PDA

View Full Version : Ground ownership or otherwise

passerrby
26/07/2006, 6:45 PM
Ive just been reading another thread that got me thinking what is the situation with prem and first div grounds which are owned ,leased, borrowed or otherwise.

soccerc
26/07/2006, 9:44 PM
Ive just been reading another thread that got me thinking what is the situation with prem and first div grounds which are owned ,leased, borrowed or otherwise.
Simply put they are either owned, leased, borrowed or otherwise.

Paddyfield
26/07/2006, 9:51 PM
Terryland Park is owned by the Galway & District League.
Galway United are mere tannants.

sonofstan
26/07/2006, 9:51 PM
Bohs - ground owned outright
Bray - Owned by Town Council
Cork City - Munster FA owns Turner's Cross? leased by CC?
Derry - Brandywell owned by derry City Council
Drogs - Owned by FAI
Longford - Owned by club
Pat's - Ground owned by people involved with the club, but who owns the club these days?
Shels- F**K knows - its basically leased from DCC, but they've sold off some./ all of their interest to ?
Sligo - owned by Trust in perpetuity for the club
UCD - ground owned by college
Waterford - RSC owned by WCC

feel free to correct me
Edited in light of info below

gspain
26/07/2006, 10:00 PM
Limerick's ground is held in trust by Fr. Joe Young and Hogan. We have a short lease and it is not looking good.

steno
26/07/2006, 10:39 PM
Kildare County play at Newbridge town FC

gael353
26/07/2006, 10:48 PM
Limerick's ground is held in trust by Fr. Joe Young and Hogan. We have a short lease and it is not looking good.

Yes agree and our short term lease is from the tennants of the ground a junior club called hill celtic. Great deals done reg sarrounding lands which will be all worth nothing if the lease isnt signed within the next few weeks/months.

The Stars
26/07/2006, 10:50 PM
taken from the sligorovers.com Taken from here (http://www.sligorovers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=37)

Sligo Rovers is the first major soccer club in Europe to operate on co-operative principles. Since 1998, it has been owned and controlled by the community of Sligo and is operated solely for the benefit of the community.

The home of Sligo Rovers, the Showgrounds, was purchased in 1968 by a trust foundation which ensures the ground can never be sold, mortgaged or used for any purpose other than sport and leisure

nshoop
26/07/2006, 11:17 PM
major soccer club in Europe

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The Stars
26/07/2006, 11:20 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
not my words...from sligorovers.com;)

what do you expect them to put in
"the first club in the North West of Ireland....."

Dr.Nightdub
26/07/2006, 11:21 PM
Richmond Park is actually composed of four separate plots of land, on each of which Pats hold a sporting-use lease that doesn't expire until 2049. However the club is actively negotiating to acquire the freehold on as much as possible of the ground. Pats also own some of the land on the far side of the Camac outright.

BTW, the same people own the club that have owned it for the last couple of years - the majority shareholders are Andy O'Callaghan and Gerry Mulvey.

Please note the use of the present tense in all of the above. ;)

De Town
27/07/2006, 12:05 AM
we own Flancare Park.

joema
27/07/2006, 2:40 AM
Kilkenny City own Buckley Park 100% :)

Battery Rover
27/07/2006, 7:06 AM
To the best of my knowledge at the moment we own both St Mels Park and the new ground 100%, even though the new ground is being built under a different company ie Athlone Town Stadium Ltd. When we move into the new ground St Mels Park will be handed over to the local council as there was a land swap. Not a bad deal 10 acres of prime development land for our new ground in exchange for St Mels Park.

drinkfeckarse
27/07/2006, 8:01 AM
The Ramblers own St Colmans Park.

Ronnie
27/07/2006, 8:39 AM
Funny that, the big clus own feck all and win the trophies and the small clubs win feck all and own their grounds - ah the conundrum of Irish soccer!

bad mongo
27/07/2006, 10:42 AM
Richmond Park is actually composed of four separate plots of land, on each of which Pats hold a sporting-use lease that doesn't expire until 2049. However the club is actively negotiating to acquire the freehold on as much as possible of the ground. Pats also own some of the land on the far side of the Camac outright.

BTW, the same people own the club that have owned it for the last couple of years - the majority shareholders are Andy O'Callaghan and Gerry Mulvey.

