PDA

View Full Version : UCD V Bohemians

CollegeTillIDie
29/07/2006, 5:00 PM
Missed the game cause I was ill however, heard the blow by blow live on Newstalk 106. Declan Drake told me, at the Drogheda game, that Newstalk will cover all our games live if we maintain this kick off slot.

Anyway to save pineapple part of a job there were four changes in the team.
Alan Mahon, Tony McDonnell , Ronan Finn and Paul Byrne returned to first team action in place of Brian Shortall, Kieran Harte, Stephen Hurley and Derek Doyle. And in the first half UCD were a much improved outfit on the previous display

Two subs used by UCD Patrick Kavanagh replaced Mc Walter; John Brophy replaced Paul Byrne.

CollegeTillIDie
29/07/2006, 6:11 PM
Terrible way to lose a game , What a sickener!
Conceding a penalty near the end of a frigging game we looked like certainties to get a draw in

DmanDmythDledge
29/07/2006, 9:40 PM
Some pictures (http://www.bohspics.com/home/thumbnails.php?album=82&page=1) from Bohs website. Mostly Bohs obviously. Biased as well. UCD players breaking up the scuffle between Finn and Joxer were described as ganging up on him and when Farrelly clearly dived at the end he was apparantly "tripped".

BohsFans
29/07/2006, 11:58 PM
Belfield Park is a fuuckin joke to get to from the main campus. :mad:

Been out there loads of times but every time you go back there's a new building or walk way that wasn't there b4!
Sort it out lads, a few signs or something. How are the new fans that your encouraging to go to games meant to find the ground?

CollegeTillIDie
30/07/2006, 3:02 AM
Well we won't be playing there this time next season. But if we were I'd agree 100% with your point.

pineapple stu
30/07/2006, 11:22 AM
Belfield Park is a fuuckin joke to get to from the main campus. :mad:

There are plenty of signs. It's on the maps all around campus, and it's signposted from Foster's Avenue, the main concourse and the engineering car-park where the turn off is.

There's no point putting up any more signs anyway as the aim is to be in the Belfield Bowl by next season.

DmanDmythDledge
30/07/2006, 11:24 AM
The main problem is that there is fencing all over the place and it is impossible to find your way out. I couldn't find my way out of Glenomena for 15/20 minutes!

DmanDmythDledge
30/07/2006, 11:28 AM
But I blame Mad Tom for that!

CollegeTillIDie
30/07/2006, 12:59 PM
UCD V Bohemians:- Quigley; Mahon, McNally, McDonnell, Kenna; McWalter, Finn, Dicker, Ryan; P.Byrne, Sammon SUBS USED:- Kavanagh for McWalter and Brophy for Byrne

What was the attendance?

DmanDmythDledge
30/07/2006, 1:15 PM
Around 950.

pineapple stu
30/07/2006, 5:01 PM
A controversial late penalty denied UCD a share of the spoils against bogey side Bohemians in a poor game played in brilliant sunshine in Belfield Park on Saturday. In a game of few chances, Tony McDonnell was deemed to have handballed a cross from the right in the 90th minute and Des Byrne slotted home the resultant penalty.
After last week's 6-0 drubbing at the hands of Shels, Pete Mahon made four changes to the starting line up. Brian Shortall, Kieran Harte, Stephen Hurley and Derek Doyle made way for Paul Byrne, Ronan Finn, Tony McDonnell and Alan Mahon, giving UCD a close-on full-strength team.
UCD's best chances in the opening half came from errors from Stephen O'Brien in the Bohs goal. First, he flapped at a cross and allowed Paul Byrne a free header, which Byrne probably owuld have scored had he not been playing his first first-team game in nearly two months. Then he was dispossessed by Conor Sammon on his own six-yard box, but no-one was on hand to turn the ball into the empty net and Bohs were able to clear.
At the other end, Gareth Farrelly lined up a free from a dangerous position but, unlike Bohs' recent game against Pat's, he drove his kick harmlessly into the wall.
The second half was more of the same, with about the only talking point being a scuffle between John Paul Kelly and Ronan Finn, already on a yellow card. The referee separated the two from grabbing each others' shirt collars and rather leniently - albeit probably sensibly - decided on a warning rather than a booking apiece, which would have seen UCD reduced to ten men.
As the game drifted towards a goalless conclusion, it appeared UCD had done enough to secure a point and remain ahead of Bohs in the table, but then came the dramatic last-minute penalty.
UCD - Quigley; Mahon, Kenna, McNally, McDonnell; Finn, McWalter (Kavanagh), Dicker, Ryan; Byrne (Brophy), Sammon. Subs not used - Harte, Hussey, AN Other

