PDA

View Full Version : Dublin city the book/film!

Ringo
29/07/2006, 7:31 AM
Trying to put together , peoples memories of Dublin city, the little stories,the funny times the sad times, the stupid things. We started talking in the bar the other night & said we need to write them down. Heres some of mine.

1.I’d just watch a game against Finn Harps in Whitehall, we were beaten, but worst of, I felt demoralised as the Finn harps fans belted out song after song and banged their drums.They'd also taken our section over:mad: . The next morning I rang the rep from Walton’s & ordered a big bass drum. The following match I arrived & started banging it. Some hated it, some loved it. But I felt I was helping the team. :)

2. Gilller getting 3 month ban after The Sligo Rovers game. Don O'Riordan getting sent to the stand, trying to stand behind the dugout & give instructons , with us Shouting in his ear & banging the drum loudly. Philip with a "get off the wall, get off the wall, get off the wall " mantra that was like a chinese torture.

3. Dublin City V Bray. Robbie Farrell going down ("stay down Robbie") , like he'd been shot. That fcuking Seagull. I took up my usual position with my Drum & was asked to move by an Eircom league Stewart. I refused to move, after the year we’d had, I stood in the same spot banging that drum, I’d never seen half of these guys before & now they wanted me to move. After a torturous 90 minutes +, a one all draw was enough to give us the first division title. It was hard to scramble over the wall with the drum, but it felt great, running onto the pitch. You don't get nights like that too often.

4. The old lad, can't remember his name, smoked some mad cigs that smelled like turf , he passed away R.I.P.. But was always at every game.

5. Playing against Kilkenny, danny lost his phone , behind the goal. we started looking for it , in the long grass. Theres about ten of us walking back & forward trying to find it. My phone rings & Rocky says "what the fcuk are you lot doing down there ":D

Maynard
01/08/2006, 2:13 PM
Will throw together something with a bit of shape to it at the laptop and mail it to you. I'll post it here too if I can but it might run a bit long.

Still in bits by the way:(

NY Hoop
01/08/2006, 2:44 PM
Will throw together something with a bit of shape to it at the laptop and mail it to you. I'll post it here too if I can but it might run a bit long.

Still in bits by the way:(

Right I'm not slagging you but surely you saw this coming??

KOH

Maynard
01/08/2006, 2:50 PM
Right I'm not slagging you but surely you saw this coming??

KOH

Short answer, no. Can honestly say I don't think anybody associated with the club expected to get a call last Wednesday to say that it was all over right there and then without any forewarning from the big little fella.

Generally speaking we were hoping to finish as high up the table this season and see where that left us sitting with John Delaney's Making the World Square project.

That's just being honest mate.

NY Hoop
01/08/2006, 3:19 PM
Short answer, no. Can honestly say I don't think anybody associated with the club expected to get a call last Wednesday to say that it was all over right there and then without any forewarning from the big little fella.

Generally speaking we were hoping to finish as high up the table this season and see where that left us sitting with John Delaney's Making the World Square project.

That's just being honest mate.

Appreciate that. I didnt mean overnight but you dont have to be an economist to know that if your income is a fiver and your expenditure is a score that it cannot last.

It's just that I'm staggered that some people are shocked at this.

KOH

Ronnie
01/08/2006, 3:30 PM
Except, from on economics perspective that every club has now or in the past worked off the same ridiculous starting point.

NY Hoop
01/08/2006, 3:39 PM
Except, from on economics perspective that every club has now or in the past worked off the same ridiculous starting point.

You're forgetting one absolutely crucial aspect. The other clubs have a fanbase.

KOH

Sheridan
01/08/2006, 3:45 PM
Whether Dublin City was a viable enterprise in the long term is as arguable as whether professional football itself is a viable enterprise in this country (although I suspect that the answers are identical), but despite the ex post facto sagacity of well-wishers such as yourself ( :rolleyes: ) the club's demise wasn't quite the foregone conclusion as which it's being presented. The fact is that funding was in place to play out the season (at least) but was yanked unexpectedly at the last minute. Any eL club would be in imminent danger of extinction if a sum equivalent to half its playing budget was revoked without warning.

A similar event was only narrowly averted in late 2004, towards the end of Roddy's tenure (and possibly again since then, more than once) so I knew the club's tenuous lifeline was fraying all the time. But, if you'll forgive the macabre analogy, if one has a frail old relative of whom one is very fond, his sudden death at a ripe old age is no easier to take by virtue of being somewhat expected, nor does that fact diminish the sense of losss.

NY Hoop
01/08/2006, 3:53 PM
I'm no well wisher of CHF:D I had argued against your inclusion from day one. But IMO it would have been better from a league point of view to finish the season.

I had also argued against St Francis and St James Gate in the league as, again, they had no fanbase. Like yourselves no loss.

KOH