PDA

View Full Version : EL Advertising Campaign ramblings

dav_sfc
01/08/2006, 3:24 AM
After posting my thoughts on an EL Flag idea i had the following rambling thoughts so i etched them into this photon emitting box for your reading pleasure.

The 10K each club are getting for marketing... could that not be pooled by all clubs to advertise the league?
Having a proper advertising campaign on the telebox would do the league good.
Maybe have all the European goals and highlights and triumphs shown and after each goal goes in flash up the increasing co-efficient and the next team on the roster.
Compile the last few years and it would look the business. Again, let people work out what all the number business is about and as they see the number start to reach 6, 8 and then 10 and teams like, Depor, Lille, Goteborg, Red Star, AC Milan etc.. starting to appear more often then they might start realising what is happening on their own doorstep.
Having goals from the title deciding games and Cup games and getting the actual Cups recognised would be another thing to do.
Everyone knows what the champions league trophy, the Premiership trophy and FA cup trophy look like.
They are almost as recognisable as the cursed golden arches or Coca-Cola.
Would the general Irish public recognise our own domestic trophies as easy? i doubt it. (Maybe make the cups bigger too!)
It's all part of the brand recognition thing. (come on marketing people out there, get your ideas in!)
The club crests too need to be more recognisable! Get them out there in peoples faces!
The co-efficient thing could be worked on more too. Stick the co-efficient on billboards and in buses. As is said no explanation let people ask about it and talk about it, it would be discussed in bars and restaurants and everyone would wonder what it is, whether they are football fans or not.
When people start explaining how the thing works and the teams we have to beat to get it, then the league will at least get the exposure it needs and deserves.
And so what if some people have a laugh about how low it is compared to other nations close by. People will at least have to concede the league is getting better year on year if we use the co-efficient as a measure. And as they say, no publicity is bad publicity.
This should help to change peoples general opinion on the EL and eventually should lead to bums on seats, maybe first at European games but eventually in domestic fixtures too. Clubs need to hold onto people when they get large crowds by having some special offers. Half price entry to a league game with the stub of the last fixture and that kind of thing.

Your thoughts please!

Block G Raptor
01/08/2006, 9:37 AM
I Think the co-efficent idea is class. the most successful ad campaign's tend to be the ones that come in series and leave the viewer wondering what the hell it's about. as for getting clubs to pool their marketing budget to promote the league in general it makes sense so there is no chance of it happening. The FAI should take a fraction of their budget for jaunts to Old Trafford and use that to market the league

Dodge
01/08/2006, 10:12 AM
The 10K each club are getting for marketing... could that not be pooled by all clubs to advertise the league?
Having a proper advertising campaign on the telebox would do the league good.
Just for info, €210,000 would get you **** all advertising time on RTE. There is absolutely NO WAY that these much needed funds should be diverted away from clubs.

Also NOBODY bar LOI fans care about co-efficients, and even most LOI fans are scared by them. Highlighting the fact we're 30 places below the English Leagues will just make us look worse IMO. Lets not live in our little LOI bubble here. Even if the odd person thinks "well they're getting better", they'll still think we're way way below the scottish league and EVERYBODY thinks thats ****e (including Celtic fans).

IMO the only way we can possibly market our league is portray the fans' passion and colour and using the players as much as possible (here's where your highlight reel comes in). In no circumstances should more than 5 empty seats be shown in any photo or clip.

Mr A
01/08/2006, 10:21 AM
Actually there's only €120,000- only premier clubs are getting the 10k grant.

And I agree about co-efficients. Unfortunately in the current climate it is more likely to be used to mock the league than to inform people of improvement.

I think a campaign based on the uniqueness and passion around the clubs more akin to TG4's "It's because we're different" campaign would be more effective.

Block G Raptor
01/08/2006, 11:45 AM
I think a campaign based on the uniqueness and passion around the clubs more akin to TG4's "It's because we're different" campaign would be more effective.
Agree. For me personally I'am proud to be from Dublin's Northside and even prouder to support my local club. I dont care about the quality of football on display it's the atmosphere and feeling of belonging to something that keeps me going to Dalymount.I have introduced numerous friends and my daughter ,stepson(first game last friday) and nephews to the joys of BFC my eldest nephew in particular is Bohs mad and although he follows liverpool (because I do) when asked who he follows he always answers Bohs first and Liverpool 2nd.this is the kind of Image of the league we need to publicise. a family friendly unique experiance of getting behind your local team and having pride in singing your heart out for the lads. I know on here I'm preaching to the converted but hopefully someone who can do something about the marketing of the league see's this and takes it on board. we cannot compete with the EPL on purely football terms and so should look for a Unique Selling Point in order to show that the eL is about so much more than 90 mins of football each week.....................I feel my first Foot.ie Blog coming on

Block G Raptor
01/08/2006, 3:27 PM
Ive thrown together a poster/flyer to show how easy something like this can show the eL in a good light if someone can pop it up on a network share and post a link here it be greatfull as i dont have access to network shares in work. if you'd be willing to do it pm your email to me and I'll send it to you
Thanks

Dodge
01/08/2006, 4:13 PM
Throw it up on www.imagevenue.com

Block G Raptor
01/08/2006, 4:18 PM
Throw it up on www.imagevenue.com
Cant its blocked by web security in work as are all web shares
can you pop it up if i email it to you

pete
01/08/2006, 7:12 PM
As mentioned above non-eL people don't know what co-efficients are. Would be better to highlight the eL success against teams from countries they have heard of - Sweden, Scotland, Finland, Holland, Germany etc...

Dr.Nightdub
01/08/2006, 11:15 PM
Think youse are getting off on the wrong foot here. It's not the European games we need to get people to, it's the League games week in, week out. European successes are too easy to write off as flashes in the pan.

Dodge is right about the cost of airtime on RTE (though TV3 is much cheaper). Unfortunately, it would also cost a fair bit to string together an advertising-quality sequence of goals of the month, fan celebrations, etc - in fact you wouldn't have too much change out of the €120k.

I know it's flying in the face of the received wisdom about all the clubs pooling together their respective €10k's, but I reckon it'd be better if they actually used the money for the purpose intended - raising the profile of the various clubs in their local communities. It's by building that sense of identity between Pats and Inchicore, Bohs and D7 / D11 / D15, Cork and well Cork really, that you'll start to see some long-term benefits.

Blowing the whole lot on a short one-off ad campaign would just be more of the same short-termism that's plagued the League for years.

Leeza
01/08/2006, 11:36 PM
Personally I think we should try and aim a campaign at people who enjoy football and all the side effects. Once you go to watch a live game, no matter how poor the quality of football in that live game is there is just something that always reels me back in.

Football in Monaghan just can't compete with the GAA in terms of pride in place. Most of our players are Dubs, and most Monaghaners think of Monaghan 'as a Dublin team playing an English sport' Killing attitudes like this is more important I think than a short term, short sighted marketing campaign I feel.