PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive guide to Stuttgart

Mento
26/07/2006, 6:44 PM
We at YouBoysInGreen will be bringing our 5th edition of the fanzine to Germany.
Two of us are heading to Stuttgart in 2 weeks for 2 days so we will have an extrensive guide in issue 5.
we are also in discussions with a national newspaper who will insert the guide in their paper prior to match day.

Part of the plan is to visit every irish bar, get pics directions, prices (Will they bump up prices etc). entertainment, food etc.

we will also visit some hotels - popular ones with the Irish so any imput will b great.

restaurants will also be featured as well as transport.

anyone any other ideas for a travel guide?

gspain
26/07/2006, 10:17 PM
public transport,

train/bus schedules from nearby airports

the other football on that weekend - Stuttgart Kickers are at home o nthe friday night - see other football in Stuttgart thread.

shopping/museums/historical sites - there will be some interest.

numbers for the Irish embassy/consulate.

How to get to the stadium

some useful German phrases. - probably no need but no harm in making the effort.

print a copy of the match ticket in the guide to help avoid fakes. Describe any logos/holograms etc - I haven't seen one yet but plenty of people on here have them in their hands.

A petition to get the main road leading to the stadium renamed RayHoughtonstrasse.

Bluetonic
27/07/2006, 7:42 AM
anyone any other ideas for a travel guide?

It would be interesting to see what you can add that people don't know already, or can find out for themself.

I think with the Internet these days the majority of people are information rich by the time they arrive at said destination, travel guides aren't really as useful as they used to be. I know everyone isn't on the Internet but you can be sure one out of every travelling group has had a look online.

A lot of the bars in Stuttgart have thier prices advertised online so that'll be a handy reference point.

One thing you could add into your guide is a reminder to all travelling fans for the forthcoming compagain to get themself a European Health Insurance Card (replacement to the old E111). As an Irish resident you are entitled to get healthcare through the public system in countries of the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland if you become ill or injured while on a temporary stay there. Having the card will save a lot of hassle at the time - www.ehic.ie

Sligo Hornet
27/07/2006, 7:45 AM
shopping/museums/historical sites - there will be some interest.

Yeah right......bound to be huge interest!!:D :D ........Then again, if it's p*ssin down..........:rolleyes:

Paulie
27/07/2006, 10:41 AM
I know it's been mentioned already about pubs but if you could find out specifically if there are pubs at or near the stadium. It's just that sometimes you go to the ground early only to find that it's in the middle of nowhere with no pubs for miles.

Stuttgart88
27/07/2006, 10:50 AM
Why not review some local traditional pubs, not just Irish ones?

For away trips I prefer to go to local pubs except for the hours preceding the game.

I was in Dusseldorf during the WC and the range of local beers was fantastic. One dark brown beer even made my raw black pudding & raw onion sandwich taste good! I'm a bit of a beer snob & one of the highlights of the weekend will be trying local beers .

Fr. Joe
27/07/2006, 12:32 PM
Was there for World Cup didn't venture out to Stadium only passed it in the car looks in a rural sorta setting-its located in a park about 5 miles outside town beside the river. Loadsa beer tents set up and that sorta thing but not really a built up area.So dunno about any pubs around the stadium itself.

Beer was cheap in centre of city (Schlossplatz, big Square-where World Cup Fan Zone was located).

You can walk around the city with glass bottles from pub to pub.

Can't think of the name of the street where we ended up one nite but it looks like the main "bar" street door to door pubs catering for all sorta.

Some bars (mostly really trendy ones) you get a voucher going in and you use this to pay for drinks then you cash it on the way out at the door and settle the bill.

Doormen on most bars, but for World Cup everything was hassle-free and they didn't bother us, a group of 7 fellas.

We thought the beer wasn't great out there, the local pils is what to drink, you could drink buckets of it and feel perfect the next morning.
The smaller the glass, we felt the better the quality-so we were ordering small pils (vier kleine pils or phonetically "fear kline ah pils") typically these were around €1ish a go they're 200ml glass's so you could convert it and say its €2.50 a pint :D

I think in a few places we drank bottles of Beck's Gold which were less than €2

Simple to get around on a very straight forward transport system with trams and subway both I think run out to Stadium at very regular intervals

And finally if ye're bringing the other halves, great shopping to had in the city centre ;)

Junior
27/07/2006, 12:55 PM

Agree 100%. Please don't 'feed' this pathetic notion of going to Oirish pubs whilst away!!!!! at least if you do try and ensure you select them based on your good experiences and not just another pub that will rake it in and fleece the fans....

