PDA

View Full Version : Worst. Season. Ever.

pdebruin
26/07/2006, 9:28 PM
Hi,

Enough is enough. Never buying a season ticket again.. hardly any Friday night matches, the fare that is served up on the pitch is complete tripe, selling our talented players and nobody seems to mind..... we don't score goals and we concede far too many. How many last 10 minute goals can one team concede?? "oh, we played well in the first half....we were really unlucky, if we hadn't conceded those two soft goals early on etc.."...am...no....we were rubbish. We're getting too used to this carry on, people justifying it etc.. People argue that Bray can't get the attendance for matches and we can't compete?? When the football that is being played is reasonable and if the games were marketed correctly and the matchday not switched at a moments notice without any warning, they would get crowds. The last few years there have been great crowds and Bray have driven them away.....the stand was for the most part full when we were doing well and consistently playing on friday nights.....yes, enough is enough, i'm not supporting that garbage with season ticket money any more, I know the people i go to matches with feel just about the same way. ...looking forward to the run in to the season??.....between 16 Sept and 17 november we have 1 home match....1n 2 months!!....what a climax....rubbish.

Stevo Da Gull
26/07/2006, 10:21 PM
It's been no barrel of laughs but I could'nt stop going to matches if I wanted to, I'm hooked.

pdebruin
26/07/2006, 11:30 PM
...ha ha...i know, i thought i never stop going too....of course i'll keep going to the odd game, but there was a time when friday's were completely "off limits" regarding other plans....not so much now....but from being a regular, you miss one or two when they are switched...go and see a couple of dreadful performances and see some of our (supposedly) better players sold...it's easier than you might think to lose (paying) fans...

Eoingull
26/07/2006, 11:49 PM
What worries me the most is the "ahh sure" attitude in post-match comments. Talking about bad luck at this stage is ridiculous. I couldn't believe what Tony McGuirk was saying on EL Weekly on Monday. The start of any recovery is to accept responsibility. I hope to God this isn't what's being said in the changing room. I'd be much happier to hear him say "we weren't good enough, and it's just not acceptable".
I'm also concerned about the stories I hear of personality clashes between the management and certain players. They're not there to love each other...just to put the best team out on the pitch, and to win the game.
Sitting in the Carlisle on Sunday...and after four consecutive home games with a grand total of ONE point...and even that was a fluke...I began to wonder if Bray Wanderers AFC are aware that they have plenty of supporters who are passionate about the club...or do they think we view it all as a harmless bit of fun..."ah sure!" Jesus, I think back to the Derry game where I got a Bus Eireann coach up by myself, and slept in a hostel just to get to the match...I'm beginning to think I need my head examined.
I think this is why I've found Franco's attitude so refreshing these past two games...he actually looks like he still "believes", and is looking forward, rather than whinging about things.
Having said all this, I agree with Stevo...I'm hooked, and as long as I can go to games, I will. The situation will have to be sorted out...one way or another.

pdebruin
27/07/2006, 12:02 AM
...I agree with everything you said, (the ah sure attitude) except that for the club to think supporters will keep going to games (rain, hail, shine, no matter you keep selling players) is arrogant...i'll bet if you took another couple of trips and were consistently seeing poor football (with poor results) the enthusiasm would dull quite a bit.

I foolishly thought we would do quite well this season, i think that is where a lot of the disappointment comes from...multiply that by what comes across as a lack of ambition (ambition probably isn't the correct term...more like a lack of belief...) by the club and.....

Stevo Da Gull
27/07/2006, 12:11 AM
I think this is why I've found Franco's attitude so refreshing these past two games...he actually looks like he still "believes", and is looking forward, rather than whinging about things.

Totally agree, I hope he never loses that love and enjoyment of the game that he plays with.

Eoingull
27/07/2006, 12:23 AM
Y'know, one other thing that crossed my mind lately, was regarding potential Player of the Year votes...I genuinely couldn't think of a player who has stood out over the 17 league games so far...I'd have to do it by way of who was "least bad"! Sad, but true...

Stevo Da Gull
27/07/2006, 12:27 AM
...I agree with everything you said, (the ah sure attitude) except that for the club to think supporters will keep going to games (rain, hail, shine, no matter you keep selling players) is arrogant...i'll bet if you took another couple of trips and were consistently seeing poor football (with poor results) the enthusiasm would dull quite a bit.

I foolishly thought we would do quite well this season, i think that is where a lot of the disappointment comes from...multiply that by what comes across as a lack of ambition (ambition probably isn't the correct term...more like a lack of belief...) by the club and.....

