? I'll be there if so.

It seems to have given me a squad already (a quite good one at first glance). Is this it for me for the season or am I allowed chop and change after the draft?

Sorry to be so dingbat about it, but it looks great.

Aberdonian Stu
03/08/2006, 2:25 PM
You have to log in to take part in the live draft otherwise Yahoo will autopick (this generally isn't a good thing!).

Run the live draft tester to see if it works on your system. A link should appear close to the draft itself. I'll post here as soon as I work it out.

I don't know why it says you have such and such a team now Clifford. All players will be selected on draft day.

If it's anything like nfl.com or espn.com then there will be 90 seconds for each pick.

Dodge
03/08/2006, 2:38 PM
He has the players ranked 1-25 as per yahoo. same as everybody who doesn't edit their own rankings. I've changed some of mine

strangeirish
03/08/2006, 2:55 PM
Alright, I'm in. Cool looking league. It even has a 'smack talk' spot. Anyone catch that?:D

Clifford
04/08/2006, 8:35 PM
Right, got home, was able to have a better look around. Excellent stuff. Bet no one knows what team I am?

Can't wait for the 19th, can I have LT?

Aberdonian Stu
05/08/2006, 6:32 PM
Only if he's available when you're picking!

I got Shaun Alexander in a draft I was in today.

Aberdonian Stu
06/08/2006, 12:09 PM
We're up to five teams now. Seven places left.

Would it be rude if I were to ask which foot.ie user is derekskings?

Dodge
06/08/2006, 12:17 PM
BTW how are you going to determine the draft order?

Karlos
06/08/2006, 12:43 PM
Hey guys,

I'm in but don't think i'll be around on the 19th to join in the live draft. I'll take my chances with yahoo who in fairness probably knows more than me. I'm a long time viewer of NFL but a fantasy league virgin so really looking forward to it.

Karlos :)

Aberdonian Stu
06/08/2006, 1:03 PM
Halfway there now. Just six places left.

To answer your query Dodge, I won't decide the draft order. Yahoo pre-designates the order at random 30 minutes before the draft is due to begin.

The way it will work is that the order gets reversed every second round.

So say hypothetically you're first in round one, I'm second and Karlos is third in round one. In round two you'll be last, I'll be second last and Karlos third last. Then in the third you'll be first again.

Karlos pre-rank a few players if you want to improve your chances of drafting them.

EDIT: Was just checking on Yahoo. It allows me to determine draft order but I figure random is the fairest way to go.

Dodge
06/08/2006, 1:08 PM
Seems air enough. BTW I'm going for LT first too

Karlos
06/08/2006, 8:22 PM
Halfway there now. Just six places left.

To answer your query Dodge, I won't decide the draft order. Yahoo pre-designates the order at random 30 minutes before the draft is due to begin.

The way it will work is that the order gets reversed every second round.

So say hypothetically you're first in round one, I'm second and Karlos is third in round one. In round two you'll be last, I'll be second last and Karlos third last. Then in the third you'll be first again.

Karlos pre-rank a few players if you want to improve your chances of drafting them.

EDIT: Was just checking on Yahoo. It allows me to determine draft order but I figure random is the fairest way to go.

Sounds good Stu, I've pre-ranked a few players. Cheers :)

Clifford
07/08/2006, 11:54 AM
Would it be rude if I were to ask which foot.ie user is derekskings?

That my brother Stu, comes on here as a lurker mainly for the Intermediate league stuff. If it's any prob I can get him to opt out, especially if we move in on 12 players..

Aberdonian Stu
07/08/2006, 1:28 PM
Don't even think about it.

I was just curious as I could guess who the others are.

Aberdonian Stu
07/08/2006, 4:38 PM
Important notice for draft day

I just did a public league draft to see how it works. A link will appear on the league's main page (that's the tab titled league, and the sub tab overview) approximately 30 minutes before the draft.

Click on that to open the java drafting programme.

You can test your system anytime between now and then to make sure it works.

Clifford
07/08/2006, 10:16 PM
Don't even think about it.

I was just curious as I could guess who the others are.

Nice one thanks.

Will check draft stuff to make sure it's all working.

Aberdonian Stu
12/08/2006, 10:36 PM
Guys,

There's a new commissioner's note on the league page. Check it out if you can,

Also I have adjusted the draft to add room for a 7th bench player, meaning there will be 16 rounds instead of 15.

I did this because I had first pick in a 15 round draft last week and found I had an unfair advantage as it meant I had first pick in the first and last rounds.

While your last player mightn't be your most important I feel this evens things up a bit for whoever ends up with a late pick in the first round.

If anyone has any queries just post them here.

