PDA

View Full Version : Champions League Draw

bigmac
28/07/2006, 10:15 AM
Cork to play AC Milan if they get through against Red Star! If AC are thrown out by UEFA, then their opponents will be given a bye to the group stages!!

monzo
28/07/2006, 10:19 AM
Heh five seconds before it came, I predicted AC Milan to play Cork or Red Star; five seconds later AC Milan to play Cork or Red Star.

Are you sure about that second statement?

bigmac
28/07/2006, 10:23 AM
That was what they said on the BBC commentary. I'm not 100% sure of it - I don't suppose there is a precedent out there - if they're thrown out though, then either the other team are given a bye, or another Italian team takes their place. I'm sure somebody somewhere will know which it is.

pete
28/07/2006, 10:25 AM
I have been predicting this ever since Milan allowed back in. Best possible draw. :D

If Red Star beat City.

Milan thrown out.
Red Star into CL group stages
City into Uefa Cup 1st round...

De Town
28/07/2006, 10:27 AM
Ah if only City had a full team!

bigmac
28/07/2006, 10:50 AM
I have been predicting this ever since Milan allowed back in. Best possible draw. :D

If Red Star beat City.

Milan thrown out.

Will that happen though? There seems to be a precedent in cup competitions that once a team is beaten they're out, more likely that another team will get a bye rather than Cork reinstated. A bit similar to the DC affair maybe

Pablo
28/07/2006, 10:54 AM

If Red Star beat City.

Milan thrown out.

is that an assumption?

Risteard
28/07/2006, 10:56 AM
Ah if only City had a full team!
Or a world class team.

Baker
28/07/2006, 10:57 AM
Will that happen though? There seems to be a precedent in cup competitions that once a team is beaten they're out, more likely that another team will get a bye rather than Cork reinstated. A bit similar to the DC affair maybe

However wont the decision on Milan be made before the second leg is decided?

De Town
28/07/2006, 10:58 AM
Or a world class team.
I just mean a full team to get past Red Star. Never mind beating Milan.

Risteard
28/07/2006, 11:01 AM
Ya, unfortunately we don't have a chance in hell following the two lads suspensions.

Terry
28/07/2006, 11:04 AM
However wont the decision on Milan be made before the second leg is decided?

decision due on milan on the 2nd of august

monkey magic
28/07/2006, 1:47 PM

If Red Star beat City.

Milan thrown out.
well thats wrong anyways - your giving one team a bye and reinstating another... it will either be one or the other i.e. a bye for red star and the team that would have met the losers of milan/red star or the reinstatement of the next place italian team

drinkfeckarse
28/07/2006, 3:01 PM
Ya, unfortunately we don't have a chance in hell following the two lads suspensions.

Stranger things have happened Risteard.......

oh no you're right actually. :D

pete
28/07/2006, 5:57 PM
Word is that Uefa will decide if its Milan or Palermo. I presume there is a knock on affect in the Uefa Cup.

IMO this is stupid & Uefa should have enforced a deadline on Italy. There is no way they would have allow say the eircom league delay their choice of teams for the competitions.

Its also unfair on City & Red Star as they have less time to prepare properly & a massive difference between playing Milan & Palermo. For example city might buy a big star with projected earnings against Milan - money they would not earn against Palermo...

BohsFans
28/07/2006, 6:00 PM
Word is that Uefa will decide if its Milan or Palermo. I presume there is a knock on affect in the Uefa Cup.

IMO this is stupid & Uefa should have enforced a deadline on Italy. There is no way they would have allow say the eircom league delay their choice of teams for the competitions.

Its also unfair on City & Red Star as they have less time to prepare properly & a massive difference between playing Milan & Palermo. For example city might buy a big star with projected earnings against Milan - money they would not earn against Palermo...

Ridden rock solid from Switzerland this time? :p