Well I cant tell you what everyone will do but I reckon that as long as I'm in the counrty and have money then I'll go and I think and certainly hope that thats the case with a lot of the people who I know that go to games. That said, obviously if your'e losing games atttendances will drop, and if youre stuck at the bottom then they'll be pretty bad.

pdebruin
27/07/2006, 12:36 AM
well every club will always have a smaller section of devoted fans...but for the club to prosper it has got to attract the casual fan, as well as maybe attract new, younger fans...they are not going to be able to do that by constantly selling players (or giving them away) and by serving up dross to watch on the pitch.......I happily watched Bray in the first division, I don't want to come across as a fair weather supporter (has there ever been a time that supporting Bray could be classed as fair weather??), it's the on the pitch attitudes that's disappointing me.

Stevo Da Gull
27/07/2006, 12:36 AM
Y'know, one other thing that crossed my mind lately, was regarding potential Player of the Year votes...I genuinely couldn't think of a player who has stood out over the 17 league games so far...I'd have to do it by way of who was "least bad"! Sad, but true...

Skippy and Robbie Doyle spring to mind for me. I know that he's only had a couple of games but if Franco holds his place and keeps playing well then he'd be a candidate. And if Caffo can find a bit more consistency he'd be up there too. I'm probably forgetting someone because it's late and I'm tired;)

pdebruin
27/07/2006, 12:38 AM
...can i just add (I know it has kind of come up in conversation but).... a thread called worst season ever has turned into speculation as to who will win the player of the year award!!!!

Eoingull
27/07/2006, 12:38 AM
Yeah...going to see the Wanderers is part of my life, in the sense that this is where I am from. Surely, that's the difference between supporting the League of Ireland, and foreign leagues...not that I think there's anything wrong with following overseas teams...it's just that if you like football, and there's a team just up the road, why wouldn't you go?

pdebruin
27/07/2006, 12:44 AM
Yeah...going to see the Wanderers is part of my life, in the sense that this is where I am from. Surely, that's the difference between supporting the League of Ireland, and foreign leagues...not that I think there's anything wrong with following overseas teams...it's just that if you like football, and there's a team just up the road, why wouldn't you go?

I feel the same way, I like watching football but have never "supported" an English or foreign club........I actually had a few converts too, people in work that i told Bray matches were great to watch, that they'd get hooked, they should watch a live local team etc....and they did to a certain extent....people were asking would we be going to the game on Friday...i'd have to say, "oh, that's been put back to Sunday" or "that was already played on Wednesday" .

sligoman
27/07/2006, 12:56 AM
Actually lads, what's the story with Devlin, is he "officially" still yer manager or what?:confused:.

Seagull
27/07/2006, 4:59 PM
Skippy and Robbie Doyle spring to mind for me. I know that he's only had a couple of games but if Franco holds his place and keeps playing well then he'd be a candidate. And if Caffo can find a bit more consistency he'd be up there too. I'm probably forgetting someone because it's late and I'm tired;)
Robbie Doyle player of the season????????? Says it all about this season really...:eek:

Green&whitearmy
27/07/2006, 8:58 PM
Agree with everything that has been said on this thread. There is no belief in alot of the players, no spirit in them, Tony needs to do something very quick to halt our demise.

Agree with Franco and Doyler really the only two players trying to achieve somthing for the club. They all need a good kick up the arse.

Cabinteelygull
28/07/2006, 10:54 AM
It has indeed been a bad season, no arguments here! But maybe a better reaction to this would be to really get behind the team rather than to give up on them.

Pdebruin: I understand your feelings because i've experienced them myself as im sure we all have (we support Bray ffs) but i would encourage you not to lose faith. There have been worse seasons than this and things have picked up eventually, 'patience, give me some of that sweet patience lord!':D
Eoingull:I was both impressed and inspired by your derry story. If we could transfer that kind of passion onto the stands every match then maybe that could give the players the 'kick up the backside' that they badly need.

I am in no way putting down the bray support. The passion i see in a lot of our fans would rival any in the country,Eoingull's story proves that, i just think that if the fans really stuck with the team and gave their best support this year the players might wake up and realise what this club means to people. Just my opinion. End :ball:

Bray Head
28/07/2006, 12:38 PM
Actually lads, what's the story with Devlin, is he "officially" still yer manager or what?:confused:.
Yes, Devo is still offically the manager of Bray. He won't give it up. He's only away while he's involved with the Irish B team which involves looking at all the Eircom League players. He's also been busy lately with another Duff transfer. He should give up been manager and stay on in his role of director of football. Then we should get in a proper manager with LOI experience. The manager's role is the most inportant role in the club as you are judged by the results on the pitch and ours have been terrible this season. At this rate we will be very lucky to make the new premier division next season.