Real ale Madrid
13/08/2006, 10:12 PM
Make that seven teams. Im in - looks great. Will the draft take longer than an hour?

Aberdonian Stu
15/08/2006, 12:01 PM
Membership update

The addition of Real Ale and my buddy Sean (who took countless photos at EL games and reads here a bit so is foot.ie enough in my book) brings us to 8.

Schumi is joining tomorrow so that will make it 9. He is the only person that contacted me prior to the noon deadline yesterday asking to keep a spot open.

I consider 10-12 to be the ideal number of teams. So we are effectively one short.

I am now formally opening up membership to anyone you guys know that may be interested with one small caveat.

If there are 11 teams registered when your buddy tries to sign up and Schumi has yet to register I would politely ask you to refrain from signing them up.

Otherwise it's open to all so tell whoever you know that's interested.

Note
If we are still at only 9 members by 10pm on Thursday I will take further action to ensure we reach at least 10. This may mean opening it up to the public at large.

Spudd
15/08/2006, 7:02 PM
Right,ive just signed up!
Problem is,i wont be around on saturday for the draft so looks like ill have to leave it to faith....Im not too worried tho as ive won a wee bit of money in the last few days so im feeling kinda lucky!;)

Schumi
15/08/2006, 7:59 PM
Just signed up there (was getting an error message yesterday) so there's 10 teams now.

Aberdonian Stu
15/08/2006, 8:08 PM
Second update of the day

As Schumi has signed up nobody need worry about keeping a spot open for him so invite your mates.

As there are now 10 teams and the optimal number is between 10 and 12 I will not be opening it up to the public at large (as in folk none of us know) at any stage.

Anyone unavailable for the live draft is advised to pre-rank their players to some level to give themselves a better chance of a decent perfomance in the draft.

Those who are available for the live draft are advised to test their system (you can do it on the league homepage) asap to make sure it is capable of running the programme.

strangeirish
15/08/2006, 8:41 PM
I can't make the draft, but have my pre-draft stuff in order. Hopefully it works.

Dodge
15/08/2006, 10:11 PM
Actually I won't be able to make it now (well I'll try) but I'll set up my rankings

Aberdonian Stu
15/08/2006, 10:37 PM
Yikes!

Well I hope some of you make it. I think it's a distinct disadvantage to not be there to make the pick yourself.

That said one of my autodraft teams isn't too bad.

Aberdonian Stu
18/08/2006, 1:18 PM
League Full
The addition of Smashey has brought the number competing to 11. To ensure it doesn't say that way I have contacted a fellow member of the DCU Saints offensive line who will take the 12th spot later today, thus filling the leage.

Draft is at 4pm tomorrow Irish time.

Anyone with any questions should PM me well before then.

Please ensure you test your system to make sure it is able to run the java programme for the draft.

To get us in the mood I've robbed a light-hearted list rules from nfl.com, I've excluded the ones that say nfl.com is great!

1. Never name your team after your girlfriend or cat

2. Listen to the experts

3. Don't listen to the experts

4. No complaining after a win

5. Being a fantasy coach does not give you the right to slap people on the butt .

6. It's your duty to talk trash. Period.

7. Making stupid trades to help another team steal the title is lame (this is true and will be stamped out by the commissioner if anyone tries it).

8. Avoid 'friendly' advice

9. Don't draft a player that's already been drafted

10. Set your lineup on Tuesday morning. Fine-tune it every day afterwards

11. It's never over until it's Tuesday

12. Be wary of last minute changes to your lineup … go with your gut

13. Doubtful means he's not playing. Game-time decision means #%$@&!

14. Teams who forgot their QB had a bye week should be mocked

15. Drafting first is overrated

16. Teams starting an injured player should be scorned

17. Know how to pronounce your draft pick

18. Keeping a kicker in a keeper league is open to ridicule (our league isn't a keeper league so don't worry)

19. Losing 120-119 is NOT a moral victory

20. The best trades are often the ones you do not make

21. Running back-by-committee is a plot to undermine fantasy players

22. A running back is only as good as his offensive line

23. Recreating your alma mater's bowl lineup from five years ago doesn't work

24. Don't trade for a player because your girlfriend thinks he has 'cool hair'

Schumi
18/08/2006, 1:49 PM
18. Keeping a kicker in a keeper league is open to ridicule (our league isn't a keeper league so don't worry)

I don't even know what this means. I'm not going to do very well in this, am I? :D

Aberdonian Stu
18/08/2006, 2:31 PM
Don't worry I barely understand what it means!

More hardcore and experienced fantasy players have leagues where a designated number of the players you pick one year (usually between 1 & 4) can be kept for the following season as well.