Find some decent alternative bars, whether they be German or of another theme

NeilMcD
27/07/2006, 1:13 PM

For away trips I prefer to go to local pubs except for the hours preceding the game.

I was in Dusseldorf during the WC and the range of local beers was fantastic. One dark brown beer even made my raw black pudding & raw onion sandwich taste good! I'm a bit of a beer snob & one of the highlights of the weekend will be trying local beers .

Stuttgart, I am the same as yourself, I love the trying new beers and Dublin is great nowadays for having beers from around Europe but there are always one or 2 local ones that you cant get your hands on here. Also on draught is always so much better. I am the same with local pubs etc. I will be arriving on the Wednesday and hopefully I will post here on thursday or Friday about where are good non Irish pubs to go to.

Stuttgart88
27/07/2006, 1:22 PM
Stuttgart, I am the same as yourself, I love the trying new beers and Dublin is great nowadays for having beers from around Europe but there are always one or 2 local ones that you cant get your hands on here. Also on draught is always so much better. I am the same with local pubs etc. I will be arriving on the Wednesday and hopefully I will post here on thursday or Friday about where are good non Irish pubs to go to.Glad to hear Dublin is getting better, though there goes my dream of running a specialty beer shop in Temple Bar! I think the Irish market used to be sold terribly short. Apart from Guinness you could only buy crappy mass produced lagers like Heineken & Carlsberg etc.

NeilMcD
27/07/2006, 1:46 PM
Yeah there is a great off licence around the corner from me on the Malahide Road which has won off licence of the year a few times which is has loads of Polish German, Czech beers and beers from many other countries also. There is of course the Porter House in Temple Bar which brews its own and stocks a good range of beers also but is a bit pricey. Most bars now will at least stock Erdinger or Franzikaner 2 wheat beers. There is a Polish beer which is called Okocha or Okochim or something which is a nice beer.

Bit off topic but yeah I am lookilng forward to going to Stuttgart and trying the local brew. Maybe we can meet up over a few beers and discuss the finer points of the local beer and what the starting line up should be against Germany.

theleprechaun
27/07/2006, 7:17 PM
ya i was over in stuttgart at the wc myself. i am not exactly sure if there are any pubs near the stadium that will be open after the game but there is one in the merz-benz musuem (and was not too pricy) which is very near the stadium but it may not be open that late but while the matches were on at the wc it did stay open late. the musuem itself is also worth checking out, it is really cool

geysir
27/07/2006, 8:45 PM
We thought the beer wasn't great out there, the local pils is what to drink, you could drink buckets of it and feel perfect the next morning.
That sounds agreeable to my liver.

There is already plenty of info on german beer out there.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~patto1ro/stutpubs.htm

Maybe this beer will meet any snobs tastebuds with satisfaction
Amber lager - Märzen.. 5.8%
Apple, raisin, malt and margerine aroma; sweetish/bitterish taste with apple and toffee aromas; bitter finish with butter, hop and fruit aromas. A reasonable fruity, bittersweet beer that is about right for the style.

Jens1893
28/07/2006, 10:45 AM
A petition to get the main road leading to the stadium renamed RayHoughtonstrasse.

that idea has been rejected. :p

Jens1893
28/07/2006, 10:49 AM
There´s 3 at the ground.

SSC, my local ... the PSV, right behind the Untertürkheimer Kurve and the Rot Weiss.

NeilMcD
28/07/2006, 10:51 AM
Why we beat your great rivals England there.

Jens1893
28/07/2006, 11:11 AM
Why we beat your great rivals England there.

There´s plenty of Stuttgart players far more deserving of such an honour than Ray Houghton.

NeilMcD
28/07/2006, 11:39 AM
Thomas Bertolt maybe.

Mento
28/07/2006, 12:41 PM
that idea has been rejected. :p

maybe when we go over we can stick up a sly ray houghton plack!!

Jens1893
28/07/2006, 4:31 PM
Thomas Bertolt maybe.

Robert Schlienz :)

RogerMilla
28/07/2006, 4:42 PM
mento great call . a plaque deffo the way to go. we need to contact the club ASAP and have an unveiling on the day!!