PDA

View Full Version : [article]European victories a timely boost for summer soccer

thejollyrodger
01/08/2006, 10:14 PM
European victories a timely boost for summer soccer
Emmet Malone

On Soccer: Clubs who favour a return to a winter season were quick to seize upon the recent collapse of Dublin City as further evidence of how the switch to the summer months has failed to deliver the much-anticipated improvement in the Eircom League's fortunes.

Financially speaking, they're right. After a small but significant initial improvement overall attendances appear to have stagnated at most clubs, while a number have experienced serious declines. In several cases the falls can be directly attributed to a downturn in the particular team's fortunes but a number do appear to have a strong case that they are, for various reasons, losing out at the turnstiles.

Advocates of the change, though, received a timely boost to their campaign to maintain the new calendar last week in the form of outstanding European wins for Drogheda United and Derry City.

One of the main aims of the adoption of a summer season was always to make Irish clubs more competitive in Uefa competitions and Thursday night provided the most clear-cut evidence to date of the extent to which the move has, in this area at least, succeeded.

Both clubs performed strongly to make it through to the second qualifying round of the Uefa Cup but Derry's achievement in beating a side of the calibre of IFK Gothenburg, winners of the competition back in 1987, both home and away is perhaps the most quietly impressive.

It should, however, be viewed very much as part of a clear pattern that has emerged over the past few years and one that is inextricably linked both to the growing professionalism of the country's leading sides, who now take on foreign counterparts, while in the middle of their domestic campaigns rather than, in some cases, a month before the start of the league.

The history of Irish clubs' encounters with Swedish sides is instructive. Prior to 2004 clubs from the league here had been drawn against opponents from that country five times. On each occasion the Republic's representatives had been eliminated and Cork City' 1-0 win over Gothenburg in 1999, when the tie had effectively been lost with a 3-0 defeat two weeks earlier, stands out as the only win in 10 matches played.

In the past three seasons, however, City got the better of both Malmo and Djugardens, while Derry have now completed a remarkable hat-trick with their defeat of Gothenburg.

Drogheda's defeat of HJK Helsinki, meanwhile, was the first defeat of a Finnish side in four attempts by an Irish outfit and the two wins have, combined with the win and draw secured by Cork City against Apollon in the Champions League, helped Ireland climb to a provisional 37th place on Uefa's ranking list.

That may not seem all that impressive at first glance but it is a significant improvement on the place in the mid-forties collectively occupied by Irish clubs just a few years ago and there appears to be good reason for believing that, having started last season in 40th position and this year in 38th, the upward momentum can be maintained.

It will not be easy. The biggest turnaround in recent Irish fortunes has come in the Inter Toto Cup which doesn't count for the purpose of Uefa calculations. Instead, Uefa award points for wins and draws by clubs representing countries in its main two competitions after which they divide by the number of clubs to obtain a score. Each country is ranked on the basis of its clubs' performances over a period of five years.

Ireland has so far amassed 1.666 points this season and just one more draw from the minimum of five games remaining for Cork, Derry and Drogheda would mean that last year's tally of 1.833 would be equalled. Given the Uefa Cup pairings unveiled last week it does not seem unreasonable to hope for at least a little better than that but even that score, produced consistently over a five-year period would carry the league into the top 30 with resulting benefits in terms of seedings.

The Swedes are currently ranked 26th while Cyprus are 29th and Finland 32nd. And fans can now go to games with a reasonable expectation of seeing an Irish victory. Counting Shelbourne's outings in the Inter Toto and viewing, as Uefa do, Drogheda's extra-time defeat of Helsinki as a win, Irish clubs have won seven and drawn two of 11 European games this summer. It's a record but worth noting that they also won seven between them in 82 outings through the 90s.

It might be argued that only the top sides are benefiting from this transformation but it would be foolish to pretend that the public perception of a league is not shaped to a huge extent by the performances of its leading clubs. Only European football provides a sceptical public with a truly objective measure of the progress being made by the game here and for years those inclined to belittle the league could count on an annual shipment of ammunition.

Even the frustration of those inclined to be highly supportive occasionally spilled over, as with the call for the withdrawal of all Irish clubs from European competition in the wake of St Patrick's Athletic's humiliating defeat at the hands of Zimbru Chisinau back in 1999.

