PDA

View Full Version : Betting suspended on Martin O'Neill to be next Villa manager

Rory H
31/07/2006, 3:11 PM
went from 3/1 when it started to 4/6 and now 2/5....was suspended after that and has had meeting with villa chairman because the 2 front runners in the takeover bids want him as manager..i think that means he may be taking the ultimate challenge..to make aston villa great again....love a guy that loves a challenge:)

drinkfeckarse
31/07/2006, 3:37 PM
It doesn't guarantee anything wild rover, common practice for bookies to do that if big bets are coming in and it's good for publicity.

Rory H
31/07/2006, 3:38 PM
It doesn't guarantee anything wild rover, common practice for bookies to do that if big bets are coming in and it's good for publicity.

dont ruin this for me.....

Dodge
31/07/2006, 3:46 PM
He's 1.85 on betfair (Basically 5/6) Market still open

RogerMilla
31/07/2006, 4:03 PM
guys , i have watced a lot of these managers markets over the last two years and i know one thing for sure , anyone who layed MON for all those manager jobs made a hell of a lot of money. I won't believe he is villa manager until i see him lead them out , i can't see him taking that job....

eddiestarrs@eir
31/07/2006, 5:00 PM
hi im trying 2 find a bit of trivia 2 shut up smartarese at work who was 1st player sent off under yellow then red card rule and also who was d 1st in d premiership 2 walk thanks

sligoman
01/08/2006, 10:00 AM
Martin O'Neill would be downright stupid to take the Villa job, he's too good for them.

Rory H
01/08/2006, 11:00 AM
reports are he will be confirmed as villa manager today

Scram
01/08/2006, 12:13 PM
guys , i have watced a lot of these managers markets over the last two years and i know one thing for sure , anyone who layed MON for all those manager jobs made a hell of a lot of money. I won't believe he is villa manager until i see him lead them out , i can't see him taking that job....

He was favourite for Sunderland job, but that was a 3 minute telephone interview..he had no intention of taking that job...a no-win situation, they get promoted...so what...they don't get promoted..the Man U job is gone.

If he can get Villa into Europe it will be seen as a huge success but now that Ellis is stepping down, he will probably get the money and committments needed to give it a go, and if he even gets Villa into the top 10, I think that will be enough to keep his options open for the bigger jobs.

I can see him in the Villa job, he wants back into football. Only way he isn't offered the job is if Erricsonn's crowd take over.

pineapple stu
01/08/2006, 12:30 PM
How many times was betting on the Irish manager job suspended? And for how many people?

Dr. Ogba
02/08/2006, 1:56 PM
He was favourite for Sunderland job, but that was a 3 minute telephone interview..he had no intention of taking that job...a no-win situation, they get promoted...so what...they don't get promoted..the Man U job is gone.

If he can get Villa into Europe it will be seen as a huge success but now that Ellis is stepping down, he will probably get the money and committments needed to give it a go, and if he even gets Villa into the top 10, I think that will be enough to keep his options open for the bigger jobs.

I can see him in the Villa job, he wants back into football. Only way he isn't offered the job is if Erricsonn's crowd take over.

Good point, I believe its win-win for O'Neill to take the Villa job....break the top 6 he's the saviour of the club, struggle in the first season ah sure the club was in shambles anyway...either way his reputation is untarnished...

As a man that's followed the Villa since Graham Taylor led them to a second place finish in 89-90 (glory hunter!) I'd be delighted to see O'Neill get it even if he's using the club as a stepping-stone. He a;ways seems to get the best out of the players at his disposal and I'd say a top 10 finish would be defo on the cards with him there....

Saying that, I'll believe it when I see it!!!:rolleyes:

geysir
03/08/2006, 9:37 PM
It looks to be a done deal now according to the BBC's understanding.
Villa supporters have their mini velvet revolution experience.
I have some regrets that he did not take the Irish job, he could have had the world at his feet, European finals followed by World cup finals :)
Now he is just revisiting English midlands midtable a cup run or two, who would really care.

RogerMilla
04/08/2006, 7:39 AM
looks like a done deal on the guardian too.
I Can't believe after all the jobs he has been linked with that he has taken on this one. No offence to Villa but they are ****e!!!

drinkfeckarse
04/08/2006, 9:01 AM
I can understand why he has taken it. As has already been mentioned, he can't really lose with this one.

I suspect the potential new owners have told him he's going to get quite a bit to spend so that's a big draw for anybody. I was looking at the Villa squad the other day and you forget that they can get a good 11 on the park when all fit. Bouma, Mellberg, Barry, Laursen, Davis, Baros are all good players so if O' Neill can keep them all off the treatment table then he has a good base to start with.

Rory H
04/08/2006, 2:03 PM
I Can't believe after all the jobs he has been linked with that he has taken on this one. No offence to Villa but they are ****e!!!

i wouldnt say that now...good fanbase,..proud history....and a squad that can be built on[with about 100millioneuro hopefully:D ]...excellent youth academy...futures bright for villa if o neill and lerner come in

Rory H
04/08/2006, 2:17 PM
i can't see him taking that job....

theres a press confrence at 6.30 in this place called aston in birmingham...have a look at sky sports news and you will see something you didnt think you would see

tricky_colour
04/08/2006, 6:17 PM
Is it to late to get a bet on?

tricky_colour
04/08/2006, 6:29 PM

I am sure O'Neil will make a lot of money out of it as Villa is to be sold off
or taken over, having O'Neil as manager probably doubled the value of the
club!!!

geysir
04/08/2006, 10:18 PM
That's a good take TC, I didn't credit deadly Doug enough. I'd say he has doubled his take home payoff if he does sell. How many names did he drop in the press conference?

tricky_colour
04/08/2006, 11:54 PM
That's a good take TC, I didn't credit deadly Doug enough. I'd say he has doubled his take home payoff if he does sell. How many names did he drop in the press conference?

Sure, a manager like MON is like gold dust, look how every team looking for a manager (including Ireland) was desperate to get him, (you can exclude England because they have no clue).

MON, unlike most managers actually has a brain (law degree calibre), even if he knew nothing about football he would run the club soundly.

Doug, probably won't let managers manage because he doesn't think
they are up to the job. Different case with MON, if he won't be allowed to manage I am sure he would have never taken the job, obviously he will be
well familliar with the legal aspects of such things.

RogerMilla
07/08/2006, 3:02 PM
great coup for deadly doug , i am still shocked o'neill took it
can't believe The English FA turned him down , they really are muppets

shakermaker1982
09/08/2006, 9:37 AM
The English FA were not keen on O'Neill bringing in his own men i.e. Robertson and his back room staff. I think he told them it was either my way or go pick McClaren. The same thing happened with Nottm Forest a few seasons ago - they only wanted Martin and nothing to do with his backroom staff........Forest then got relegated and are playing teams like Blackpool!!!

I think if O'Neill gets one or two signings before the big kick off he will get them a top 8 finish this season. Not bad considering how bad they were last season.