Poor Student
30/07/2006, 5:14 PM
Horrible stuff. Bad game. Bohs were the better side. As long as the penalty was legitimate (couldn't see the incident to judge one way or another) then you can't complain about the result. UCD haven't won since I came back to Ireland, I just want a damn win, anyhow, anywhere.:(

BohsFans
30/07/2006, 5:20 PM
There are plenty of signs. It's on the maps all around campus, and it's signposted from Foster's Avenue, the main concourse and the engineering car-park where the turn off is.

Yeah because I bring a map with me to every away ground! :rolleyes:

pineapple stu
30/07/2006, 5:52 PM
Which is why we put them up on big signs around campus for you. :rolleyes:

There's one at the Sports Centre and one at the main entrance anyway. There's a couple of others I think as well.

BohsFans
30/07/2006, 7:09 PM
Which is why we put them up on big signs around campus for you. :rolleyes:

There's one at the Sports Centre and one at the main entrance anyway. There's a couple of others I think as well.

Your missing the point.

The place where you need them most is at/between the bus stop and the 'ground'.
I'm not gonna bother walking down to a closed down campus to search for a map and then double back and hope I find the ground walking through the UCD zoo!

Poor Student
30/07/2006, 8:12 PM
Your missing the point.

I'm not gonna bother walking down to a closed down campus to search for a map and then double back and hope I find the ground walking through the UCD zoo!

The ground is considered a write off by the college as they're about to plonk a new research centre on it. They don't bother to mark it out well. From the gate on Foster's Avenue you'd never knew there was a football ground inside it. This was probably your last trip to Belfield Park as we expect to be in the Belfield Bowl at the other end of the campus next season.

pineapple stu
30/07/2006, 8:29 PM
Your missing the point.

I'm not missing the point at all.

The ground is signposted from the main entrance (where you're most likely to be driving in or walking in from the bus), the turn-off at the engineering block (where you'll need to park and walk down), from the Foster's Avenue entrance (where you may be driving to, or getting the bus to) and from the Sports Centre (where you may mistakenly end up).

If you can't find it after all that...

Poor Student
30/07/2006, 8:49 PM
http://www.bohemians.ie/goals.htm#2006

It was definitely a penalty. Not a lot that Tony could do about it, but that's the breaks.

pineapple stu
30/07/2006, 8:55 PM
That's never a penalty. You've contradicted yourself in saying that there wasn't anything Tony could do about it as well.

Poor Student
30/07/2006, 8:56 PM
That's never a penalty. You've contradicted yourself in saying that there wasn't anything Tony could do about it as well.

I think there's only a certain amount of leeway that can be given in unintentional handballs. What's the letter of the law on it?

pineapple stu
30/07/2006, 8:58 PM
Handball is when -

(a) a player deliberately moves his hand in the way of the ball. I don't think this happened. Tony's hand didn't seem to move to the ball.
(b) A player deliberately doesn't move his hand out of the way of the ball. That certainly isn't the case here as there wasn't time to do that.

Poor Student
30/07/2006, 9:01 PM
Right, my mistake, hmmmm, under those laws I'd say it wasn't. Ball definitely struck hand but there was no intention and nothing he could have done about it.

Schumi
31/07/2006, 12:07 PM

The ground is signposted from the main entrance (where you're most likely to be driving in or walking in from the bus), the turn-off at the engineering block (where you'll need to park and walk down), from the Foster's Avenue entrance (where you may be driving to, or getting the bus to) and from the Sports Centre (where you may mistakenly end up).

The signs near the Stillorgan gate direct you to the athletics track from where you can't reach the ground anymore. You have to go through Glenomena now and there aren't any signs there.

BohsFans
31/07/2006, 2:48 PM

If you can't find it after all that...

It's a ****in nightmare to find from the bus stop that's what it is!

I'd say we'll be back there next season seems as nothing visible has happened on your new ground yet.

BohsFans
31/07/2006, 2:52 PM

By handling the ball he stopped Wardy from getting past him and creating or shooting from a dangerous goalscoring position.
Penalty - end of.

Also try putting the shoe on the other foot, your striker going through in the last minute.