Please note the use of the present tense in all of the above. ;)

TBH I don't really understand Pats fans acceptance of Richmond now being secure from redevelopment as apartments. Of all the Dublin grounds it has the most obvious potential site value per acre (don't suppose you noticed that 9 storey apartment block next door!), could the purchase of mcDowells not be a sop to persuade fans you will always have a "presence" in Inchicore?

Is it common knowledge who owns the leases on the lands of Richmond pk?, as opposed to the holding and trading companies of the club?

Any insights much appreciated..

Schumi
27/07/2006, 11:29 AM
AFAIK Bray's ground is owned by Bray town council. Do the FAI own United Park in Drogheda? Think they used to anyway.

Dodge
27/07/2006, 11:37 AM
TBH I don't really understand Pats fans acceptance of Richmond now being secure from redevelopment as apartments. Of all the Dublin grounds it has the most obvious potential site value per acre (don't suppose you noticed that 9 storey apartment block next door!), could the purchase of mcDowells not be a sop to persuade fans you will always have a "presence" in Inchicore?

Is it common knowledge who owns the leases on the lands of Richmond pk?, as opposed to the holding and trading companies of the club?

Any insights much appreciated..
Where do you see that we've accepted anythign, most fans just said its a welcome development. A few here were involved in a meeting with the baord a couple of weeks ago and myself and wws were far from happy with the answers received. (although I don't think the "McDowells being Pats presence in Inchicore" is true). There were positives though and we haven't had them in a long time.

Its not common knowledge but most active pats fans know who owns what (or at least 95% of it)

bad mongo
27/07/2006, 11:47 AM
Where do you see that we've accepted anythign, most fans just said its a welcome development. A few here were involved in a meeting with the baord a couple of weeks ago and myself and wws were far from happy with the answers received. (although I don't think the "McDowells being Pats presence in Inchicore" is true). There were positives though and we haven't had them in a long time.

Its not common knowledge but most active pats fans know who owns what (or at least 95% of it)

Fair enough. I was under the impression that it was seen as nailed down by Pats fans that you are staying in Inchicore.

Any talk of a "no-brainer":rolleyes: of selling up and heading out on the LUAS with a swag bag to Tallaght? Surprised you aren't being hussled to at least make noises in that direction to aid the Tallaght stadium Judicial review

Dodge
27/07/2006, 12:02 PM
In fairness some fans see it as being nailed on we'll stay. Not all of us though.

tallaght is such a legal and logistical nightmare now I think everyone (football wise) bar Rovers wants to stay away from it

BohsPartisan
27/07/2006, 12:15 PM
AFAIK the FAI own united park in Drogheda and the Drogs just have a long term lease.
This is what I was told by a Drogs fan anyway.

BohsPartisan
27/07/2006, 12:27 PM
Just had it confirmed by a Drogs fan:

True but drogs can buy it back off them for something like 20k providing all funds from sale go to a new stadium

De Town
27/07/2006, 12:52 PM
AFAIK Bray's ground is owned by Bray town council. Do the FAI own United Park in Drogheda? Think they used to anyway.
Yeah AFAIK the FAI own United Park.

EDIT: didn't notice BohsPartisan's post!

sonofstan
27/07/2006, 1:05 PM
I've edited the list at the top of the premier clubs to reflect the information added

First Division:
Athlone - owned outright, being swapped with UDC for new site
Cobh - owned by club
Dundalk -?
Finn Harps - owned by club
Galway - owned by local league
Kildare - ground owned by Newbridge Town
Kilkenny - owned by club
Limerick - held in trust
Monaghan - owned by club
Shamrock Rovers -Hee, Hee...

SÓC
27/07/2006, 2:08 PM
Turners X is a complicated set up.

The Free hold is help by some fella in Canada. The long term lease is held by the FAI who either sub let it or sold their lease hold interest (not sure of the specifics) to the Munster FA with the expresse clause that a Cork League of Ireland team has to be allowed play there for a reasonable rent.

In fairness some fans see it as being nailed on we'll stay. Not all of us though.

tallaght is such a legal and logistical nightmare now I think everyone (football wise) bar Rovers wants to stay away from it

Does the purchase of McDowell's not make you very nervious in terms of access? D8 has gone through the roof price wise...

Dodge
27/07/2006, 3:17 PM
Not really. There's zoning issues and loads of other stuff thats going on, plus from the meetings we've had they're fairly serious about making a go of the pub. Its a possibility alright but we'll see