Since then there have, naturally enough, been hiccups but for the most part solid progress has been made. Reversing those gains would seem a high price to pay to discover whether the public really is, in certain parts of the country at least, itching to see their local team back playing in the cold, wind and rain.

© The Irish Times

Totally agree. We are really motoring now !!

A face
01/08/2006, 10:16 PM
I love they way some papers are chipping in with these kinds of articles now after the years of damage they have done.

el punter
01/08/2006, 10:52 PM
I love they way some papers are chipping in with these kinds of articles now after the years of damage they have done.

So should they continue to ignore the league because they have done so in the past?

I honestly get the feeling that if this league ever does explode in to the mainstream there'll be no shortage of people here grumbling about how it was in the old days and moaning about bandwagon jumpers.

It's a classic damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario that you are throwing at the media there. And in fairness to Emmet Malone, he's got coverage of the league in the Times more days than not.

Gareth
01/08/2006, 11:05 PM
I for one have become obsessed with Co-efficients. I can wittle off stats and figures and how it works to anyone willing to half listen or give me a remote look of feigned interest. The Premiership boys in work are happy to ignore co-efficients but the odd American I talk to seems like they have found teh untapped stat potential of "soccer". Eitherway, this time of year reminds me of the times when I use to play Championship Manager and I'd watch on as an Irish team MIGHT progress or make it into the group stages. Back in the day it was a pipe dream but now we have three out of three still vying for european progress and damn it, I am hoping Cork can get a unlikely win!! :)

A face
01/08/2006, 11:09 PM
So should they continue to ignore the league because they have done so in the past?

I honestly get the feeling that if this league ever does explode in to the mainstream there'll be no shortage of people here grumbling about how it was in the old days and moaning about bandwagon jumpers.

It's a classic damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario that you are throwing at the media there. And in fairness to Emmet Malone, he's got coverage of the league in the Times more days than not.

I was merely pointing out that it is shallow .... and it is .... all of a sudden eL clubs are getting it together and its cool to report somewhere close to the truth now, compared to the lies and bloody mindness of some articles, some that were bordering on insane the way they came out with some 'facts' ... what do you want me to do, forget about it as if it never happened?? Not on your life fella .... i'll never forget it. I will welcome any new coverage we are getting but i wont forget how some of them really behave. You'd do well not to forget it either.

NY Hoop
02/08/2006, 9:34 AM
Good article but his first paragraph is worrying. Are there people out there who said that because CHF died halfway through the summer season that summer football is not working?:eek: Oh dear.

KOH

BohDiddley
02/08/2006, 9:35 AM
Agree 100% with you on the general point, A Face. But Emmet Malone, who is a proper sports reporter, has done a pretty good job overall, especially against the EPL/GAA tide in the I. Times.*

*Apart from slavishly following Genesis/O'Donoghue/Delaney/Shelbourne line on groundsharing. No one's perfect, I suppose.

Real ale Madrid
02/08/2006, 10:02 AM
Irish clubs have won seven and drawn two of 11 European games this summer. It's a record but worth noting that they also won seven between them in 82 outings through the 90s.

An amazing statistic.

bigmac
02/08/2006, 11:49 AM
But Emmet Malone, who is a proper sports reporter, has done a pretty good job overall, especially against the EPL/GAA tide in the I. Times

Have to agree there, if every paper had someone as balanced and conscientious as him, then the EL would get pretty decent coverage. If you were to look back over all his articles on the EL, most of them seem to show a good understanding of the league, rather than someone writing about it because they're told to, despite not knowing anything about domestic football.

*edit* As a point of information, I just had a quick look at the IT website and there have been 24 EL stories in the last week - some of these are double stories - eg GO'C loan falling through and Limerick ground deal were together today. IMO this isn't too bad a figure to begin with - obviously it would be nice to see more, perhaps with better match reports, but compared to some of the other papers, it's not too bad.

Rory H
02/08/2006, 12:01 PM
An amazing statistic.

it is,i wish it would excite me but then i read the 2006 attendance thread and im convinced we will be back make 10 steps back