PDA

View Full Version : Ger Crossley

DruggyDrog
27/07/2006, 11:43 AM
Doing a bit of research on the careers of our succesful underage international players. Am I correct in saying that Ger Crossley ended up at Galway at some stage? If so, when was this, how did he do and any idea where he went/where is he now?

Any info appreciated, thanks.

JW.
27/07/2006, 11:58 AM
Yeah he played with us for 2/3 seasons, did average but faded, I think he ended up at Cliftonville, dunno where he is now. Common consensus was that his attitude wasn't great and he generally seemed somewhat out of shape - two flaws often readily attributed to League of Ireland players whose preceding employment was at a higher level.

Paddyfield
27/07/2006, 3:49 PM
I think he was our only full time professional at the time - in a team of part-timers. He had nothing to do all day and all day to do it.

A Phoenix
27/07/2006, 6:31 PM
Don O’Riordan brought him in at the start of the 2000/01 season. He occupied a centre-midfield position with little distinction for the first half of the season. When it became obvious that he wasn’t going to make any contribution there, he was moved to full-back for the remainder of the season where he was an enthusiastic throw in taker. I think he moved on to Shelbourne either at the end of that season or very early in the next. I don’t think he made a great impression there. He was with Cliftonville a few seasons later.

I hated the little *****. Every time I saw that he was still in the team I was fit to be tied.

MyTown
28/07/2006, 10:54 AM
Apparently he came highly recommended to Don O'Riordan. The recommendation came from the then National Youth teams manager........Brian Kerr.

Ger Crossley was a huge disappointment in Galway. Maybe his head was just wrong. I don't think he ever settled in town. He was a very young lad who came with with a footballing reputation he did not live up to. I think he became a father at a very young age also & this coincided with his arrival in Galway.

From the club's perspective it was an expensive mistake. From his perspective, I'd say it was a total disaster.

DruggyDrog
31/07/2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks lads. The words out of shape, faded, and mistake seem to repeat themselves elsewhere as well. Thanks.