PDA

View Full Version : An Eircom League Flag?

joema
01/08/2006, 1:15 AM
Following on from the idea of a foot.ie flag for the international games
http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?t=36995

I was thinking of one huge flag that consists of all the eircom league crests - this flag could be displayed at European matches involving Eircom league teams and at Ireland games aswell.

Good idea? Maybe the NLSA could get involved and each supporters club of each el team could raise money for it.

Is this possible/ unrealistic?

joema
01/08/2006, 1:32 AM
Possible designs - dont mind the colour oR the text - can be changed

http://img426.imageshack.us/img426/2751/eircomleagueflag1il3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/8071/eircomleagueflag2sv8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Celdrog
01/08/2006, 2:13 AM
Anybody spot the rather obvious mistake (and I'm not talking about Craptown being on it).

el punter
01/08/2006, 2:23 AM
Aside from the obvious error, it'll be redundant when the crappy eircom sponsorship ends if it has 'The Eircom League' printed on it.

joema
01/08/2006, 2:26 AM
They were just initial ideas - dont mind the mistakes - there is loads of them.
Do ye think its a good idea or unrealistic/ needless?

dav_sfc
01/08/2006, 4:41 AM
I think it is a great idea. We could stick the EL co-efficient in the center of it! keep changing it as it goes up! Just put the number in and let people figure out what it is.
This got me thinking about more stuff but to keep on topic i've created another thread with my ramblings. To read more, click here... http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=37465

A face
01/08/2006, 7:41 AM
Great idea ..... i throw €100 if it is 300 foot X 200 foot. If its any smaller then i'd be reluctant. I'd agree, avoid using eircom ..... how about "Support our own" or something .... maybe best to spell it out to barstoolers though "National League"

manic da hoop
01/08/2006, 8:36 AM
Sorry, but I have to say I think the whole idea is incredibly naff. I much prefer the sight of various different club (Bray, Rovers, Cork and Galway always seem to be the most prominant) flags lined up side by side at the front of the north trerrace, squeezing out all those other terrible Chelsea, MUFC, or 'local pub name' ones.

Soper
01/08/2006, 11:10 AM
I think it's an awesome idea, and I agree with the suggestions by 'A Face', with a slogan similar to what he suggested.

sligoman
01/08/2006, 11:23 AM
Their was an advertisement on either 2fm or Today fm one day advertising the league. Went something like this "Their are some people who like watching football and their are some people who like watching football on TV" etc. then at the end "Put down the remote" and go out and experience live football, watch the Eircom league or something like that. I thought it was a very good ad to be fair and it was fairly long(in terms of radio ad's) too.

Only thing was, the ad on after it was advertising the English Premiership starting up and whoever had listened to the previous ad would have forgotten all about the Eircom league straight away:rolleyes:.

Block G Raptor
01/08/2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah Think the Ad was something like "Its football It's Live It's the eircom League .....Get into It"
Should do something like the Guinness "Ask not what your County can do for you" campign. The eL needs a major packaging overhall. someone needs to take the bull by the horns. could the NLSA fundraise and buy some tv time for advertisement? I'm sure if buckets went around all stadiums for a few months they'd make a nice few bob. just look at what the dalymount trust did with the Phoenix Bar.feck it lads no one is going to market this league so maybe we should do it ourselves.in general eircom league fans are renowned for digging deep to help out their clubs. The NLSA is the perfect catalyst to launch something like this. No one will help us if we dont help ourselves.

wws
01/08/2006, 12:29 PM
I think it is a great idea. We could stick the EL co-efficient in the center of it! keep changing it as it goes up! Just put the number in and let people figure out what it is.
This got me thinking about more stuff but to keep on topic i've created another thread with my ramblings. To read more, click here... http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=37465

I can't believe this!