BrayUnknowns
28/07/2006, 1:05 PM
We've had worse seasons in fairness. Personally i don't think it's all bad. Yeah on the pitch things could be going better but some off the stuff happening behind the scenes is very exciting.

Grey Boy
28/07/2006, 1:25 PM
This is probably the most depressing thread I've ever read on the Bray section. But it's all true. What is going on with our club. I'm used to the club being run badly off the pitch ( no jerseys for sale ...etc) but it's now extended to the pitch as well. Is it just me or does anyone else feel helpless?

BrayUnknowns
28/07/2006, 1:58 PM
I'm sorry but your way off the mark there, the club off the pitch is one of the best run in the league, just because there are no jerseys for sale doesn't mean there badly run. They know this is a major issue and are trying to get the problem sorted from talking to people in the club.

braysnumber1
28/07/2006, 4:30 PM
off the pitch (except in the stands at match days) the club is very healthy. its properly run, finances gud and constant ground improvement - new stand been installed of now, hopefully ready for derry game next week. but on the pitch huge improvement needed current squad not gud enough need more new recruits.

i think all supporters need to get down to all games and get behind the team, join in with the singing and support the team as much as u physically and mentally can.

CollegeTillIDie
28/07/2006, 6:29 PM
Lads

This cannot be worse than 1993/94 when you had to apply for re-election in fairness. Keep the faith, after all Bray's traditional FAI Cup win is due in 2008! I, speaking as a fan of a rival club, wouldn't like to see the Wanderers go the route of Bray Unknowns (RIP).

Stevo Da Gull
28/07/2006, 8:11 PM
Things are'nt going great on the pitch but I reckon that with the new stand and more work planned that things are pretty exciting off it.

I agree with the posters on here (notably Cabinteelygull and braysnumber1) that we should be getting behind the team.
It's times like this when character and a bond between supporters and players are built. Anyone can sing `Wanderers till I die` when times are good and you're taking points off of the top teams. It's times like this (now) when the team could do with the support.

It's obvious on here that not everyone is fond of every player but surely as long as the players are giving their all then supporting them is the best thing to do. Obviously people will be expressing their dis-pleasure when things are bad, after all we are all passionate about the club and it shows that we care (I mean if people were happy with the way things are going on the pitch then there'd be a real problem), but I just think that there's much more to be achieved from getting behind the team. There's my two-cents anyhow;)

Cabinteelygull
28/07/2006, 8:20 PM
Spot on.

Grey Boy
29/07/2006, 2:11 PM
I'm sorry but your way off the mark there, the club off the pitch is one of the best run in the league, just because there are no jerseys for sale doesn't mean there badly run. They know this is a major issue and are trying to get the problem sorted from talking to people in the club.

Yeah fair enough although not sure about WAY off the mark. I'm just feeling sorry for myself. But it's really the lack of dynamism that annoys me. And on top of that hearing that McGuirk isn't getting on with some of the players and selling Wes (still don't understand that). That doesn't instill me with confidence.

connaman
18/08/2006, 9:38 AM
Just like to say that i agree with you on the subject of jerseys for sale if I said I have been trying for 3 seasons to get a new jersey and have now given up you will know who I am . I wonder has someone told the club that they will not be relegated this season no matter how badly they do because I can see no other reason for the total lack of passion or organisation on and of the pitch this year . I think McCuirk has had his chance and he should be replaced by someone who has some standing in EL football Pat Dolan springs to mind if we could afford him. I will still go to the Carlisle whenever i can in the hope that things will improve.

pdebruin
19/08/2006, 8:51 AM
....Saw this was bumped, so thought I would add:

...if I felt the team wasn't talented enough to do better, then I wouldn't be as bothered by poor result after poor result, I feel they are underachieving as a team (players and manager). I respect that a lot of people do good hard work to keep the club healthy off the pitch, and the club does look to be improving in that respect.....

....but supporters come to games to watch their team (try to) win games of football, or to see a (hopefully) exciting game... not to watch their team get beaten by 2 or 3 clear goals every week. Everyone seems to have just written this season off within the club as it seems we will not be relegated come what may - but what kind of response is that to the fans that come down and PAY money to support the team...we will sing and cheer when their is something to sing and cheer about.