As kickers form varies from year to year more than most positions and the depth is reasonably good there's no point wasting one of your keeper spots on one.

The catch with those types of leagues is you have to declare your keeper(s) before the season starts!

Ours isn't a keeper league so nobody here need worry about any of this.

Dodge
18/08/2006, 4:19 PM
Should be available for the draft now...

Aberdonian Stu
18/08/2006, 7:26 PM
Ah feck, and there was I expecting an easy opening game against an autodraft outfit:D

Aberdonian Stu
19/08/2006, 12:57 PM
Post if you have draft problems
I'll keep this thread open in a tab on Firefox from 15 minutes before the draft starts until its completion.

If anyone has problems getting in or such please post here and I will leave a response on what you need to do to fix it.

The draft order will be determined randomly approximately 30 minutes before draft time.

If you want to ask anything else pre draft ask asap.

Dodge
19/08/2006, 1:45 PM
On the Pats MB we did an autodraft based on peoples rankings. Here's my team

QB - Carlton Palmer (C Bengals)
bench- Green (K Chiefs)

WR - Burress (NY Giants)
WR - Branch (NE Patriots)
WR - Burleson (S Seahawks)
Bn - Jurevicius (C Browns)

RB - Tomlinson (SD Chargers)
RB - Westbrook (P Eagles)
RB - Holmes (K Chiefs)

TE - Crumpler (A Hawks)
B - Clark (I Colts)

K - Rackers (A Cardinals)
B Tynes (k Chiefs)

D - Baltimore Ravens
Bn - Buffalo Bills

-
Not sure how I ended up with a sub kicker(!) but overall happy enough

Aberdonian Stu
19/08/2006, 1:55 PM
I think I can explain that for you Dodge. Both my autodraft teams in Yahoo had two kickers. I think they automatically assign a sub. You can adjust from the free agent pool and replace your kicker with another positional player.

I know NFL.com makes you draft 2 Ds, even in a live draft. Based on how I was trying to manage my picks that draft I had to make changes post draft as a result.

Aberdonian Stu
19/08/2006, 2:33 PM
The draft room may now be entered at any time.

Aberdonian Stu
19/08/2006, 4:07 PM
Draft complete
The draft is complete and here are the first round results:

1. S. Alexander Smashey's Bulldogs
2. B. Leftwich Newbridge Wagons
3. L. Johnson T&C All Stars
4. L. Tomlinson Dublin Northsiders
5. C. Portis Boys In Blue
6. S. Jackson Belfield Bullets
7. P. Manning Basher Badgers
8. T. Barber (BC) Eagles Abú
9. H. Ward derekskings
10. C. Palmer Numero uno
11. E. James CLIFFORDS CLIPPERS
12. T. Brady Inchicore Saints

There were sixteen rounds. Teams start 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF with seven subs.

While I think 1st pick is over-rated I still reckon Smashey's Bulldogs have the strongest starting line up.

But don't worry, in fantasy it's the teams with good benches that win championships!

First weekend of games starts September 7th (a Thursday).
Yahoo's favourite is in Italics:

Inchicore Saints @ Belfield Bullets
Smashey's Bulldogs @ Newbridge Wagons
Boys in Blue @ CLIFFORDS CLIPPERS
Numerouno @ derekskings
T&C All Stars @ Dublin Northsiders (No Yahoo favourite)
Basher Badgers @ (BC) Eagles Abú

Good luck to all.

Dodge
19/08/2006, 4:56 PM
Got 3 of my top 10 and my No 1 Tight end so happy enough.

Aberdonian Stu
20/08/2006, 9:10 AM
I hit paydirt big time in an ESPN league last night.

The team I drafted was:
QB Ben Roethlisberger, Pit
RB Shaun Alexander, Sea
RB Rudi Johnson, Cin
WR Torry Holt, StL
WR Chris Chambers, Mia
TE Jason Witten, Dal
D/ST Seahawks D/ST
K Neil Rackers, Ari

Bench
Julius Jones, Dal RB
Joey Galloway, TB WR
Willie Parker, Pit RB
Drew Bledsoe, Dal QB
Keyshawn Johnson, Car WR
Laveranues Coles, NYJ WR
Ben Troupe, Ten TE
Philip Rivers, SD QB

Some nutter picked picked Reggie Bush number one and Alexander fell to me at 5.

The same girl is now offering me her only decent player, Alge Crumpler, for Witten. I've accepted.

Aberdonian Stu
22/08/2006, 4:30 PM
Those of you wishing to enter the predictions league I've set up for Irish fans of American football can do so by going to http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/pickem
The group ID is: 18360
Password: f34523

Straight pick the winner format, no spread or odds involved.