Student Mullet
31/07/2006, 2:59 PM
It's a ****in nightmare to find from the bus stop that's what it is!

I'd say we'll be back there next season seems as nothing visible has happened on your new ground yet.Belfield Park will be demolished as soon as planning comes in for the biotechnology centre so either way we won't be there next season. I noticed cycling in this morning that the campus signage on Fosters Avenue has already changed.

pineapple stu
31/07/2006, 6:38 PM
By handling the ball he stopped Wardy from getting past him and creating or shooting from a dangerous goalscoring position.
Penalty - end of.
I've given my take on it. Not all incidents of ball hitting hand are fouls. I honestly don't think Tony had enough time to react to the flick, and nor did he deliberately stick his hand up to block the ball. If you got a penalty everytime the ball hit your hand, football would consist of people walloping the ball at opponents' arms for 90 minutes.

Also try putting the shoe on the other foot, your striker going through in the last minute.
:confused:

BohsFans
01/08/2006, 2:57 PM
:confused:

You would scream penalty.

All semantics anyway, we've got the 3 points. :)

DmanDmythDledge
01/08/2006, 3:03 PM
After seeing the incident on EL weekly if the laws of the game were implemented then no penalty should have been given.

However I think that the rules of the game regarding hand balls are ridiculous. Ward probably would have had possession of the ball and be in a position to cross the ball. The fact that it was ball-to-hand does not take away this fact. If a similar incident was to happen on the goal line and a goal was prevented, it wouldn't make sense not to award a penalty. I feel that the referee made his own decision on the hand ball incident, while still the right decision, should not have been given.

pineapple stu
01/08/2006, 6:23 PM
You would scream penalty.
Funny then that there was bugger all of a shout from the Bohs fans and players. The noise appears to have been turned up on the highlights at that moment (as they have been known to do many times before)

All semantics anyway, we've got the 3 points. :)
True... :(

BohsFans
01/08/2006, 9:58 PM
Funny then that there was bugger all of a shout from the Bohs fans and players. The noise appears to have been turned up on the highlights at that moment (as they have been known to do many times before)

just accept it!

You always seem to look for something else that doesn't matter!

Was there a shout? Was the noise turned up?

Who cares.

Aberdonian Stu
01/08/2006, 10:02 PM
Could the two of you just agree to differ please? It's obvious that neither one of you is going to change their view any time this century.

BohsPartisan
02/08/2006, 7:54 AM
Once the arm is outstretched like it was it is a penalty. The interpretation is that you shouldn't have your arm out. If it was the other way around and you didn't get the penalty you'd be complaining and rightly so.
On the other issue, I spent 4 years "studying" at UCD and another 5 years working there and I get lost going to Belfield Park these days.

bambi
02/08/2006, 12:03 PM
What about our clear penalty in the first half when digger was trying to clear the ball and sammon nicked it away and diggers follow through took sammon out!!! Anywhere else on the pitch and its a free. The ref bottled it as they always do with UCD.

CollegeTillIDie
03/08/2006, 7:17 AM
I feel asleep during EL Weekly . A) were we on and if so B) how did the penalty incident on TV?

pineapple stu
03/08/2006, 8:08 AM
just accept it!

You always seem to look for something else that doesn't matter!

Was there a shout? Was the noise turned up?

Who cares.
So you note that if it'd been a Bohs defender who had done that, we would have "scream[ed] penalty", but when I point out that Bohs fans in the event did nothing of the sort, you throw a hysterical rant?

Fair enough.

BohsPartisan
03/08/2006, 8:15 AM
eh, once again - clear penalty:
http://www.bohemians.ie/UCD%20V%20BOHS%20WEB%2029-07-06.wmv

Particularly look at the bit about half way on where Mahon is being interviewed and it is shown with magnification.

nshoop
03/08/2006, 5:14 PM
Having seen el weekly and bohs website I think it was a definite peno,his arm was up in the air and the bohs fella would've ran onto it

BohsFans
05/08/2006, 4:34 PM
So you note that if it'd been a Bohs defender who had done that, we would have "scream[ed] penalty", but when I point out that Bohs fans in the event did nothing of the sort, you throw a hysterical rant?

Fair enough.

you just proved my point pineapple! :)

Now let it go :rolleyes:

btw the footage on the site and TV3 are the same in case anyone hadn't noticed.

pineapple stu
07/08/2006, 1:38 PM
you just proved my point pineapple! :)
I've actually disproved your point. Subtle difference there.