JW - Fact is stranger than Fiction - check this out! :eek: :D

pineapple stu
01/08/2006, 12:55 PM
Anybody spot the rather obvious mistake (and I'm not talking about Craptown being on it).
Yeah, it's got our monstrosity of a new crest on it rather than the proper one. ;)

could the NLSA fundraise and buy some tv time for advertisement
With respect, that would be a hell of a lot of fundraising! What's one 30-second slot on RTÉ cost - E10,000? E30,000? You've only got 10,000 people max going to games every week!

We can get in touch with the various SCs we have contacts for and bandy the idea about. Obviously anything which improves the match day experience (hate the phrase, but you know what I mean) at home or away games is good.

Block G Raptor
01/08/2006, 4:07 PM
Yeah, it's got our monstrosity of a new crest on it rather than the proper one. ;)

With respect, that would be a hell of a lot of fundraising! What's one 30-second slot on RTÉ cost - E10,000? E30,000? You've only got 10,000 people max going to games every week!

We can get in touch with the various SCs we have contacts for and bandy the idea about. Obviously anything which improves the match day experience (hate the phrase, but you know what I mean) at home or away games is good.
Jees I knew it was expensive didn't realise how bloody expensive would setanta not do some kind of deal as it would be beneficial to them through the setanta sports cup etc.
By the way Ive come up with an idea for a poster/flyer with a catchy slogan if anyone can pop it up on a network share I'll email it to them
the slogan is "Its your team, Its Your League. It's where you belong" accompanied by a pic of some fans with flares etc and a pic of cork with the league trophy superimposed over the top

pete
01/08/2006, 7:09 PM
Get eircom to pay for its massive advertising for them.

EnDai
01/08/2006, 7:19 PM
There's an eircom poster taking up a bus shelter in Bray (well, towards Ballywaltrim - on the 145 and 45A routes), advertising the league. Something along the lines of "Watch it live, not on the box". We need that sort of thing in town.

dav_sfc
02/08/2006, 5:58 AM
I can't believe this!

JW - Fact is stranger than Fiction - check this out! :eek: :D

That's right wws, your idea was much better.

I know my ramblings are not up to much and I'm glad to see others managed to post their own ideas.

At least the thread got some people thinking, rather than just criticising.

Whats funny, i guess, is that we all want a better league and more supporters so what do we do? we ridicule each other while we try do that.
Productive.

wws
02/08/2006, 9:45 AM
I presume you follow shelbourne well than create an impressive shelbourne flag

a flag with the co efficient on it or advertising "the league" is just too lame for words tbh

Dodge
02/08/2006, 10:18 AM
Whats funny, i guess, is that we all want a better league and more supporters so what do we do? we ridicule each other while we try do that.
Productive.
You realise this is an internet forum? Yeah we can discuss making the league better but don't expect everybody to agree with you.

dav_sfc
02/08/2006, 10:30 AM
You realise this is an internet forum? Yeah we can discuss making the league better but don't expect everybody to agree with you.

What are you talking about? I don't expect anyone to agree with me but the least i would expect is something more constructive than the point and laugh method adopted by wws.
Sure, you yourself gave a good reason against my argument, then gave your own idea and a good reason why. This is what i expect from people in a forum.
That kind of thing is far more important and far more productive.

Dodge
02/08/2006, 10:34 AM
I haven't posted on this topic. I will now. Think its a rubbish idea and don't see the point.

dav_sfc
02/08/2006, 10:44 AM
I haven't posted on this topic. I will now. Think its a rubbish idea and don't see the point.

I was talking about your post on my Marketing Ramblings, the thread which wws was talking about.

But to keep on the topic do you think the flag is a bad idea, advertising the league in general is a bad idea, putting some writing on the flag is a bad idea or putting the co-efficient on the flag is a bad idea?

And the point to this flag idea is to advertise the league. So any ideas you have post away. and if you think a flag should not be used what do you think should?

WeAreRovers
02/08/2006, 10:59 AM
Have to agree with Dodge and wws, it's an irredeemably naff idea and smacks of what our gypo friends would doubtless call minnowism. And they'd be right.

KOH